Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm a ribeye kinda guy. Things you could put on a ribeye...

Sea salt and fresh ground pepper are mandatory.

A pat of a compound butter(I like rosemary, thyme, parsley and garlic) while it's resting.

or

Bearnaise sauce
Au poivre sauce
Wine/demiglace reduction.

I saute mushrooms and then add Marsala wine and garlic. Reduce the wine by 1/2. Excellent sauce and mushrooms for your steak...
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything grass fed is going to be better for you and leaner.  I'll take a shoulder cut of grass fed at $9 a pound as opposed to some corn fed NY strip.  Really, it's that big of a difference.  Only downside is grass fed in a filet cut is something like $30 a pound.

I really don't understand why beef that's fed cheap, low nutrition feed and isn't shipped to a feedlot, is more expensive than real beef.

It just blows my mind. It's like a scam.

There's a lot less of it.

What happens to the price when an item is scarce?
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#3]
There is only one cut to enjoy on such a day.  Filet Mignon!!   A little salt and pepper is all you'll need.  But before grilling, press on the fleshy part of your palm, right next to your thumb.  Then grill the Filet until it feels just like that.   Perfect!!  YUM!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I like a bone-in rib steak, myself.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything grass fed is going to be better for you and leaner.  I'll take a shoulder cut of grass fed at $9 a pound as opposed to some corn fed NY strip.  Really, it's that big of a difference.  Only downside is grass fed in a filet cut is something like $30 a pound.

I really don't understand why beef that's fed cheap, low nutrition feed and isn't shipped to a feedlot, is more expensive than real beef.

It just blows my mind. It's like a scam.

There's a lot less of it.

What happens to the price when an item is scarce?

You mean like diamonds?
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Look for a well marbled rib-eye.

Salt and pepper should be all you need.

This or a nice filet.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

/thread

Just finished eating said steak with said seasoning. It was the best I've ever had. I'm a  convert. I usually use all kinds of seasonings on my steak. Sea salt and pepper was the best. I cooked it 4 min per side on my gas grill on high as mentioned earlier (500 degrees F) and it was perfect.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Every man needs to watch this video....

Steakhouse Cuts with a total hottie

This counts for 2 credit hours towards your Man Card continuing education.

in this video, the "rich and flavorful top muscle" identified at 4:11 is by far the best tasting part of any cow.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a ribeye kinda guy. Things you could put on a ribeye...

Sea salt and fresh ground pepper are mandatory.

A pat of a compound butter(I like rosemary, thyme, parsley and garlic) while it's resting.

or

Bearnaise sauce
Au poivre sauce
Wine/demiglace reduction.

I saute mushrooms and then add Marsala wine and garlic. Reduce the wine by 1/2. Excellent sauce and mushrooms for your steak...

Add a little heavy cream!
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:05:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
don't get a Flat Iron, those things taste like shit

The is strong in this post.

Flat Iron is the best kept secret in the steak world. The only thing more tender is filet, and the flavor is excellent. If it tastes like shit, you must be boiling it in your toilet.

Agree. The flat iron steak is lean, tastes great, and is relatively cheap.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#12]
The HEB has pretty nice prime strips on sale for $10/lb with regularity.

Seared on a turkey fryer/cast iron skillet

Cooked sous vide, finished on the turkey fryer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I went to the grocery store and looked over there selection in the aisle and te butcher shop and all it looked fairly lean. I picked up a boneless ribeye but I'm going to hit up our other grocery store tomorrow or tonight.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#14]

the only thing I see that's wrong is the lack of a tumbler with about 3 fingers of bourbon in it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Personally, strip is my fav. I'm not a fan of ribeye, I don't like fat/marbling.

So Wally World "USDA Inspected" meat is what you want then...little to no marbling on ANY of the cuts...

I usually buy from the local butcher, if I'm in a rush Kroger. Not a fan at all of Walmart meat.

how much do you pay per pound for the meat you like? Non-marbled cuts should be less expensive than a perfectly marbled ribeye; as mentioned earlier, it's aprt of the grading process.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

1st post nailed it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Porterhouse.

I'd demand you turn in your man card, but your questions indicate you don't have on.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Porterhouse.

I'd demand you turn in your man card, but your questions indicate you don't have on.

sorry that I hunt my own meat and don't usually need to buy steaks. Apparently that makes me a woman.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bootleather my ass..everything we cooked was medium rare....not overcooked at all....sorry guys our grill takes a while but I know how filets should be served! Once again DID NOT OVERCOOK!

Medium rare is overcooked for a filet.

What does your grill cook at? 200 degrees?

depends on the beef.  i used to be a hardcore rare-only guy.  then i sat down with the chef at our restaurant and he straightened me out.  filets are super-easy to overcook because they're so lean, but going from 125 internal to 130 internal made a substantial positive difference.  after 135 though, it started going downhill rapidly.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Unless its a damn good cut of meat, I'll take a strip over a ribeye.

That said, filet mignon trumps all

strips are generally more consistent.  ribeyes are more of a gamble.  chances are that you'll never be disappointed by a strip, but you'll also never get that transcendent experience of a great ribeye.  unfortunately, ribeyes tend to be either great or disappointing.

i'll take my chances...
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What cut is that? Looks good!

nice ribeyes. I like mine a touch thicker, but the marbling on those looks good.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Ribeye w/ some kosher salt and pepper.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless its a damn good cut of meat, I'll take a strip over a ribeye.
That said, filet mignon trumps all

strips are generally more consistent. ribeyes are more of a gamble.  chances are that you'll never be disappointed by a strip, but you'll also never get that transcendent experience of a great ribeye.  unfortunately, ribeyes tend to be either great or disappointing.  

i'll take my chances...

If you watch the "steakhouse cuts with a hottie" video that was posted, she explains why that is with ribeyes.  Said "hottie" is a female chef/cook at a high end steak house.

There's another video on that channel with grilling instruction from the same chef
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ZLkaCbgJ8
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What cut is that? Looks good!

Ribeye
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#26]
No question, my favorite steak....Ribeye cooked at rocket temps on the Big Green Egg.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I get a few pounds of hanging tenders and spend the time to make individual steaks from it. It's a little known cut, and they're also referred to as the "butcher's tenders" because most butchers would keep it for themselves.  It's a muscle that isn't used in cows bred to be eaten, as it's a muscle that is only used when making baby cows. If you want flavor and so tender that it cuts with the side of a fork- that's whatcha want. Makes the filet mignon the SECOND most tender cut.
The one issue- your butcher will need to prepare the smaller cuts for you or you will need a sharp knife and about 15 minutes to carve 'em up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I get a few pounds of hanging tenders and spend the time to make individual steaks from it. It's a little known cut, and they're also referred to as the "butcher's tenders" because most butchers would keep it for themselves.  It's a muscle that isn't used in cows bred to be eaten, as it's a muscle that is only used when making baby cows. If you want flavor and so tender that it cuts with the side of a fork- that's whatcha want. Makes the filet mignon the SECOND most tender cut.
The one issue- your butcher will need to prepare the smaller cuts for you or you will need a sharp knife and about 15 minutes to carve 'em up.

Meat curtains?
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#29]
This is the best they had.

I'll give it a shot tonight and post pictures.

Link Posted: 4/1/2013 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#30]

That'll work.

Just don't over-cook it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2013 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nice. Hopefully no one has called dibs on her for Steak and a BJ day. So, dibs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#32]
That's a good looking steak. You did good! Waiting on the pics.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I like
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We just did Filet Mignon's the other day bought from a local butcher/Italian market... about 1 1/2" to 2" inches thick ..little Weber closed top charcoal grill...charcoal grill em about 18-20 minutes time total.. put em on when coals are white hot and turn em every 6 minutes!

You only flip a steak once.

If anything you can turn it once on each side to produce nice grill marks, but as stated above only one flip
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice. Hopefully no one has called dibs on her for Steak and a BJ day. So, dibs.

She has a wedding ring
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top