Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/20/2013 11:59:26 AM EDT

I've been following The Walking Dead and there are, of course, a lot of abandoned vehicles.

I would imagine that in a post-zombie SHTF scenario, 99% of these vehicles would not have keys.

Now, you used to see on TV where a person would reach under the dash, pull out a couple of wires and rub them together and the car would start.

How difficult would it be in real life?

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It's pretty easy depending on the make/model.

The 'hard' part is breaking the steering column lock.

But in a walking dead scenario, you could get about 90% of cars driveable in 30 min or less.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
60's and 70's cars used to be easy, then it got harder...now try hopping in that fucking beemer and ripping a wire bundle out and doing it.

Hollywood laffs, again.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it easier from under the hood?  Avoiding components in the steering column possibly?

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the car.  In a Walking Dead-dead type scenario, I suppose you'd get good at both the hot-wiring and at choosing the low hanging fruit pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Completely impossible in some cases.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
With todays modern security systems, its very hard on most cars.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Older car: use a slide hammer to pull out the ignition and a screwdriver to turn the switch.
Newer car????
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Any vehicle with a security chip in the key will disable the computer.  No hotwiring is going to work unless you have another computer and key.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#10]
new cars are not that easy.
most have interlock systems that stop the car from running without the key/code from the key itself.

older cars are pretty simple as shown.

was watching a castle episode and they are running around trying to get away from the bad guys, and I was thinking what cars in the background could be hot wired vs would die when you tried.

pretty much have to be older than 10 years to have a chance. even then a lot of cars had chips that needed to be there.

harder, not impossible.

the twist 2 wires together and jump a 3rd is pretty accurate, but does a lot of damage.

2 alligator clips under the hood would do the same without tearing wires. for old enough cars you can see the starter solinod and coil anyway.

steering wheel interlock is not that tough.

and in the walking dead scenrio your problem would be bad gas and dead batteries.
I really doubt anyone took their keys with them.

modern cars might last 3 to 4 weeks before they killed the battery.
1 year on old gas, most won't start or run right.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Newer car????

Most manufactures have an internally coded key that needs to be seen by the car or the pcm will not send the signal to fire injector pulse.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Modern computer controlled embedded security make whats seen on TV unreal. The days of ripping out some wires, stripping them and touching them together is gone. The car will crank and maybe even start for a few seconds but once the computer doesn't see the key it will shut down.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#13]
It is as easy as shorting the ignition wires with a screw driver. (Basically as easy as tv makes it)

89-00 honda civics can literally be stolen and driven away with a medium flat head screw driver.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Most anything up to the 2nd generation of "chipped" keys is pretty simple. No idea really after that though.

As far as The Walking dead is concerned though, most vehicles would likely still have their keys in the vehicle. A lot of them looked like they were abandoned or attacked where they sit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Any Dodge product is stupidly easy, most modern Fords are not too bad (gotta disable the anti-theft system fuel cut off though,) and GMs ain't tough either.  Japanese cars are doable but tougher, and I never learned how to start a BMW or Mercedes (and if they get stolen around here they are typically towed.)

6 years in auto theft.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any vehicle with a security chip in the key will disable the computer.  No hotwiring is going to work unless you have another computer and key.

Not true at all, I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm sure the real professionals have still figured out ways with the new cars.  Joy riders have a tougher time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#19]
what about jumping the terminals on the starter itself under the vehicle?  Done this on low tech equipment and older vehicles, not sure what it does to anything recent.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
what about jumping the terminals on the starter itself under the vehicle?  Done this on low tech equipment and older vehicles, not sure what it does to anything recent.

You'd just end up killing the starter, most likely.  I mean, if the car isn't chip keyed, you might get it going, but the steering wheel will still be locked.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Any Dodge product is stupidly easy, most modern Fords are not too bad (gotta disable the anti-theft system fuel cut off though,) and GMs ain't tough either.  Japanese cars are doable but tougher, and I never learned how to start a BMW or Mercedes (and if they get stolen around here they are typically towed.)

6 years in auto theft.

You'd be a handy guy to have around  

My skills were handy for a bit towards the end of '05, to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is it easier from under the hood?  Avoiding components in the steering column possibly?

dont help when the colum is locked and u cant turn
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

just keep going till you find a car thats facing the proper direction, hotwire, drive, repeat.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

just keep going till you find a car thats facing the proper direction, hotwire, drive, repeat.

Now that's thinking outside the box!

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd just end up killing the starter, most likely.  I mean, if the car isn't chip keyed, you might get it going, but the steering wheel will still be locked.

Yep. The injectors won't fire, or coils, or whatever the PCM on that particular car has tied to security.

Also, I have read that the new keyless cars can be hacked either via wi-fi or through their data connector. Now that I think of it, someone with a scan tool with reprogramming functions could probably get around the security that way.

EDIT- also, anyone who installs remote starters will have the knowledge/skills to steal most cars. They bypass security all the time for installs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I guess unless you can deal with the steering column another way while avoiding the complexity of the ignition components in the column.  
Maybe you can hook up steering cables to the tie rods while I fuck around with wires under the hood.
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMFAO!

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Seriously, all the roads on walking dead are long straight, hilly, county highways, the abandoned cars are ripe for the picking depending on where you wanna go!
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's pretty easy depending on the make/model.

The 'hard' part is breaking the steering column lock.

But in a walking dead scenario, you could get about 90% of cars driveable in 30 min or less.

My dad shared a humorous story to that effect with me years ago.  He was at the beach with some friends and was about to leave when a few teenagers asked him for help with their car. They told him that they had lost the keys while swimming earlier and needed to get home.

Dad said he verified the young man's DL info with  the registration address, and * assisted him * in hotwiring  the kid's mom's car. They got it started, all piled in and started to drive off of the beach. They went to make a right onto the highway and discovered in short order why the steering wheel lock was invented.

The old man got their phone number and called the kid's mom when he got  to the nearest phone booth. Good times.

Oh the fail.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#29]
My buddy in highschool had a dodge dart and I had a same year dodge truck. Our keys worked in each others rigs so we'd trade cars on each other every once in a while. You come out form work and your truck has been replaced with a mini muscle car, you shrug your shoulders and go for a drive.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Most anything up to the 2nd generation of "chipped" keys is pretty simple. No idea really after that though.

As far as The Walking dead is concerned though, most vehicles would likely still have their keys in the vehicle. A lot of them looked like they were abandoned or attacked where they sit.

A lot of them would have run until out of fuel as well....
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Learn to drive a split transmission

a 2013 class 8 truck is still under 10 seconds without the key

Freightliners can be done without doing any damage or being able to tell it was ever hotwired
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've been following The Walking Dead and there are, of course, a lot of abandoned vehicles.

I would imagine that in a post-zombie SHTF scenario, 99% of these vehicles would not have keys.

Now, you used to see on TV where a person would reach under the dash, pull out a couple of wires and rub them together and the car would start.

How difficult would it be in real life?

On my CJ-7?  Damn easy - done it more than once:)
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm sure the real professionals have still figured out ways with the new cars.  Joy riders have a tougher time.

Yup, the Answer to get the Key. The easiest way to do this is to break into the owners house and steal the key.
[This is one of the only drive away options with European cars]

Reminds me a lot of this XKCD cartoon

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#34]
How you going to get the steering column unlocked so you can turn the steer the front wheels?
and no....you aren't just going to pull down two wires and spark start a car....the wires attached to the actual switch mechanism (and there are many) aren't long enough to drop 6-8 inches below the dash.

Quit believing what you see from Hollyweird.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#35]
My civic can be stolen with a fucking stick of gum or Popsicle stick.

Just turn your fake key and go.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#36]
so how does the professional steal a new 2013 exotic car and ship it to Russia or Mexico?
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Impossible on most newer cars that have coded keys. In older cars it's easier to strip the steering column to disable the wheel lock and pull the key cylinder. Then you can start it with a screw driver as the "key".
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
so how does the professional steal a new 2013 exotic car and ship it to Russia or Mexico?

Flatbed, or steal the key
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Impossible on most newer cars that have coded keys. In older cars it's easier to strip the steering column to disable the wheel lock and pull the key cylinder. Then you can start it with a screw driver as the "key".

I've got a guy at the Mercedes dealership that can order them from Germany for me
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A lot of the chips are just resistors.  You just need a resistor of the right value and you can bypass the whole thing easily.

I know on the GM cars that used their VATS system, there was only like 14 possible resistors.  Sure, would take a bit to find the right one, but in an end of the world scenario you'd pretty much have nothing but time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
With todays modern security systems, its very hard on most cars.

This. My brother has been a mechanic for 30 years.  He laughs at all the 3 second hot wiring on TV.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of them would have run until out of fuel as well....

I think LPG conversions are the way to go for a BOV. Fuel can be found everywhere in rural areas in the form of big shiny tanks besides houses and it never goes bad.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I had someone try to drill the ignition of my Yamaha R1 and had to figure out how to "hot wire" a new switch, it took a few hours including getting it apart/together.

Also you can back out those one way ignition screws by hammering a sharpened flat blade screwdriver into them
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Ignition chips

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of the chips are just resistors.  You just need a resistor of the right value and you can bypass the whole thing easily.

I know on the GM cars that used their VATS system, there was only like 14 possible resistors.  Sure, would take a bit to find the right one, but in an end of the world scenario you'd pretty much have nothing but time.

Only GM used a system like than, and it was phased out by 2000, so its not all that common anymore.  Plus, if you try to start the car with the wrong resistor, it goes into a temporary lockdown and you have to wait about 3 minutes before you can try another.  So, not really that easy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Merle was readin' this thread.

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#48]
1980-1990s F150s and Crown Victorias are stupid easy. It's not uncommon for them to wear out the key cylinders and hotwire themselves.

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Motorcycles are easy, particularly older ones from the 70-80s. Bigger problem would be dead batteries and gas gone wrong.

Fuck it not like you guys will ever do it

On most japanese bikes of that time period there was a tube at the top of the forks you inserted the key in. It is held by three or four pins. Grab it with a big vise grips (or pipe wrench etc) crank on it hard and the pins will snap and the top 1/4 or so will come off. You'll see a large sort of slot area at the bottom of the tube, turn it with a screwdriver and you can start the motorcycle.

There are also a limited number of keys for every model of car. It would take forever but if you try enough Civics with a Civic key eventually one will work.

Yeah but the physical key is half the trouble with modern cars. You would also have to fake the ECU into seeing the right code
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#50]
new cars are almost impossible start and drive away without the key and fob
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top