Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've already told you about my new POS, but didn't have time to tell about the old POS, so here it goes.  I bought it for $500 3 years ago.  I've only had to replace the headlights, and put 30K on it so I guess I can't complain.

85 Chevy Celebrity 2.8L V6
-160K+ or 260+ take your pick
-Can see ground through hole in floor under drivers seat
-Exhaust, whats that?
-Majority of front of car missing (grill shroud, and fiberglass piece forward of hood)
-Bald tires
-Duct tape holding parts of the interior together
-Oil visibly oozes out of engine, between block and head.

If anyone in MN would like to buy the above mentioned beauty drop me an email.  Thats right, it's for sale!  It looks like hell, but somehow the damn thing keeps running.  I can't figure it out, but oh well. I'd sell it for $200 if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting that this came up today--my girlfriend said something about my air conditioning not working this week....
86 Nissan Maxima S--yep another one--also known as the maxima of death---jokingly because everything in the damn car is dying--AC, Stereo,
power steering--yep that moaning is the steering pump, odometer--how many of them break?, fog lights-damn curbs, power windows--two down two to go...power locks, but it starts and runs like a dream.....oh well
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
My commuter is a 1985 mecury cougar. It has 256,000 miles on it.
After that comes my 77 F150 4x4.
Then the 85 F350 4x4.
I'd still be driving the 68 chev 4x4 if I had a fresh engine.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Drive a toyota POS.

Have never owned a new car.  Something always drains my funds.  Hoping ot get a new car soon.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
'89 Toyota Corolla w/ 180,000 miles
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 91 Chevy Blazer S-10 4x4. It has rust and peeling paint all over the body and smokes like crazy on cold starts but the stereo works fine and when I crank up the music and roll down the windows on a nice day I feel like a million bucks. [:)]
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I miss my POS.
It was a 1980 Red Ford 3/4 ton. I bought it off a prison chaplain. It had 3 or four strategically placed dents that kept all other cars out of my lane.
It had a tire mounted on the front, that I used as a bumper.
It's ride was so rough, it may my wife's chest jiggle. She used to have to wear a good bra if I drove.
Anyway, it was stolen two months ago.
I asked the officer who would want a 1980 POS that drank oil.
They told me it was already in Mexico, by the time I finished my police report.
I will miss that truck. Now I drive a 91 Civic, but in October, I am looking at getting a new F-150.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
My POS is only a POS to people who apparently like always having a monthly $300+ car note. I thought my 85 K10 w/6.2L diesel would be the first Chevy diesel listed, but I was too late [:(] It has either 145K or 245K (I bought it almost 2 1/2 years ago, and the 86K on the clock seemed a little low for a 14-year-old truck.) My rubber floor matting is ruined due to the power steering fluid that's leaking from the hydro-booster (power brake unit) and down th firewall. I've had a knock in the motor for about a year now but it hasn't gotten worse so I'm not going to mess with it. It makes a hell of a racket when you idle in neutral with the clutch out, to, but I'm gonna wait till it's noisy with the clutch in to replace the throwout bearing. The best thing is being able to smoke people when you take off - my favorite people to do it to are the guys in the little bassmobiles at the stoplight next to you, especially if their windows are down [:D] There's no real rust since it's a Texas/Oklahoma truck (but the NH winters are trying to take care of that for me) and because of this I'm going to rebuild it from the ground up - new (rebuilt) 6.5L turbodiesel, rebuilt transmission and transfer case, 1-ton front and rear axles, redone interior, and a new wiring harness I'm going to make. All bodywork done and new paint too, of course. Why am I spending this kind of money (about $10K) on a 16-year-old truck? Because it'll outlast a new truck bought today and I'll more than get my investment back.
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#10]
By gosh, I've run down tires so the wires were sticking out, and once replaced my muffler with a better one I found on the side of the road. Once I was driving my old pickup around a sharp curve and a section of 1/4 inch steel plate I had next to me on the seat slid off the far end and slipped through the gap under the passenger door and landed in the road. Or my former plow truck, that had the engine rip loose from the mounts and wouldn't run because the distributor cap was jammed too tight against the firewall. I got my shotgun and fired 6 rounds through the firewall into a chunk of firewood under the dash, put the cap back on and drove it home.

Ha! Beat that!
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to have a nice 95 Jeep cherokee, bu tit didn't have enough power to tow anything, I was afraid to scratch it when offroad, and the payments and insurance were too expensive. So I bought a 77 Cherokee for $600 and cut off the rusty fender flares with a sawsall and installed big tires.  I love it!  Strange thing is my wife likes it too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#12]
79 chevy truck I bought in 86 with 130,000 on it. put in a new long block in 87.  drove it another 8 years or so and the tranny went out. got the tranny rebuilt and aside from minor repairs every now and then 'bin driveing it ever since. replaced the rusted hood and a bent fender this past year and had it shot with primer. a few rust holes but body is straight. less than 4500 dollars in it in 14 years. don't know how many miles are on it now,the odometer quit working at least 10 years ago.
88 s-10 blazer,bought it new cuz I needed something with A/C in Houston to go to work and for those times when a person needs a nice ride. 106,000 miles and counting. No major repairs. Last New vehicle I'll buy,No more car debt for me. Got a nice 89 Goldwing I bought for cash four years ago,had 3600 miles on it.  It has 11000 miles now and this one will last me a long time. New wife has a 86 buick stationwagon I talked her into buying. 120,000 miles. replaced the radiator and alternator so far. still going strong.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top