Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2013 12:14:22 PM EDT
My old queen size frame has no center support, I'm wondering if the center support is needed

the above sentence is vaguely ghey sounding

I notice the new frames all have the support

i would have thought the box spring would take care of the support, what does the center support do for you?
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the box.  Can it take a pounding without deforming?

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe it is for split box springs?
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine do, i fold that bitch up like a taco
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you a fatass?
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're doing it right they do.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, and you probably want the reinforced frame as well if you have the option.
(This assumes you are not a 75lb 12yr old girl)
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#7]
They started adding the middle leg when the norm for regular folks was obesity.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't fuck much, do you?
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I once broke a half inch thick bed slat.

My girlfriend was quite proud of us.

You need some support.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends, how hard do you fuck?
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
It's recommended on queens now in general, but it's actually kind of critical to have a center support that runs parallel to the outside rails if you're using split queen boxes.

Much the same way that a King Frame will have a support like that to catch all 4 sides of each box.

Boxes used to be actual spring units that were mounted onto flat, hardwood frames. Nowadays, most are just "foundations", a wooden frame, that are usually made of pine so the extra support helps.

Speed
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#12]
QUEEN, NOT REALLY BUT, THE BED WILL LAST LONGER WITH IT THERE
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Broken not one but two beds here.

And more than my fair share of prophylactics

Get the supports or put the mattress on the floor. Many years ago my dad told me it was also a good idea to lag the headboard to the wall.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#14]
The support is needed if you plan on having spirited sex, are overweight, are a hogger (chubby chaser), have a cheap bed, or any combination of the four.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#15]
if you're trying to knock the bottom out of your girl, then yes you do
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#16]
My bedframe had no support at all other than the side rails.  I bought a very expensive mattress and box springs and it started sagging like crazy.  I got fed up so I went to the lumber store and got some 1/2" plywood and 2X4s and built some trusses and a strong as hell platform, and now I sleep like a baby, and my matress does sag.  The "platforms" beds come with today are shit, you need some support in the center if you want them to have a prayer of holding up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's recommended on queens now in general, but it's actually kind of critical to have a center support that runs parallel to the outside rails if you're using split queen boxes.
Much the same way that a King Frame will have a support like that to catch all 4 sides of each box.

Boxes used to be actual spring units that were mounted onto flat, hardwood frames. Nowadays, most are just "foundations", a wooden frame, that are usually made of pine so the extra support helps.

Speed

yeah, but what exactly does the center support actually support

if the box sping is only "touching down" at the sides, what does the center do?  

I could understand if there was some hardpoint in the center of the box sping that was resting on the center support, but it doesnt appear so
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

yeah, but what exactly does the center support actually support

if the box sping is only "touching down" at the sides, what does the center do?  

I could understand if there was some hardpoint in the center of the box sping that was resting on the center support, but it doesnt appear so

It gives it more support, duh

The cheaper boxes use pine that flexes, having a 5 or 6 point frame w/ a center support does not allow that wood to flex as much. That's it.

Some boxes do actually have an "i-beam" joist built in the middle. My hardwood and even my cheap pine boxes come with that.

Speed

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#19]
If you like proper, consistent support over time, and want your mattress and box springs to last longer, then use the middle support.

If you want to be able to lay on your back and bite your own toenails, leave it out.

Also, when you get in bed your significant other will come tumbling towards you like she's been blown in to a ravine by a grenade...
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I suppose that depends on how much weight you're putting on the mattress, and also whether you use two smaller box springs under the mattress.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you're doing it right they do.  

Fuckin' A!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top