Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/2/2013 9:21:08 PM EDT
I look around at all the old guys doing my job and how they've destroyed their bodies and how miserable they are and I'm scared as fuck. It'll be 2047 before I can retire...and the way things are going, I might be doing this until I die.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no such thing for someone my age.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Not really.  In my job you work till you die.  Likely caused by cancer you got from all the chemicals you work with.  I don't expect to live past 60.  How many 80 year old mechanics do you know?
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I am 49 and have accepted that I will probably not retire.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not really.  In my job you work till you die.  Likely caused by cancer you got from all the chemicals you work with.  I don't expect to live past 60.  How many 80 year old mechanics do you know?

My father and a guy who lives down the street.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The whole concept of first world retirement is gonna be dead long before I ever get to that age.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Dont plan on retiring that will solve that problem. I doubt anyone my age will ever retire. Ive got 40 years until I 'can'
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#7]
It would be nice to have that kind of job security.

I love my job, BTW

My boss is like "I want to sell everything I own, go back to school, and start up a company from scratch just to see if I could do it!"  He is retired USAF, his wife is a doctor, and he makes about $100k now at 50.  But he has a lot of innovative energy that is quite impressive to me.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Dont plan on retiring that will solve that problem. I doubt anyone my age will ever retire. Ive got 40 years until I 'can'

For some reason thinking about doing the same job until I die isn't much of an improvement on doing it for 35 more years.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#9]
It frightens the living shit out of me. Has been for the last year.
44 years old a month ago, 24 as a pro-fesh-a-nol mechanic, most of it heavy fleet. I like what I do, but shit...it hurts now. And more than a few years to go...too stupid to do anything else
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Try driving truck for thirty years.most have back problems with arthritis .and it only gets worse. You get to the point tha t walking is painful.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I've worked in food, as a mechanic, and almost in some factories... that's why I'm in school now.  Just might be able to make enough as a chemist to actually retire someday.  And since safety measures are actually taken in this field, I probably won't die unless something horrific happens, or I get into some top secret program and "they" decide I know too much.  Really retirement doesn't seem to feasible to me, but I've got enough hobbies that can make me money, I can retire on that someday.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I retire in 56 days - so no, I am not frightened to do my job until I retire.    

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll retire from my current occupation in 8 years, after 33 years of employment. I'll be 56. I have hobbies and things to keep me occupied, but I'll still opt for part time work somehwere. I don't want to quit working while I'm still able to work, and have something to contribute.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes. There's always the concern we will have another major, full blown kinetic conflict and I won't live to see retirement, but whatever, you were dead the minute you were born.  I'm more scared of the games associated with a peace time Army.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm "scheduled" to retire in 28 years.

Here's the odds as I see them:

USA still exists at that time: 1:1
USA has not seen nationwide civil unrest, violence, and social upheaval by that time: 10:1
I'll be able to comfortably retire:  50:1
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#16]
It's all part of the Plan
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

USA has not seen nationwide civil unrest, violence, and social upheaval by that time: 10:1

Not being able to retire isn't what scares me. Not living to retire isn't what scares me. It's doing the same shit, every day, for 35+ years...

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My father and a guy who lives down the street.

I don't like you now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Try driving truck for thirty years.most have back problems with arthritis .and it only gets worse. You get to the point tha t walking is painful.

Try being the poor dumb bastard that has to change a few tires on them a day, every day, for close to the same amount of time

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not being able to retire isn't what scares me. Not living to retire isn't what scares me. It's doing the same shit, every day, for 35+ years...

Yea, well, that's on you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I define retirement As working part time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm lucky. No males in my family have ever made it to retirement. Shit most don't even make it to 55
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Try being a machinist who had arthritis in his hands before he was 30. The joints in all my fingers are all oversized and distorted.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

44 years old a month ago, 24 as a pro-fesh-a-nol mechanic, most of it heavy fleet. I like what I do, but shit...it hurts now. And more than a few years to go...too stupid to do anything else

This. I don't even like to think about the shit I'm exposed to on a daily basis.

I work on garbage trucks FWIW.

I just keep hoping I will find something really valuable in one of them so I can retire.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I will probably be doing my job until I die.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Eat well.  Take care of yourself physically.  

Enjoy life.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#27]
My job forces me to retire at 56.

Unless I get a waiver, which is shaky.

But I love my job so we'll see
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. I don't even like to think about the shit I'm exposed to on a daily basis.

I just keep hoping I will find something really valuable in one of them so I can retire.

I know someone has to work on garbage trucks, and I'm glad its not me.  I say it every week when they come dump our dumpster.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Death will be my retirement.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try being a machinist who had arthritis in his hands before he was 30. The joints in all my fingers are all oversized and distorted.

I feel you pain brother...It didn't hit me until about 38 though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know someone has to work on garbage trucks, and I'm glad its not me.  I say it every week when they come dump our dumpster.

I'll quit whining....I couldn't work on the maggot wagons
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#32]
My work is such a huge part of my life that I can't see me ever fully retiring. I will most likely work until I die.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Been there, did that, retired.  Retired life is good.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll quit whining....I couldn't work on the maggot wagons

The maggots don't bother me anymore. I worry more about radioactive waste from the cancer patients diapers.

ETA; Post 3000 is a poop post.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I love working the job I have.  If I am working this job when I am 70 great.  I am saving so I can retire though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I will probably be doing my job until I die.

I'm 62, and lost whatever I was gonna retire with, thru the last financial crisis, and a divorce.

I'm broke, physically, and financially.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Death will be my retirement.

I hope not!  Longevity runs on both sides of my family - my grandparents all were vigorous into their 90's.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#38]
The game of life is hard to play
I'm going to lose it anyway
the losing card I'll someday lay
so this is all I have to say........
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I completely blew my 20's so yea I am never going to be able to retire probably.  It is not too frightening with my current career as long as I move up into more comfortable positions.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#40]
I already know I am gonna be 90 still making sammiches...

No retiring here!
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Welcome to Obama's america

Arbeit Mach Frei (sp?)

work will set you free should be Obama's new quote

direct from hitler
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Forklift operator for the past 7 years.  I hope spinal replacement surgery takes a huge leap in the near future.  I'm 25, and I literally grit my teeth just to get through a shift because my back pain is so great.  I have no education or experience doing anything else, so I'm stuck here for now...
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I can technically retire in 7 days and 22 hours.  I won't, but I can and that feels pretty damn good.

Thanks to a year of working out and changing my diet I'm in the best shape I've been in since college (though I still have some work to do).  

I plan on enjoying it when it gets here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Im 29 if im able to retire in ~30 years ill be amazed.

Now that I think about it once my parents are gone I wont even have any family so who cares? Ill cash everything in and play gringo on a beach somewhere until I die.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I am 53 and I hope I will be able to retire in 2 to 3 more years or I could
die tomorrow and ruin everything.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I look around at all the old guys doing my job and how they've destroyed their bodies and how miserable they are and I'm scared as fuck. It'll be 2047 before I can retire...and the way things are going, I might be doing this until I die.  

What is this "retire" you speak of?

Must be a new way of saying "work till we drop dead "

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I am 52 and will retire next year!

Life is good.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#48]
People in my field generally don't retire. Science is something that you practice into your grave.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm going to kill myself before I retire.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
People in my field generally don't retire. Science is something that you practice into your grave.

Same here.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top