Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Papa Joes outside the back gate at Roosy Roads.
The Black Angus in Old Town San Juan.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Never met a squid that didn't love his grog and whores.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:51:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Brings back some good memories. Todays squids would see the Old Man if they did the stuff us squids of the 20th century did.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Balut it is!!!  
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1...or any old bar on Luna Street.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Recognize these?

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]

As a matter of fact  

But those aren't anything compared to riding a tricycle.  

ETA:  I stumbled across a subic nostalgia site one time, that included picture people took in the bars with the hostestutes.  And they ponted out how many of the girls were making hand signs of the communist New Peoples Army in the photos.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you have a short version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hqyDOv4OGs

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Cliff notes please.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I spent many a night in Popeye's, Buffalo's (or Buffaro), New Tokyo, and my favorite Malt's while stationed in Yoko...GOD I MISS the Honch!!!. Not to mention the nights spent on Texas Street in Pusan or Soi 7 (better known as Ordie Alley) in Pattaya, the G-Spot in Guam...
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why. You got a short attention span?
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
That was a great explication/reminiscence, LWilde. All I really have to compare it to is Kinville outside Camp Hansen and Gate Two Street outside Kadena AB in Okinawa.

Good times.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd write more, but I'm afraid my son (now an AE1), might read it and go looking for his Olongapo siblings.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The Black Angus. Damn. I remember paying the mama san at the top of the stairs for room "rent".  The "worker". The bar maids. And watching things go flying out of places and across the bar. And the "workers'.

In Panama I ate monkey on a stick just to say I did. My friend ate something else at the Angus just to say he did. And we got Polaroids and showed him the next day.

The "workers" outside the main gate up in the jungle in Panama.  And the secret place I went to and my friend Mario talked the guy into opening up and the "workers" all came out as I sat on a couch. Corfu Greece. Ouzo. Chicago, Milwaukee and Waukegan. And up and down the east coast. And the time I got the crabs from the stripper in Jacksonville. Good times.

Come to think of it I was a bit of a dirt bag back then. And miss it sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#17]

I think I rode in the one in the first photo.  Jeepnies were neat.  Wish is could get one imported for riding around in the countryside.  Would probably make a good backcountry hunting party hauler.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any of you guys that came through GLakes and remember the strip at 22nd and Sheridan? The Anchor Lounge, Jim's Ranch, Stack's... that's all that's left - memories.

The City tore down the whole corner in anticipation of a developer and then the market took a dump. It's been vacant for years now.

The Anchor and the Blue Jacket Inn? How bout the signs that said 'Sailors and dogs keep off the grass.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Needs more pictures.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Cliff notes please.

There was a time when our military was allowed to drink and we went to countries where there were women.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Popeye's in Yokosuka, Japan, is the greatest bar on the fucking planet!!

God bless Takanori-san.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]
VP Alley Bar on Gordon and Stumpy and Gimpy's Muff Divers Inn in Subic City.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Memories....

Dec 7, 1981 - jan 86 USS Midway, Yokosuka Japan
jan 86-may 89 MMU-1 (Naval Magazine) Cubi Pt RP
93-95 NAS Agana, Guam
98-00 USS Kitty Hawk, Yokosuka, Japan
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Popeye's in Yokosuka, Japan, is the greatest bar on the fucking planet!!

God bless Takanori-san.

Spent many a night there... The had old car seats sitting by the pool table... it looked like there was a riot in that place... They believed that you paid for the alcohol. When I was there 98-01 it was ¥500 for a Jack and a splash of coke. I used to get the "mind eraser" and the "Jedi mind trick" there. I lost my Habu Sake card they gave you when you drank it... Popeyes used to give a Tshirt if you drank like 5(don't remember the exact number) Habu Sake shots.

ETA:

For those that don't know about Habu Sake...

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#25]
You know, I think I actually remember Jimmy the Greek's down in Malta. And definitely a few choice places in Rota.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I was on an ATF out of Newport, and we were berthed at Long Wharf, right across from Leo's. God, I've spent many a dollar, and drank many a beer in that place.

I also remember Freddy's Anchor Bar in Fort Lauderdale. Wonder if it's still there?

And no Norfolk sailor can forget the strip right outside gate 2 at NOB, with the two uniform shops, The Big O, and Bell's Naval Tailors. The whole strip is gone now. The city bought it, and tore down everything.......bars, locker clubs, and all.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm going to be in Pusan in two weeks. This thread has me ready to go!
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#28]
This!
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cliff notes please.

There was a time when our military was allowed to drink and we went to countries where there were women.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Memories....

93-95 NAS Agana, Guam

We were on the Hawk at the same time together. I was on from 98-01 took the ride from San Diego to Yoko. AO2 G-3 Div Weapons Dept.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Memories....

93-95 NAS Agana, Guam

We were on the Hawk at the same time together. I was on from 98-01 took the ride from San Diego to Yoko. AO2 G-3 Div Weapons Dept.

I think I still have a "Hawk Pride" button somewhere
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'm going to be in Pusan in two weeks. This thread has me ready to go!

Wrap it. Don't treat the girls like whores, but don't trust them much either. Anyone with a camera gets their ass kicked. Enjoy.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry, I was in the infantry and i thought that your guys jacked off most of the timej for sex.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Memories....

93-95 NAS Agana, Guam

I think I still have a "Hawk Pride" button somewhere

Funny you should say that. I was going through some of my stuff today getting ready to move and I found my old "Hawk Pride" PT shorts I bought at the ship store. I forgot I even had them. Ha!

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sorry, I was in the infantry and i thought that your guys jacked off most of the timej for sex.

Ha! I went in to the Guard as an 11b after I got out of the Navy... I saw and heard WAAAAYY more shit there about self love than I ever did in the Navy. As soon as we hit port oversees... It was ON!
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Needs more pictures.

Texas Street in Pusan maybe around '87 or '88, before they started catering to the Russians. Blonde Korean hookers, gotta love 'em!!

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hqyDOv4OGs

Shit!  That video was done in Sasebo, Japan!  My first liberty port in Westpac EVER!!!  There used to be a club on the top of a hill called "Fiddler's Green".  Any of y'all remember that place?

So, I'm a newby to Japanland and the guys tell me that the Jap cabbies drive like maniac and the only way to get them to slow down is to say (Wait for it...!):  Haiako!!! We're at the top of the hill at Fiddler's and I want to go to a hotzie bath house and get laid so I jump in a cab and we head down the hill.  Hilarity ensued. That cabbie thought I was crazy.  The looks I was getting and the constant BAKAYORU!  finally clued me in.  I got the rasberry when I got back to the ship.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#37]
For old Yoko,  Sasebo and "station dito" Sailors check this out:

Mangos

There's some old pics in there if you look for 'em

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We took a cherry kid from our machine shop to one of the Turkish "compounds" with $100 and told him not to come back until the money was gone . Also I remenber a beer on the pier(dirt one at that) in suda bay create, partied hard with the crew of a royal navy oilier, good times. USN 92-96 U.S.S. Yellowstone AD-41  Machinery Repairman 3rd Class.

Geep-on-a-stick? My ship hit Crete twice. First was just beer on the pier, the second time around though they turned us loose on the town of Hannia (or however the hell you spell it). Good times.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 4:58:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Any of you guys that came through GLakes and remember the strip at 22nd and Sheridan? The Anchor Lounge, Jim's Ranch, Stack's... that's all that's left - memories.

The City tore down the whole corner in anticipation of a developer and then the market took a dump. It's been vacant for years now.

Sailors from NTC held dungaree liberty on the strip in the summer of '79. 22nd Street is now MLK Boulevarde...

Link Posted: 3/3/2013 5:19:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Habu Sake......Reminds me of BC Street in Okinawa:   Kadena Air Base, Camp Shields, etc.

Anyone familiar with the "Blue Star" in Rota Spain?   It was known as the Battle Star at least in early 80's.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 6:16:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Some great memories here gang!!
Anyone been to the Texas Bar in Lisbon??
Man you could get a beer, a haircut & a blowjob all at the same time for 5 bux
How bout the EM club at Gitmo.. You were advised to get the hell outa there well before closing or get the ride in the cattle truck. Seen a few good brawls there..
Caught a dose of the clap from a whore in Cap Hatien Haiti.
Fell off a second floor fire escape while puking in Barcelona. (that one left a few scars)
Trader John's in Pensacola, FL was a hoot..
Would I do it again??
Fuck Yeah!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Oh Lord, habu sake..... [shudder]

Went bar crawling around the honch with a buddy doing his CHENG deal out of Yokoska in 2004; both of us are a bit young to have had the times you gents had back then. (My dad has some similar stories..)

Cross On was his favorite watering hole; there are (were?) two of them and from my understanding there was some informal understandings about what ship sent guys to what areas of the honch, unless the Kitty Hawk was in, then it was basically the surface guys vs the aviating set, which as a civ looking in from the outside, was interesting on multiple levels.

But habu sake is just straight nasty. But after a few beers, it doesn't really bother you anymore. Ask me how I know.

And LWilde, I had no idea you were that old, ahem, experienced....

TR
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Some great memories here gang!!

Anyone been to the Texas Bar in Lisbon??

Man you could get a beer, a haircut & a blowjob all at the same time for 5 bux

How bout the EM club at Gitmo.. You were advised to get the hell outa there well before closing or get the ride in the cattle truck. Seen a few good brawls there..

Caught a dose of the clap from a whore in Cap Hatien Haiti.

Fell off a second floor fire escape while puking in Barcelona. (that one left a few scars)

Would I do it again??

Fuck Yeah!!

Yes!  I pulled SP duty once in that shithole in '70.  Just about closing time, the Gunny in charge brought in some duece and 1/2s to pick up the drunken Gyrenes while we Navy guys rounded up the Navy drunks and put them on the "cattle cars" for the trip back to the piers.  The Marines were mostly dudes just back from the Bush and they were pretty sketchy.  I remember them trying to entice the sailors out of the "line" from the club to the cattle cars so they could smash them into dust.  We SPs and Marine MPs were lined up between the trucks and the cattle car train to prevent that.  Then one of the very drunk and buff Marines put another Marine in a rear naked choke hold and was killing him with the Gunny and the rest of the Corps present trying mightily to break the guy's hold.  I thought he was going to kill that kid.  The Gunny finally sorted it out and the vic just passed out on the bed of the truck while the other Marines sat on the perp back to the barracks.

On the way to the piers one little snipe made a comment about tossing the SPs off the cattle car.  I looked the little prick in the eye and promised him if that went down, he was going with me.    We had Marine/SP pickups ahead and behind every trailor and if something bad started we were to wave our nightstick out the door or window of the trailor to indicate an emergency.  Didn't happen that night.   I hated GITMO!

Remember the goats?  They were everywhere.

Link Posted: 3/3/2013 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Some great memories here gang!!...

Would I do it again??

Fuck Yeah!!

Oh yeah, Trader Johns. Legendary among Naval Aviators and air crews. Given mention in An Officer and A Gentleman, as the cadets went to called "TJ's". Sad day when it closed.

Link Posted: 3/3/2013 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#46]
The Dulac Dat in Dulac, La.

Link Posted: 3/3/2013 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#47]
That shit still happens in some places like Okinawa and Guam in "after hours" places.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'd write more, but I'm afraid my son (now an AE1), might read it and go looking for his Olongapo siblings.

You too!

You knew it was going to be a blast when Chief handed out the USN Issued Raincoats before hitting the beach...

Being a "Desert Sailor"  

You cant forget:

Tylos Hotel Manama

Londoner Club Manama

Dallas Hotel Dubai (combo cat house)

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Horse and Cow in Vallejo and San Diego are my two all time favorite sailor dive bars. The Freak's Stagger Inn in Olongapo holds a special place also but the H&C reigns supreme in drunken debauchery.

I have a book somewhere at work where an actual Navy historian comments that Whinnie and Moos had a better collection of sub memerablia than the actual US Navy Submarine museum.

Way back in the day, the one in Vallejo had a big sumarine on the top of the very tall sign along the interstate.  Final tool it down after one too many drunken submariner fell off trying to pain a different number on the sail  That sub sat for years on the dance floor, and they eventually put up a tiny one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top