In a jar in the frig.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Unstrained in my body.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:57:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Unstrained in a canning jar by the stove.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lots of people store it on their waste, butt, etc

Waste =/= waist
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]
You can store it unrefrigerated, but it will go rancid eventually because of the particulates in it.

There's a process where you boil it with baking soda to refine it (same as when you refine tallow) and it will keep for a long time unrefrigerated. Not as long as beef tallow but, a long time. It's basically refined lard at that point.

It usually doesn't last that long, at my house.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can store it unrefrigerated, but it will go rancid eventually because of the particulates in it.

There's a process where you boil it with baking soda to refine it (same as when you refine tallow) and it will keep for a long time unrefrigerated. Not as long as beef tallow but, a long time. It's basically refined lard at that point.

How long until you think it goes bad in your opinion?
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+1 This.  My relatives on the farm did this for 4 or 5 generations with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Umm frozen, where is the frozen option?
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Unstrained in an old metal coffee can that sits on the counter near the stove, just like my dad used to do.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/18221/how-long-does-grease-take-to-go-bad-rancid-when-sitting-out

Fat doesn't spoil like other foods. No bacteria can live in fat. Going rancid is a chemical reaction in which the fat molecules break down. So "leaving out" is not a problem.

The major factors in going rancid are light and air. The more light hits your fat, the sooner it goes rancid. Also, rancidity occurs when the fat is oxidized, meaning that if you prevent contact with air, your fat will last longer.

Both factors are minimized by transferring the fat to a tightly closed opaque container. With liquid oils, you use a dark colored bottle. As bottles are impractical for solid fat, just strain your grease into a jar, close it, and put it in a cupboard. The shelf life should be many months, probably more than a year.

Also, don't worry that you can get something nasty when the grease goes bad unnoticed. Rancid fat isn't a big safety risk, and ingesting it in small amounts is not problematic. If it stinks, throw it our. Before that, there is no problem to eat it.

The above assumes pure, well strained fat. Pieces of fried meat left over in the fat are a safety risk, even tiny ones.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:06:12 AM EDT
[#16]
around my waist
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Unstrained, in a ziplock bag, in the trash.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:07:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I throw it away.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#19]
in the trash
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#20]
throw that stuff in a jar and throw that jar in the fridge. bing bang boom. done
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/18221/how-long-does-grease-take-to-go-bad-rancid-when-sitting-out

Fat doesn't spoil like other foods. No bacteria can live in fat. Going rancid is a chemical reaction in which the fat molecules break down. So "leaving out" is not a problem.

The major factors in going rancid are light and air. The more light hits your fat, the sooner it goes rancid. Also, rancidity occurs when the fat is oxidized, meaning that if you prevent contact with air, your fat will last longer.

Both factors are minimized by transferring the fat to a tightly closed opaque container. With liquid oils, you use a dark colored bottle. As bottles are impractical for solid fat, just strain your grease into a jar, close it, and put it in a cupboard. The shelf life should be many months, probably more than a year.

Also, don't worry that you can get something nasty when the grease goes bad unnoticed. Rancid fat isn't a big safety risk, and ingesting it in small amounts is not problematic. If it stinks, throw it our. Before that, there is no problem to eat it.

The above assumes pure, well strained fat. Pieces of fried meat left over in the fat are a safety risk, even tiny ones.

I stand corrected on the terminology and science. The last sentence is what I was speaking of. I think anything organic exposed to sun and air, it would stand to reason that bad things will happen and grow.

I've got Beatty lamps with purified bacon grease in them that are probably 20 years old and they don't stink. They do have a small amount of beeswax mixed in, though.

I've got half and half beef tallow and beeswax older than that. (used for patch lube, rust prevention, lip balm etc.)
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What?

Same goes for the next two.

You throw away a useful, fairly expensive product?
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Around my waist.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 This.  My relatives on the farm did this for 4 or 5 generations with no issues.

Yeah I remember that smell at my Grandparents house as a kid.  Bacon fat sat just a tad to long........ but waste not, want not, as grams use to say.  

I strain mine, and in the fridge it goes.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably from botulism but my father told me when he was a kid after they smoked sausage  that they cut it into serving sizes and put it in a crock and poured boiling hot lard over it and then when it was time to eat it you would pull out a piece cook it in some lard,  "butter" your toast with lard and eat it.  He lived to be 83
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

throw that stuff in a jar and throw that jar in the fridge. bing bang boom. done

Ask Subnet how well that works.  

I keep it untrained in a metal jar on the counter.  I usually bake my bacon so it is pretty pure grease when it gets to the jar.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected on the terminology and science. The last sentence is what I was speaking of. I think anything organic exposed to sun and air, it would stand to reason that bad things will happen and grow.

I've got Beatty lamps with purified bacon grease in them that are probably 20 years old and they don't stink. They do have a small amount of beeswax mixed in, though.

I've got half and half beef tallow and beeswax older than that. (used for patch lube, rust prevention, lip balm etc.)

I was mainly pertaining to unfiltered grease. If you filter it you of course extend its shelf life as fat is just fat.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Umm frozen, where is the frozen option?

Other
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#29]
My mom kept it in a coffee can on the stove.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
in the trash

+1
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#31]
rough strain and into a jar and put under sink.  most of the remaining particulates will sink to the bottom where they will be sealed out of harms way.   Eggs + bacon - toast = longevity
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Refrigerate till it's the consistency of butter, then spread between two slices of bread. A real treat!

Not.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Also depends on the quality of bacon.  The grease from the good stuff such as Farmland or Wright keeps for several weeks, but the grease from the generic stuff goes bad in under a week.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

Same goes for the next two.

You throw away a useful, fairly expensive product?

I throw away my empty milk jugs too
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
in the trash

+1

Bacon fat is one of the healthest things you can eat. Research a little for yourself and stop relying on the AMA, AHA and other so called experts to tell you how to eat. Take a look at our country and the people around you and then tell me how good vegetable oils and other processed fats are for you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#36]
On my ass and boobs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
in the trash

+1

Bacon fat is one of the healthest things you can eat. Research a little for yourself and stop relying on the AMA, AHA and other so called experts to tell you how to eat. Take a look at our country and the people around you and then tell me how good vegetable oils and other processed fats are for you.

lol.
Not sure if serious, so I'll ask for a source.
I know where to find medical literature, but I'm not all that confident at looking around for folklore and pseudoscience.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#38]
usually cut the top of a pop can off and pour it it and stick it in the freezer. I use it when seasoning cast iron.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Unstrained, in a can in the freezer.

When the can is full, it goes out with the trash.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Unstrained and not refrigerated and in the garbage.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#41]
I keep some. I strain it through a napkin into a jar, then into the fridge.

Excess is poured into a jar, when full, I toss it in the trash.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Unstrained in the freezer.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
On my ass and boobs.

On or in, makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Unstrained and not refrigerated and in the garbage.

Pour it in a dog-food can..let it congeal..and pitch it in the trash...then laugh hystericaly when I find the neighbor's cat with a dog food can stuck on his head...teach that fukin' cat to shred my trash!!

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#46]
I wonder if those who're throwing it out ever had bacon gravy.

With bacon grease, milk and flour, maybe a couple eggs, I can make a damn tasty breakfast. Bacon gravy is far superior to sausage gravy.

Also, in the winter time, it's good to put a tablespoon in with your dog's food. Makes his skin protected and gives a healthy coat.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Unstrained in jar in fridge. Hell, I cook bacon just to get the fat if I my supply gets low. Last nights black eyed peas and green beans wouldn't have been the same without a half spoonful of bacon fat added while cooking. Green beans,collards and lots more are better with a little bacon fat.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
On my ass and boobs.

Hiya. Want to go out with me? That is where I keep my bacon fat too. We will be a matched set.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top