Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2013 1:48:08 PM EDT
Thanks to Relentless-engr for inspiration on this!

I was wanting a change with my al FDE AR so I decided my version of Stealh Grey would look nice.

Here is what I started with:

Here are the details (in pics):

Disassembled and ready to go!

This much water and an entire packet of Rit Dye Pearl Grey

Heating up to right before boiling

While heating, I washed all the parts in warm/hot water and soap to remove as much dirt and oil/grease as possible

And parts drying ready before dye bath

I stole my daughter's mini-colander for the small parts (LaRue index clips, P-mag covers, MIAD grip parts, trigger guard) and utilized a coat hanger to hold the colander

Dipped the parts for about 30-45 seconds in 5 second intervals until I achieved the color I was after (darker grey)
(sorry no pics of the dipping process)
Pulled the parts out and soaked them in a warm water bath to remove an excess dye then let them dry on the towel.
Once dry, I re-assembled and:

Did I win?
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You won something, yes. To find out what, now look at it through your night vision next to a non-Rit dyed Pmag.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You won.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You won something, yes. To find out what, now look at it through your night vision next to a non-Rit dyed Pmag.

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't have night vision.  Can you tell us what happens?
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like stealth black.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats awesome, well done
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Soooo...in other words.. black?
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I was going for a darker grey, as in almost black; the pictures don't do a very good job of showing that.  I was able to achieve the color I wanted.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was going for a darker grey, as in almost black; the pictures don't do a very good job of showing that.  I was able to achieve the color I wanted.

Put a black PMAG next to your grey one and post a pic.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You should have ordered some real industrial dye, with UV inhibitors, tailored for the type of plastic you were dying.

You can find it on that thing called 'the internet.'

No need to use whatever wal-mart had that day.

Just a heads up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should have ordered some real industrial dye, with UV inhibitors, tailored for the type of plastic you were dying.

Just a heads up.

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ranger plate on the bottom of the mag is black, as is the rubber butt plate on the stock.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a heads up.

I'm just saying, RIT is an "organic" dye and may not last. Then again, it might last awhile.

If it does fail and fade on you, do it right next time, and get an industrial "inorganic" dye
tailored for whatever kind of plastic you are dying.

It'll have solvents and buffers and wetters and all other sorts of chemical magic to produce
lasting and consistent results.

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magpul uses special pigments that look like natural objects when viewed through night vision. Black Rit dye looks like a stop sign through NV.

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a heads up.

Tactical die?
I'm not high speed enough for that

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I think someone messed up at the RIT dye place, and put "black" in that "grey" box.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#17]
that's pretty sweet
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks great
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a heads up.

Where can I find this "internet" you speak of?  I could give two-shits if you can see it with night-vision or if the birds can see it or whatever.  This was a simple and effective project that achieved the desired results.  And I didn't get it at Wal-Mart, I got it at Jo-Ann's.  THanks for your input and have a nice day!
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Everyone's a critic.  

Looks good OP

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ranger plate on the bottom of the mag is black, as is the rubber butt plate on the stock.

This.  And I don't have any black PMags to compare too.  But if you look at the ranger plates, they are the Magpul black ones and you should be able to tell the difference between the colors.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a heads up.

Where can I find this "internet" you speak of?  I could give two-shits if you can see it with night-vision or if the birds can see it or whatever.  This was a simple and effective project that achieved the desired results.  And I didn't get it at Wal-Mart, I got it at Jo-Ann's.  THanks for your input and have a nice day!

I'm not trying to crush your wet dream, and I'm happy you achieved the result you desired.

I'm just trying to let you know, industry uses "inorganic" dyes because they don't fade, and special formulas depending on the material being dyed.

You would want for example, a different formula for aluminum anodizing than you would for a plastic component, even tho the pigment itself is the same.

I'm just trying to help you improve your skills.

It's like the guys grabbing krylon at Home Depot and spraying their $1500 rifle with it.

It looks great for the first week, but it's not Cerakote.

Anyway, take care.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Everyone's a critic.  

Looks good OP

That's what I get for posting in GD.  Oh well...
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#24]

You boiled your P Mags.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  And I don't have any black PMags to compare too.  But if you look at the ranger plates, they are the Magpul black ones and you should be able to tell the difference between the colors.

I see that. I thought a PMAG would give it greater justice being side by side in the same lighting. I am planning to do a grey RIT job soon. Either way looks good.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a heads up.

I'm not trying to crush your wet dream, and I'm happy you achieved the result you desired.

I'm just trying to let you know, industry uses "inorganic" dyes because they don't fade, and special formulas depending on the material being dyed.

You would want for example, a different formula for aluminum anodizing than you would for a plastic component, even tho the pigment itself is the same.

It's like the guys grabbing krylon at Home Depot and spraying their $1500 rifle with it.

Anyway, take care.

Copy, thanks!  I took it the wrong way but I do appreciate the tips!
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magpul uses special pigments that look like natural objects when viewed through night vision. Black Rit dye looks like a stop sign through NV.

uhoh!  is this classified info?  Magpul police on their way.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see that. I thought a PMAG would give it greater justice being side by side in the same lighting. I am planning to do a grey RIT job soon. Either way looks good.

I wish I did have one to compare to. I had to re-dip a few parts because they were still too light and not the color I was going for.  I found that with a light shade of grey, I could still see some FDE through the dye.  Also, hotter water made the process go faster.  I stopped half=way through to re-heat.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Anyway, take care.

Check it out.

Get some.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I wish I did have one to compare to. I had to re-dip a few parts because they were still too light and not the color I was going for.  I found that with a light shade of grey, I could still see some FDE through the dye.  Also, hotter water made the process go faster.  I stopped half=way through to re-heat.

I bring it to a boil, then cut the heat off and once the boil stops I drop in the parts for 2 minutes or so. Then let them air cool before I rinse and then remove the tape if I was doing a pattern.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#31]
nice job man, wish i had the confidence to do shit like that. knowing me, i'd fuck it all up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Educational. Good post OP, looks good too.

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
nice job man, wish i had the confidence to do shit like that. knowing me, i'd fuck it all up.

I couldn't believe how easy this was; from start to finish maybe an hour.  The only way you could screw this up would be to leave the parts in too long.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't believe how easy this was; from start to finish maybe an hour.  The only way you could screw this up would be to leave the parts in too long.

I hear you can bleach it out too if it didn't go too well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's common knowledge.
Women who dye their hair black also look blonde in NV for the same reason. People who wash their low-IR signature clothing (any US camo) in normal detergent will also glow.
So he just colored his mags black with black dye that glows if looked at with NV instead of buying black mags that don't.
Now back to your derping.

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Women who dye their hair black also look blonde in NV for the same reason. People who wash their low-IR signature clothing (any US camo) in normal detergent will also glow.
So he just colored his mags black with black dye that glows if looked at with NV instead of buying black mags that don't.

Any vids or pics of this using NV on RIT dyed parts? I would like to see the difference.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Lol, looks good OP. Disregard all the tactical basement dweller comments.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#40]
That looks awesome
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chill out. Interesting information but why are you so upset about it???

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chill out. Interesting information but why are you so upset about it???

I'm not upset. At all.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Krylon is actually very effective at reducing 'shine' under night vision.  Black buckles glow until they are hit with OD or tan Krylon.  Even new nylon gear needs a hose down to reduce the glow factor under NVGs.  

Black plastic is the worst under NVG.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I sublimated my HK SL8 black and plum 14 years ago and it still looks like the day it was done.

I guess maybe I should've used real stuff in case I ever have to engage NVD wearing tangos but I'm usually inside watching Honey Boo Boo and surfing Arf when those guys are out.

Nice lookin gun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks good!!

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#49]
I like it.  Good job.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks everyone! Now I'm wondering if the upper, lower, and rail need to go back to black

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top