Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/19/2013 12:24:22 PM EDT
I'm making a 12 X 20 chicken coop in the back corner of my barn. Here are some pics as things progress.

ETA: Yes I have raised chickens before, yes there will be windows and ventilation, no I won't just leave the floor as concrete, yes I know that poop stinks, yes I know I could have built this outside, there are multiple reasons why I chose the location I did, yes I know that other things like to kill and eat chickens besides humans, yes I know that I am not a construction worker by trade and some of you could have done this better than me...
Here is the first load of wood that I'll start with. Kind of winging it.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Great setup.  Looking forward to seeing the final product.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good so far.......what is your plan to keep from suffocating from the ammonia fumes

Chickinshit death.....
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looks good so far.......what is your plan to keep from suffocating from the ammonia fumes

Chickinshit death.....

Agreed,  you need to put a few windows/fans in somewhere to get some fresh air in there.  

Are you going to have it open up to the outside to allow them to free range at all?  If so,  I might suggest this door that you can mount on the barn wall.  You program it when you want it to open and close and it lets them out automatically every day. I have this on my coop, and it makes it nice if you are gone for the day, you know the chickens will already be safe behind a closed door when you get home late.

http://www.chickendoors.com/products.htm
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]
We did the exact same thing. Of course, our barn is around 100 years old... so it looked a bit different in the end.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Wish I had a barn

I hope you are going to have a LOT of ventilation

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no idea of your plan for the roof/ceiling, but you are aware the lag bolts are the only thing supporting the weight of the roof/ceiling, correct?
since your ribbon/band board is not bearing on your posts (4x4's).
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#7]
in b4 there is bird shit all over the barn floor.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Deep litter method?

What are you making them for roosts?

Watering?

Feeding?
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I would have hated to have my chicken coop indoors, but I'm sure plenty of people do it and it works.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#10]
looks good and all
but man is that going to stink.... the key to raising poultry is ventilation
you need to air those stinky bastards out
its more important than feed and water for them
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have no idea of your plan for the roof/ceiling, but you are aware the lag bolts are the only thing supporting the weight of the roof/ceiling, correct?
since your ribbon/band board is not bearing on your posts (4x4's).

Good catch !

I'm guessing he's putting the heavy joists in to create storage space above the coop.

Better beef up that support structure, OP!
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
You may have been better off building that on the outside of the barn, It looks like you are going to have it enclosed on all sides anyways.  Then the ventilation wouldn't be an issue.  You could always make a smaller coop or nesting boxes inside and make an opening so they can come in if they want, but speaking from experience, they will want to be outside most of the time.  

if you keep it there, I hope you don't plan on using the barn much for anything else, because in a month or two, it will reek.  I had a small brooder for 10 chicks in my 40'X90" pole barn and even when they were only the size of golf balls, they still stuck up the entire barn.  I can't imagine how it would have smelled had they been fully grown.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#14]
1) Def consider some windows to the outside!

2) I saw a spigot in one pic so I'm assuming your barn has running water. I'd look into an automatic water system. You can by one out right or just make on out of some PVC and a float switch. Nothing to it really.

3) Make sure water container is adjustable. You don't want it on the ground because chickens WILL shit in it. It'll be an everyday job to keep it clean. Needs to be base of head high.

4) Make sure they can't perch on water container. They will shit in it.

5) Same thing goes for feed.

6) Since they are inside they will need grit it digest food. Don't slack on it, they will eat as much as they need.

7) Floor looks like concrete. Make sure to use staw/hay/cornstalks/whatever to give them padding. Hitting the ground will be bad on their feet. They will bruise,swell, and just become fucked up.

8) Put several roost poles at different levels of height. Think of it like your mattress, some like it hard and some soft.

Feel free to shoot me a msg if you got questions. I am the chickenman afterall
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

1) Def consider some windows to the outside!

2) I saw a spigot in one pic so I'm assuming your barn has running water. I'd look into an automatic water system. You can by one out right or just make on out of some PVC and a float switch. Nothing to it really.

3) Make sure water container is adjustable. You don't want it on the ground because chickens WILL shit in it. It'll be an everyday job to keep it clean. Needs to be base of head high.

4) Make sure they can't perch on water container. They will shit in it.

5) Same thing goes for feed.

6) Since they are inside they will need grit it digest food. Don't slack on it, they will eat as much as they need.

7) Floor looks like concrete. Make sure to use staw/hay/cornstalks/whatever to give them padding. Hitting the ground will be bad on their feet. They will bruise,swell, and just become fucked up.

8) Put several roost poles at different levels of height. Think of it like your mattress, some like it hard and some soft.

Feel free to shoot me a msg if you got questions. I am the chickenman afterall

Appreciate the pointers, we've raised chickens for quite a few years now, I had posted a ton of the pictures of the flock in the Chickens 101 thread.  I'd say I'm "semi-pro".

For the other questions, yes there will be a window with fans, heat, water etc. along with a little door to let them out into an enclosed run.

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chickinshit death.....

Agreed, you need to put a few windows/fans in somewhere to get some fresh air in there.

Are you going to have it open up to the outside to allow them to free range at all? If so, I might suggest this door that you can mount on the barn wall. You program it when you want it to open and close and it lets them out automatically every day. I have this on my coop, and it makes it nice if you are gone for the day, you know the chickens will already be safe behind a closed door when you get home late.

http://www.chickendoors.com/products.htm

I have looked into those too, thanks, I was wondering how well they worked.

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Fire your framer and make him reframe it the right way!
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#19]
That's a nice space, but check out this page:http://www.richsoil.com/raising-chickens.jsp I ended up going with a mobile setup, because the cleaning is crazy otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That's a nice space, but check out this page:http://www.richsoil.com/raising-chickens.jsp I ended up going with a mobile setup, because the cleaning is crazy otherwise.

I think that every pic on that site may have been taken in the same trailer park. Those are some gangster looking set-ups... Give's us upper class chicken guys a bad name.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that every pic on that site may have been taken in the same trailer park. Those are some gangster looking set-ups... Give's us upper class chicken guys a bad name.

some of them were kinda rough in construction lol
I laughed at the one completely covered in tin.
a good sunny summer day here and all it would need is a "ding" once the birds reached a safe temp in that roaster
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 5:21:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Finshed 1/2 of the back wall.

Good times...

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#23]
You're supposed to hit the nail with the hammer, not your hand.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Interesting..... Can't say I understand, but interesting.  That is a lot of lumber invested in an indoor coop.  Why not make more use of poultry wire since it is inside?  What are you going to do for a ceiling/roof?

I support your right to do your coop the way you see fit.  But right now I am scratching my head over some of the cost and functionality aspects.  Maybe I can learn something.  I will keep watching.

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Gonna take a lot of eggs to pay for all that lumber.

But it's yours, and I know you're enjoying building it.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#26]
What are you going to use for a supplemental light source, chickens need at least 8 to 10 hrs for egg production

What kind of chickens are those

Nice job on the coop

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Why not chicken wire?

Looks good by the way.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks nice & strong as hell
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Nice job
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#30]
The chicken coop is built stronger than your barn.

I built a coop for a buddy a month or so ago. Now he's got use hooked on chickens.

This is on the calendar for 2014:

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks substantially less faggy than the one I'm building.

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Got the roof put on.  I'll end up adding something on top of it, haven't decided what yet though.

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Got the door built and installed.

A Swedish door.

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Window installed and little chicken exit.

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Why use all that decking board or 5/4 for the walls instead of chipboard/plywood ?
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:15:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Why use all that decking board or 5/4 for the walls instead of chipboard/plywood ?

Money is no obstacle for my feathered girls. I got a good deal on the wood from a place that was closing down and had a ton in the barn on hand already too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Got the hardware cloth installed in the two internal windows.

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#38]
fair enough.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Working on finishing up the wall with the window and exit door and then to make the sliding door for the chicken exit.

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#40]
This morning I ditched the 8' tube lights and installed 4 200 watt single bulbs with pull strings, a lot better light.  They will accept up to 660 watts each so I can put the 250w heat bulbs in them if needed too.

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Out of curiosity, why did you choose to build it inside your barn and not outside?
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I moved all the baby chicks (approx 20 or so) out into the coop and into this old livestock waterer. I have a 250w heat lamp on them and covered it to keep some of that heat in... its around 30* outside in the daytime.

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Out of curiosity, why did you choose to build it inside your barn and not outside?

I have a 40,000 sq ft barn, so besides having the space, I can use the existing power and water and having the run adjacent to the barn will be easier to do for me.  

Other than that, I wasn't wanting a random outbuilding sitting out in the yard... trying stay low on the hillbilly radar.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#44]
I agree... looks pretty solid... especially with the boards.

But why didn't you just frame it then use Plywood or OSB?

Just wondering... kind of like using lathe and plaster instead of drywall.

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#45]
You do know what Histoplasmosis is right?
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You do know what Histoplasmosis is right?

I suppose if this was being built in my livingroom that would be a concern. There will be plenty of air flow with a fan pulling air thru it and pushing to the outside. Fear not brother.

Also, sounds like Histoplasma fungus grows as a mold in the soil.  Not sure if you can tell but the coop has a concrete floor and will be filled with a mix of cedar and pin shavings.  Those get changed out about 2 to 3 times a year depending on the conditions.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I agree... looks pretty solid... especially with the boards.

But why didn't you just frame it then use Plywood or OSB?

Just wondering... kind of like using lathe and plaster instead of drywall.

I just think it looks better for one and you can replace boards as needed as well as put in another window more easily etc etc, plus as stated above, I had a good bit of it already and got a killer deal on the rest.

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Damn! Awesome.

I have seen bank vaults less sturdy than your creation.
Great job.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#49]
You should be good with that kind of airflow.

We had a couple guys diagnosed with it, they worked in a boiler house (concrete floors) that was infested with pigions.

They put a vent fan on the roof and problems went away.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Man that looks great, good work!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top