User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:30:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:31:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thats still low. Its $16 an hour in Australia.

Unemployment is 5.4%

Average wage is $70,000. The median is less than that i presume

On the negative side, stuff is expensive in Aus. Beer is $40 a carton!

Completely irrelevant without a posted exchange rate, or at least specifying how many beers comes in a "carton."

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:33:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Not quite, the "shortage" in labor caused by the wage increase would be the distance between L_0 and L_2.

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:33:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unemployment is 5.4%

Completely irrelevant without a posted exchange rate, or at least specifying how many beers comes in a "carton."

LOL... he already verified 24 beers in a carton
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Why is it up to everyone else to worry about what it costs to "get by" and not the shlub doing the menial work?  Want to make more money?  Learn how to do something that will make your skills worth paying for.  

Some of us go to college and start businesses, the rest of you just bitch.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Unemployment is 5.4%

Our dollar is just a bit above yours. (it was only a few years ago it was worth half - what happened there?)
Anyways on topic. I dont mind there being a minimum wage - its just pointless setting it high. And the dole should be cut to half the minimum wage - to make you want to go get that minimum wage.

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:35:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Could you make it on $5.00 an hour, or $800 a month gross?

So any single job that any skill-less hack can find should be able to support them? How well should a person with no skills live? Rent a shitty rat infested apartment or are they entitled to a house? Public transportation or a brand new car?  

Personally I never have to worry about "can I make it on $5/hr". Why? Because I have the skills and education to ensure that I do not.

I don't even think you can get a apartment and and public transportation and still eat on 5 bucks an hour.

I don't have skills or an education but thank god I don't have to work for minimum wage, lol

edit - i'm very cheap and live in rural texas on around 18k/year.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:35:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:36:17 AM EDT
[#9]
See my sig below......
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:36:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Can you please explain to me how wages for a JOB are to be considered "free shit"??.  Honestly how screwed up does your perception of reality have to be that you can suggest something like this?.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:37:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can you please explain to me how wages for a JOB are to be considered "free shit"??.  Honestly how screwed up does your perception of reality have to be that you can suggest something like this?.

Was the rate earned or arbitrarily set to make all the menial workers happy?  Free shit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:41:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The employer is being forced to pay higher wages by law, not raising them on their own. Economists call this "rent seeking."

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Maryland is leading the way to make the minimum wage $10.00 for the FSA. Where is the incentive these days to gain education and technical skills to obtain more money?

Additional Reading

Because your $10 job will only buy what your $6 hour job bought when the prices raise to cover the additional cost of labor.

It's chasing the tail economics. you're not making more money that has more purchasing power, your making more money that has less purchasing power.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:44:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's not exactly "free".

But I have seen plenty of people who would show up for a job, spend the majority of their effort finding ways to not have to do anything, and then complain that their pay wasn't as high as it should be.  I suspect that they would be the strongest supporters of the idea of raising the minimum wage.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:44:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There should be a direct correlation between wages and the need and demand for skills in the workforce. When you have someone getting paid 10 dollars for flipping a burger where previously 10 dollars was being paid to those who had aquired skills to be a plumber (for example). This person has had to invest more time in learning the trade of plumbing. Now workers who are in plumbing will want their salaries to be higher however the company who employs them can only afford the bottom line they were paying. Now the company must increase their bottom line and eventually charge higher becuase those who have ZERO skills just want more money. My first job I was paid 5.13 an hour to stock shelves at a grocery store. I was broke as hell, worked 50 hour weeks and lived on ramen and water. That was my inspiration to take out loans and go to school. Thus justifying the increase in my salary. Those who want an minimum wage increase without doing anything for it are only hurting everyone in the long run.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#17]
You know all the economic theories would be great in this discussion had everyone's wages gone up at the same rate over the years.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You know all the economic theories would be great in this discussion had everyone's wages gone up at the same rate over the years.

explain.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:48:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:49:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There should be a direct correlation between wages and the need and demand for skills in the workforce. When you have someone getting paid 10 dollars for flipping a burger where previously 10 dollars was being paid to those who had aquired skills to be a plumber (for example). This person has had to invest more time in learning the trade of plumbing. Now workers who are in plumbing will want their salaries to be higher however the company who employs them can only afford the bottom line they were paying. Now the company must increase their bottom line and eventually charge higher becuase those who have ZERO skills just want more money. My first job I was paid 5.13 an hour to stock shelves at a grocery store. I was broke as hell, worked 50 hour weeks and lived on ramen and water. That was my inspiration to take out loans and go to school. Thus justifying the increase in my salary. Those who want an minimum wage increase without doing anything for it are only hurting everyone in the long run.

There should also be a direct corrolation between the cost of living and the going rate for someone's "unskilled" time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:50:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But they don't, largely because of supply and demand, but also because the government keeps trying to make things "fair".
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:50:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It's not theory, it's reality. It's been shown time and again, so often that they teach it in introductory economics classes.

Look, I'm not against all economic regulation, especially in a complex economy like the US, but regulation is dangerous because it often has unintended consequences. You have to look past the immediate effects.

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:51:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There should also be a direct corrolation between the cost of living and the going rate for someone's "unskilled" time.

Its called welfare, becuase the unskilled jobs are being taken over by those who are skilled and underemployeed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Hello $10/hr minimum wage.  Hello "Free" healthcare.

Hello $15 Footlongs at Subway.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:55:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:55:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there is a shortage of unskilled labor, then unskilled wages will be high.  If there is a surplus of unskilled labor...  then too many people chose poorly.

I didn't get an offer of a $1500 hiring bonus (no need to relocate) plus a pay increase, in the middle of the Obama economy, because I do unskilled labor.  I got it because of what I have in my head.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:59:13 AM EDT
[#27]
If raising the minimum wage is so easy why don't they raise it to $100 per hour.

Merryland would be even more of a utopia.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:59:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Its called welfare, becuase the unskilled jobs are being taken over by those who are skilled and underemployeed.

And why is that?
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:02:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your point

All work is supposed to provide a "living wage" with which you can raise a family and live a fulfilling life.  The Party promises us this, and the Party will deliver if only we do our part.

We're all in this together.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why is that?

Becuase of the overall decrease in the available jobs. Those who are skilled who do not have jobs available will trickle down into lower paying jobs to stay employed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:04:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everybody has become FSA to GD. The term is starting to lose its luster.

pretty much

If a job only has a value of $5/hr to an employer yet they are forced to pay the guy $10/hr then yeah, they kinda are getting shit for free.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why is that?

Becuase of the overall decrease in the available jobs. Those who are skilled who do not have jobs available will trickle down into lower paying jobs to stay employed.

...causing a surplus of unskilled labor.

Supply and demand.  Basic concept of ECON 101.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:08:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

i have in the past, with no benefits
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:12:46 AM EDT
[#34]
"should" is a word liberals use a lot.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why is that?

And because they're skilled and are literally unable to find a job in their field (some of which have spent years in college), it's their fault for being in these "minimum wage" positions?

ETA:

It's not just minimum wage, the cost of living continually rises and more employers are not giving the raises they used to.

State workers in Fla have not had a raise since 2004.  Were receiving one a year, not much but it was a "raise" that helped curve the raise in cost of living.  These workers are educated and skilled.  They include law enforcement, and other public servants.

But that is a problem with the state and it's money issues.  And another debate altogether.  Just throwing that out there
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:16:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why is that?

And because they're skilled and are literally unable to find a job in their field (some of which have spent years in college), it's their fault for being in these "minimum wage" positions?

Stop getting your majors in Art and Political Science
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why is that?

They are adjusting to changes in the economy.  Unskilled workers are then forced out of the workforce, because minimum wage means there is no longer any lower paying work for them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:24:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why is that?

They are adjusting to changes in the economy.  Unskilled workers are then forced out of the workforce, because minimum wage means there is no longer any lower paying work for them.

And yet, instead of putting the blame on the persons responsible for this, we blame the workers instead who are forced down?

I'm not saying raise the minimum wage, I'm just saying there's a lot of attacking going on here regarding these very individuals.  The people who had no choice in the matter.  It's either take a minimum wage job or let your kids go hungry.

It happens, we know it happens.  Companies greed leading to them to replace a person with a BA with a person with a masters, paying lower wages to the masters holder and pushing the BA down the pipeline.  Like you said, one gets pushed down by another.

Some of these people have education, but can't do anything with it.  Go to school for Biochemistry, get out with a BA that 10 years ago would have gotten a good job.  Now that job is replaced by masters holders and that BA is pretty worthless in certain areas.

Just because someone choose something they liked (like you choose your career path) and then later down the road shit hits the fan and that job suddenly is gone....come on, it could happened to anyone.

Again, I'm not saying increase the wage, but shift the blame a little to where it should be.  Granted, not "all" of them are educated, I understand that.  But we agree that people are being forced down, even those who are educated, because companies either can't afford it, or are too greedy to pay the wages.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:29:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's another symptom of the decline of the US. All pay should be between the employer and employee. Either work hard enough to be worth more or obtain the skills needed to earn more. I have an AAS in Electronics, as well as a 4 year hitch in the Corps as an Avionics Tech, and around 30 years experience and I wouldn't get out of bed for $10.00 an hour.
 Its also false assurance. Like somebody else said, prices will just go up. Worth is a relative term. A perfect example, my used post ban AR that I bought in '05  gor $600.00 is now worth 200-300% more. The gun hasn't changed. Supply and demand has. But that gets into supply and demand.

Neither would I....

The problem is that most Americans share that thought.  You and I are qualified to make much more than $10/hr, but many people in our country are not.   When I first started out of college, I was a supervisor in a warehouse.   We didn't pay order pickers squat - about $8.30/hr at the time.   I can't count how many times I heard applicants say things like "My welfare/unemployment/disability pays more than that" or "I'm not getting out of bed for that!"

The trouble is that more and more unskilled jobs are paying those wages.   Those order pickers top out at $13/hr after about 5 years.   In the early 90's, the same order pickers were starting at $15/hr and topping out at $27/hr ish.   I do think raising the min wage is a bad idea, but we really need to start bringing back manufacturing to this country.   Not everyone is cut out to go to college.   People with only a HS diploma should be able to make more than poverty wages in their life time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:32:18 AM EDT
[#41]

i live on the eastern shore and work in the poultry industry

what do you think will happen to the price of chicken when line workers make $10/hr?

Perdue will close and take 20K jobs to NC

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:34:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Neither would I....

The problem is that most Americans share that thought.  You and I are qualified to make much more than $10/hr, but many people in our country are not.   When I first started out of college, I was a supervisor in a warehouse.   We didn't pay order pickers squat - about $8.30/hr at the time.   I can't count how many times I heard applicants say things like "My welfare/unemployment/disability pays more than that" or "I'm not getting out of bed for that!"

The trouble is that more and more unskilled jobs are paying those wages.   Those order pickers top out at $13/hr after about 5 years.   In the early 90's, the same order pickers were starting at $15/hr and topping out at $27/hr ish.   I do think raising the min wage is a bad idea, but we really need to start bringing back manufacturing to this country.   Not everyone is cut out to go to college.   People with only a HS diploma should be able to make more than poverty wages in their life time.

If you want to sell something, you need something to sell.  You don't necessarily need school to develop a marketable skill, but you do need to develop a marketable skill if you want to make more than those that don't have one.

And I wouldn't get out of bed for $10/hr either.  You can make $28 and change staying in bed on the dole.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The problem is that with these constant minimum wage increases everyone makes less.  Person A that was making $12/hr because they worked hard to go up from $7.25/hr wont' get a $2.75/hr raise to compensate for all of the $7.25/hr people getting a $2.75/hr bump.  It basically negates the hard work that Person A did to make themselves more valuable to the company.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither would I....

If you want to sell something, you need something to sell.  You don't necessarily need school to develop a marketable skill, but you do need to develop a marketable skill if you want to make more than those that don't have one.

And I wouldn't get out of bed for $10/hr either.  You can make $28 and change staying in bed on the dole.

I know nurses that don't make that.  Where the hell they getting $28 and change on the dole?!?  

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:39:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So every high school kid needs a "living wage"

Wow you totally forgot who the majority of min wage workers are. Kids with zero skills, or adults with ZERO SKILLS.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#46]

This gets posted in just about every min wage thread. Yet some random yahoos think they know more than Mr Friedman.
Of course the same goes for most of his speeches in regards to hot topics on here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:42:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not theory, it's reality. It's been shown time and again, so often that they teach it in introductory economics classes.

Look, I'm not against all economic regulation, especially in a complex economy like the US, but regulation is dangerous because it often has unintended consequences. You have to look past the immediate effects.

"Introductory economics classes" or any economic education for that matter might carry a bit more weight for me if every single economics department in the country were not wholly owned subsidiaries of different corporations.  I am sure that you are going to get all the information you can take about how bad raising wages is for the economy when the people that teach you about it are the ones paying those wages.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:42:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither would I....

I know nurses that don't make that.  Where the hell they getting $28 and change on the dole?!?  

Right here:
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:43:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
"should" is a word liberals use a lot.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See the post above mine for a similar use of the word "should".

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:44:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither would I....

Right here:
http://www.505legacy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/welfare-office.jpg

bingo.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top