Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2013 6:23:36 AM EDT
Now that citizens of NY that legally posess an "assault" rifle under the new definition are allowed to do so.  What does this mean for the "evil features".  I don't think they can limit us to the old rule of 2.  Now that they are considered assault weapons that are grandfathered, they can have all of the "evil features".  I posted a similar question last week, and after researching I still don't have an answer.

Also, if NYS tries to make us bring them somewhere for a compliance check for registration (which will not apply because they are legally allowed all of the evil features because they are now classified assault weapons),  would you only be required to bring the stripped lower because that is the only actual registered part?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:29:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Much confusion out there.  I have not heard anything that grandfathers the EBR features. I keep hearing that they must be removed, but then again I could be wrong.  This law is confusing and poorly written, besides being constitutionally abhorrent.

Bilster

PS
Fuck Obama
Fuck Biden
Fuck Holder
Fuck Cuomo

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#2]
You guys need a recall vote up there, show Comrade Cuomo the door.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Now that citizens of NY that legally posess an "assault" rifle under the new definition are allowed to do so.  What does this mean for the "evil features".  I don't think they can limit us to the old rule of 2.  Now that they are considered assault weapons that are grandfathered, they can have all of the "evil features".  I posted a similar question last week, and after researching I still don't have an answer.

Also, if NYS tries to make us bring them somewhere for a compliance check for registration (which will not apply because they are legally allowed all of the evil features because they are now classified assault weapons),  would you only be required to bring the stripped lower because that is the only actual registered part?

See the NY SAFE Act FAQ...
http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq

It answers many questions.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's missing the answer about it being illegal for on duty officers to have more than seven rounds.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What if I want to sell my gun out of state, does a dealer need to perform a NICS check?

A:  No.  You can sell your gun out of state, provided you follow the
laws of the state.  Federal law has certain restrictions on shipping
guns between states that you should consult before making a transfer.
HUH? can someone make sense out of this? how do you sell out of state without an NICS other than C&R

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's missing the answer about it being illegal for on duty officers to have more than seven rounds.

New York Law Enforcement Exempt From Safe Act

While the new law did not include a written exemption for police, the old law does have an exemption that will carry over.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Forget a recall, it's about time for a succession movement within NY, to split off NYC.  It would be nice to possibly get a 51st red state.  Go down to NYC dressed in flannel, and smeared in cow shit to demonstrate for succession, and you may gain some support there as well.   NYC has been screwing the state with Liberal politics, stupid high gas taxes, and tolls and in the mean time dumping the money into subsidies for metro transportation and free shit for the deadbeats.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What if I want to sell my gun out of state, does a dealer need to perform a NICS check?
A:  No.  You can sell your gun out of state, provided you follow the laws of the state.  Federal law has certain restrictions on shipping guns between states that you should consult before making a transfer.

HUH?

What's the question or problem? The statement is factually correct.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

While the new law did not include a written exemption for police, the old law does have an exemption that will carry over.

An "Act" is not a law.  The act dictated changes to existing law which is why the exception is still in place.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the police will just break the law until the legislature gets around to adding a provision allowing them an exemption  

Yup.  "The old law had an exemption" so this new one does too is just stupid.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A:  No.  You can sell your gun out of state, provided you follow the laws of the state.  Federal law has certain restrictions on shipping guns between states that you should consult before making a transfer.

HUH? can someone make sense out of this? how do you sell out of state without an NICS other than C&R

It's correct but not terribly well worded. As the seller you do not need to go through a NICS check to sell out of state. The buyer will have to go through one at the receiving FFL (unless exempted by his/her state's laws).

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's correct but not terribly well worded. As the seller you do not need to go through a NICS check to sell out of state. The buyer will have to go through one at the receiving FFL (unless exempted by his/her state's laws).

Correct. The ATF even covers this topic in their unlicensed person FAQ:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

Edit to add: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Existing NY Penal Law was amended.  
Section 265 of the NY Penal Law was amended by changing the definition of Assault Weapon in Subdivision 22.  
The definition of Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device was amended in Subdivision 23.
Section 265.20 (b) provides the exception for LEOs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#18]
You would have to be out of your mind to 'register' a god damn thing....

We'll be in a worse boat soon enough in CT. Screw them.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#19]
U-haul hubs are open all week.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Much confusion out there.  I have not heard anything that grandfathers the EBR features. I keep hearing that they must be removed, but then again I could be wrong.  This law is confusing and poorly written, besides being constitutionally abhorrent.

Bilster

PS
Fuck Obama
Fuck Biden
Fuck Holder
Fuck Cuomo

This is exactly what they do, they used California as a reference.
Make the laws so difficult to understand that most people say "screw it" and sell their guns or don't bother trying to buy one.
Also make it vague enough so that you can pretty much find something to charge anybody with should the police/DA want to.
ETA: Even if they are proven wrong, said person who is charged has to fight to get their guns back and is saddled with thousands in legal bills, probably now unemployed due to arrest, held on high bail and such.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cops won't arrest cops violating the magazine ban for god's sake.

Maybe we should add libtard journalists to those groups who will not be arrested.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You guys need a recall vote up there, show Comrade Cuomo the door.

Honestly, there needs to be a grass roots movement to recall MOST of those in office up there.  Start to send a message.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top