Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2013 1:33:01 AM EDT
Sink has been giving the wife trouble. Yesterday we put drano in it. I put the rest of the drano down it earlier tonight. Turns out the water from the sink just flowed into the dishwasher.

I put some sulfuric acid down the drain to finish off the clog, not knowing about the drano water in the dishwasher.

I gassed myself out the kitchen when I opened the dishwasher . Holy crap was it strong, totally incapacitated me as I fumbled outside to get fresh air while chocking on my own lungs.

Link Posted: 1/15/2013 2:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Today on Mr. Wizard....... Mixing acids and bases.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 2:18:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Lmao, first post.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/15/2013 2:33:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/15/2013 3:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you are dumping the chemicals into your garbage disposal.  Look under your sink at the plumbing. Your pipe is clogged at the TEE where the disposal drain connects to the other line before it goes into the PTRAP. All of these fittings can be taken apart with the bare hands usually in under 1 minute, cleaned and reassembled. The TEE fitting mentioned before has a diverter in it which will clog EVERY time celery is put in it and also with several other types of peelings.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 3:37:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah dude that is basic stuff. Be careful, you could die like that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I would have to look at the container...  Does anyone know the ingredients in Drano?

OP, in what form was the H2SO4 you put down the drain?  In a household cleaner?  When someone mentions using such chemicals, the first thing that pops into my mind are the bottles of highly concentrated reagents we'd use in our labs.  H2SO4, with a high enough Molarity will ignite paper.  Not stuff I would dump down a household drain.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 4:44:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would have to look at the container...  Does anyone know the ingredients in Drano?

OP, in what form was the H2SO4 you put down the drain?  In a household cleaner?  When someone mentions using such chemicals, the first thing that pops into my mind are the bottles of highly concentrated reagents we'd use in our labs.  H2SO4, with a high enough Molarity will ignite paper.  Not stuff I would dump down a household drain.

I want to say it's NaOH, primarily with a few other things. HS is some nasty stuff.

Link Posted: 1/15/2013 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They make a sulphuric acid based drain cleaner, not sure of the normality.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like you mixed H2SO4 & NaOH.....should make Na2SO4 &  2H2O if I remember the chemistry correctly.  Essentially you made sodium sulfate and hydrogen peroxide.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/15/2013 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sounds like you mixed H2SO4 & NaOH.....should make Na2SO4 &  2H2O if I remember the chemistry correctly.  Essentially you made sodium sulfate and hydrogen peroxide.

So what was the awful gas by product?

Link Posted: 1/15/2013 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#13]
For the cost of just a few bottles of drano, you can buy a snake.  The snake will work better, it just takes a bit more effort.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sounds like you are dumping the chemicals into your garbage disposal.  Look under your sink at the plumbing. Your pipe is clogged at the TEE where the disposal drain connects to the other line before it goes into the PTRAP. All of these fittings can be taken apart with the bare hands usually in under 1 minute, cleaned and reassembled. The TEE fitting mentioned before has a diverter in it which will clog EVERY time celery is put in it and also with several other types of peelings.

Taking it apart is the easy part. But it usually leaks when I put it back together, so it takes me 3 or 4 times to get it back together and have it pass a leak check.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For the cost of just a few bottles of drano, you can buy a snake.  The snake will work better, it just takes a bit more effort.

and, this is why that plumber will charge you $97.50 to do it for you, and be done in fifteen minutes.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I once heated up some parkerizing solution in the kitchen at 3am using one of my wife's glass corning ware pot things, when it started to boil the entire pot exploded sending boiling hot acid and glass shards everywhere.

The wife slept through the entire ordeal and never noticed anything unusual other than the kitchen was spotless for some mysterious reason.

Link Posted: 1/15/2013 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sink has been giving the wife trouble. Yesterday we put drano in it. I put the rest of the drano down it earlier tonight. Turns out the water from the sink just flowed into the dishwasher.

I put some sulfuric acid down the drain to finish off the clog, not knowing about the drano water in the dishwasher.

I gassed myself out the kitchen when I opened the dishwasher . Holy crap was it strong, totally incapacitated me as I fumbled outside to get fresh air while chocking on my own lungs.

google chemical suicides and then thank your lucky stars.

J-
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Sulfuric

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top