BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone know an air gun mechanic that works on FWB 300's?

David Slade http://www.airgunwerks.com/

You can also do it yourself. There's a pretty good online tutorial that will walk you through it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I know you said you want to shoot in the yard . . . a big yard . . . but damn it, I went downstairs grabbed these rifles and snapped pics. So, suck it up and look at these rifles . . .

You want a target rifle? THESE are target rifles . . .

RWS 75

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/Bladeswitcher/rws75_zpsa690881a.jpg

Walther LGR:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/Bladeswitcher/lgr_zps2fdc65e1.jpg

FWB 300s:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/Bladeswitcher/fwb300s_zps9e26821a.jpg

HW55:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/Bladeswitcher/hw55new_zpsb0e302c6.jpg

You have some nice target rifles for sure.  But how are they in the field?  540 ft/sec with 7 grain wadcutters might work on smaller stuff but they are going to be stretching it at 20 yards.

I might have to get me one for 10m practice.  But I'm thinking of putting good iron sights and a target stock on the Marauder, tuning it down to 540 ft/sec and using it.  

I read about guys who use FWB 300s for longer range shooting but, frankly, I don't even try. I have more powerful airguns for shooting at longer distances. Horses for courses, you know. My favorite backyard springers are the HW50, R8 and R9. I just got a FWB124 and look forward to shooting it some outdoors this spring. It's about an 800 fps gun. Honestly, I've never been much for high powered airguns. I like the easy shooting ones. When I want to shoot 50 yards, I grab a .22 LR and head to the range (but I have a small back yard).

I was just showing off the match guns. For the uses the OP described, I'd go for a 900 fps sporter like an R9 or RWS34 . . . or something like a Maurader if I was OK messing with tanks and stuff (which I'm not . . . tried it, didn't like it).

ETA: To address  your specific question, if I wanted to shoot at 600 fps I wouldn't mess with a Maurader. I'd get something with more precision and a better trigger. The Maurader is great for what it is and what it did (break the $1,000 price barrier for a PCP repeater) but it's fairly crude compared to a Feinwerkbau or something similar. If you don't need the power, put your money into something a little finer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't go wrong with a RWS54 in .22 cal.
Stay away from the cheap Beeman rifles.

Good advice. Break barrel air rifles are not accurate. A decent pre charged pneumatic rifle is very accurate and you can practice at 100 yards and in.

I've sniped over 100 squirrels with my Gamo Big Cat.  Many were head shots from a fair distance.  It's also held zero for almost 2 years now.  The only thing I had to do was replace the terrible stock trigger with a CharlieDaTuna trigger.  I may not be able to hit a dime at distance consistently, but this thing is pretty impressive for a cheap air rifle.

I love mine (Big Cat) but holy crap is it loud.

On par with my 10-22. Actually the 10-22 is quieter with subsonics then the Gamo.
Does the "moderator" on the Gamo Whisper work as advertised?

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I love mine (Big Cat) but holy crap is it loud.

On par with my 10-22. Actually the 10-22 is quieter with subsonics then the Gamo.

Does the "moderator" on the Gamo Whisper work as advertised?

Slightly.  It is a muzzle device and on a springer, it is dubious.  PCPs need them because of the thermodynamics, compressed air gets warm.  In the springer, it is hot enough to ignite oil, much like a diesel. This heated air is easier to accelerate the pellet.   As the pellet accelerates, the air cools so at the muzzle, the pressure is quite low.

A PCP is opposite, the immediate release of air from the reservoir causes its temperature to drop.  So much more air is needed to get velocity on the pellet.  And the muzzle pressure is also higher so they are much louder.

Your typical multi-pump pneumatic operates between 600 and 900 PSI.  PCPs start at 2000 PSI, 1200 for CO2.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
The thing about airguns is that, unless you're hunting or competing, the stakes are really low. It's all just in fun so you can use whatever you have. A guy can have just almost as much fun with a $29 Red Ryder as he can with a $2,000 Feinwerkbau. I've had great times sitting on the back porch with some friends plinking with a pump-up Crosman pistol. You shoot within the capabilities of what you have and have fun. Nobody gets hurt. The difference between plinking with Daisy and plinking with a Weihrauch is pretty much just the enjoyment that comes with owning and using fine things (and the greater inherent accuracy). Start with whatever you can get your hands on and see where it goes. If you enjoy it and want more precision then seek it out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Now if you want to practice with your target AR15 without worries about ammunition, consider the Crosman MAR177 conversion.  This is an upper for your favorite AR15 lower, using the same trigger pull.  It is pre-charged pneumatic, 600 ft/sec with target pellets and you can slightly increase this with heavy hammer springs.

$600 is pretty spendy.  But if you need backyard practice, it is the ticket.  And very accurate.  It was meant for CMP service rifle shooters.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Whoever said break barrels are not accurate does not know or has a higher degree of what accurate is. I will agree break barrel springers are harder to shot and learn to be accurate on, but once you learn to hold it properly they can be very accurate. I have a RWS .177 i use for rat and squirrel duty. I got an aftermarket srping , grease and piston seal. At 35-50 yards i can cloverleaf a hole with 10 shots. alot of time at 40 yards i use small colored thumb tacks and hit them nearly everyshot if i do my part. I routinely hit squireels in the eye were i aim or right behinnd thier ears.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
How much do you have to spend?  An FWB 300 will spoil you for life. Most real 10m guns have dream triggers.  Cheapest will be an old FWB or a CZ 200 (almost a 10m gun). Cheapest pistol would be an IZH 46 or a old FWB 65 (same action as the 300)

Slade at Airgunwerks rebuilt my 65. Took a long time to find parts, but that was not his fault. Beeman Had the parts, but was in the middle of a major reorg. Fwiw, the major rebuild with parts was around $300 iirc.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How much do you have to spend?  An FWB 300 will spoil you for life. Most real 10m guns have dream triggers.  Cheapest will be an old FWB or a CZ 200 (almost a 10m gun). Cheapest pistol would be an IZH 46 or a old FWB 65 (same action as the 300)  

Slade at Airgunwerks rebuilt my 65. Took a long time to find parts, but that was not his fault. Beeman Had the parts, but was in the middle of a major reorg. Fwiw, the major rebuild with parts was around $300 iirc.  

I want to say David charged me about $150, including parts, to do a FWB 300s. I couldn't have been happier. I had another one that I did myself using a Maccari single-spring kit. The DIY gun was fine, but the David Slade gun was better. It was hard to define how it was better. It just was.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good advice. Break barrel air rifles are not accurate. A decent pre charged pneumatic rifle is very accurate and you can practice at 100 yards and in.

Break barrel air rifles are plenty accurate.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull.

Maybe we have a different definition of accuracy. I have owned 3 different models and I was not impressed. I forgot that I am the new guy, and my post count and join date make me dumber than dog shit.

My apologies for offering my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull.

Maybe we have a different definition of accuracy. I have owned 3 different models and I was not impressed. I forgot that I am the new guy, and my post count and join date make me dumber than dog shit.

My apologies for offering my opinion.

No need for apology and you're welcome to your opinion. It just happens to be wrong. Based on 20+ years messing with airguns, I'd say one of two things is likely true:
1.) You don't have much exposure to GOOD break barrels
2.) You haven't yet learned how to shoot a spring gun

Remember, that up until the mid-1960s, world class match shooters were using the Weihrauch HW55 and Walther LG55,  both of which are break-barrel spring guns. They were scoring upper 80s to low 90s out of 100 points possible. Basically, we're talking five shot groups that are touching at 10 meters, OFF HAND. There's nothing inherently inaccurate about a break barrel design. With good German manufacturing the gun is going to lock up the same way EVERY time.

That said, shooting a spring gun is not like shooting anything else. There is a lot going on as that spring releases and the piston flies forward. Follow-through is essential. Also, many newbie shooters make the mistake of gripping the rifle tightly like they would a firearm. That's a sure recipe for bad groups. You rest a spring gun on your open palm. The gun has to recoil exactly the same way for every shot. The only way to ensure that is not to grip it.

I hate to be blunt, but if your experience is that break barrels are inaccurate, I suggest you consider the possibility of operator error.

ETA: The thing that eliminated the old break-barrel match guns from competition was not the hinge. The new designs were A.) recoilless, and B.) better suited for staying in position while shooting prone. I have no doubt that a world-class shooter equipped with an old break barrel gun could mop the floor with me, even if I was using the latest greatest PCP fixed barrel match rifle.

ETA2: If you're comparing PCP guns to spring guns, I will concede that the PCPs offer an edge due to lack of recoil/vibration and typically higher power (an advantage at increased distance). That edge has nothing to do with fixed vs. break barrel, though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can also do it yourself. There's a pretty good online tutorial that will walk you through it.

Thanks, pulled my FWB 300 out the other day to snipe at a squirrel because I didn't know where my BB gun was, and the stock cracked on the third shot...  

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, pulled my FWB 300 out the other day to snipe at a squirrel because I didn't know where my BB gun was, and the stock cracked on the third shot...  

Oh, that's bad . . .
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#15]
You are correct. I was referring to the previous poster that I quoted. The key word being "cheap" I am a man and can admit my mistakes, but will assure you, it was not the operator, it was cheap air guns. I decided to go PNP and now enjoy my air guns, but no way in hell will I give up my bolt rifles.

I should have been more detailed in my first reply.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You are correct. I was referring to the previous poster that I quoted. The key word being "cheap" I am a man and can admit my mistakes, but will assure you, it was not the operator, it was cheap air guns. I decided to go PNP and now enjoy my air guns, but no way in hell will I give up my bolt rifles.

I should have been more detailed in my first reply.

I've known plenty of fellas who saw their cheap break-barrels get a whole lot better once they stopped gripping the gun and bought some decent pellets.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've got one of these and the high pressure pump.  It is expensive for an air rifle, but is very accurate.

Most competition air rifles cost more than their smallbore counterparts.  You can easily drop $3k into one before you even buy sights.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#18]
You will lke the Condor.  Make sure to buy two air bottles.   That will give you excellent authonomy.

I made a few changes to my Talon so it got similar to the Condor.  Actually, I kept the original Talon barrel so now it's two guns in one.   The design is very simple and easy to maintain.

I put a night vision scope on mine and lost count of the mice I nailed while they were trying to get to some bird feeders in my backyard.

You will need to study your gun well and find the sweet spot where it gives you most accuracy with least air.   Mine shoots .22 pellets at more than 1000fps almost hitting the same hole at 30 yards.   Prepare your wallet if you get the bite.   I even got a Chrony speed meter to help tunning my rifles.   My second in my armory is a Beeman Super 12 in .25 cal.   It's more accurate than my Talon but does not allow for so many tweaks.   I also have a 9mm beast that can crack cinder blocks but I seldom shoot it.   That thing is louder than my 12 ga.  :-)

Quoted:

Thanks guys. As usual tons of useful info.

Those PCP rifles nice, but it looks like I will have to revise the budget because of the additional cost of a pump / a scuba tank.

Heat of the moment it looks like the AirForce Condor has the lead.

For the guys asking:

looking to shoot pretty much the gamut from paper to tin cans to those darn squirrels!  Think it could be a good way to get over "cabin fever".

Will be shooting in the yard ( it is huge ).

Side note - this is the first Sunday that I did not hear a single gun shot in the neighborhood. So I must not be the only one around these parts preserving ammo.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This one is very accurate and not to spendy

Daisy 853 Avanti

Can be had for very little money from the CMP, too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daisy 853 Avanti

I've never seen an Avanti up close.
Is the "receiver" plastic? It appears so in pics.
(They look just a bit too cheap for my taste, but I've heard good things about them, for an accurate backyard plinker.)
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daisy 853 Avanti

I've never seen an Avanti up close.
Is the "receiver" plastic? It appears so in pics.
(They look just a bit too cheap for my taste, but I've heard good things about them, for an accurate backyard plinker.)

pot metal . . .

They're too light and short for serious adult target shooting and they have pretty crappy triggers, but they're kind of fun. I understand that there's a DIY trigger fix, though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Close range target: SSP ( Single Stroke Pneumatic ) Match rifle. FWB 600 series are very nice but if you want to mount a scope there are not the best choice due to the loading gate( lifts up ). The Walther LGR is very nice and very scope friendly.  

Long range: PCP ( Pre Charged Pneumatic ) Anything Theoben, Daystate or FX.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#23]

most fun you can have for $100
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#24]
www.bsagunsusa.com/product.aspx?productID=15&airgun=R-10

Im about bsa air rifles, they come from the uk but the quality is unmatched in my opinion. The link above is my next air rifle purchase when I save enough pennys.
I currently have a bsa supersport that I bought over 13 years ago that still shoots as accurate and powerfull as day one, only thing I replaced was the breech seal 1 time in 13 years of use. Iv taken too many squirrels to count with it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Benjamin Discovery in .22 caliber and it suits my needs.    Runs 850-900fps with the 14.3 grain pellets.  Get the .22LR bullet trap @ Cabelas, an aftermarket shroud for quiet, and plink all day in your backyard if you want.

It's within a quarter @ 50-60 feet- Off a rest.  I'm not good enough to shoot dimes offhand.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 2:33:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Benjamin Marauder is accurate and very quiet.

Fill with high pressure air tank, pump or CO2. I recommend 3500 PSI carbon fiber air tank.

It uses a 10 shot magazine.

Second for this.  I have a .25 and it hits like a sledge hammer (but only 8 shot magazine and considerably less shots per fill).  There are a lot of after market changes you can make to either increase the kinetic energy or increase the shot count as well as to remove the annoying ping sound after each shot.

After you get rid of the ping, this sucker is quiet.  And off of a rest with the Benjamin domed pellets, I can keep 8 shots in what appears to be 2 holes from 15 yards.  And it hits HARD.  People take yote out at 70 yards without an issue.  As with any air rifle, shot placement is always key, but this sucker has the down range power to knock em down.

No matter what air rifle you get, I highly suggest trying a variety of pellets to see what it shoots best.  You can find places that will sell you a 50 count of a wide variety of different pellets to see what you and the gun likes best.
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 3:25:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Got this Crosman Nitro Venom for Christmas.  Trigger is horrible (mushy) but it is very accurate.  Especially for an innacurate break-barrel!  Got it from Wally World for $165 shipped to my doorstep.
They say ya need to shoot it a couple hundred times to get the best groups out of them, but mine seems to do just fine right now.

This group is from 25 yards with cheap Crosman wadcutter pellets.  I was just shooting off the back porch with a shirt draped over the railing.  No back bag.  

I was shooting the bottom of a Hormel chilli can at 60 yards with no problems at all.  Don't know if this is typical of these rifles, but I am a happy lil camper with mine!
Link Posted: 1/15/2013 3:32:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got this Crosman Nitro Venom for Christmas.  Trigger is horrible (mushy) but it is very accurate . . . .

Some folks report some improvement by replacing the essentially non-functional trigger first-stage adjustment screw (I believe it's behind the trigger blade) with a longer screw that actually makes contact with the internal parts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I have not touched an Avanti in 2 years, but they are either wood or laminate.  The stock on the BB gun is even wood, but not very pretty.

Do not forget Styer if you are looking top shelf.  

The new fun game in adult airguns is field target.  Not going to try to explain much of it - but it uses sihouette targets with a small kill zone (you have to hit the kill zone for to cause the target to fall - hits on the silhouette will not cause a fall).  I think the normal range of the targets is 5-50 yards.  You have to determine range, dope your sights and hit the kill zone.  Targets might have a specified shooting position or may be positioned so that they can only be seen from certain shooting positions.  Rules vary by class, but I think range finding is often done with the scopes parallax knob (rangefinders are prohibited, but you can focus your scope).    
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#30]
i just got a nitro venom too!

all 3 are .22

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
i just got a nitro venom too!

all 3 are .22

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/carinker/3airrifles.jpg

How's yours shoot?  Mine's in 177 cal.  I wanted mine mostly for birds, rats, and squirrels, so didn't feel I needed the 22. I've never had a problem with knockin squirrels out of trees with pointed pellets out to 30 yards.

ETA: Here's a red I shot with the AK pellet rifle in 177.  I'd say around 25 yards.  Head shot and drt.  Like I said, no problems killing with the 177 and pointed pellets!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#32]
i really like that chinese ak pellet rifle. congrats on the red nutter....i actually traded a rhom .22 revolver for one at a gunshow years ago for my stepson. it choked and never fired a round, i can't remember where it went probably in the trash. i wish i kept it though, i bet someone could fix it.

i bought the 2289g first.i always wanted a .22 pellet rifle when i was a kid. i shot a squirrel with it from 20-25' and it paralyzed it but it wasn't a clean kill. i was getting ready to order a bunch of power mods for around $120 and just decided to try a springer. i'm glad i did. i really like the hatsen striker it can't be beat for $100.

my nitro venom is a fun rifle, but i've only put around 60 shots through it. accuracy isn't concrete yet, but power sure is. you can read my full post on it here:
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=41347.0

pretty cool airgun forum. they would like your pic too! don't say silencer, tweety bird, probably some others i havn't found out yet lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Check out Tech-Force, they are not pricey or fancy but are incredibly accurate and fun to shoot. New their target model is under 200.

TF79

http://www.compasseco.com/tech-force-caliber-p-1719.html?osCsid=e20ccec1642458becf3aa42347fce706

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/771764/fullsize/dsc04164.jpg

5 shot group at 10 meters,. offhand, no sling etc

Those are .177 pellet holes

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/770631/fullsize/dsc04153.jpg

This, I have one of the cheaper ones, like $80 and it is very accurate.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The other thing I love about air rifles is that you can get away with sub 16in barrels and "shrouds" that make them very quiet with no tax stamp.

I was actually surprised at how loud mine was the first time I shot it.  It's quieted down some, but still louder than I expected.
Mix some vaseline and a little cooking oil and put a tiny drop in the bottom of the pellet for "fuel". Only do this when you are in need of a real firearm and only have a pellet rifle.

Caution, this will be loud as the fuel will cause your shot to be supersonic, and if you have a cheaper model of gun you may ruin it by doing this. All airguns diesel to some extent but this can be extreme.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Whatever you do, don't go to Pyramid Airguns until you are ready for the wallet hurt.  It's like discovering CandlePowerForums when Cree LEDs first came out without first locking your credit card in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Does anyone have any comments or recommendations for the break action style pellet guns in the $150-250 range? I'm looking into getting one for squirrel hunting in KY.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any comments or recommendations for the break action style pellet guns in the $150-250 range? I'm looking into getting one for squirrel hunting in KY.

If all you want is to kill some squirrels, you'll probably be satisfied with the $100-$200 Crosmans, Gamos, Ruger, type rifles. They will shoot hard enough to kill little critters and they're reasonably accurate. But whatever you do, don't ever shoot a GOOD air rifle like a Weihrauch, RWS/Diana or Air Arms. Once you experience the good triggers and smooth shot cycles of the better guns, you'll never be satisfied with your cheapie again. There is a reason that the German guns cost three to four times what the Spanish and Chinese guns cost. The level of workmanship and precision is far superior. But truthfully, even the German guns need to be torn down and have their innards replaced to be truly fantastic guns.

BTW, with any spring gun your results will improve once you learn HOW to shoot them. Basically, you don't grip the forearm. Rest the gun in your open palm. Also, don't use any kind of gimmick pellets. Get some round nose lead pellets.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

O RLY? The top left, 5 shot group in the pic below was shot this morning. From 25 feet, with open sights, offhand. The bullseyes are the size of a quarter.

(The second group was after my 3 cups of a coffee kicked in. )

With this Geco Diana 27S break barrel rifle that is over 35 years old:

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

O RLY? The top left, 5 shot group in the pic below was shot this morning. From 25 feet, with open sights, offhand. The bullseyes are the size of a quarter.  

(The second group was after my 3 cups of a coffee kicked in. )

If you want to see folks over on the "Yellow" airgun forum start foaming at the mouth and chasing their tails, post a Diana 27 for sale . . . widely regarded as one of the holy grails of basement shooters.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

If you want to see folks over on the "Yellow" airgun forum start foaming at the mouth and chasing their tails, post a Diana 27 for sale . . . widely regarded as one of the holy grails of basement shooters.

Hehe. This one ain't for sale. It is sweet.

Link Posted: 1/26/2013 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Stoeger Arms X20S any good? I don't need anything super accurate just something to practice with til ammo comes back down and it gets a little bit warmer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm still rocking my Crossman Powermaster 66. I got it in the third grade for Christmas. It still gets the job done.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#43]
PCP has pretty much killed sprinters for 2 reasons. 1) no matter how good the springer is, it will take more effort to cock. 2) Great sprinters are works of mechanical art - PCP is cheaper/easier to make at the same level of functionality.

Iirc my fwb65 had a list price of $700 or so in 1984. I own 2 PCP pistols that cost less than $500.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 3:09:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
PCP has pretty much killed sprinters for 2 reasons. 1) no matter how good the springer is, it will take more effort to cock. 2) Great sprinters are works of mechanical art - PCP is cheaper/easier to make at the same level of functionality.

Iirc my fwb65 had a list price of $700 or so in 1984. I own 2 PCP pistols that cost less than $500.

Spring powered airguns will always have their place for three reasons:
1.) They're totally self-contained. Grab the rifle, some pellets and go. No tanks, pumps, hoses, gauges.
2.) They're simple to operate. No filling, bleeding, pressure adjustments, etc.
3.) They're cheaper (contrary to your post). Compare the cost of a RWS34 to a Benjamin Marauder, with its associated pump/tank, etc. The spring gun offers a MUCH cheaper entry into airgunning. (Your FWB65 comparison is flawed, btw. The current equivalent FWB match pistol costs several thousand dollars.)

PCP has not killed spring guns, at least not in terms of sales. I'm confident spring guns far outsell PCPs. However, you're right if you mean that PCPs will dominate certain areas of the airgun hobby/sport. Their ease of cocking and lack of recoil makes them ideal for competition. Also, higher power levels are possible, which makes them better suited for the bigger calibers and longer range shooting. Also, a PCP is the best way to produce a practical repeater. All that said, it's really hard to beat a quality low-to mid-powered spring gun for a general purpose backyard/basement plinker and small-game getter. The spring gun is not "best" in much, but it's awfully good and a rational/practical choice for many shooters. The main disadvantage of spring guns is twang/vibration/recoil, which makes them harder to shoot well. The twang thing can be improved with tuning and correct technique will address the shootability issue.

In keeping with ARFcom wisdom: Get both (Though, honestly, I tried a Marauder and didn''t like it. Sold it. With the exception of a couple of old Crosman Co2 guns and one match grade single stroke pneumatic, I only own spring guns.)
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a PCP and I hardly touch it cause pumping is frankly a PITA. Springer is always ready to go.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Daisy 853. Mine is extremely accurate, cheap too.

Link Posted: 1/30/2013 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have a PCP and I hardly touch it cause pumping is frankly a PITA. Springer is always ready to go.

When I had my Marauder, I tried running it on a SCUBA tank. My feeling was that a SCUBA tank doesn't give you enough fills at sufficient power. It seemed like to really enjoy the rifle you needed a higher pressure tank like a SCBA. Setting up to run one of these guns is pretty damn expensive . . . probably about $400-$500 just to be able to get a good tank, hose set-up. Of course, once you have the tank then you're good to go for all the rifles/pistols you want to buy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top