<o:p></o:p>

With ABS plastic 3D Printers coming down to less than $1000
dollars, I have to wonder if they are primed for making things like
magazines?  I realize that top-end
magazines are a pretty specialized formula, but, can something be made that is
passable?  

If any ARFCOMMER has a 3D printer.. Can you design and build
a complete mag body, floor-plate and follower that can be 3D printed?  (Spring will still be something to buy).

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
There were some up on thingiverse until a couple days ago

Finding one of the drawings for download shouldn't be too hard though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
TTT
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#5]
not to up to speed on this..............I like what I see though!  
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]

One I did a while ago, working on a magazine model now.

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I imagine you'd bust off the feed lips with the first round you tried to insert.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#9]
If the material is strong enough someone should start a kickstarter project about this.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone know where I can find Crank's original 5 round magazine design files?

Edit: I found it and alot of other designs
Crank's magazine
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Using a 3D printer just for mags sounds like overkill.

They aren't intricate, and don't require super-tight tolerances or extreme mechanical strength.

In fact, you could probably churn 'em out with a casting mold and some fiberglass and epoxy - Maybe add some metal reinforcement around the lips.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They aren't intricate, and don't require super-tight tolerances or extreme mechanical strength.

In fact, you could probably churn 'em out with a casting mold and some fiberglass and epoxy - Maybe add some metal reinforcement around the lips.

What we need are steel mag body flats like ak receiver flats.  A little bending and riveting or welding plus floor plates, springs and followers and you're done.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What we need are steel mag body flats like ak receiver flats.  A little bending and riveting or welding plus floor plates, springs and followers and you're done.

It does seem a bit overkill but if the plastics can hold up, you could grow mags over night
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If the material is strong enough someone should start a kickstarter project about this.

The libs at Kickstarter will never allow it. Gona have to be indieGogo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#15]
It seems simple, but look at how hard it was for CP to make half of their mags worth a shit with traditional construction methods.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#16]
At this point I don't think it's really needed. Yet.

There are a lot of potential loopholes. Sell magazine parts kits rather than assembled magazines, for example. Mag bodies can be stamped out at an obscene rate, hundreds of thousands or millions in a few weeks with existing manufacturing methods.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#17]
1. Mags are inherently disposable items anyway, just look at the original intent of the late 1950's aluminum waffle AR10/Ar15 magazines.  I am certain that, if you bumped up the size a little on the below magwell portion, thickened things up a bit, etc, you could print mags in the thermomold/orlite level of quality. Something the riprap and printing guys tend to forge is that gluing in some metal is a cheap and simple way to overcome material issues, witness all the metal the russians stuck in a an early ak-74 magazine.

2. I'm not sure this is a topic that should get a lot of discussion right now: we don't want "printing a firearm accessory at home" to turn into something akin to a shake&bake methlab in the public mind.

3. One of my buddies is playing around with 3-D printing a rifling machine, or essentially all the parts except 80/20 aluminum extrusions and stock motor stuff.  This would be along the lines of a colonial american "tracer"  or blanchard stock lathe.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not sure this is a topic that should get a lot of discussion right now: we don't want "printing a firearm accessory at home" to turn into something akin to a shake&bake methlab in the public mind.

who cares what people think? Those are the same people that watch CNN and foam at the mouth when they see a AR or AK series rifle. And to answer your question on the topic of discussion, yes, this is something we definitely need to be considering, especially when forces are about to act to curb the amount of magazines you can buy.  

I have never shot anyone, and neither have any of my firearms, and I hope I never have to, but I will not sit back and have people limit my rights because a few assholes decided to ruin it for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

3D Printer Challenge – Viable 30rd AR Magazine<o:p></o:p>

With ABS plastic 3D Printers coming down to less than $1000dollars, I have to wonder if they are primed for making things likemagazines?  I realize that top-endmagazines are a pretty specialized formula, but, can something be made that ispassable?  <o:p></o:p>

If any ARFCOMMER has a 3D printer.. Can you design and builda complete mag body, floor-plate and follower that can be 3D printed?  (Spring will still be something to buy).<o:p></o:p>

I would think that traditional injection molding would be faster, cheaper, and stronger than a 3D printing.

There really isn't much in a standard 30round magazine that requires a 3D printer, the spring still has to be made via traditional methods.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Its only a matter of time before this technology gets perfected....
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm working on designing a lower for ABS at the moment (not just making the aluminum design from ABS, but properly designing it around the material)

A 30 round mag is next on the list.  A quad stack would be fun too.  My project has been put on hold for the holidays though.

I am tempted to pay a company to make me a CAD solid of a Pmag though
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#22]
You could probably machine 20 rounders pretty easily out of delrin.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Tag and bump.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm working on designing a lower for ABS at the moment (not just making the aluminum design from ABS, but properly designing it around the material)

A 30 round mag is next on the list.  A quad stack would be fun too.  My project has been put on hold for the holidays though.

what type of material are you thinking for a magazine? personally I'm thinking HDPE or ABS. I know the limitations with HDPE are mostly warping issues and ABS's are mostly cost wise

also wouldn't a pmag type design be much less reliable than a stanag design when it comes to 3d printing, considering the extra support a stanag design would give the feedlips?

Forgive me if I sound like I have no idea what I'm doing (I'm only a Mechanical engineering student )

also something to consider when looking for material Filabot
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Let's not give lawmakers EO writers any ideas until after they've addressed whatever they're going to go after.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You obviously don't know very much about firearms magazine design if you think the highlighted is true.

I think you would be shocked if you saw just what went into holding tolerances and the design of a magazine mold or stamping die.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure this is a topic that should get a lot of discussion right now: we don't want "printing a firearm accessory at home" to turn into something akin to a shake&bake methlab in the public mind.

who cares what people think? Those are the same people that watch CNN and foam at the mouth when they see a AR or AK series rifle. And to answer your question on the topic of discussion, yes, this is something we definitely need to be considering, especially when forces are about to act to curb the amount of magazines you can buy.  

I have never shot anyone, and neither have any of my firearms, and I hope I never have to, but I will not sit back and have people limit my rights because a few assholes decided to ruin it for the rest of us.

If you don't think there are anti gunners here, you are wrong. I'm certain that CNN, MSNBC, etc etc have people watching many gun forums, just looking for a juicy article on how we all circle jerk when people kill mass amounts of children with belt-fed clip machine guns that fire from the hip with a shoulder thing that goes up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you are making a lower, you could make the Mag well different, to allow for a thicker Magazine size (Taking your proper-design for ABS thought and make it a proper design for ABS-mags, too....)
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what type of material are you thinking for a magazine? personally I'm thinking HDPE or ABS. I know the limitations with HDPE are mostly warping issues and ABS's are mostly cost wise

also wouldn't a pmag type design be much less reliable than a stanag design when it comes to 3d printing, considering the extra support a stanag design would give the feedlips?

Forgive me if I sound like I have no idea what I'm doing (I'm only a Mechanical engineering student )

also something to consider when looking for material Filabot

I'm going to tag this thread. I want to use a 3D printer to make an AR-15 magazine adapter for a Remington model 7.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Does anyone know where I can find Crank's original 5 round magazine design files?

Edit: I found it and alot of other designs
Crank's magazine

He's using a plastic spring, too?

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you don't think there are anti gunners here, you are wrong. I'm certain that CNN, MSNBC, etc etc have people watching many gun forums, just looking for a juicy article on how we all circle jerk when people kill mass amounts of children with belt-fed clip machine guns that fire from the hip with a shoulder thing that goes up.

I never said that, and if they are what's to stop them from saying whatever they want? I mean look at the press the 3d lower got, mostly negative saying 'people can print gunz that take babby killing assault clipz.' It is completely legal to make your own firearm, and as far as I know it is legal to make your own magazines.  

Quoted:

He's using a plastic spring, too?

yes, but I wouldn't trust a plastic spring.

before his design was deleted from thingiverse for complete B.S reasons he said that the feedlips were too high causing a failure to feed

the comments are still on the thingiverse page

Yeah, the mag release catch is too high on the mag. So, it seats the mag to low with respect to the bolt, thus causing the feed problems. My AR works, my one friends works sometime, and my other friend reported that it didn't work. I need to get the latest revision to fix the errata posted.

I apologize about the delay but I have been extremely busy these last 3 weeks. Hopefully, I can get the fix done this week.

As for the crack on the back of the feed lips, could it be a material property issue with the PLA? It would be interesting to see if you have the same problem with ABS.
source:http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11636

also screw thingiverse and makerbot

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I just found this thread when doing a search for 3D mag printing.

Now that a standard capacity mag ban is almost certain to be introduced I think this is definitely an idea that should be floated.  In fact, if the files for printing a 3D mag are widely available I think that's something we can use against them.  A lot of people are calling for massive non-compliance of any new bans, and this would be the ultimate way to do that.  Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#34]
kinda dupe.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1409756_buying_a_3d_printer_.html
Im probably buying one in a couple months.  Im pretty good at plastic and metal fabrication so Im not worried about magazine weak points.   Ill reinforce where needed.    I have a lot of other things I will make with the machine but magazine making is a bonus if they manage to stop sales.  

I hope this technology grows fast because the government wont be able to ban or control a god damned fucking thing if we can get a little better 3d printing tech.   Im sure it wont be ten years before we have these things printing with some kind of crazy metal alloy and then it's on like donkey kong.    

I suppose they could ban 3d printers though.  That would suck.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope , been there , started a campaign , locked out 14 days later , They TRIED KEEPING all the funding after they locked it down , only after I threatened suing them for FRAUD , and posting on the net they returned all the $$.

It WONT WORK , I've tried it, 12 Ga mag , can't take the spring pressure , feed lips can't take it either.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope , been there , started a campaign , locked out 14 days later , They TRIED KEEPING all the funding after they locked it down , only after I threatened suing them for FRAUD , and posting on the net they returned all the $$.

It WONT WORK , I've tried it, 12 Ga mag , can't take the spring pressure , feed lips can't take it either.

Hmmm did you post a thread with all the details?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top