BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

When someone knocks on my door, I:

- Alert the family so that everyone can take their rehearsed sandbagged defensive positions

- Remove the safeties from the claymore mines

- Energize the 800 watt spotlights.

- Strap a grenade to my chest

Only then do I rappel out of my 2nd story window so that I can land behind whoever is knocking at my door so that I can achieve total tactical surprise.

Aussie rappel because that would be beyond tier 1!? Do you use saftety 8's or just carabiner? Tie you're ranger seat or do you use a tactical nylon one?

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:55:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't do it where I live right now, but when I lived in OKC, I always answered the door with a pistol in my hand.  I lived in a neighborhood that had a *lot* of multifamily homes, and I was not friendly with any of my neighbors, moreover, none of my coworkers knew where I lived.  So, if my doorbell was ringing, especially at night, I certainly didn't know who it was.  As far as I was concerned, answering the door armed was a better deterrent to possible break ins at some other time than ignoring it would have been.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Everyone I allow at my home know to plan ahead with me so I am expecting or to call me from their car when they pull in the driveway.
All other bell ringers are met with gun in hand and my assault chihuahuas ready to shred ankles!
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:02:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Random shit heels knocking at different times of day or night are greeted with a not interested, if they push it it further they get the "FUCK OFF!" treatment.

12ga. or 8mm in hand, the door is not opening for them period.   I would feel sorry for the degenerate prick trying to force his way in, for about as long as it took for me to take a guess at center mass and launch pain in their direction.  Also no worries for over penetration due to a wooded hill behind the front door.

I also do not answer the door and look out the peep hole while lights are on behind me, something the Iceman said during his interview about waiting for the shadow to approach the peephole before he killed them through the door.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:03:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

When someone knocks on my door, I:

- Alert the family so that everyone can take their rehearsed sandbagged defensive positions
- Remove the safeties from the claymore mines
- Energize the 800 watt spotlights.
- Strap a grenade to my chest

Only then do I rappel out of my 2nd story window so that I can land behind whoever is knocking at my door so that I can achieve total tactical surprise.

Aussie rappel because that would be beyond tier 1!? Do you use saftety 8's or just carabiner? Tie you're ranger seat or do you use a tactical nylon one?

My tactical nylon got badly singed during a rehearsed knocking exercise when I tried to integrate thermobaric weapons into my door answering tactical response.

I'm currently upgrading to fast roping.

Excellent question.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:04:10 AM EDT
[#6]
There isn't a better time to be armed, honestly. If I didn't carry, anywhere, ever, that's the one time I'd make sure to have one just in case.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately, I can't shout through the door.  Well, I can but I can't hear them because of my dumb GSD going crazy.  I can put him in a sit-stay, but he still barks like crazy.  So if I want to talk to the knocker, I answer the door with the gun gripped, ready to draw.

I actually just scared the crap out of some guy the other night.  He knocked and I looked out and didn't see anyone on the porch.  So I looked out a side window and saw a stranger standing just off the porch.  Hmm.  He appeared to be alone but there were still a lot of blind spots.  The dog was going nuts, as usual. So I step out onto the porch, hand on gun under concealment.  But that posture is still recognizable enough that the guy just instantly says, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Wrong house!" and starts walking away.

But I asked, "Dude, what do you want?"  And he stopped and said he was supposed to look at a room for rent. I asked what address he was looking for and he said my number.  Seemed innocent enough but you never know so I've been on heightened awareness around here the last couple of days.  It's far-fetched but it could have been home-invaders doing recon on who/how an appetizing house answers the door and I did just have a new gun-safe installed, strangers in the house, etc... so who knows.  I'm not a Paranoid Pete but I never answer the door unarmed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I answer the door with pants on, so yes. I am CC'ing at least a 1911.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:05:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Random shit heels knocking at different times of day or night are greeted with a not interested, if they push it it further they get the "FUCK OFF!" treatment.

12ga. or 8mm in hand, the door is not opening for them period.   I would feel sorry for the degenerate prick trying to force his way in, for about as long as it took for me to take a guess at center mass and launch pain in their direction.  Also no worries for over penetration due to a wooded hill behind the front door.

I also do not answer the door and look out the peep hole while lights are on behind me, something the Iceman said during his interview about waiting for the shadow to approach the peephole before he killed them through the door.

Good point.  I'll have to integrate this into my defensive posture.  I've always been concerned that a mob hitman may try and get me.

Thanks for the tip.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:06:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Pretty much if I have pants on, I'm carrying my gun. And generally when I answer the door I have pants on.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:11:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I have several layers of security deterrents before they reach front of house. I removed my front door years ago.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

12ga. or 8mm in hand, the door is not opening for them period. I would feel sorry for the degenerate prick trying to force his way in, for about as long as it took for me to take a guess at center mass and launch pain in their direction. Also no worries for over penetration due to a wooded hill behind the front door.

Good point. I'll have to integrate this into my defensive posture. I've always been concerned that a mob hitman may try and get me.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm considering a couple canisters of CS in a drop leg accessorie (MOLLE compatible) to pop just in case Trick or Treaters breach my outer perimeter and make it into my residence. This will of course require a ramp up of the kid's donning and clearing drills and MOPP donning drills, but she can handle it.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:23:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
always IWB concealed.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Add me to the "I'm always armed" list.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:25:29 AM EDT
[#15]
muscular incapacitation type taser and an 8 inch bowie discreetly hidden but close at hand plus my door has a really cool door stop that only allows for the door to open about 2 inches, makes the door even sturdier than it is when locked.. I can see who is at the door before I answer it in any-case.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I always answer the door with a gun in hand if i do not recognize them.

You never know......
You know that most people are killed by someone they know right? I just don't answer the door at all unless whomever it is has called me first and discussed their intentions for doing so.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Add me to the "I'm always armed" list.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:45:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Walther P5 by my right hand, bullet resistant fiberglass armored door, Lexan sidelights, and Kevlar undies.

Apart from nuking it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I do, but only because I'm usually armed all the time.

Answer the door with it in my hand?  Not hardly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Gun in holster, hand on gun if person is unknown to me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
These threads always make me laugh.

Do you people live in Beirut?

Home invasions from perps pushing through the door are rare here, but they've happened. We've got our share of meth heads and the FSA so I dont take any chances. Even when I'm in the garage working and the doors open I keep a gun within reach.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I can count on 2 fingers the number of unknown door knockers I've had in the last two years since I bought this house, and both were in broad daylight.  I checked out the window before opening.

One was Asplundh with Duke power to tell me they were trimming branches, and the other was the natural gas company truck asking where my meter was on the shop.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Gun in hand and I have posted it before...it has saved my ass one three separate occasions....and on none of them did I live in the "bad part of town"
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:55:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ok, I know there is a large contingent of people here who carry (CCW & Open) firearms on their person in their own home.

That's fine, I personally don't in general, but if I'm dressed, I always have a knife or 2 in my pockets. It's not just for defense, I need
them as a tool. I use them to aid in packing/shipping various items.

I suppose if you are carrying at all times, then by default you are answering the door armed. But, do you put weapon in hand?
Does it depend on the time of day/night? The manner in which the person(s) knock/ring bell, etc?

For me, depending on the time, and what I hear/see outside the door, I will usually grab a pistol on the way to the door. I always have something
within reach, and my place is sufficiently hardened so it would be highly unlikely they could get in before I could reach anything.

Anyway, let's hear it.  How do you answer the door?

(poll inbound)

I remember seeing that mentioned on Massad Ayoob's home defense vid.  Like he said it's a "lifestyle choice" ... and frankly I can understand wanting to do that.

Although... if you're CCWing or OCing at home, I don't see why you should make any changes for opening the door.  I mean disarming just to open the door would defeat the entire home-carry thing anyway.

and if someone doesn't like you answering the door wearing a gun - well then too fucking bad. it's your house not theirs.

this is where a security camera can come in handy too.  you can choose where you view the display from.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Son, I answer the phone armed.....
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Being a perfectly well adjusted and sane member of society I do not go to the door armed. I do have firearms near the door though but I think greeting visitors with weapons in hand is paranoid at best crazy and goofy at worst.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I just don't answer the door.

Everyone I know lives so far away that they won't just drop by, and I doubt there's going to be some supermodel with her car broken down asking to use a phone, so I just ignore it with a gun inches away.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#28]

Depends.

There are times that I am armed when I answer the door.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:06:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Only when I'm wearing pants.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm always armed and unless you call first, I never bother to answer the door.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#31]
If they get past the gate, the dogs, and the razor wire, I invite them in while we wait for the ambulance.  

Seriously, I am usually armed when I answer the door unless I recognize the person coming up the walk.  At night I'm always armed.  For some reason young lovers like to park in our driveway.  The racking of the 12 ga is one hell of an erectus interruptus.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:10:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Only if my mother in law is coming...
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:12:01 AM EDT
[#33]
We never answer the door.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#34]
I always rack a shotgun before answering the door
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:17:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

These threads always make me laugh.

Do you people live in Beirut?

Beirut is probably safer... Some of these guys live in Baghdad!

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#36]
"Excuse me, Mrs. Can you please help? There's been a terrible accident! My friend's in the middle of the road bleeding to death! Can I please use your telephone for an ambulance?"

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Live in the 'burbs and I hate my front door.  It's got a big window so whoever at the front door can look right in and see into the living room.  Did the spray only frosted sttuff, but it didn't hold up.  Within a year of the extreme hot and cold we get here, that coating just peeled off.  Would love to find some sort of 1-way glass/covering to put on there.  It's nice to see from a distances who's at the door, but not allow them to see in.

90% of the time it's one of the neightbors or neighbor kids.  The other 10% of the time it's some kids (girlscouts, football team, etc) doing fundraisers.  Only once in a great while do we get the Jehovah's.  Occasionally we get questionable people selling odd things or services for nontraditional stuff.  Yeah, maybe I should be armed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:24:07 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a security camera that displays on the TV. I won't even answer the door if I don't want to talk to the person.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#39]
I use a scale.  Neighbor or someone in the middle of the day gets a door open and a friendly greeting, even if its a sales person.  I am polite but firm in saying no.  My revolver is in my pocket.  If it is after work around dinner time, or dusk (depending on time of year) I will still answer the door.  If it is a kid selling something, I will answer the door and decline, but I am at a higher state of readiness.  Usually, I don't recognize the kid, but if I see their parent at the sidewalk is a neighbor, then I usually will buy something.  I normally will open the door at dusk/early night with my revolver in my pocket, but my hand holding it.

The ARFCOM badass answer is, if it is an adult at night who rings the bell once normally, answer with pistol behind back in hand.  I tell them in no uncertain terms I need to see their city permit (after dark sales need a city permit) if they don't have it, I tell them no and go inside and call the police non emergency number to report it.  I think it is important to help keep my neighborhood safe.  If it is a legitimate sales person, they know they should have a permit.  If the person at the door knocks (I take it as a personal slight to open a storm door to knock when there is a bell) or rings the bell in anyway but the standard way, its shotgun and all the mall ninjaness I can muster.  I don't believe in not answering the door.  I don't want a criminal who is testing places to see mine as weak.  I have answered the door more than once in my mall ninja badass way, every time it was followed by a rash of burglaries.  Yes I have had people run from my door before, but police knocking to sell me a magazine subscription at 10:30PM is not a good cover story.

The shitty part is, I am the family asshole door answer person.  AT&T U-verse guy coming around because my dad took the info?  I am there for dinner on a Saturday and I have to tell him to stop coming back because my parents don't want it.  Over to my brothers at my nephews birthday two religious people come because his wife took some literature from them, I have to tell them to stop visiting.  I just don't believe in not answering the door.  Someone has made a choice to walk onto my property and summon me, they are doing it for a reason.  I need to make sure it is not a reason that would put my family or property in peril.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#40]
CCW on OWB holster, knee to the door in case anyone wants to rush in. I have a pepjole on the door, if its covered, I ain't answering.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't answer the door unless Im expecting someone
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I don't know you I don't answer the door.

When you say "you don't answer the door", do you mean you completely ignore whoever is knocking, or you just don't open the door?

I completely ignore it
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I don't answer the door unless it's UPS or Fedex requiring a signature.

Note to self, steal Fedex uniform and white panel van with Fedex stenciled on the side.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#44]
I generally just have people call ahead so that I can stand down the kill teams

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#45]
No one just "shows up" up here in our area. So if someone knocks and they're not recognized, the gun comes out and is concealed by the door or shielded by a leg.
But we always have a gun on and a knife in our pocket.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I am always ready to urinate upon door knockers to immediately assert my dominance over them.

I was about to open the door with my dick in hand yesterday, but the woman saw me through the door window and ran away.

But I did get her demo bottles of floor cleaner she dropped.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Friends, family and most everyone else that we personally know are welcome at our house.  All of these people know to call first to let us know they are stopping by.  Anyone who knocks at our door without advanced coordination is ignored.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a pistol nearby but don't answer the door armed.  We live in a low crime area.  

Actually, unless we are expecting a package, I often don't answer the door at all.  I just peek through the curtains as the person at the door hears our OEB barking and then scurries away.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top