Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/29/2012 4:17:55 AM EDT
What do you guys recommend? Anything US made? I don't want cheap chinese shit. What I wore in the army reserve in the 70s would be cool.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:20:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the older cotton ones too, but all the newer ones are decent enough jackets.  I believe Alpha makes 'em new and I've had a few of their jackets that I liked, but M65s are like bad pennies.  They keep turning up.  I wouldn't turn my nose up at any issue jacket.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:23:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a MR in 3-pattern desert that I never wear, practically brand new. [shrugs]

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't even own one now, had one in High School...
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:30:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The French ones from the 1960s-1980s are stylin, yo.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Strictly USGI kinda guy here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Here ya go.  Just bought a plain OD one and it is close enough to my issued Woodland one from 1983 that I'm happy with the purchase.  

TruSpec M-65 from US CAv
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They look the same. Only difference is that the Frog ones don't have a tuck-in hood.

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the leather copy.  I always kind of wanted one but never got around to it.

I think the bad guy leader wore one in Under Siege "Dark Territory" movie or whatever the train movie was with Segal.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think the bad guy leader wore one in Under Siege "Dark Territory" movie or whatever the train movie was with Segal.

I have a black one and it's my go to coat in the winter unless I'm doing something that might fuck it up.  Great Jacket.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Tru-Spec is a good brand.  I have the Tru-Spec in MCU, Propper in ACU, issue in DCU, 2 issue in BDU and even an old OD one from BCT.  A local surplus place might have an issue one in OD or woodland.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been wearing one of these for a few years, & it has held up pretty good (only lost one liner button... my fault for "snagging" it ). It's "imported" but the quality & styling are very good for the price.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/military-style-m65-military-surplus-jacket.aspx?a=514940
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Get an SAS smock instead. They're better looking & warmer.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#13]

I was at a surplus place a few years ago looking in a dirty box when what do I see but a balled up, filthy M65 arctic hood attachment. I think I paid .50 Cents for it.
After a good wash it looks great on my OD Alpha jacket. Waterproof them with that spray on crap and I'm good to go.

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been wearing a Tru Spec for the last five or six winters.  Still holding up great.

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:26:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Sooo many issue choices better than the m65. I don't think I have ever seen anyone wear on outside of boot camp or IT.  It weighs a ton, is not waterproof, does not pack, its cheaply made(both of mine fell apart after a couple washes), also it needs a liner. In fairness the liners are awesome. But if you want something to keep you warm get a gen 3 ecwcs shell or a fleece or even the gortex jacket.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I spent most of the late 70's in an M-65.

Tag for US maufactured versions

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sooo many issue choices better than the m65. I don't think I have ever seen anyone wear on outside of boot camp or IT.  It weighs a ton, is not waterproof, does not pack, its cheaply made(both of mine fell apart after a couple washes), also it needs a liner. In fairness the liners are awesome. But if you want something to keep you warm get a gen 3 ecwcs shell or a fleece or even the gortex jacket.

Yes  but nothing else has the nostalgia (God I sound old now).

Just found mine at my elderly mother's house - it was still there from back in the cadet corps days - still has my name tag on it.  Served me well while goose hunting on many frozen mornings (with liner of course).

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#18]

I have the ACU field jacket and I took it to Afghanistan. For an engineer, it's great because it more durable than the fleece jacket for the dirty work that we do.

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#19]
If it has a brass zipper it's fake.

Go to an Army Surplus store and pick one up.

A good quality lightly used woodland camo one can probably be had for 25 bucks or less.

If you want all black or OD, you could probably find those as well, but they'll likely be reproduction.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's right.  I wear my 'milsurp' looking coats when I am doing work or play outside.  However, the nice (read: pricey) French ones, if the same as the type I have, won't get you that moody loner stare from the general population.

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a couple at the surplus store outside the Ft. Sill gate for $20 each.  He had tons of them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:39:12 AM EDT
[#22]
IMO, the fleece is only good when used as a layer underneath the cold weather shell jacket.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A good quality lightly used woodland camo one can probably be had for 25 bucks or less.

If you want all black or OD, you could probably find those as well, but they'll likely be reproduction.

My Alpha M65 circa 1988 has a brass zipper. It isn't fake.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a black one and it's my go to coat in the winter unless I'm doing something that might fuck it up.  Great Jacket.

Where did you get yours, and how is the quality? I got one of these (black M65) a few years ago, and it was advertised in the catalog (can't remember if it was cheaperthandirt.com, Sportsmans Guide or US Cav) as Mil-Spec, but it was absolute JUNK! The material of the jacket was very soft and thin, balled and linted like a cheap sweater, and all the stitching was crooked and looked like it was sewn by a child..... Wait... It was made in Honduras, so it probably was... But still - NOT milspec. Did you find a place to get black jackets that aren't hand-stiched by a 7yo?
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you get yours, and how is the quality? I got one of these (black M65) a few years ago, and it was advertised in the catalog (can't remember if it was cheaperthandirt.com, Sportsmans Guide or US Cav) as Mil-Spec, but it was absolute JUNK! The material of the jacket was very soft and thin, balled and linted like a cheap sweater, and all the stitching was crooked and looked like it was sewn by a child..... Wait... It was made in Honduras, so it probably was... But still - NOT milspec. Did you find a place to get black jackets that aren't hand-stiched by a 7yo?

Cooper M-65 leather jacket

This is the exact one I have.  Made in Pakestan though.  Worn mine for almost 10 years now.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#26]
What brand is actually made in America? Propper was made in the Domincan Republic last I read the tag.  TRU Spec is Chinese.

I had a Propper black M65 that lasted a good four to five winters. I actually got tired of the design, and went for a carhart type jacket. Right now I'm sporting Outback Trading Oilskin, and it kicks ass. Was a little weird getting used to oilskin, but I love the stuff now.

Also remember if you do stay with an M65 to pick a non issued pattern. Either OD, FDE, ATACS etc... Just is weird to me, seeing non mil people in  ACU digital or multicam.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#27]
When our unit went to Turkey for Op Provide Comfort after DS, one of the guys in my squad went into Adana and had an M65 field jacket copied into leather. It was a great copy. A few of us went and had some made. I had one done in black leather.
The guy that did them even did the zip out hood. Cost us each $125 or close to it.
I still have mine.

I still have 2 of my old issue OD green ones from around '81 issue. They are pretty well worn. Have a chocolate chip M65 around here also.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, I have my dad's from the mid 70's and his has a brass zipper.

Is yours OD or woodland? Because all the woodland ones I've seen with brass zippers have been the cheapo knock offs

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Who sells those?

Google turns up nothing but ebay listings.  An actual US based vendor would be nice.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Who sells those?

Google turns up nothing but ebay listings.  An actual US based vendor would be nice.

Dunno. I ordered mine from Silverman's in the UK long ago.
They hold a crapload of stuff, are warm & water repellant, and look much better than an M65.

ETA link: http://www.silvermans.co.uk/ProductDetails/tabid/89/Department/Military/Category/JACKETS+++SMOCKS/Description/SAS+WINDPROOF+SMOCK/ItemId/11105/CurrentPage/0/Default.aspx

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is yours OD or woodland? Because all the woodland ones I've seen with brass zippers have been the cheapo knock offs

Mine is woodland and issued to me in 1983.  Has a brass zipper (sorry) that's busted.  Hence my recent purchase of the OD one from us cav
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#32]

SAS smocks are basically just a shell, so they aren't necessarily any warmer than an M-65 without the liner.

I have an "SAS Combat Windproof Mark II (Modified)," that I bought from cadetdirect.com in the UK. It is awesome. Very windproof, water repellent since I treated it with Camp Dri, and has a shitload of pockets. You could live out of this thing. The materal is 50/50 poly/cotton. Plenty of room for layering but also has pit zips for ventilation. Incredible attention to detail on it. If I could get one in solid brown or black it would be my primary Winter outer layer.

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is woodland and issued to me in 1983.  Has a brass zipper (sorry) that's busted.  Hence my recent purchase of the OD one from us cav

Mine's woodland. 100% real.

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a woodland one in the closet with a brass zipper. Issued to me in 1988.

Doesn't fit anymore. I think it shrank.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#35]
What size are you looking for?

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

SAS smocks are basically just a shell, so they aren't necessarily any warmer than an M-65 without the liner.  

I have an "SAS Combat Windproof Mark II (Modified)," that I bought from cadetdirect.com in the UK. It is awesome. Very windproof, water repellent since I treated it with Camp Dri, and has a shitload of pockets. You could live out of this thing. The materal is 50/50 poly/cotton. Plenty of room for layering but also has pit zips for ventilation. Incredible attention to detail on it. If I could get one in solid brown or black it would be my primary Winter outer layer.

I guess I should have mentioned the liner.
It's warmer with the liner in it.

There is also an extreme cold weather version that is basically identical  but longer & warmer. Falklands parka.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you fuckers are just old then.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I've got a Surplus M-65 in Woodland, a Propper M-65 in Black, and an Alpha in Urban Tiger Stripe that I use for daily wear.

The highest quality M-65 are Surplus, but they are hard to find in fatbody sizes, my Propper M-65 started to fall apart after a year of use, but my Alpha seems to be holding together as well as my surplus M-65, even though it is imported (Made in Egypt ). It is made with a slightly heavier shell, and I haven't had to re-attatch the liner buttons to it like the Propper M-65 (Made in China, I think). I only use the liner if it is really cold (sub 30* F).

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#40]

+1 on the smock.  When I was a little younger and more than little dumb with extra cash (ie, before marriage and a kid!), I purchased a Multicam Dropzone Tactical Recce smock.  I absolutely love it.  You can layer to your heart's content with it.  It has an absolute shit-ton of pockets.  It's durable and water resistant after I treated it.  Several of my training buddies ended up getting one after seeing mine a few times in the field.

Probably not worth the coin they went for then or now though, especially if there are the above choices to go with!
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Tag.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have two black ones–one from the early 90s, one newer.
They are close to impossible to find surplus, as they were only issued to the SAS/SBS and some police units.

However, the manufacturer has an American subsidiary, and they sell them here, in OD, Tan, Black, and about 20 camouflage patterns.
http://arktisusa.com/Arktis_North_America/Welcome.html
http://arktisusa.com/Arktis_North_America/Info_files/ARKTIS%20CATALOGUE%20PDF.jpg
http://arktisusa.com/Arktis_North_America/Info_files/camo%202.jpg

This link I posted earlier is to the black ones. New manufacture though, same specs, same factory.
http://www.silvermans.co.uk/ProductDetails/tabid/89/Department/Military/Category/JACKETS+++SMOCKS/Description/SAS+WINDPROOF+SMOCK/ItemId/11105/CurrentPage/0/Default.aspx

Also just found the Arktis ebay store. Lots of cool stuff there, coyote brown SAS smock too. http://www.ebay.com/sch/arktisus/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#43]
I've had a  black civilian clone (I think) since the late 80s:

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What size are you looking for?  

I'm about a 48 or 50 and tall. In an LL Bean field coat that meant 2XLT. Not sure how one of these fits. Last time I wore one I weighed about 80 lbs less.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

He's right.  I wear my 'milsurp' looking coats when I am doing work or play outside.  However, the nice (read: pricey) French ones, if the same as the type I have, won't get you that moody loner stare from the general population.

Mine with a liner was just under $50 at a surplus place.

Plus I can wear it over a coat and tie and get 'mired by the ladies.

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think I got issued one of the last OD ones when I went through AF Basic in late '91.
It is my last piece of uniform that resides in my closet, but haven't worn it in years.
Damn thing shrank too. POS GI crap.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Get the windproof fleece one that doesn't look like an M65.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I got issued one of the last OD ones when I went through AF Basic in late '91.
It is my last piece of uniform that resides in my closet, but haven't worn it in years.
Damn thing shrank too. POS GI crap.  

Mine still fits perfectly. Maybe I was more careful with washing instructions than you guys.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Mine still fits perfectly. Maybe I was more careful with washing instructions than you guys.

Uh, yeah...that must be it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top