Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

AKs are the most reliable firearms ever. Ever.

I poured marbles into my action and it still shot .001 MOA.

I pounded on my barrel with a sledge hammer for two hours and it still outshot my AR.

My friend who was in the military confirms this.

You be trollin!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

From having an M16 and a select fire AK for demoing.

The AK is dead nuts reliable, the M16 is a bitch to get to run reliably.

T

Having had issue Colt and FN M-16A2's, and handled thousands of AKM's in Iraq from rusted shut junk, to brand new in the crate Russian AKM's, I had the opposite experience.

AK's are trash guns.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

AKs are the most reliable firearms ever. Ever.

I poured marbles into my action and it still shot .001 MOA.

I pounded on my barrel with a sledge hammer for two hours and it still outshot my AR.

My friend who was in the military confirms this.

You be trollin!

No he isn't. My friend who is an army man put his in a volcano in Hawaii & then threw it out of an SR71 and it just got more accurate. He threw away his M4 when he got to AFG and only uses AKs now. So does everybody else he knows. He says the Pakistan made AKs are the best because they are custom. Petraeus tried to get AKs for everyone but Obama stopped him because Colts are union made and they had to give all the AKs to the ANP.

That's why all of our army guys are dying over in Afghanistan face down in the mud with their cleaning rods stuck down their barrels of their crappy M4s. They are so shitty you can't even use an M4 like a SAW! They get too hot to hold there was even an article in Army Times about it.Our troops need AKs, and I think Red JAcket even developed a backpack watercooling system and barrel jacket to make them even better than normal AKs.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just ask the soldiers who died in Vietnam with a cleaning rod still stuck in their M16 barrel trying to clear malfs.  Yes, the AK is as reliable as they say...proof is in the pudding.

Exactly what malfunction is cleared by sticking a cleaning rod down the barrel, anyway?

Stuck cases

Stuck cases, huh?  Meaning failure for the brass to extract?  How often would you say this happens?  I mean, in your experience - or, even per the stories your Uncle's roommate's friend's cousin told him.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

LSA was better lube than CLP.  It also stays put and don't drain off.

Still inferior.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I can field repair my AR. Not so much with my AK
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

T

Having had issue Colt and FN M-16A2's, and handled thousands of AKM's in Iraq from rusted shut junk, to brand new in the crate Russian AKM's, I had the opposite experience.

AK's are trash guns.

Maybe an AK produced in the 60s/70s, but a modern AK-100 series rifle easily rivals a modern M4 in functionality, if not exceeds it.

I've shot almost 4,000 rounds through my SGL 31-94 and the rifle ate every single one without fail.  I've also put a few thousand through my BCM middy - maybe 5 or 6 total malfunctions.

I'd still take the BCM to war over the AK, but functionality wise (the topic of this thread) the modern AK-74M/AK-103 is superb.

The M4 is 10x more versatile than the AK-74M, but if we're talking which rifle eats ammo more efficiently, you can't possibly argue the AK is shit.

The AK has plenty of flaws, but eating ammo isn't one of them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still inferior.

My ARs run freaking great when lubed up with LSA, so it's what I'm going to stick with.
I guess CLP is nice in that you don't need a bottle of Rifle Bore Cleaner for cleaning, though, which would be good if you were out in BFE.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still inferior.

I disagree.  CLP is too light and the volatile components dissapate too quickly.

CLP is also freakin' 'spensive!

$8 for a pint of CLP, or $8 for two quarts of LSA?...Hmmmm...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

T

AK's are trash guns.

Maybe an AK produced in the 60s/70s, but a modern AK-100 series rifle easily rivals a modern M4 in functionality, if not exceeds it.

I've shot almost 4,000 rounds through my SGL 31-94 and the rifle ate every single one without fail.  I've also put a few thousand through my BCM middy - maybe 5 or 6 total malfunctions.

I'd still take the BCM to war over the AK, but functionality wise (the topic of this thread) the modern AK-74M/AK-103 is superb.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

The last time I had a malf in a 15 that wasn't ammo or magazine related was 2005.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still inferior.

I disagree.  CLP is too light and the volatile components dissapate too quickly.

Uh oh.
Why do I have the feeling that arguing lubricants with Keith J is going to be like arguing AKs with Rusted Ace & Madcap?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still inferior.

How much ammo can you carry?  Basic load is 220 rounds.  You can go through 4 times that without relube.  I have.  Ever humped 880 rounds of 5.56?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#15]
AR-15s are more reliable than you think.

AK-47s are more accurate than you think

This!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
And an issued AK was treated better?  Why wouldn't you compare the two in their military applications since they really get beat up and tested there.

Issued AKs are actually treated worse!  

They are stored in metal bins full of all kinds of refuse because the countries that own them dont usually maintain proper armories!

Yup, I helped the ANP move a few hundred AK's one time. They piled them in my arms, as many as I could carry like chord wood. Made many many trips into their storage area and they just dumped them into crates.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#17]
so..ooooo

If an an AK belongs in the garbage can what about the GALIL?

My IMI Galil ARM  is pretty damn accurate.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
so..ooooo

Too heavy for a trash can, would bust out the bottom, would make a great boat anchor though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both can fail. lol

An AR can fail. An AK is fail.

I dont understand the hate but ok.

They are clunky & rough, there is no word for ergonomics in Russian, crap-ass quality control in everything from parts, assembly, to non-concentric barrel threading, pistol length sight radius, selector sucks loudly & is on wrong side, reciprocating charging handle, the slot for that handle is a big port that lets dirt in, (that will stop the rifle from functioning as shown in those videos) stocks made for tiny conscripts who's growth was stunted by communism, they're too heavy & they have a completely undeserved reputation for reliability.

When they were $250 NIB and ammo was $75 for 1200 rounds they were a fantastic bargain with major flaws you could overlook for the price. Now they are priced like ARs, and they fall way short of the mark in so many ways it's really an unfair comparison now.

I like Valmets & Galils, but they're still too heavy & flawed despite Westernized ergonomic & sight radius improvements and quality control. And you can't buy them new anymore since Bush Sr. so it doesn't really matter.

It is still a major part of firearms history and very reliable.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms&feature=related

plenty of AK fail in this video
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#21]

I've shot almost 4,000 rounds through my SGL 31-94 and the rifle ate every single one without fail. I've also put a few thousand through my BCM middy - maybe 5 or 6 total malfunctions.

The M4 is 10x more versatile than the AK-74M, but if we're talking which rifle eats ammo more efficiently, you can't possibly argue the AK is shit.

The AK has plenty of flaws, but eating ammo isn't one of them.

An AK-100 series does not rival an M4 in functionality.  They fail just the same.  It is a terrible design, from a cursed part of the world, where everything is frozen almost year-round, and it still doesn't work in extreme cold, let alone how terrible it does in the desert or jungle.

At 4,000 rounds, you're about halfway through the service life of your blaster.  You will start to see things change over the next 4,000 rounds through it.  I'm looking forward to the posts when you come to the conclusion those of us who have burned untold crates of ammo through them realized years ago.

The AK propaganda is one of the most successful campaign of lies I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#23]
With my AK, I put 30 rounds in one hole at 675yds.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
so..ooooo

Do what the Israelis did with theirs:

Dump them on some poor sucker nation who thinks they're getting a great weapon, while using Colt Commando variants...i.e., and AR15 carbine that is lightweight, with practical optics.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#25]
The Kalashnikov is a good weapon. Rugged and reliable, it's the very embodiment of a basic infantry weapon. It isn't fancy, but it works.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#26]
You guys are full of it.

My buddy runs a deep sea diving operation.  He dives with his AK for protection against sharks, frog men, kracken, etc.  It even saved his life once.  He's been diving with it for 10 years and hasn't cleaned it once.  The salt acts as lube and it shoots like a champ.

AR's belong in the dumpster

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The Kalashnikov is a good weapon. Rugged and reliable, it's the very embodiment of a basic infantry weapon. It isn't fancy, but it works.

No, it isn't.  Read through the thread.  You will come to feel the power of the dark side of the force, and learn to call the AR....master.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
AR-15s are more reliable than you think.

AK-47s are more accurate than you think

This!

There's no such thing as a nuanced position on Arfcom, pick your extreme!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would agree based off of functioning and the malfunctions I have witnessed in an m16, and how often they need to be "cleaned".

AR>AK on iron sights though......for me.....

If you are talking about issued M16 then you might be packing around something you grand daddy shot the barrel out of.

Those poor ass issue rifles have had the hell shot out of them, ran dry, and cleaned half assed their entire service life.. no wonder they fucking fail.

No military experience, but isn't that what matters? Long lasting and reliable in poor conditions? The simpler the cleaning the better? Just about any weapon will function fine when shooting 80 rounds from a bench at the range before going home to a clean safe.

80 rounds off of a bench, my ass...

Here is my M16A4 from 2005/2006.

––It survived multiple rain storms covered in mud
––Ii survived multiple dust storms
––It was regularly covered in sand when I laid it next to me to man crew-serve weapons
––It has fired multiple thousands of rounds in both training and combat
––IT HAS NEVER JAMMED.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/schkoot/M16A4.jpg

I agree with you. I just find it odd when people say if it runs fine when it is cleaned and is new then it doesn't matter how it holds up in the long term, or if it is cleaned poorly. My AR has always worked, where as my AK has had many issues. I don't doubt the AR at all but I find that particular argument "it is an issue weapon so of course it won't work" an odd one.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You guys are full of it.

My buddy runs a deep sea diving operation.  He dives with his AK for protection against sharks, frog men, kracken, etc.  It even saved his life once.  He's been diving with it for 10 years and hasn't cleaned it once.  The salt acts as lube and it shoots like a champ.

AR's belong in the dumpster

+1 fear of Kraken attack is why I own guns

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#31]
When I was working at a range, I cleaned a guys Colt SP1 from the 70's that had never been field stripped.  All he ever did was clean the chamber, and barrel.

It was the first time I had ever scraped copper fouling off of the bolt tail of an AR.    Thing shot FINE that dirty.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

this is where all AK's belong

It's 23 years old and has shit tons of rounds through it so all the parts just keep dropping off every time I pick it up.  You have no idea how much glue and duct tape were used for this photo opp.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...cut....

...or people equating its performance with blanks to its performance with live ammo.

This.  The only issues I've ever had with an M-16 were with blank ammunition.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:10:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Depends on who it's built by.

A well built AK will be as reliable as advertised. But I've seen AKs in the Middle East that jammed every other round. Hell the most of the Arab Armies hate their AKs, but they're cheap so they keep 'em.

Some people put way too much value on reliability. You're most likely not going to die in a firefight if you have to do immediate action or SPORTS.

Every REAL military teaches it's Soldiers to clean their rifles, no matter what rifle it is they carry. The Russians made damn sure that Ivan cleaned his AK. The only people that say the AK is great because you don't have to clean are it lazy or stupid.

I've seen the M4 extensively used in very dusty places in Kuwait and Iraq and it worked just about every time. All my jams were magazine related, once I found the bad magazine and got rid of it, I had no more problems.

Absolutely right !
Like a ex-conscript in an AK equipped military ,I can confirm this at 100%.

If my company commander finds little rust or powder residue in my gun- the outcome for me was crawling with gas mask or full NBC suit at the parade ground for a few hours..

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Depends on who it's built by.

A well built AK will be as reliable as advertised. But I've seen AKs in the Middle East that jammed every other round. Hell the most of the Arab Armies hate their AKs, but they're cheap so they keep 'em.

Some people put way too much value on reliability. You're most likely not going to die in a firefight if you have to do immediate action or SPORTS.

Every REAL military teaches it's Soldiers to clean their rifles, no matter what rifle it is they carry. The Russians made damn sure that Ivan cleaned his AK. The only people that say the AK is great because you don't have to clean are it lazy or stupid.

I've seen the M4 extensively used in very dusty places in Kuwait and Iraq and it worked just about every time. All my jams were magazine related, once I found the bad magazine and got rid of it, I had no more problems.

Absolutely right !
Like a ex-conscript in an AK equipped military ,I can confirm this at 100%.
If my company commander finds little rust or powder residue in my gun- the outcome for me was crawling with gas mask or full NBC suit at the parade ground for a few hours..

I work with many Romanians, some of whom were conscripts back in the day.  When we are moaning about working nights/weekends/holidays, pay freezes and staff reductions, these guys just keep smiling.  Compared to the oppression of communism, most everything else pales in comparison.

One such coworker put more ammo through our AK platforms in one day than his entire platoon went through when he was in service.  Even though some of our AKs were made in beloved Cugir, he seemed to prefer the AR platforms.  Somewhere, I've got a photo of him shooting 0.5 MOA at 200 yards with one of my ARs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#37]

That's awesome.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Now if only REAL AK's were made out of quality steel, and thickness like a shovel, they wouldn't rattle themselves to death.

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top