BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I think that machine shop is in trouble with the ATF if it's creating and selling 100% lowers without an FFL.

They'd be fine with 80% lowers.

Wouldn't the shop be able to sell the billet and then rent out the mill?  As long as the customer pushes the start button, aren't they making the receiver?

There was a place a while back that was selling 80% receivers, then holding build parties that got in trouble for something like this.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
this is not good guys

Looks like freedom to me.  It's the anti-freedom government response that may not be good.

Bingo.

If you ban production of firearm for personal use (e.g. all posession by private party must go through an FFL, no exceptions - this also closes "the gun show loophole") you've now fundamentally restricted not just individual rights, but also state rights.  Since it's no longer a "special case" regulation -say, against NFA and handguns- and it's universal, you're in effect saying that states do not have authority to regulate their own commerce and defense.  Within their own state.  You must go through a federally licensed party.

Now, maybe in the ultra-liberal SCOTUS of 2020 that might fly, but not right now, it wouldn't.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh, a hit piece about guns?  Color me surprised.

It's amazing how many gun people will still happily talk to fucking journalists.

They're not on our side, people. Knock it off.

Local gun store apparently decided to invite Morgan fucking Spurlock to hang out with them at a gunshow. I'm holding off on a planned purchase until I see just how anti-gun the piece turns out to be.  
ETA: I think it might be a CNN thing too.

I doubt the Journalist announced his intentions
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive heard about the 80% build parties in the past,  and it had been on my to do list as I have access to a haas vf-1 at my work and know how to use it.  This just made it a whole bunch easier for me as I live about 15 miles from Ares Armor.  Think Im gonna go pick up a couple of 80% lowers real soon.  hehehehehehe
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's amazing how many gun people will still happily talk to fucking journalists.

Local gun store apparently decided to invite Morgan fucking Spurlock to hang out with them at a gunshow. I'm holding off on a planned purchase until I see just how anti-gun the piece turns out to be.  

Sure, but still...

The journalist is, in effect, saying, "Holy shit, people!  Guns are made of metal!  And you can buy metal without a background check!"

I mean, I understand that it gets play time, I just can't figure out why.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like Ares does 80% 1911 frames as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Where is the shop with Form 1's and Build-A-Can?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Do those guns require the bullet button?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#9]
It's time to ban CNC Machines for the children.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You say it like it's a joke.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Ah yes, busy body local news channels trying to stir up hysteria.

Anyway, I hope advances in 3d printing one day make gun control completely unenforceable.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Depends on if you build a featureless rifle or not.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

We should just ban manufacturing altogether.  It's icky, it pollutes, it contributes to global warming, the owners are often of the greedy, "rich 1%" inclination, and you can create all sorts of dangerous objects that can hurt children.  Sharp pencils, for instance, can be used to poke out eyes.  We should just have China manufacture it all, so they get all the "nasty" parts (including that horrible "profit"), and inspectors at our ports can protect us from icky items that shouldn't be here.

Win!

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes - &  they've taken deposits from buyers BEFORE they got their ATF approval letter for those 1911 80%'s.      Ummmm yeah - this much attention in so short a period of time will always bode well!  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It's an AR15 but at the same time it's not because it has no markings to identify it as such.

This probably depends on how the law about "Assault" rifle configurations in CA is worded.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't worry, this is all part of CalGun's plan.  They'll have to make it illegal before its legal.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm so in.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sounds exactly like what Rick Celata of KTOrdnance.com was doing 10 yrs ago, shortly before ATF raided his shop and confiscated everything and charged him with a bunch of stuff. I think most of the charges have been dropped/resolved, but last I knew, he still hasn't gotten back everything they confiscated (personal firearms, tooling, computers email lists, stock and inventory). Hope Ares has better luck.

Last time, there was no media involvement.

THis time, its on the news.  

I predict a CF of epic proportions - even if an individual IS allowed to make a firearm at hope for personal use.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

From my cold dead hands.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From my cold dead hands Forklift.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Is that like Cramer's make your own pizza pie restaurant?
Quoted:
They had a roll your own cigarette store in Brooklyn a while back.  I like business that figure out creative ways to tell the govt to FO.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#23]
This is easy.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If it has a pistol grip or any other "feature" then yes, or an otherwise fixed magazine.  Also, magazine capacity cannot exceed 10 rounds.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

do they have a site?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

do they have a site?  

Google Ares Armor.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#27]
By this logic, the dude who pushes the start button on the machine at Colt is the actual manufacturer, not Colt themselves.

Or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
By this logic, the dude who pushes the start button on the machine at Colt is the actual manufacturer, not Colt themselves.

Corporations can designate employees and officers to preform actions on their behalf.
Or did you think there was actually corporate responsibility?  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#29]
My father-in-law has a shop smith in his barn... Can I build lowers with that? If so, I may have a new project.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My father-in-law has a shop smith in his barn... Can I build lowers with that? If so, I may have a new project.

Yes.

Links:  (feel free to hotlink for me anyone)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_51/115619_Home_build_laws_for_individuals__can_you_make__can_you_transfer___.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/484783_Vader_Spade_s_80__AR_15_build___Milling__Etching__and_Anodizing.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/210572_Building_the_KT_15___By_Secret_Gunsmith___For_Reference_Only.html
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Clearly trying to spin in a bad light by the use of "untraceable."
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Clearly trying to spin in a bad light by the use of "untraceable."

The news director of that outfit is a bar buddy of mine.  I'll give him a ration.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Ares has this shit on their website. The registering of 3D printers and CNC machines with the ATF has been discussed on this forum before. This is nothing new and I haven't even been a member here long.

For all you with extra tight tinfoil you better get your ranger belts before the ATF shuts them down.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The journalist's intentions were, as we like to say in the legal profession, reasonably foreseeable.  

From what Ares Armor posted on their Facebook page, they agreed to the journalist's presence there for the purpose of the story on the condition that he wouldn't put any bias on the story, that he would tell an honest account of the event. from what I've read, he did, as nothing he said was untrue.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Not sure how this ties in but the bleaching you see in the malls is kind of like this.   It's actually practicing dentistry without a license.  So to get around it the helper does all the set up, puts the stuff in the tray and you put it in your own mouth.  So when something goes wrong its the customers fault because they did it to themselves.  If that's legal this sure as heck should be
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Colt owns the machines. The employee is employeed. Colt is in the business of manufacture for resale and is appropriately liscensed.

This is different in that, the individual is renting the machine (I'm presuming) and is manufacturing for his private use and will not be allowed to sell the gun, for all practical purposes. Technically you can sell a home made gun but not for the purposes of making a profit....blah blah. It's a grey area same as is "dealing without a liscense". The ATF cannot tell you a number which is the limit for selling guns, per year.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Ares has this shit on their website. The registering of 3D printers and CNC machines with the ATF has been discussed on this forum before. This is nothing new and I haven't even been a member here long.

For all you with extra tight tinfoil you better get your ranger belts before the ATF shuts them down.

I think the California legislature is more of a threat in this instance than the ATF..

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Off to Ares Armor......
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the California legislature is more of a threat in this instance than the ATF..

This.

Not to forget the other out of control legislators around the country that will follow Cali's follies.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Talk about one of those things for which you should not seek publicity...

We shouldn't be afraid to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights. But you are probably right.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#41]
dandy just what the sheeple needed to hear coming from a liberal news media outlet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Or just purchase an 80% and finish it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I kinda want to build some AR-type weapons but name them things like "Ay-Kay Fortyseven" or MK19
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I kinda want to build some AR-type weapons but name them things like "Ay-Kay Fortyseven" or MK19

During the ban, mine were "A15"
I should've done "ARgh-15" but the pirate craze had not quite hit yet and I sucked at stamping characters by hand.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Goddammit...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You're not thinking like the our Government now does. This setup is bypassing all those restrictions the CA and Fed Government have put into place, you know for our protection. They must be made an example of (my guess is they will be). They're not breaking any law? Fuck it, raid their shop, tie them up in court for years, bankrupt them and make a big story out of it so no one dares do it again.

Just to be clear I think it's pretty cool what they're doing but they better watch their corn holes.

Yep.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

What about this pesky law?
Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within
California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for
sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed
firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California
by the Department of Justice.

It looks like they would have to get their 1911's approved by Cal DOJ.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice.

No clue.  I never looked into an 80% build on a handgun.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#49]
anybody notice that they took the video down? watched it this afternoon, but can't find it now
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice.

there are exemptions to that law.  The most commonly used exemption is to build it up as a dimensionally-compliant single-shot handgun, commonly referred to SSE (single-shot exempt) in CA.

32100.    (b) Article 4 (commencing with Section 31900) and Article 5
(commencing with Section 32000) shall not apply to a single-shot
pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has
an overall length of at least 10½ inches when the handle, frame or
receiver, and barrel are assembled.

The law does not state that the handgun stay in that config forever.  It can be converted into any type of handgun you want, provided you don't create an AW or NFA item.

So, you initially build it up with an 8" barrel and a"zero-round magazine".  At some point after that, you swap the 8" barrel for a standard barrel and pop in a regular mag.  Now, you have your semi-auto 1911.

this is the same way that people are building AR and AK pistols and also buying Gen4 Glocks, STI 1911's, and other off-roster handguns in CA every day.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top