Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I want to make it fun for my kids....had a rough year and still going through bad times. I'll try to make the most of it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#2]
On the first day of Kwanzaa, Obama gave to me...

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate Christmas music. I hate that Christmas displays go up earlier each year. I actually saw some stuff going up at the end of August this year. I hate that people buy me gifts despite me telling then not to then act hurt because they got nothing in return. "I've told you not to get me anything for years. Why are you surprised by my reaction?".

Really it's not bad since I have stopped buying for everybody but the kids, wife and my parents. No more aunts, uncles, cousins, friends and so on. The other day I heard somebody complaining about having to still shop for their kid's teachers, dance instructors and the mailman (seriously?). All this after knowing that her husband took a huge hour cutback at work and she may be losing her job. Somehow spending into debt with that going on seems like a good idea.

Edit: Grammar
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The only highlight is the amount of football on tv. Every night for almost a month straight there's a bowl game or and nfl game on.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not me. I have three kids. I love the holidays because i get to experience childhood vicariously through them again.

Enjoy it while it lasts because they grow up and it's never the same again.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its all about family.

It's all about a guy named Jesus.

To those who share that view. Growing up in a country that makes it such an ordeal though you just learn to treat it as another family gathering holiday like Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I could care less. Doesn't bother me in the least.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll be spending Christmas deployed halfway around the world.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

We used to go to the mountains of Tennessee every year and rent a rustic cabin at a state park back in the sticks. Peace and quiet, no phones, cook up a bird and relax ahhhhh.

This time of year if you look hard enough you can find stay one get one night free and we would stay a week at half price.

This sounds great.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its all about family.

There is certainly pressure to give, though. I've been flat broke and felt really bad I couldn't buy family or girlfriend anything but that's how it was.

I hear ya, a lot of folks in the same boat. I get together with my surving borthers and family and we just hang out for the day, and eat a great meal No pressure to buy gifts for anyone.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its all about family.

It's all about a guy named Jesus.

To some or most. It can certainly be about family or the spirit of giving for those with other beliefs.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A cell phone and a car key...

On the second day of Kwanzaa, Obama gave to me....

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two debit cards....

On the third day of Kwanzaa, Obama gave to me....

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2nd one without our daughter..it's going to suck very much badly

I can relate to this.

but it was our son

Jeez.

Sorry for all
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#15]
If it weren't for my son, I'd spend it in a drunken stupor. I hate the holidays.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

We have the tree up, anyone else?

Tree goes up after turkey day

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I enjoyed it when the kids were young.  Now it stresses me out trying to figure out what to get everyone.  I don't look forward to it.

Im with this guy.   My youngest is 16 and honestly , I only like going to cut the tree down with her now.

The rest of it I can do without.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Two debit cards....  

three double deuces....
On the fourth day of Kwanzaa , Obama gave to me...
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Two debit cards....  

three double deuces....
On the fourth day of Kwanzaa , Obama gave to me...

a wookie with tha veedee

On the fifth day of Kwanzaa , Obama gave to me...
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I prefer Thanksgiving. You get to spend quality time with your family and not have the added pressure of gift giving.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I love Christmas

The season is not about Santa Clause and presents, its about the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ

Even if I don't have two dimes to rub together, i'm not deployed and my kids and family are healthy.

As long as I have a few presents for my kids, and my wife is sitting beside me cuddled on my couch things will be ok.

Managed to get my Daughter a used iphone, and my wifes Ipad is 50% paid for

If things go good in the EE it will be paid for by the end of the week.

Its just money, family is more important than money anyway.

Free

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Pretty much sums up xmas for me...
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#23]
LOL

Sorry brother same with me

My wife and I make sure the kids and family have presents

I usually make a gun purchase after the first of the year for my present.

My wife always gets in her little Santa helpers outfit the keep me in the holiday spirit

Free

Quoted:
I dread it as well. I try to put some thought into the gifts I give and usually get shit in return. That, and the whole season stresses me the fuck out and costs me money.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LOL

My wife always gets in her little Santa helpers outfit the keep me in the holiday spirit

Free

Quoted:

I dread it as well. I try to put some thought into the gifts I give and usually get shit in return. That, and the whole season stresses me the fuck out and costs me money.

Pics not loading..........
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Christmas and Thanksgiving are the worst for me.  My Grandfather died of cancer last year at this time.

RIP Bruce Truesdale Sr.
Col. USMC

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I prefer Thanksgiving. You get to spend quality time with your family and not have the added pressure of gift giving.

My family quashed the gift giving thing years ago.
It is not the reason for Christmas.

I also enjoy Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I love Christmas, celebrating the birth of my Savior.  Listening to "Oh Holy Night" gives me chills.  I listen to Christmas music periodically throughout the year.  I enjoy giving to my children, making them happy, but it gets harder each year because their "toys" cost more.  I don't spoil them throughout the year, but try to at Christmas, within reason.  They know the true meaning.  We attend our church Christmas Eve, the only time my husband will go with us, other than Easter.  My oldest is 17 and will be 18 next  Christmas.  This makes me cry.  I wish this year I could do something extra special for her.

The part I hate is I seem to get depressed around the holidays, but nobody knows it but my best friend.  I hide it well.  My husband doesn't plan, so I carry Christmas, always have.  He puts in some, but I shoulder most of it.  I have to hear him fuss how much he hates iChristmas because he is from a large family and they all exchange gifts, so he only gives to his parents.  I tell him to save or buy throughout the year, but he doesn't.    I can't buy for them because I have handled our kids.   Sometimes we stay home and cook a great meal, other times I go to my family and he his.   I don't need to receive a lot of gifts, but appreciate it when someone thinks of me.   I enjoy buying a few special friends, close as sisters, gifts.   I quit buying for teachers, etc. years ago.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My family quashed the gift giving thing years ago.

It is not the reason for Christmas.

I also enjoy Thanksgiving.

That's the way to do it. I wish I could get the family on track with just enjoying being around each other.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not me. I have three kids. I love the holidays because i get to experience childhood vicariously through them again.

Enjoy it while it lasts because they grow up and it's never the same again.

Yup. Thats why i try to make the most of it while i still can. With the way the world is going, they may never get to experience Christmas with their own kids in the same way i do with them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm stoked about it!
It will be the first time I've seen my wife and kids in 6 months.

All you guys pissing and moaning about it need to get over yourselves.

EDIT: Except for AJK07734. Sorry man.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Christmas and Thanksgiving are the worst for me.  My Grandfather died of cancer last year at this time.

RIP Bruce Truesdale Sr.
Col. USMC

Wow!

I work with your Uncle (Bruce) since 1990.

Jim

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I am actually looking forward to it this year....
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I love Christmas

The season is not about Santa Clause and presents, its about the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ

Even if I don't have two dimes to rub together, i'm not deployed and my kids and family are healthy.

As long as I have a few presents for my kids, and my wife is sitting beside me cuddled on my couch things will be ok.

"That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."

Linus van Pelt

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Not to sound like an ass but, its not what
Christmas is really about.

I never get crap gifts because my wife just asks me and her dad what we want directly. She knows that we are both spoiled brats and have most of the things we want already. I am not saying I am rich or have a lot but if I want something I usually buy it for myself.

At Christmas I love spoiling the kids and wife extra because unfortunately most of my blood relatives are deceased. If they don't get me much in return I am a grown-assed man and I don't even think twice about it. Like others have said it isn't about that stuff anyway.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#35]
The traffic around here gets bad and people are packed into the stores buying hundreds of dollars of merchandise. I just want a SIG P232 for Christmas.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Not looking forward at all.   Gonna be living in my car starting next week. Not mentioning this to any family or GF.  Don't wanna deal with them.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't even believe in God and I LOVE the CHRISTMAS (As in CHRIST) Season.

Dropping by to see old friends that I haven't had much time for all year, buying presents for my friend's little ones.....

It's all good, 'wouldn't have it any other way (The kisses from happy little ones are the best)

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think I may take a vacation this year to avoid the whole thing.

Took the family skiing to Snowshoe, WV last year. Didn't put up a single decoration or a tree. Christmas morning on the slopes it was 22 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. It was awesome !

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Headaches , family fights...I could be fine without it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

This sounds perfect.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Sorry they exceed the BOTD rulles

Here she is

Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

Free

Quoted:

Pics not loading..........

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Why would you people BUY for Teachers?
They always vote DEM!
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I use to dread the holidays, but then I just stopped spending them with my family and everything's great now.

I don't mind Christmas, and I don't mind visiting relatives... but I don't like putting the two together.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I hate it, just costs me money.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I ignore the whole season, don't participate and really could not care less.

I usually don't shop for 2 weeks prior to the day.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I hung up the lights 3 days ago. I love christmas now. Before I had my daughter I was the guy
dr suess based the grinch on
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#47]
It's oddly liberating this year, as I'm too poor to give anyone presents.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Christmas can be a rough time of the year.  I feel bad for the posters that lost family or friends or who are a long ways away from home serving.  Hopefully it will be better in the future.  Fortunately I have my wife and kids around which makes it great.  I will be working both Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I have no problem with it.  That way someone else doesn't have to.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My tree is up, but it is bare.  I need to buy new lights for it.  I stole the led mini lights from the tree to decorate outside.  I also had to go buy 2 more boxes of lights and some more siding/gutter clips to finish decorating outside.  Once I get some more led lights and wrap the tree, I'll have to decide how many strands of bubble lights I'll put on the tree this year.  I had 3 last year (only 7 lights per strand), but I am thinking of going with 4 or 5 strands this year.

I have about 1/3 of the living room decorated, but still have both bathrooms, the kitchen, and the guest room to go.  The guest room is being done in a gingerbread theme.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I hate the commercialization of Christmas.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top