Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2012 6:17:18 AM EDT
Is it possible?

I'm tired of paying $100 a month just to watch Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
MIght be cheaper to just buy season passes of your shows through iTunes.  Event HBO Go requires a subscription through your cable provider.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe there are some modded AppleTVs that are capable of doing this.  I am pretty sure that is why they are going for $300 on eBay.  Apparently there is access to tons of content.  

Other than that, would only be if you had a friend that has HBO service, and is subscribed to HBO GO, and is willing to let you freeload off of him.  From my understanding, there is going to be an app on the PS3 and Xbox soon for HBO GO, similar to Netflix.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is it possible?

I'm tired of paying $100 a month just to watch Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones.

Maybe if you have a friend who'll give you their login to HBO Go.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it possible?

Maybe if you have a friend who'll give you their login to HBO Go.

I don't have any "rich" friends.

I'm the "rich" friend.

Edit: Actually I'm the cheap son of a bitch 1%er.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:33:10 AM EDT
[#5]
i remember watching hbo without cable as a kid......
grainy semi-colored screeen, flicking all over the place....
LOOK! THERE'S A BOOB!
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#6]
HBO Go should be streaming without the need for a cable company.  I bet the cable companies were smart enough to prevent that from happening.  It would really hurt sales if I could get HBO streamed to my Roku for just $10/mo without needing to pay the cable company $13 or so for regular HBO.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:41:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

HBO Go should be streaming without the need for a cable company. I bet the cable companies were smart enough to prevent that from happening. It would really hurt sales if I could get HBO streamed to my Roku for just $10/mo without needing to pay the cable company $13 or so for regular HBO.

Do cable companies have to pay  to carry HBO like they do other channels?
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Can you install a satellite dish?

http://www.dishtv.com
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Can you install a satellite dish?

http://www.dishtv.com

Yes but why?

I don't want to pay for stuff I don't want.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
HBO Go should be streaming without the need for a cable company. I bet the cable companies were smart enough to prevent that from happening. It would really hurt sales if I could get HBO streamed to my Roku for just $10/mo without needing to pay the cable company $13 or so for regular HBO.

Do cable companies have to pay  to carry HBO like they do other channels?

It's probably more of a cut of the action.  I think my cable company charges like $12.95 for about 7 channels worth of HBO.  My last company had over 10 channels for a similar price.

I reckon...HBO gets $10, and the cable company gets $2.95 or something like that.  But it's probably in the contract to NOT allow for streaming only...bypassing the cable company of their $2.95.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes but why?

I don't want to pay for stuff I don't want.

Because you can get HBO for much less than $100 / mo that way.  I know what you're saying about paying for stuff you don't want though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top