Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/12/2012 5:06:28 AM EDT
Lets drop the election garbage and focus on a real issue:

t'was a brisk tuesday night, my bible study had been cancled, but a fellow "clinger" had invited the wife and I and everyone from our bible group to their house to watch the election, eat, drink, be merry and share in fellowship.

In my haste to ready the baby and myself I forgot to make ready a dish to share. So as the wife and I left the house we settled on running to COSTCO to pick up some snacks. She dropped me off at the front and I ran inside.

After much deliberation I picked up a platter of hot wings and made my way for the check out lines. I paid and had begun to leave when I approached..... the checker!

I noticed they had one large person checking reciepts, and about 5 people in line, each with a cart FULL of groceries for their hoards at home. I tacticly decided to breeze past the checker and her "We check reciepts to make sure you recieved everything you paid for" sign; hot wings in hand...

"sir I need to check your reciept"

"I got it thanks"

"No I need to check it"

"I promise I wont be returning these... have a good night"

"well thanks alot" she countered in a huff...

Before dashing out the door I glanced at the sentry and the line of soccer moms... the checker was distraught... and the moms had a look of... "can he do that?" on their faces

Keep in mind this took place in the span of 3 seconds, I didnt have time to wait in line... I had hungry bible thumpers to satiate!

I tally this a success in my book.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for you. My wife yells at me when I do that

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:08:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:08:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Way to stick it to the man!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:08:34 AM EDT
[#4]
They have receipt checkers at Sams Club (I'm guessing it's similar to Costco) and I never understood why they checked receipts.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:08:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good for you. My wife yells at me when I do that

Mine too

Quoted:
Way to stick it to the man!

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe your membership requires you to stop.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Your grainy surveillance photo will now be posted at every checkout station.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's funny. I shop there once a week and everyone seems to know me. Employees have commented to my wife when she is shopping alone that I wasn't there.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Good thing this wasn't a Las Vegas Costco.  Concealing your "receipt" could get you shot!  
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:19:36 AM EDT
[#11]
They're there to mak sure you aren't over-charged AND that you got everything you paid for.

That's what it says on the Internet..

ETA I think they might catch the really obvious collusion between customer and checker.  A short receipt for the number of items or one high priced item that doesn't show on receipt.   If they're trying that is.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn the man!

Save the Empire!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:21:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It does but, hey, what's a little saying "fuck my obligations" when you're in a hurry?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:21:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Welcome to Costco, I love you
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:24:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They're there to mak sure you aren't over-charged AND that you got everything you paid for.

That's what it says on the Internet..

ETA I think they might catch the really obvious collusion between customer and checker.  A short receipt for the number of items or one high priced item that doesn't show on receipt.   If they're trying that is.

I thought they are making sure you are not shoplifting.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#16]
The FSA ignores rules, laws and any society norms.  Why can't we also?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:27:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

On a related note. I hear Costco is accepting food stamp now.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:29:07 AM EDT
[#18]
You joined a club and signed an agreement.  May they be cursed for trying to enforce it  You're being difficult for the sake of being difficult
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I've never been stopped by a receipt checker.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:30:33 AM EDT
[#20]
This thread has let me down.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#21]
so did my trigger dicipline....
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:33:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Meh. They've probably got surveillance equipment like CSI anyway. Folks would be surprised what big name companies have in the AP office now. I've seen some blu-ray quality surveillance. If I hadn't have seen it myself I wouldn't have believed it, but retailers are moving past the days of grainy black and white cameras.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't understand the big deal.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:36:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Is this similar to not returning shopping carts to the corral?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So, you have derision for a segment of society who doesn't obey the rules and social norms and then wonder why we shouldn't behave the same way?

I guess you don't see the logical disconnect there, which is a fucking shame.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is this similar to not returning shopping carts to the corral?

Yes.  But with receipts.  And no shopping carts.  Or corrals.

Totally, exactly like it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:43:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:44:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?  How would that even work? You have to be a business owner or civil servant to shop there.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Jesus.....  Because it would be fucking EASY to steal from Costco.  They don't bag and you could walk in, cart up a TV and walk out if they did not check.   Or sneak something expensive in.  

All they are doing is really counting items, and if you have something like a camera, verify it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:46:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

They have receipt checkers at Sams Club (I'm guessing it's similar to Costco) and I never understood why they checked receipts.

Things aren't bagged at Sam's/Costco/BJ's like they are at Walmart and other stores.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:49:25 AM EDT
[#32]
In cases like this I simply give them the receipt so they can check it at their leisure.  Everybody wins

Also I like fry's–– nobody gets out of there without being corralled by the checkout, obviating the need for receipt checkers at the door. Do your receipt checking at the point of sale, please.  Don't create a huge bottleneck at the exit.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:49:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?  How would that even work? You have to be a business owner or civil servant to shop there.

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq349/PJ-kun/jackie-chan-MY-BRAIN-IS-FULL-OF-FUCK.jpg

They haven't enforced those requirements for years.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq349/PJ-kun/jackie-chan-MY-BRAIN-IS-FULL-OF-FUCK.jpg

Uhhh, no you don't. Anyone can join Costco and they sell food sooooooo.... it doesn't really seem all that crazy that they'd accept EBT, now does it?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They do it so than can catch any cashier errors like an over charge or a no charge like a case of water on the bottom of the basket or the fact that they might have rang you up for 2 bananas instead of one. Or the fact that a cashier might of forgotten to give you stamps or you might of forgotten to pick up a pick up item at the cage.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Meh. They've probably got surveillance equipment like CSI anyway. Folks would be surprised what big name companies have in the AP office now. I've seen some blu-ray quality surveillance. If I hadn't have seen it myself I wouldn't have believed it, but retailers are moving past the days of grainy black and white cameras.  
A coworker's wife is the loss-prevention manager for a large big box store. The tales of how they bust people are epic, like intentional/obvious "blind spots" the dome cameras cannot see, only to have pinhole cameras observing the area and someone detailed to watch those feeds whenever a patron is in those areas.
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone with $60 can be a member.
The FSA is hilarious at Costco, because they have explicit rules about the debit card must match the membership, so one FSA member can't get in 4-5 friends and then all try to check out with different cards. Unfortunately, I know at least PA is now including a form for a free Costco membership with foodstamps. But they do love to mob the free sample ladies.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In cases like this I simply give them the receipt so they can check it at their leisure.  Everybody wins

Also I like fry'sā€“ā€“ nobody gets out of there without being corralled by the checkout, obviating the need for receipt checkers at the door. Do your receipt checking at the point of sale, please.  Don't create a huge bottleneck at the exit.

Ive done this too... I love the look

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#38]

You have a small hand...........where's kcolg30 at????
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#39]
If they funnel everyone through a cash register's station, why do they need a receipt checker? It's not like they are able to do anything more than a cursory glance at your bags.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Costco is a posted no-weapons business. Why give em yours?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:57:29 AM EDT
[#41]
You agree to that when you become a member. I won't stop for people at Walmart but if you want to shop at Costco you play by their rules.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You agree to that when you become a member. I won't stop for people at Walmart but if you want to shop at Costco you play by their rules.

I was un-aware that it was in my contract....

Quoted:
Costco is a posted no-weapons business. Why give em yours?

I have yet to see a sign at my Costco...
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They haven't enforced those requirements for years.

I checked, you are correct. Oh well, that sucks.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#44]
They also have a no weapons policy in their agreement.  Not telling you what to do but it is in there.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#45]
well, gents I had the misfortune of working at COstco in the college years.  I injured my wrist while working there, so I had the luxury of doing this tedious job.  The reason they check receipts is due to the cart transfers.  When you check out, you notice how they move the items from cart to the next?  There are many times when items get moved and not scanned.  On the average, they say it happens approximately 5-8 times per day, and yes, I have witnessed it.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#46]
What would Jesus do?

Wait in line? Or break the rules?

??

Oh what the heck your an arfcomer at heart

Good for you on breaking the rules badboy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Now if the banks would follow suit. Pittsburgh had one bank robbed 3 times last week.

All the photos of the suspect are barely distinguishable as to if they are even human.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This.

Unlike Walmart which is open to the public, Costco is a members-only store.  True, they don't have any legal right to stop and check your receipt and can't hold you if you haven't shoplifted.  But they can easily check their database to see who bought only hot wings a few minutes ago and cancel your membership, banning you from all Costcos.  It's in the membership agreement you signed, just like you agree to let them search any bags or backpacks.

Quoted:

No need.  They already have all your personal information in their DB, including the picture you posed for on your membership card.

BTW, Costco keeps a record of everything you buy forever.  A while back my father wanted to know if they had a power saw stand like he bought there a while ago.  He didn't know what it was called or who made it or even when he bought it, so a clerk walked up to a computer terminal, entered his membership number, and pulled up his entire history.  And there it was from a few years back.  She told him what it was called, who made it, the exact date he bought it and what he paid for it.

Keep this in mind the next time you go out shopping for plastic tarps, rope, duct tape, gloves, a ski mask, a chainsaw, and a shovel.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:10:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Yeah, I buy the 40 lb bags of dog food there, usually two at a time.  I decide to show how manly I am and just throw them on my shoulder.  I realize quickly, I am not as manly as I think I am when there is a line 6 people deep and I have to hold 80 pounds of dog food while I wait for the slow checker to look over everyone's purchases.  I am clearly carrying two large bags that I could not easily steal.  Why bother?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top