Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2012 3:12:20 PM EDT
school me on 100 lb propane tanks.  I am looking to pick a couple used ones up.   anything I should worry about?
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]
1.  whether the tanks are marked so that there is an expiration date on the last time that they can be refilled;
2.  whether they have been repainted to cover rust;
3.  whether they are damaged;
4.  whether zoning/fire marshall allows you to have them and place them where you want;
5.  whether you can lift and transport 200 pounds which is the weight of a filled tank.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure Expiration dates are good. At least a couple years out.

Otherwise a visual inspection to look for cracks , rust or damaged valve

I lift one by myself from driveway to back of house... Once I clear gate I lay it down and roll it to it's spot
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]
They don't expire, all can be recertified if good

No pitting, no dents, no bent guards
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't let them roll around in the back of a pickup bed.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
One I found doesn't have a guard around the valve.  Is that an issue?  How much does recertifying cost?  I have plenty of room for them.  Figure I can move them with garden tractor trailer and hand cart.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One I found doesn't have a guard around the valve.  Is that an issue?  How much does recertifying cost?  I have plenty of room for them.  Figure I can move them with garden tractor trailer and hand cart.

Are there threads around the base like an acetylene bottle? If so you're good but will need to buy a cap for it. Otherwise it's junk.

We recertify free with fill up but all depends on place

Theyre good 12yrs from manufacture and 5yrs from each recertify

Still lots out there good from the 40s and 50s, built them to last back then, some a full 30lbs heavier empty than new production
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Amerigas wouldn't refill my 100lb tank, they indicated it had expired.  I did bother fighting them b/c I have a gun shop that will fill it and they are cheaper.  Is there some universal standard that can be referenced in case this is an issue down the road?

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Tank fitting design changed a few years back.  Make sure connections will mate properly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amerigas wouldn't refill my 100lb tank, they indicated it had expired.  I did bother fighting them b/c I have a gun shop that will fill it and they are cheaper.  Is there some universal standard that can be referenced in case this is an issue down the road?

Amerigas/ferrel are the walmarts of propane

I can't imagine that they weren't certified to put it back in service, probably lazy, ignorant or both

Reference the 12/5/5... Thing
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tank fitting design changed a few years back.  Make sure connections will mate properly.

Opd valves support both internal and external thread connections

However, anything over 40#s is exempt from the opd bullshit
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#11]
NEVER  store  inside  w / or  near  a  heat ( ignition ) source .    
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but if he buys tanks with POL fittings and the connection is Acme then he's still got a problem.  Since the 100# tanks won't be likely to have OPD valves, they may not have both threads.

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just hate the Opd valves. Was this switch solution for a non problem?
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but if he buys tanks with POL fittings and the connection is Acme then he's still got a problem.  Since the 100# tanks won't be likely to have OPD valves, they may not have both threads.

True, on the appliance side anyway

However, offhand I can't think of anything with a factory hose long enough to reach up to a 100#

And if you have to have a hose made, fuck those restricted acne bastards, pol all the way
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just hate the Opd valves. Was this switch solution for a non problem?

I hate them more than you and yes.

Lawyers to blame
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, they do make pol to acme adapters
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Are you cooking meth?
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are there threads around the base like an acetylene bottle? If so you're good but will need to buy a cap for it. Otherwise it's junk.

Still lots out there good from the 40s and 50s, built them to last back then, some a full 30lbs heavier empty than new production

What do you mean by base?  The base of the valve or the very bottom of the tank?  The cap is for the threads on the valve?

I will use the pol connection hose.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are you cooking meth?

Lol no.  A couple different uses including generator and backup to the larger tank
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you mean by base?  The base of the valve or the very bottom of the tank?  The cap is for the threads on the valve?

I will use the pol connection hose.

Threads below the valve, to screw on a cap like on oxy/acetylene bottles

If it had a welded on guard and that's gone now it's junk
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#21]
i picked up two 100lb tanks for $20 each.  one had a little propane in it.  One needs the tank collar.  Anyone know where i can get a screw on collar?
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are you cooking meth?

Do you use a 100 pound tank for your meth cooking?

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you cooking meth?

Do you use a 100 pound tank for your meth cooking?

Moonshine son, moonshine... We don't mess with the Meth

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's that work for Acetylene and O2 tanks? I have some from the 80s and 90s in Los Angeles that I would like to trade in on some new refills.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's that work for Acetylene and O2 tanks? I have some from the 80s and 90s in Los Angeles that I would like to trade in on some new refills.

Can't say but I'd expect exchange to be a non-issue if they're still ok

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top