Site Notices
7/23/2014 4:06:00 PM
7/21/2014 6:12:25 PM
Author
Posted: 10/17/2012 8:47:54 AM
Williston ND

Supply and demand working at its best
Run for your lives! The end of the world is coming! Take shelter! Protect the fire! Kill the strangers! Zombies are running amok! !Death has got his groove on! The Four Horsemen look pissed!
gonzo_beyondo
on a Buffalooo...
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 8:52:04 AM

Originally Posted By Bat-Masterson:
Williston ND

Supply and demand working at its best

I read an article where McDonalds was offering a signing bonus.

Guess nobody wants to work at McDonalds or Walmart when there's oil jobs available.

Can't say I blame em. Not much of a fortune to be made as a door greeter.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely. -HST
HUMONGO
I am the voice of Rage and Ruin
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 8:53:28 AM
[Last Edit: 10/17/2012 8:54:34 AM by HUMONGO]
Yeah, but it's in fucking Williston, ND. Ain't shit there anymore but hookers, strippers and oil workers.....not a fucking house or apartment to be had. Even used trailers are going for double their original retail price at times.
Originally Posted By Procyon:
"While you nerds were screwing around with Internet speed tests, I got a blowjob. Now I'm eating pizza."

K3ZMB
Chuy123
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 8:54:05 AM
$17 an hour is respectable money. I would rather work there than be on the Govt teet.
winddummy82
Labor Omnia Vincit. UBC L.U. #13
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 8:54:16 AM
$17 a hour is not much considering the cost of living up there
living well is the best revenge!

R.I.P. CPT Ritz, SSG Epps, SSG Ortiz... AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!! c2/325 abn inf 1983 - 1986 M60 gunners shoot more;o)~
TheGunCollector
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 8:54:41 AM
We had the same thing here in Western Colorado a few years back. $1500 signing bonuses for fast food places was common. Enjoy it while it lasts.
outofbattery
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 8:55:05 AM
What's the cost of living and housing situation there though? It has to be good enough to make it worthwhile for someone to move from their $8 hr Wal Mart job.
Bat-Masterson
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 8:57:14 AM
Originally Posted By outofbattery:
What's the cost of living and housing situation there though? It has to be good enough to make it worthwhile for someone to move from their $8 hr Wal Mart job.

come on asking facts in my OP

cheapest rental is $2500 a month

Run for your lives! The end of the world is coming! Take shelter! Protect the fire! Kill the strangers! Zombies are running amok! !Death has got his groove on! The Four Horsemen look pissed!
FreeFloater
0─╥
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 8:59:15 AM
Originally Posted By gonzo_beyondo:

Shows how far you are behind times.

I haven't seen a door greeter in months...and this is a sample from at least 4 different WalMarts. I think they did away with that position, and nobody checks receipts anymore either.

This has been my experience at least.
odiedodi
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 9:00:50 AM
Wal-mart actually pays rather well by comparison to other retail outlets. Their ass is in the spot light so much for human right abuses so they've been trying to clean up their image.
TheRX7Project
πυροβόλο
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 9:01:29 AM
More than I make per hour. But $2500/mo for rent is just plain retarted.
If it does not pick my pocket nor break my leg, it is of no concern to me. -Thomas Jefferson
USPcompact
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 9:06:19 AM
Originally Posted By HUMONGO:
Yeah, but it's in fucking Williston, ND. Ain't shit there anymore but hookers, strippers and oil workers.....not a fucking house or apartment to be had. Even used trailers are going for double their original retail price at times.

Truth. My good in-laws live in Sidney, MT.

Sidney has had to open their fairgrounds for people to camp because infrastructure can't keep pace with population growth.
Originally Posted By Jeremy Clarkson:

You recently had Obama Barack on...no, it's the other way around, isn't it? If people are going to choose their name from Scrabble tiles...
ElSupremo
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 9:07:30 AM

I flew some guys up there in a King Air last month and spent the day. I walked from airport to Walmart to get a Subway sammich which was inside. The parking lot was literally full of vehicles, mostly pickups with plates from almost every state. There was a constant stream of people in and out of Walmart. It looked like most Walmarts on a Black Friday during the run on Christmas shopping. I got there a little after 11:00 AM. When I finished my sammich there were about 25 people in line at Subway.

All hotels are full and there is no housing available. If you go up there you will need a travel trailer or tent.

winddummy82
Labor Omnia Vincit. UBC L.U. #13
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 9:10:05 AM
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Wal-mart actually pays rather well by comparison to other retail outlets. Their ass is in the spot light so much for human right abuses so they've been trying to clean up their image.

proof please
living well is the best revenge!

R.I.P. CPT Ritz, SSG Epps, SSG Ortiz... AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!! c2/325 abn inf 1983 - 1986 M60 gunners shoot more;o)~
TexasSheepdog
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 9:17:10 AM

Originally Posted By TheRX7Project:
More than I make per hour. But $2500/mo for rent is just plain retarted.

This.
7.62x39: Turning cover into concealment since 1943

96Ag: We're fucked. Plan accordingly.

Kyrie eleison, down the road that I must travel..
avenj
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 9:20:14 AM

So what you're saying is... fuck WalMart, find some land to develop?
HUMONGO
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 10:26:57 AM
Originally Posted By avenj:

So what you're saying is... fuck WalMart, find some land to develop?

That's one way, but you best get moving!

Last year, when Minot flooded, it was fucking bad. I mean bad, bad! The lower areas near the river became virtually unihabitable and all the available housing was essentially already gone. My own mother mover out of her FEMA trailer last month. The flood happened in June last year and she just found a place.

Where I used to live, northeast of Williston in Crosby, ND, they had a program to encourage people to move there, free land, a house, bonuses.....just bring a warm body! Not so much anymore.
"While you nerds were screwing around with Internet speed tests, I got a blowjob. Now I'm eating pizza."

K3ZMB
Skibane
Brown Marmorated Stinkbug
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 1:33:47 PM

Take the job, use the money to buy a used RV, and live in your employer's parking lot for free - right next to all the other snowbirds....
"The skin of civilization is only 7 meals thick..."
MattNificent
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 1:40:25 PM

im listening...
HUMONGO
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 3:26:26 PM
Originally Posted By MattNificent:

im listening...

K3ZMB
joemama74
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 3:45:43 PM
Originally Posted By FreeFloater:
Originally Posted By gonzo_beyondo:

I haven't seen a door greeter in months...and this is a sample from at least 4 different WalMarts. I think they did away with that position, and nobody checks receipts anymore either.

This has been my experience at least.

They still have this old hag at my Walmart. She stopped me last week to check my receipt to make sure I paid for my dog food. A month of two before that, it was my kids diapers.

It wouldn't be so bad, but I buy the cheapest diapers and Ol' Roy dog food.

If I was gonna steal the shit, I'd at least go for the name brand stuff.
odiedodi
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 4:01:20 PM
[Last Edit: 10/17/2012 4:02:04 PM by odiedodi]

Originally Posted By winddummy82:
Originally Posted By odiedodi:

proof please

Anecdotal evidence from working retail and associating myself with people that work retail. It's obviously going to vary by location. Everyone I know that works or has worked at wal-mart wasn't mad about pay. They were mad that the managers were assholes. I go to class with a guy that works backroom and he get's a $.35 raise every year. The wegmans here gives a $.50 raise every six months. It's probably capped relatively low, but it's still the god tier store for people that work retail. Everyone that works elsewhere wants to work there, and everyone that works there loves it. Target provides a sub par base salary and sub par raises compared to the competition (we're talking raises as low as a nickle, and <10 cents is common for employees that do a good job). In fact wal-mart actually has better benefits than target does too:

http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart_target_better/ (yeah it's some hippy website, but it's true)

Target has just been doing great ass marketing to give the public the perception that they're a more socially responsible company, and honestly they do have a lot of initiatives to ensure employee health and wellness, but when it comes down to the brass tacks of pay and benefits, they pay most of their employees less than their competitors do.
Mill3niumThr33
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 4:20:31 PM
Wife and her family are from sidney. Her dad has offices in Sidney and Watford. He hires people, they work for 2 weeks, then quit because someone else offered them raises. Its not just walmart, its dairy queen, mcdonalds, gas station attendants.
cobra-ak
Fan of the Krinkov
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 4:22:33 PM
Pics or you speak the baloney

The Eastern diamond rattlesnake was the symbol of the American Revolution. The Gadsden flag is a historic American flag with it's yellow field depicting a rattlesnake coiled and ready to strike and with the words underneath "DON'T TREAD ON ME".
501st
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 7:52:46 PM

USPcompact
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 8:03:53 PM
Originally Posted By Mill3niumThr33:
Wife and her family are from sidney. Her dad has offices in Sidney and Watford. He hires people, they work for 2 weeks, then quit because someone else offered them raises. Its not just walmart, its dairy queen, mcdonalds, gas station attendants.

Exactly. My FIL in Sidney just shut down his processing plant to do water wells and housing. He simply couldn't find people to work for what he could pay.
Originally Posted By Jeremy Clarkson:

You recently had Obama Barack on...no, it's the other way around, isn't it? If people are going to choose their name from Scrabble tiles...
DD977GM2
I am a Meat Popsicle
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 9:02:32 PM
Originally Posted By Chuy123:
$17 an hour is respectable money. I would rather work there than be on the Govt teet.

In Williston, that wage is almost comparable to a couple bucks above min wage in a major city.

It aint shit when floorhands are making $26-$28 starting and guarenteed 44 hours of OT a week.

So for that amount Id rather not waste my time and deal with shitheads working at Mcdon's YMMV
"There is always hope if there is lead in the air" xoxoTA

Navy SEAL Danny Phillip Dietz Jr. KIA - 6/28/05
watchwatch
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 9:05:39 PM
[Last Edit: 10/17/2012 9:05:45 PM by watchwatch]
Good luck living out of a travel trailer during a ND winter.
Seansworth
musha rain dum a doo dum a da
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 9:10:52 PM
There's a store in western Oklahoma that is offering a $10k sign on bonus for anyone willing to transfer there as an assistant manager.
Learning life's lessons the hard way.
Award: 24/365's Least Likely to Know How 24/365 Awards Work
CSM
school o mines, not Sgt.
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/17/2012 9:11:22 PM
Originally Posted By DD977GM2:
Originally Posted By Chuy123:

In Williston, that wage is almost comparable to a couple bucks above min wage in a major city.

It aint shit when floorhands are making $26-$28 starting and guarenteed 44 hours of OT a week.

So for that amount Id rather not waste my time and deal with shitheads working at Mcdon's YMMV

I agree. Make money on the rigs while the sun shines... cuz it ain't gonna last forever.
Broaden your mind. When all you know is the schoolyard... you treat everything like a schoolyard.