Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2012 11:39:00 AM EDT
They are cluttering up GD with their pitiful attempts to make us all lose hope and crawl in a hole and die?

This is making difficult to weed through all of them to find all the typical high quality GD entertainment.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#1]
One can hope.

I love that avatar picture, btw.  Looks like a beautiful place.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Their clumsy attempts at clandestine infiltration ARE quality entertainment.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#3]
You obviously haven't been in GD all that long.....
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#4]
They always do.

Sometimes... They come back...
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#5]
For the last goddamn time, what the fuck is a moby?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I just hope that after Obama goes down in flames that they will all collectively kill themselves, thus reducing the impact of the human race upon the fragile environment...
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, but it isn't hard to detect them anymore.  They need to step it up to give us more of a challenge.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, this.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Do they get paid to troll?  Cause I gotta tell ya, I'm getting a little low on primers and powder....

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They always do.

Sometimes... They come back...

mostly at night.......mostly.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A figment of someones paranoid imagination.
(see also: people who don't agree with me)
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A dick

1. moby
An insidious and specialized type of left-wing troll who visits blogs and impersonates a conservative for the purpose of either spreading false rumors intended to sow dissension among conservative voters, or who purposely posts inflammatory and offensive comments for the purpose of discrediting the blog in question.

The term is derived from the name of the liberal musician Moby, who famously suggested in February of 2004 that left-wing activists engage in this type of subterfuge: “For example, you can go on all the pro-life chat rooms and say you’re an outraged right-wing voter and that you know that George Bush drove an ex-girlfriend to an abortion clinic and paid for her to get an abortion. Then you go to an anti-immigration Web site chat room and ask, ‘What’s all this about George Bush proposing amnesty for illegal aliens?’”

The strategy has been frequently attempted on conservative blogs, but has not been nearly as effective as Moby envisioned, since false rumors are easily debunked by fact-checking minions, and cartoonishly extreme commenters often get immediately identified as mobys and banned.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

From the Urban Dictionary:

moby

An insidious and specialized type of left-wing
troll who visits blogs and impersonates a conservative for the purpose
of either spreading false rumors intended to sow dissension among
conservative voters, or who purposely posts inflammatory and offensive
comments for the purpose of discrediting the blog in question.

The term is derived from the name of the liberal musician Moby, who
famously suggested in February of 2004 that left-wing activists engage
in this type of subterfuge: "For example, you can go on all the pro-life
chat rooms and say you’re an outraged right-wing voter and that you
know that George Bush drove an ex-girlfriend to an abortion clinic and
paid for her to get an abortion. Then you go to an anti-immigration Web
site chat room and ask, ‘What’s all this about George Bush proposing
amnesty for illegal aliens?’”

The strategy has been frequently attempted on conservative blogs,
but has not been nearly as effective as Moby envisioned, since false
rumors are easily debunked by fact-checking minions, and cartoonishly
extreme commenters often get immediately identified as mobys and banned.

"While I agree that it is vital to monitor incoming international phone calls from terrorists, President Bush has gone too far.

By secret executive order, he has instructed the NSA to place hidden
cameras in the girls' locker rooms of Washington D.C. (Dirt bag City)
Islamic schools.  His desire to find out 'what is under all those
burqas' is beyond the pale.

Maybe the Dhimmicrats
are right.  If he would do this, what else is he capable of?  Let your
voice be heard!  I for one will never send the RNC money ever again.  
And, no, I am not a moby."

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#15]
If people actually do that shit, they need to get a fucking life. I wander over to DU when I have low blood pressure, but otherwise I keep to Arfcom. And Cracked.com.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Obama must still be feeling his asshole in his throat if this is the best they are coming up with...
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#17]
1.  They aren't going to go away - some of these guys have been here for almost a decade now.
2.  The majority of them are likely not infiltrators or mobies, but left-leaning gun owners who place something else as a higher priority than the Second Amendment - the "Gungeon" at DU idn't just a place for people trolling DU to hang out.  There are no shortage of liberals who are fine with "Guns for me but not for thee" or who just rationalize/downplay the threat to the Second Amendment offered by the Democrats.
3. There are a fair amount of young people who like guns but aren't well informed politically.
4.  Libertarians like guns; but don't necessarily fit in well with either major party policy-wise.  People's inability to understand or accept this accounts for probably 50% of all "moby" sightings here.

I imagine there are probably a few who enjoy trolling here; just as there are more than a few here who love to troll opposing sites; but I doubt they are anywhere near as common as the accusation is.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They are cluttering up GD with their pitiful attempts to make us all lose hope and crawl in a hole and die?

This is making difficult to weed through all of them to find all the typical high quality GD entertainment.  

Yeah I hope it ends soon.

FFS! There was a guy posting earlier that actually takes his kid to a daycare!  WTF is this!?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I doubt it lots of those "mobies" are life members.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A figment of someones paranoid imagination.
(see also: people who don't agree with me)

a mirror darkly

An insidious and specialized type of left-wing troll who visits blogs and impersonates a conservative for the purpose of either spreading false rumors intended to sow dissension among conservative voters, or who purposely posts inflammatory and offensive comments for the purpose of discrediting the blog in question.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Link to an example?

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If people actually do that shit, they need to get a fucking life. I wander over to DU when I have low blood pressure, but otherwise I keep to Arfcom. And Cracked.com.

I'm sure you've heard of David Axelrod.  He openly recruited people to do the "Moby" thing––provided training and everything.  It's real.  It's here.  The funny part is the denials.  Smart ones would STFU when called out.  

Is there anything someone can do, when accused of being a Moby, to prove otherwise?
Is there ANYTHING that would make you say, "well, maybe I just disagree with them, because they are DEFINITELY not a moby."?

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Speaking of GD clutter
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you've heard of David Axelrod.  He openly recruited people to do the "Moby" thing––provided training and everything.  It's real.  It's here.  The funny part is the denials.  Smart ones would STFU when called out.  

Is there anything someone can do, when accused of being a Moby, to prove otherwise?
Is there ANYTHING that would make you say, "well, maybe I just disagree with them, because they are DEFINITELY not a moby."?

Apparently not.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Hillary Clinton 2012

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently not.

Exactly.
This Moby crap is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll just call you a PaulBot

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you ask?

Well, you would hate to falsely accuse someone wouldn't you?
I think there MUST be a way to prove someone's "conservative/limited gov/gun loving" cred.
Don't you?

The Moby thing is thrown around waaaaay too often.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll just call you a PaulBot

fuck me!
resistance is futile
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
dupe

Moby
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top