Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been happy with the one I got from harbor freight.  I don't make my livelihood with it, I use it maybe a couple times a month.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Bought the Chinese version from Harbor Freight two years ago.

Have beat the crap out of it and it's still works as advertised.

Not the Machine Shop, heavy-duty one  but how many U-Joints are you gonna pound out?  Works for what the average guy needs it for.

Don't waste your $$$ on the best vice money can buy: You'll NEVER use it.

You could say the same thing about the average guy and AR components.

All you gotta do is need the quality once, and not have it, to negate any savings.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]

That second one looks nice!

Mine you can see here:

http://www.laruetactical.com/instructions/handguard/image029.jpg
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I lucked out and my GL-acquired M1031 came with a nice one on the tailgate.  Makes the tailgate quite heavy.  Eventually the tailgate will be bolstered, probably with better plywood and a steel top face.

Back to the vise.  IIRC, it is an Anchor brand, 4" wide jaws with a 6" opening.  It has the pipe jaws mounted lower.  When I first took delivery, the fixed jaw face was missing.  I found it in one of the compartments and managed to pull the fragments  of the 1/4"x 20 screws from the vise.  So it is now complete.

GL sells vises, just in lots of 4-6.  They usually go for 400 and up, not a bad price for great quality used units.

Military Surplus pick up truck?

Yes, sort of:

It has a 12 kW PTO-driven generator and 6 CFM air compressor in the back.

Eventually, the compressor (green thing) will be mounted above the generator (gray thing) so it will have more floor space.

8 lockable boxes on the sides too.  The front two boxes open to the interior compartment, the other 6 are secure from the interior compartment.

6.2 normally aspirated Detroit Diesel V8, 4.56:1 axles with TH400 transmission.  New Process 205 transfer case.  Detroit Locker in the rear differential, limited slip up front.  9009 actual miles when I took possession in June of this year.  Gets 18+ MPG but won't go much faster than 60 MPH now.  Eventually, I will slip in a 4L80 transmission which will help greatly on highway speeds.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I lucked out and my GL-acquired M1031 came with a nice one on the tailgate.  Makes the tailgate quite heavy.  Eventually the tailgate will be bolstered, probably with better plywood and a steel top face.

Back to the vise.  IIRC, it is an Anchor brand, 4" wide jaws with a 6" opening.  It has the pipe jaws mounted lower.  When I first took delivery, the fixed jaw face was missing.  I found it in one of the compartments and managed to pull the fragments  of the 1/4"x 20 screws from the vise.  So it is now complete.

GL sells vises, just in lots of 4-6.  They usually go for 400 and up, not a bad price for great quality used units.

Yes, sort of:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=42526

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=42611

Eventually, the compressor (green thing) will be mounted above the generator (gray thing) so it will have more floor space.

8 lockable boxes on the sides too.  The front two boxes open to the interior compartment, the other 6 are secure from the interior compartment.

6.2 normally aspirated Detroit Diesel V8, 4.56:1 axles with TH400 transmission.  New Process 205 transfer case.  Detroit Locker in the rear differential, limited slip up front.  9009 actual miles when I took possession in June of this year.  Gets 18+ MPG but won't go much faster than 60 MPH now.  Eventually, I will slip in a 4L80 transmission which will help greatly on highway speeds.

Neat.  If you don't mind, how much did that set you back?
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, sort of:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=42526

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=42611

Neat.  If you don't mind, how much did that set you back?

$4601, auction price.  GL tacks on another 10% and since it was in Wisconsin (Ft. McCoy)., another 5.6% sales tax.  We recovered it by driving up and towing it back.  2500  miles at 15 MPG so another $700 there.  Plus meals and lodging for three guys over 3 days.  Yes, non-stop from Central Texas to Central Wisconsin.  We stopped at the Iowa-Missouri border for a much needed sleep.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Whatever you buy, grease your lead screw and remember your vice is not a anvil or a press.

Well sure they are. If not then why are so many people breaking them? Next you will say i can't use my small flat heads to pry up manhole covers or as a cold chisel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, you should spend $500 on a vise, because a $50 "might" break.

Yes, you should.  It is better to gain from spending $500 than it is to lose from spending $50.  It is just too damn expensive to be cheap.

I've had a Wilton for 12 years, never a problem, it will out live me.

I guess this comes down to user application and experiences.  I bought my $59 vise in 2002, so that's been 10 years.  Still 100% and hasn't missed a beat.  My family owned and ran a machine shop all my life.  There - we used heavy duty models.  My $59 vise would not hold up in the shop.  But it absolutely does everything I have ever need it to do at home, and I use it monthly.  Mostly to hold AR uppers, but for some light welding, pounding on the anvil, bending shit, straightening shit, ball joints, u-joints, light press work.....   For me - a $500 vise would be a joke, and money wasted.

I also don't drive a Mercedes, nor are all my tools Snap On.

I've worked in a few shops owned by cheap fuckers.  The reason I always buy the best is because I've seen people get hurt due to mechanical failures.  Money spent is one thing but when someone gets hurt because you're cheap is another.  I'd feel damn guilty if a guy got hurt because I wanted to save a few bucks.

No dollar saved will ever be appreciated when there is a crushed limb or sliced skin.  A few weeks ago I sliced myself good being a retard, but I only have myself to blame, not my tools.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top