User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I own page 13 of a great thread
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
where are the dyno pull vids and numbers?? surely the snow is flying in Maine by now. I hope the monte is not already in hibernation for the winter leaving us hanging until April
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
where are the dyno pull vids and numbers?? surely the snow is flying in Maine by now. I hope the monte is not already in hibernation for the winter leaving us hanging until April
View Quote

No dyno vids yet.  The snow actually wrecked my dyno day.  Believe it or not we got an early season storm that dumped 14 inches of the white stuff on us on the very day she was supposed to go spin the rollers.     Dyno time is rescheduled now for early December, however if we have another storm that hammers us the car is done.  But if Mother Nature can hold off I will have hard numbers in a couple of weeks.

I am still using, and enjoying, the car on a regular basis even though it is cold as shit here now.  I can't bring myself to put it away.

For most of the street use I keep the boost to 6-7 lbs and it is still unbelievably fast.  It easily will make both rear tires bark hard on a 70+ MPH 2-3 shift on the interstate.  This thing is so much fun it should be illegal.

I think the best thing is that it looks like (and is) such a cobbled together POS and yet it absolutely FLIES.  I have had my share of fast cars and this one would smoke every single one of them.  

I got the BOV fixed by opening it up and discovering two absolutely huge springs in it.  I took one out and now it works perfectly, it gives a very satisfying WHOOSH when the throttle is closed under boost.

The Meth kit is installed and works really well.  It is set to come on at 6 PSI and the huge drop in IAT is evident in the datalogs.  This thing works!  I am running a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and water.  Straight methanol is not available around here that I can find.  But this mix is working quite well!

Mounted in the trunk and looking ghetto!  

The yellow arrow shows the meth injection nozzle plumbed into the intake pipe, the green arrow show the IAT sensor which is easily registering a 50 degree or more drop in temp as opposed to no water/alcohol injection.  In addition the mix gives a huge octane boost.  It was money well spent.

And finally I put a very low tech inline boost controller in.  I took a wild guess on where to set it first time and the datalog showed 18 lbs before one of the charge pipes popped off.    I'm certainly not tuned for 18 lbs of boost but holy shit did it feel awesome for the few seconds it was up there.  I now have it figured out to "X" clicks will equal "Y" pounds of boost.  I had it out the other day at 14 lbs for a while and my God, it is amazing.  No trouble to leave several hundred feet of twin black marks on the interstate at 75 MPH or higher.  What a beast!

Dyno sheets and video to come as an early Christmas present to me.  I am guessing that at 14 lbs I should see and quite possibly eclipse that 600 RWHP mark I talked about a long time ago.  My butt dyno is telling me it is WELL over 500.  Stay tuned!

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am adding a procharger to my setup, I am curious how you have your maps setup if you don't mind sharing!

It Sounds BAD ASS!
View Quote

Thank you!  And honestly, the video can't do it justice, the car is LOUD and sounds awesome.  The howl from that turbo is killer.

I am more than happy to share my maps.  Keep in mind these are still fairly rough.  But they work.  The fuel map obviously needs a fair amount of smoothing but I am using the AutoTune feature so it is only making changes in the area of the map I am driving in.  AutoTune kicks ass in comparison to MegaSquirt tuning of years past!

The procharger should rock on your car.  Pics please!

VE Table:

Ignition Table:

Let me know if you have any questions.  I'm no expert but I am keeping this heap running and happy right now.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Dyno time is scheduled.

Monday December 8 we will finally see what this thing puts down.

Stay tuned.......................
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dyno time is scheduled.

Monday December 8 we will finally see what this thing puts down.

Stay tuned.......................
View Quote

Lotion and tissue are at the ready!
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Tagged

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I am fucking jealous. That's a sweet, sweet car OP.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am fucking jealous. That's a sweet, sweet car OP.
View Quote

Thanks man!  Don't be too gracious though, in person it is kind of gnarly, haha!

Sadly I have been foiled again.  

NO DYNO RUN TODAY.  

Last Friday afternoon I got home from work and an awesome little piece of hardware was in the mail.  It was a circuit designed to help clean up the ignition signal and solve some of the starting issues I have been having.  I told myself to leave it alone until after Monday so I could make a dyno run.  Honestly the car has been running incredibly well, the roads and interstate around my house are absolutely littered with dark pairs of burnout stripes, I didn't need to do this mod but I couldn't resist.  Sometimes we should listen to that little voice inside our head offering sound advice.

So I yanked the MS out of the car and did the required soldering and such to fit the new signal conditioner.  Here you can see it at the tip of the red arrow in the MS case.

I went back out to the garage and put it in the car.  I hooked up the scope, cranked the engine, and had what looked like a very clean and crisp signal.  This was going to be a huge improvement!

Then I my haste I somehow shorted something.     The next time I cranked the engine some of the fabled "magic smoke" escaped from the area of the MS and things stopped working.  To make matters worse it was already late in the evening and this past weekend was drill!  There was no chance of pulling an all nighter to find out what happened.  Finally on Sunday after drill I started digging, the MS was fine but my relay board was seriously burned.  You can see the carnage at the tip of the red arrow (I was really enjoying the red arrows in Photoshop).

So the car is now officially done for 2014.  In all honesty I probably would have cancelled my dyno appointment anyway.  We got slammed with horrible weather the last couple of days and there is salt, sand, and ice freakin' everywhere.  No sense is making this heap any rustier!

I will update here and there over the Winter as I do more work.  I am going to ditch the burned relay board and do something else entirely.  I have a vision in my head but it will be a while coming together.  I will also be putting on new wheels and tires when I finally decide what I want.

Thanks for following along for ANOTHER year.  More coming in the Spring!  

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#14]
That sucks.

I think something like the Cragar soft 8's or the D window version would look perfect on that. Not sure if they make them in your bolt pattern though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#15]

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now you tell me.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow I can't believe I just found this thread. A good buddy of mine has a built Monte Carlo that is built from the ground up as a track car. It's his obsession.

I just forwarded him a link here.

And tag...

Keep the updates coming when you get the time
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Last Friday afternoon I got home from work and an awesome little piece of hardware was in the mail.  It was a circuit designed to help clean up the ignition signal and solve some of the starting issues I have been having.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Last Friday afternoon I got home from work and an awesome little piece of hardware was in the mail.  It was a circuit designed to help clean up the ignition signal and solve some of the starting issues I have been having.

What kind of ignition and starting issues were you experiencing?

Quoted:
I am going to ditch the burned relay board and do something else entirely.

I think the amount of piggybacking that MS systems require would drive me absolutely nuts. I'm not bashing - I know people who run MS love it. You've got more patience than I do though.

Sorry about your setback. That really sucks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Now you tell me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you tell me.  

Voltaire said it best:

"Dans ses écrits, un sage Italien
Dit que le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."

(In his writings, a wise Italian
says that the better is the enemy of the good)

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#20]
PJF , you are one of those rare individuals that actually has finished what they started.

I've seen many project cars that are still sitting in the driveway after many years.   Propped up on everything from jack stands to milk crates.

Good looking car you got there.

Kudos.

gd
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think the amount of piggybacking that MS systems require would drive me absolutely nuts. I'm not bashing - I know people who run MS love it. You've got more patience than I do though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I am going to ditch the burned relay board and do something else entirely.

The ignition issues revolve around the on board signal conditioner the MS has.  There are two trim pots that allow the user to adjust the zero crossing and the hysteresis on the VR input to help clean it up so the MS can make sense of it.  With the pots set for a quick start the MS loses sync above idle speeds and the car runs like dog shit.  With the pots set for good strong sync to 6000+ RPM the car starts hard.  This digital signal conditioner is supposed to cure that.  I never made it far enough to find out.

As far as the piggybacking goes I kind of agree.  But for the money the MS is pretty hard to beat.  Sometimes it is a little TOO user focused though.  It could definitely stand a little more support besides just what the user community provides.

Quoted:
PJF , you are one of those rare individuals that actually has finished what they started.

I've seen many project cars that are still sitting in the driveway after many years.   Propped up on everything from jack stands to milk crates.

Good looking car you got there.

Kudos.

gd

I was pretty nervous this thing would end up another jack stand ghost when I pulled the rear end and transmission out this Spring. But in the end I put my head down and thrashed on it and got it done.  Now it is dead once again!  Let's hope she can breath fire next year and make the dyno cringe when it sees this pile coming.

Quoted:
That sucks about the relay board! I junked mine after having problems with the little connectors. Ended up making my own relay bank inside the car. Much more robust!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DcL_IAEW6pc/VFGaynmzqoI/AAAAAAAABeE/CfH-D7Lg31k/w1547-h875-no/IMAG0302.jpg

Your pictures bring an air of freshness to my stinky cobbled togetherness. LOL  That install looks AWESOME!

I'll take some inspiration from you and see what I can come up with.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#23]
This thread is really going to cost me some money...
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:00:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I went ahead and did the entire car, and tucked the wires in the engine bay as well.. Every single wire is in place in this picture except the washer bottle pump.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4CS7YGE8Q2E/VFGaynqRgHI/AAAAAAAABi8/ZqgDvgMjD5g/w1547-h875-no/IMAG0306.jpg
View Quote

Wow, that looks super clean. Nice work.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Any progress?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Any progress?
View Quote

Well not much to be honest.But some stuff is in the works.

Here is a pic of my front yard from about an hour ago.  Winter is in full swing here!  Notice the snow sled and sled trailer.  Life is good!  Also notice it looks like the snow is going up, weird.

The car is spending this winter inside!  I am redoing the hotside entirely.  I am dropping pipe size from 2.5" to 2".  It is easier to package and will still flow more than enough to meet my goals.  I am also toying with the idea of swapping turbos to something a little more modern.  But that is a maybe.  If you look closely in the drivers side wheel well you can see a lot of built up rubber haha.  Those tire are pretty well bald now.  

I bought myself a very nice Christmas present.  A TIG welder!  I am in the process of teaching myself to TIG now and it is sooooo much fun.  This will be what I weld up my new hotside with when I start building it.  I need a bunch more practice first though.  

But in all honesty the car is on the back burner now.  It is ice fishing season here!!!!!  

Last Friday was my first chance to get out so here are some gratuitous pics from that trip.

I always take pics of my vehicles on my adventures.  Sometimes I take more pics of the vehicle than of the adventure itself.    Here is my GMC truck after riding 5 miles of unplowed logging roads to get to the secret fishing hole.  I don't have any BFG A/T's on this thing yet and so it was a hairy five mile ride.  But we made it and here is my truck parked at a wide spot in the road close to the fishing spot.  It was another quarter mile walk in to the pond from here.  

After the long trek in we are all set up.  My buddies face doesn't always look like this, just when he wants to be incognito.

And finally after a long day a couple of fat and healthy Lake Trout are coming home with me.

Stay tuned.  When my snowmobiling and ice fishing craze wears off I wil be back at it.  But that will probably be a few weeks!  

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey OP, still terrorizing the local fish population?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hey OP, still terrorizing the local fish population?
View Quote

Thanks for the continued interest!   Terrorizing would hardly be my word of choice!

This will be a 100% car free update. So for those that don't care for ice fishing you can quit here.  

Two weeks ago was my big trip for my close friends and I to fish at my camp on magnificent Schoodic Lake here in Maine.

My camp is only accesible by snowsled at this time of year.  Here is my truck and trailer with my snowsled at the town landing just before I headed up the lake for the miles long journey into my camp.  Notice my sled had a dogsled and jet sled attached to it.  Getting into my camp at this time of year can only be considered an act of love, or idiocy!  

I arrived safely at camp only to find a HUGE pressure ridge directly in front of the camp extending several hundred feet in both directions.  After some exploring I found a place to cross and accessed the network of camp roads, finally getting to my camp.  The extension ladder I leave there at camp made the perfect method of walking across to get to the traps out on the lake.  A couple of us crossed the open water on our sleds but no one was crazy about getting their track all slushy and frozen so the ladder was the best solution.  Those of you that ice fish will notice two Heritage Laker traps on the camp side of the ridge.

The view from the lake side of the ridge.  Traps are set and it is COLD.  On this day we had a temp of 6 degrees and steady 40 MPH winds.  Crappy fishing weather to be sure.  My camp is the red one in the middle.  Heaven on Earth.  

This same trap got tripped again and again, we never hooked the little bugger stealing the smelts!

Thankfully we had a PS3 and some MW3 to keep up occupied.  Is this the life or what?  

And finally the last pic.  We didn't catch even one fish on this trip!  The fishing was just awful!!!  But I have some great friends and we ate, and drank, and fished, and just had an awesome time together.  And on the day we had to leave we awoke to this sunrise, the pressure ridge was frozen over, the wind was gone, and it looked like a perfect fishing day!  But that is fishing I guess.  It still beat the shit out of working for a few days.

Stay tuned, the next update will have a lot more car stuff I promise.  This year is gonna be a big one.  Dyno run, strip times, exploded parts.  I really think 2015 is going to have it all, so hang on!!!  Sadly as I type there is ANOTHER storm bearing down us with a predicted 18-24" of snow.  Enough already!

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I used to work for these guys. They treated me well. In 40 mph winds you really should be bringing some indoors onto the lake with you.
http://www.shappell.com/home.html
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I have gone on a parts buying spree lately!

Tonight the first of the stuff started showing up.  So without a wall of text onto the pics.

What is this?  Traction you say?

Even with the single digit temps we are having these things have the consistency of a pencil eraser.  She should hook a lot better this year.  No more 500 foot long black marks on the interstate when I floor it.

And for cosmetic appearance I bought a set of GM Rallye wheels and disk brake center caps.  I'm not going to run any trim rings.

The rears are 15 X 8 and the fronts are 15 X 7.  These rears should spread that drag radial out nice and wide!

Popped onto the car.  I am going to paint the wheels gloss black, with the chrome center cap it should look great!

One of the drag radials mocked into place.  It looks pretty sick to me.  

Things are going to start moving again.  I have bunch more stuff on the way to include all new piping for the exhaust hotside.  I have gotten almost all of the MegaSquirt rewired and it is coming out awesome.  It won't be too long before I finally get that dyno run in.  And not long after that until a drag strip run.

As always there is more coming!
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OK this is going to be a little update, not very exciting so I apologize in advance.

I have been driving the HELL out of this thing.  It has been very reliable and a ton of fun.

I had to dial the boost back, 10-12 lbs was just WAY to much on these little skinny junk tires.  I currently see between 5-7 lbs and the car is still scary fast.  It has gotten quite cool here in Maine and cold tires and cold roads make traction just impossible.

But I thought you guys might enjoy seeing how this thing is outfitted when I am out and about.

In the trunk I carry all this crap, knock on wood I haven't needed any of it yet!  The gas can has two gallons of 93 octane in it, my gas gauge doesn't work and I don't wanna be left stranded when I underestimate how much fuel I have used!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/TrunkToolKit_zps93dcf399.jpg

The office.  Man the flash brings out every speck of dirt, the interior doesn't look this shitty I swear.  Notice the Garmin GPS for a speed-o and the ever present laptop.  I don't leave home without it.  There is always some type of tweaking to be done to the tune!!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/DrivingInterior_zpsdfc92951.jpg

I have a lot of time in the old girl lately.  She just keeps getting better and better.  The 3" pipe and race bullet make an awful lot of noise but I love it!  The car has been turning a lot of heads everywhere I go.  

I ordered a blow off valve adapter and it showed up tonight.  It is a pretty nice piece.  I bolted this Chinese Greddy knock off blow off valve onto it that I have had for years.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/BOVandPipe_zpsa87fd490.jpg

Then I installed it in the car.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/BOVInstalled_zpse36037a5.jpg

Turns out the cheap Chinese piece of shit is well, a piece of shit.  It just has WAY too much spring tension and even with vacuum assist it barely opens no matter how lightly I set it.  I thought it felt weird when I was playing with it the other night but I thought it was worth a shot.  So time for a good quality blow off valve I guess!

As I was typing up this update the awesome CoolingMist methanol injection kit showed up!  Now I can really crank the boost to it without fear of hurting the motor.  Hurting myself is another story entirely.  Installation and photos to come in the next couple of days.  This is a drill weekend so not much will happen with the car.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/MethKit_zpsfd87a02a.jpg

Big news before we get to the video, dyno time is happening next Wednesday.  I will dial in as much boost as I feel the motor will handle when I get there.  Let's hope for at least 500 RWHP.  I honestly think it will be quite a bit more than that, but I don't want to make any predictions yet!

And finally a short driving video from tonight.  I took it with my cell and it makes the Air/Fuel gauge roll and look weird.  But the rest of the video is good, especially the audio, turn up your speakers!  The turbo is easily as loud as the exhaust at only about 6 or so lbs of boost and makes noises that are really enjoyable, especially while playing with the loud pedal!  The car is just getting the power down so much better with the 4L80E.  It is a beast!  

More to come.

http://youtu.be/rbMAPqc8aQE
View Quote

I had a similar trunk kit in my 4-4-2, I had an extra starter, alternator and cherry bombs in mine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Damn dude, keep the updates coming. I have been following from day 1 and cannot wait until the dyno results.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Awesome thread.

How's the TIG working out? I have the same Mig you do, and am looking to go TIG this year.

Also, are you an avionics guy?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Awesome thread.

How's the TIG working out? I have the same Mig you do, and am looking to go TIG this year.

View Quote

The TIG is working out awesome! I am getting better every time I sit down and weld with it.  I have learned a lot though and there is definitely a place for MIG and TIG.  I am psyched that I have both at my disposal now.  

And yes, I am an avionics guy.  To be more accurate I am a retired avionics guy.    But I have done my fair share of time shooting wires, changing CVR's, doing compass swings, pumping up pitot static lines, etc. etc.etc.  I can't deny that I miss it an awful lot.

I took all my new goodies to the tire shop this morning and had everything swapped over.  When I got home I stuck one of the rears on and now I am not sure I want to paint the wheels black.  The silver is such an awesome match for the factory Monte color that I think it looks really great.  The disk brake style center caps I bought look awesome.  And the drag radials fill up the wheel well perfectly and look awesome.  

What do you guys think?  Leave the wheels silver or paint them black?

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Either one would look good.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I think they looks good as is, I wouldn't paint them black.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#40]

I need a picture further back and side profile.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is kind of hard to do right now.  This is about the best I can show you.  Once the car is running again I will get it out in the driveway for a better view.  But here is how it sits right now.  I think it is rather sharp personally.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm going to have to go against the grain and say the wheels don't look right at all.

That style doesn't belong on anything from the 80's.

At this point your only option is to hide them behind billowing clouds of tire smoke.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The TIG is working out awesome! I am getting better every time I sit down and weld with it.  I have learned a lot though and there is definitely a place for MIG and TIG.  I am psyched that I have both at my disposal now.  

And yes, I am an avionics guy.  To be more accurate I am a retired avionics guy.    But I have done my fair share of time shooting wires, changing CVR's, doing compass swings, pumping up pitot static lines, etc. etc.etc.  I can't deny that I miss it an awful lot.
I took all my new goodies to the tire shop this morning and had everything swapped over.  When I got home I stuck one of the rears on and now I am not sure I want to paint the wheels black.  The silver is such an awesome match for the factory Monte color that I think it looks really great.  The disk brake style center caps I bought look awesome.  And the drag radials fill up the wheel well perfectly and look awesome.  

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/dragradialmounted_zps64d2bf5d.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome thread.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/dragradialmounted_zps64d2bf5d.jpg

Well if you feel like coming to SW FL, I always have room for good experienced avionics techs.

Just imagine - tinker all year around, none of that white stuff on the ground. Coldest day this winter was yesterday, it was 34F out. Today high 70s again.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That is kind of hard to do right now.  This is about the best I can show you.  Once the car is running again I will get it out in the driveway for a better view.  But here is how it sits right now.  I think it is rather sharp personally.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/rallyewheelsinstalled_zpsa3d6c615.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/rallyewheelsinstalled_zpsa3d6c615.jpg

I prefer the rims in your avatar myself. Those rims always look great on the cars they came on IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks in part to this thread I finally got around to getting my 1969 Firebird running again.  The battery croaked 5-6 years ago and my lazy ass never got around to replacing it leaving me of course with a mess to fix now.  This video is immediately after cranking the car for the first time after those years in 25 degree temps and the carb just at my rebuild settings.  No tuning has been done yet.  It is such a huge relief to have this motor running again especially since it only has maybe 200 miles on it, many 1/8 mile at a time.  I was afraid it might have seized up after all this time.  The rattle under the hood is the power steering bracket, not the motor.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like them as is.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks in part to this thread I finally got around to getting my 1969 Firebird running again.  The battery croaked 5-6 years ago and my lazy ass never got around to replacing it leaving me of course with a mess to fix now.  This video is immediately after cranking the car for the first time after those years in 25 degree temps and the carb just at my rebuild settings.  No tuning has been done yet.  It is such a huge relief to have this motor running again especially since it only has maybe 200 miles on it, many 1/8 mile at a time.  I was afraid it might have seized up after all this time.  The rattle under the hood is the power steering bracket, not the motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38HCTiYtvXw
View Quote

Very nice, great work bringing her back to life.  Motor sounds very stout!  High compression and big overlap cams just go together so well.  Keep up the good work.    1969 Firebirds are rare indeed so it is nice to see another one ready to breath fire again.

Thank you to everyone for the honest input on the wheels.  They are staying as is as far as paint color goes.   Even for you guys that don't like them so much you have to admit it is an improvement over mismatched wheels!  And with the previous 6 inch wide rear wheels on crappy street tires the car was just stupidly dangerous!  These drag radials should help out my traction issues exponentially.  It was always kind of shocking to be blasting along at 70 MPH, floor it, have the rear skate all over the road on its way to 100 MPH+ and then look in the mirror and see a blue cloud hanging over the interstate and a pair of black 11's rolling out behind the car!  I don't think I will miss that.  

More parts from the friendly UPS guy were waiting at the door today.

An all new hotside exhaust!  Well the parts anyway, I have a bunch of idea swirling around in my head right now so I'm just going to leave it all on the floor and stare at it for a few days.  Then I can start cutting and welding, this will all be tigged together, I can't wait to get started!

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#49]
vroom, vroom baby.

i have been following this since the start.

i cant wait to see what else you are going to come up with next

what about ceramic coating the pipes and keeping the heat down?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
vroom, vroom baby.

i have been following this since the start.

i cant wait to see what else you are going to come up with next

what about ceramic coating the pipes and keeping the heat down?
View Quote

I have thought of ceramic coating but it kind of goes against the budget theme of my shitbox.  I am going to put a turbo blanket on though, but mostly to hide up the rusty turbine housing!

A little bit of work has been going on.

I brought home this pile of steel today from the steel shop.  What could I need all this for?

My awesome wife was nice enough to help capture this action shot of me welding it all together.  Old flight suits make great coveralls by the way!

Taking shape but it still looks like a mess!

Finally, the finished product.  A stand up height, wheeled, all metal welding bench!  After who knows how long of welding on the floor I had a crazy idea to build myself a more comfortable work area to weld at.  At work recently I sketched this out on a piece of paper, then I ordered the casters from Amazon. Today I called the steel shop and had them cut everything to size, I stopped in there after work and picked everything up, brought it home, and welded it together tonight.  Not the greatest but not bad either.  It is tiny to fit in my cramped garage.  It will be a huge improvement from kneeling on a concrete floor.  I can't wait to put my new hotside together on this.

I got these awesome Weather Pack connectors to use on the MegaSquirt wiring harness I am redoing.

And I wired them into the newly redesigned harness.  This does away with the relay board that burned up.  Now the large silver connector plugs straight into the MS and the external power, Tach signal, O2 signal, grounds, and injector +12V will all go through these connectors.  Much better solution than the relay board I had.  I do have to make some type of relay arrangement but the wire connectors on the MS one just really suck.  So good riddance to that thing!

Things are gonna start moving now.  It is almost time to wake the old girl up and go make some noise.

More to come soon.

Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top