Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

He was in wheel chair.
He has one arm.
He has one leg.

HE REPRESENTS ZERO THREAT.

ANYONE WHO USES OR SUPPORTS USING DEADLY FORCE IS A FUCKING PUSSY.

END OF FUCKING DISCUSSION.

That's just fucking stupid. When he's a foot away and trying to stab you, he's as much of a threat as anyone else who has a knife or whatever in one hand(you know, since stabbing someone only requires one hand to begin with).

He represents zero threat as long as he can't reach you. When he can, that's over.

Really?

Really. Do you think that you're less stabbed if the guy that does it only has one arm and hits you from a wheelchair? Like I said, when he can reach you and you can't get away, he can stab you just as well as anyone else. What, do you think that losing an arm and a leg turns a guy into a docile kitten that is no longer capable of holding a knife?

He's in a wheel chair. I'm pretty sure that he's not that quick.

My previous post stands.

Nobody's claiming that the guy chased them down. He just blocked the cop into a tight space and started trying to stab him.

Your previous post is still fucking stupid.

You're wrong.

No, you're wrong. And ya' smell funny too.

Fuck.

Had to go there, didn't you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Suicide by cop.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

He was in wheel chair.
He has one arm.
He has one leg.

That's just fucking stupid. When he's a foot away and trying to stab you, he's as much of a threat as anyone else who has a knife or whatever in one hand(you know, since stabbing someone only requires one hand to begin with).

He represents zero threat as long as he can't reach you. When he can, that's over.

Really?

Really. Do you think that you're less stabbed if the guy that does it only has one arm and hits you from a wheelchair? Like I said, when he can reach you and you can't get away, he can stab you just as well as anyone else. What, do you think that losing an arm and a leg turns a guy into a docile kitten that is no longer capable of holding a knife?

No matter how many times someone says knife, it was a pen.

And then there's this.

And that's only relevent if the cop knew it was a pen(and even then only if he isn't making a very good effort at stabbing the other guy). Otherwise, it's an unknown sharp object that the guy's trying to stab someone with. Pen, screwdriver, exacto knife, hatpin, scribe, or whatever. It's no different than those dumbasses that get killed when they point airsoft guns at the cops.  

Could be poked at with a pen I accept, unknown object fine, calling it a knife when not even the police spokesperson said knife is silly.  I still think it's odd he was within a foot of the officer(s) and neither could tell what the object was.  From a distance sure, that close just sounds weird to me.  If they said hey we thought it was a pen gun, no problem.  I think there's a bit of a difference in instances with a toy that looks like a gun and what happened here.

I have this image in my mind of a crazy looking guy doing the theme from "Jaws" as he maneuvered his chair to corner the officer.

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He couldn't pepper spray the cripple?
Or just get away from him. I mean how fast can a guy with one arm and one leg go in a wheelchair?
"It was close quarters in the area of the house," Silva said. "The officer was forced into an area where he had no way to get out."
I've dealt with wheelchair psych patients in the hospital; they can be surprisingly fast.  Possibly fast enough to get to the officer and depending on exactly what was a 'pen'; could be a good shoot. Going to give the officer the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are done.

How fast could he move with one F'ing arm... While holding a pen in his hand?

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was in wheel chair.

He has one arm.

He has one leg.

Really?

He's in a wheel chair. I'm pretty sure that he's not that quick.

My previous post stands.

Nobody's claiming that the guy chased them down. He just blocked the cop into a tight space and started trying to stab him.

Your previous post is still fucking stupid.

You're wrong.

No, you're wrong. And ya' smell funny too.
Bullshit blind defense of police is part of the reason that actual good shoots are doubted.

This whole thing really sounds like a joke. You even went as far as to say that people with no arms in a wheel chair are fast. If someone was so skilled with their legs and feet as to burn rubber in their wheel chair, why wouldn't they simply walk/run instead?

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This whole thing really sounds like a joke. You even went as far as to say that people with no arms in a wheel chair are fast. If someone was so skilled with their legs and feet as to burn rubber in their wheel chair, why wouldn't they simply walk/run instead?

I never said anything like that. I said that a guy with one arm and one leg can move a wheelchair without using his arm. Some of them can do it somewhat quickly, but that doesn't matter in this case. The one leg thing would keep most of them from walking or running, but there are plenty of amputees that get prosthetics and do that too.

Tell me how someone with 1 leg and 1 arm can move a wheel chair that isn't at a snails pace and not in a circle.

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#10]
So many questions left unanswered...

This is the part of the article I find most interesting -

"It was close quarters in the area of the house," Silva said. "The officer was forced into an area where he had no way to get out."

I could make all kinds of assumptions based upon that statement.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bet the guy in the wheel chair would give an arm and a leg to rethink his actions.  

On a serious note, why didn't the other cop just taze him?

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or just get away from him. I mean how fast can a guy with one arm and one leg go in a wheelchair?
I've dealt with wheelchair psych patients in the hospital; they can be surprisingly fast.  Possibly fast enough to get to the officer and depending on exactly what was a 'pen'; could be a good shoot. Going to give the officer the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are done.

You may have a point.

He might have been on a slope.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree he could do the Flintstone, but i've seen that plenty and I wouldn't call it a fast and manuverable means of getting around. I'm just not convinced two grown men can't handle one guy with one arm and one leg without killing him. Then again maybe they just didn't want to bother trying to figure out how to handcuff a one armed man.

You can close a small gap with it pretty quickly. The odds are pretty well stacked in favor of the two cops when it comes to fighting a guy like this, but the appropriate thing to do when you think a guy is about to stab you or someone else is to shoot him.

Couldn't the cops just get on the side that doesn't have working appendages?

I know!  Maybe get UPHILL.  Or take two steps back, or knock the wheelchair over.

Fuck, I'd be police chief of that podunk town.

ETA:  maybe put a foot under the wheel and lean, real far like back.

Or a stick.

Or maybe I'd just forgo thinking all together and shoot the problem away.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Those motorized ones can go pretty fast.

I don't know if it's because I'm drunk or tired, but these posts are freakin funny!
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#15]
who ever thinks that a man in a wheelchair with 1 arm and 1 leg is not a threat, in closed quaters.. how about you tie me up in a chair and only give me 1 leg in 1 hand and a pencil or a pen, get you cornered or against a wall an see if I don't f*** you up

Now imagine I am crazy and/or on meds
I
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:47:14 AM EDT
[#16]
How did he control the chair? With one arm, it was either move the chair or weild the knife.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've dealt with wheelchair psych patients in the hospital; they can be surprisingly fast. Possibly fast enough to get to the officer and depending on exactly what was a 'pen'; could be a good shoot. Going to give the officer the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are done.

He had ONE FUCKING ARM ! He could probably go in circles really fucking fast though

How many arms do you think you need to stab someone?

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 1:20:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

who ever thinks that a man in a wheelchair with 1 arm and 1 leg is not a threat, in closed quaters.. how about you tie me up in a chair and only give me 1 leg in 1 hand and a pencil or a pen, get you cornered or against a wall an see if I don't f*** you up

I

How about we do all of that except let you corner us up against a wall?  That's the part that keeps getting in my way (so to speak)  How does one guy corner two guys?  Oh, wait.  He only cornered one.  Leaving the other free to shoot him.  

I wasn't there, so I can't comment on any particulars, but I think I can say with some certainty that anybody stupid enough to let a one armed one legged guy in a wheelchair corner him–– with or without a weapon–– should probably not be in a job that requires him to control the public in any way.

Any guy who's so traumatized by having had to shoot a guy with a knife that any shiny, slender object he sees "becomes" that knife and he's more tempted than normal to shoot the person with the shiny, needs to be sitting behind a desk, not the wheel of a patrol car.

And any law enforcement officer who's number one job is to go home at night can suck––-  find another job.  It's a rough, dangerous, ofttimes thankless job, and it can mess up a person's mind over time.  But the job is and will remain to protect and to serve.  You enforce the laws and defend the citizens.  If those requirements get in the way of your going home at night, so be it.  THAT is the line of thinking that's caused generations of Americans to revere our officers, not, "fuck you all, I'm going home tonight!"

I'm having a real hard time figuring out how this can be a good shoot.  Unless the story so far is grievously incorrect in major points, the comedy of errors did not begin with the pulling of the trigger.  That situation was FUBAR before the officer sent the command to the trigger finger, and as the controlling authorities on site, the fucking lays at the feet of the HPD officers who responded.  Forget taking the badge for shooting a one armed one legged guy in a wheelchair.  Perhaps the badge should be yanked for letting yourself get into the position where you felt it necessary to shoot the one legged and etc...

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 3:55:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I

If you're anywhere near southern Louisiana, I'll take you up on that boast.  We'll even film it so all of Arfcom can see just how dangerous a one armed guy in a wheelchair armed with a pen can be.  I promise to try not to laugh too hard as I beat you senseless with a nightstick.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 3:58:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I want to know why we are giving our children dangerous weapons like pencils and pens to use at school and why schools allows such dangerous items at all. Even the lowly paper we allow them has been known to dice and slice, causing people pain and blood loss.

Oh who will think of the children!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 4:17:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I

I'd be playing pinata with your head. Maybe.   Or the wrist  and hand holding  assault pen.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#21]
He was trying to get a Leg up on the Cop.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Was it contempt of cop that he got shot for? If the LEO pulled his gun and the guy kept advancing then Im ok with it. Could it have been done better? Probably. Maybe he had tunnel vision. I wonder if incidents like these are more about sending a message then actually getting home safe. They are sending multiple examples to people, if you think you can threaten a cop think again. Long term this is an effective strategy. The US is much less violent today than in the 60 - 80's. Could things like this be part of that reason? Maybe.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Was it contempt of cop that he got shot for? If the LEO pulled his gun and the guy kept advancing then Im ok with it. Could it have been done better? Probably. Maybe he had tunnel vision. I wonder if incidents like these are more about sending a message then actually getting home safe. They are sending multiple examples to people, if you think you can threaten a cop think again. Long term this is an effective strategy. The US is much less violent today than in the 60 - 80's. Could things like this be part of that reason? Maybe.

You're kidding- right?
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Should have stick in a spoke'd him.

At least the shooting was ADA accessible.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top