Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2012 1:30:24 PM EDT
I am on my desktop computer, but take my laptop (yeah, I know, get a phone that has internet) won't load Internet Explorer.   Forget what the error code was, but off the top of your head, what would be the easiest way to fix it?

I actually run Vista on both my laptop and decktop.  

I tried deleting the Internet Explorer Files on my laptop, and was gonna load the files from my desktop in their place, but the laptop won't let me erase those files.

Damn, I wish my computer savy daughter wasn't off to Navy Boot Camp to help meeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't use IE. That's your main problem. Firefox, Chrome, etc. are much, much better in every way.

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Use Firefox, problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Don't use IE. That's your main problem. Firefox, Chrome, etc. are much, much better in every way.  

If I can't access the internet with the laptop, how do I get those are browsers to load?

vmax84

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Use Firefox, problem solved.

Yes, be happy this incident has occurred.

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I can't access the internet with the laptop, how do I get those are browsers to load?

vmax84

Use another computer, copy install to USB stick.

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a new laptop.  Explorer is the best web browser out there.  Kill yourself if you can't afford one.

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am on my desktop computer, but take my laptop (yeah, I know, get a phone that has internet) won't load Internet Explorer.   Forget what the error code was, but off the top of your head, what would be the easiest way to fix it?

I tried deleting the Internet Explorer Files on my laptop, and was gonna load the files from my desktop in their place, but the laptop won't let me erase those files.

Damn, I wish my computer savy daughter wasn't off to Navy Boot Camp to help meeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

vmax84

Not for nuthin' but the highlighted text above, as an IT guy, makes me wish horrible, horrible things would happen to you, daily. Your question is akin to "I was given pertinent information to significantly increase my chances of accomplishing something very important to me but I completely disregarded it, what now?"
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

vmax84

Download the program file(s) to your desktop, put them on a flash drive, move them to laptop.

Or you could try system restore on your laptop, if IE works afterwards you could just download firefox, etc. directly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

vmax84

This.

Do people seriously still use IE?

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

vmax84

Not for nuthin' but the highlighted text above, as an IT guy, makes me wish horrible, horrible things would happen to you, daily. Your question is akin to "I was given pertinent information to significantly increase my chances of accomplishing very important to me but I completely disregarded it, what now?"

It was a long ass code that nobody probably could of figured out, anyway.  

vmax84

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

vmax84

This.

Do people seriously still use IE?

Sadly, yes. They are legion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#13]
is "shake it's hand" okay?
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

vmax84

Not for nuthin' but the highlighted text above, as an IT guy, makes me wish horrible, horrible things would happen to you, daily. Your question is akin to "I was given pertinent information to significantly increase my chances of accomplishing very important to me but I completely disregarded it, what now?"

It was a long ass code that nobody probably could of figured out, anyway.  

vmax84

Obviously, because I make a very good living not being able to decipher "long ass code" which tells me what the problem is.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy a Mac
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, so I can google "Firefox" on this desktop that is working fine, download "Firefox" onto one of my flash drives, install on my laptop and I should be good to go?  

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok, so I can google "Firefox" on this desktop that is working fine, download "Firefox" onto one of my flash drives, install on my laptop and I should be good to go?  

vmax84

Yup! Or if you really want IE, try uninstalling it, then downloading the latest version from MS on another computer. And yes, error codes are important. They tell us geeks where to start the troubleshooting

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, this is what the error says when I try to start IE:

iexplore.exe  Application Error

The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000417) occurred in the application at location 0x67afd9fb.

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on Cancel to debug the program

I tried clicking on ok and cancel and it didn't automatically fix nothin'.   :(

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buy a Mac

bad advice
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

vmax84

Yes. Sort of. You still won't have solved whatever the underlying problem is. And since in Vista, IE is an integral component of the operating system, you've still got problems.

My first thought is you have some mal-ware of some type, though it may just be some crappy plugins or tool bars that don't play nice. I just had to uninstall 8 toolbars on my step-mother's PC to save her IE.

You need to find someone who knows about computers to take a look at it for you and fix it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Download CCleaner on your desktop. Move install file to USB memory stick and install it on your laptop. Run the program. See if that fixes the error.

Definitely not guaranteed, but worth a shot.

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I gotta get going to work, but thanks for the help.   Will get back into this in about 3 hours.  

Thanks again.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#24]
4 year olds shouldn't be using the internet anyway.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#25]
IE - the number 1 browser in America for downloading better browsers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Politicians, Laptops, diapers, all need changing from time to time, and for the same reason.

Strip it all down, reformat, reinstall operating system.   Load latest version of IE compatible with your Laptop.  Profit.

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Politicians, Laptops, diapers, all need changing from time to time, and for the same reason.

Strip it all down, reformat, reinstall operating system.   Load latest version of anything BUT IE compatible with your Laptop.  Profit.

FIFY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top