BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are only free range bison in Utah, Mexico, Alaska and Canada.

Umm...and Wyoming.

And North Dakota.

And there are white buffalo.  Three of them.

http://www.cowboysindians.com/Cowboys-Indians/October-2009/At-National-Buffalo-Museum-rare-white-bison-call-pastures-home/
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#2]
now from out of nowhere I'm wondering how much some buffalo stew meat would set me back
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really if you are interested in the species and wanting to learn more the best place to check out is bisoncentral.com or if you have any specific questions about the species feel free to IM me and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

WTF?

Spamming for a Bison website?

Huh? He's just being friendly. I don't see anything wrong with what he wrote.  

It just seems strange to me. A poster with a bison screenname and a bison avatar promoting a bison website in a random bison thread on a gun forum....

ETA: And a buffalo reference in his sig. He must really love bison.

Nothing different than recommending a dude to check out advrider if he wants more info on that particular subject matter.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really if you are interested in the species and wanting to learn more the best place to check out is bisoncentral.com or if you have any specific questions about the species feel free to IM me and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

WTF?

It just seems strange to me. A poster with a bison screenname and a bison avatar promoting a bison website in a random bison thread on a gun forum....

given they are my livelihood and I have been raising them for most of my life, yes I like the animals quite a bit.  Bison also got me into firearms (gotta kill em with something).  the website I gave is for the national bison association and has a lot of good information about bison on it,  If I were trying to promote something I would have linked the website to my online bison meat store.  The screen name is the name of my business and the sig is from a little sign sitting in my shop.

anything else I can clear up for you?

Don't sweat it dude. I think you have a cool job and don't think you did anything inappropriate.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well they would have to have gone away to come back first

But on a serious note, no. Bison are alive as a species today because of private farmers. And while their numbers may grow, for the most part they will be growing behind fences.

Dude, your avatar's a bison.  

my avatar is one of our herd bulls.  he was/is reportedly the first pure woods bison to be released from Canada into the U.S. and I'd say he is quite handsome
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#6]
There are some 19 tribes that have formed a cooperative to restore the bison herds in Indian territory for cultural and financial purposes.  Beyond that and private herds...no.  

They also pose a serious threat to one of the west's biggest industries....cattle.  Google Yellowstone Bison Slaughter.

Follow the dollar...therein lie all of the answers.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

Its not like he signed up to post in this thread though.  People are drawn to what interests them.

I posted a few times in a thread last night from a guy asking some questions about a foundation wall.  I am a structural engineer, and do a fair amount of residential work.  I guess I was shilling for work?

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nobody posted it yet? Really???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Lmkm5EF5E

IT'S CHEAPER THAN ADOPTION!  
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

given they are my livelihood and I have been raising them for most of my life, yes I like the animals quite a bit.  Bison also got me into firearms (gotta kill em with something).  the website I gave is for the national bison association and has a lot of good information about bison on it,  If I were trying to promote something I would have linked the website to my online bison meat store.  The screen name is the name of my business and the sig is from a little sign sitting in my shop.

Don't sweat it dude. I think you have a cool job and don't think you did anything inappropriate.  

+1

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no reason to propagate them beyond their current numbers.

Well thats mostly my question. There ARE wild herds, do you think that they could get to the point where single herds with tens of thousands or 100 thousand + individuals were just roamin around.

Well, if we get that super flu outbreak that everyone is worried about, it is possible.  I see the Bison population having an inverse relationship to the number of humans milling about.  We're just a sneeze away from making it happen.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#11]
BisonWorld,

Just how do you go about slaughtering on our animals?  Do you really use a firearm, or do you have a captive bolt gun?  If a rifle, what caliber? (45/70 seems like the ONLY choice! )
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its not like he signed up to post in this thread though.  People are drawn to what interests them.
I posted a few times in a thread last night from a guy asking some questions about a foundation wall.  I am a structural engineer, and do a fair amount of residential work.  I guess I was shilling for work?

Easy there guys......

I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I was just point out that someone's entire user account revolved around bison and he's posting a link to a bison website in a bison thread. It just seemed funny to me.

I didn't mean to get everyone's panties in a bunch.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A long time ago I rented a farmhouse in Jasper County.  The neighbor had a small herd.  Culling was done with a Remington 742 and 220 grain core-lokts to the brain from the fence line.  My room mate and I got to watch it once.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#14]
NOPE no HOPE!
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But on a serious note, no. Bison are alive as a species today because of private farmers. And while their numbers may grow, for the most part they will be growing behind fences.

my avatar is one of our herd bulls.  he was/is reportedly the first pure woods bison to be released from Canada into the U.S. and I'd say he is quite handsome

What kind of fencing keeps the beasts in?

It would have to be hell for stout (and expensive!).
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
. . .  

Want them to make a huge comeback? Start eating them. The more demand there is for Bison, the more ranchers will rise to the challenge.

Yep - generally leaner & healthier than most of the supermarket ground beef commonly available (much of which is PINK SLIME ).

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's bring back Indians, too.

I'm doing my part.  
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll40/gymbrown/100_0774Medium.jpg

Nice. How many times did you hit your head on the grips before you installed those custom safety devices?
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

. . . Bison also got me into firearms (gotta kill em with something).  the website I gave is for the national bison association and has a lot of good information about bison on it,  If I were trying to promote something I would have linked the website to my online bison meat store.

Thanks for the link!  

Have a Q. for you.  Seeing as Bison mostly exist behind fences these days, there is generally no more "bison hunting" in the traditional sense.     Still, a buddy of mine flew out to the Dakotas a few years back & aranged with a Bison rancher to "harvest" one of the rancher's animals; my buddy has a family heirloom Winchester 1876 in 45-60 & wanted to use it on one last "hunt."   He also bought a lot of the meat from that animal (filled his freezer to the brim & had to give a lot more of it away - there is lots of meat on one Bison).

Anyway, I also have an old gun I'd like to use to harvest a Bison:  an original 50-70 Rolling Block.  It has the longer 32" barrel & a tang sight; it is quite accurate.  Do you think the 50-70 with a 500 grain cast bullet would be a humane caliber to harvest a Bison?   I understand there is a ranch up in PA & I might inquire about harvesting a animal for a fee & also buying some of the meat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There is no reason to propagate them beyond their current numbers.

I think this is the real answer.  They are alive and well in TX, but only to the extent that they useful.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

They will never be as widespread as they used to be. It's just too dangerous now to have that many roaming around wild. They're territorial and will attack people without a lot of provocation. Plus they won't stay off of roadways. If you think the deer population is getting bad, imaging hitting something 5 times that size with a vehicle.

The government, conservation organizations, etc would never let the wild bison population grow back to any significant level. People would be getting injured and killed all the time and they would be considered a nuisance by most people.

I was in Montana and Yellowstone a couple years ago. It was awesome to see them in the wild, and we came upon several herds just standing in the middle of the road. They're pretty neat creatures, but it would be a disaster if they were heavily populated across the country.

In New England something that size is called a Swamp Donkey or Moose.

They are big, ugly, smell, and have bad breath.

And they kill a lot of people, usual scenario -

They dont show up well in headlights, legs are 4 ft. high, body is above the headlights. Car hits legs, knocks them out, body comes thru the roof, crushing all occupants.

Dont know about hitting a Bison, would probably suck, tho.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I love big bore "cowboy" calibers.  A hard cast 500 grain 50-70 slug at 800-1000 fps will likely pass through a bison.

I read an article a while back about some guy (Boddington, maybe?) using a 45-70 Garrett loaded cartridge on a cape buffalo in Africa.  Shot the animal in the chest, and they found the slug in its right hip.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
BisonWorld,

Just how do you go about slaughtering on our animals?  Do you really use a firearm, or do you have a captive bolt gun?  If a rifle, what caliber? (45/70 seems like the ONLY choice! )

depends on the day of the week,  with bison you cannot get in the pen with them for butchering so a firearm is required.  we typically have 4 that we use depending on who is doing the butchering or just what is in the truck that day:  a H&r handi in 45/70,  a s$w 460 xvr, a tauras 454 casuall, and a desert eagle 44 magnum (i've linked it in a few threads) with some very hot loads.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BisonWorld,

depends on the day of the week,  with bison you cannot get in the pen with them for butchering so a firearm is required.  we typically have 4 that we use depending on who is doing the butchering or just what is in the truck that day:  a H&r handi in 45/70,  a s$w 460 xvr, a tauras 454 casuall, and a desert eagle 44 magnum (i've linked it in a few threads) with some very hot loads.

Neat.  Any pictures you care to post?
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#24]
FYI - You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd. You CAN be happy if you have a mind too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of fencing keeps the beasts in?

It would have to be hell for stout (and expensive!).

there is no practical, affordable fencing to keep bison in.  You can only make what I like to call suggested boarders.  If they really want out, they will get out, and when that happens (unless it was our fault it escaped) we put the animal down on the spot.  it's a 2000 lbs+ animal of solid muscle that can jump 6 feet high from a stand still.  basically you just have to keep them happy inside their domain and put up a fence that would require them to put forward more effort to cross than to stay put.  now for our load out facility, it's all reinforced steel, a lot of reinforced steel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

. . . Bison also got me into firearms (gotta kill em with something).  the website I gave is for the national bison association and has a lot of good information about bison on it,  If I were trying to promote something I would have linked the website to my online bison meat store.

Thanks for the link!  

Have a Q. for you.  Seeing as Bison mostly exist behind fences these days, there is generally no more "bison hunting" in the traditional sense.     Still, a buddy of mine flew out to the Dakotas a few years back & aranged with a Bison rancher to "harvest" one of the rancher's animals; my buddy has a family heirloom Winchester 1876 in 45-60 & wanted to use it on one last "hunt."   He also bought a lot of the meat from that animal (filled his freezer to the brim & had to give a lot more of it away - there is lots of meat on one Bison).

Anyway, I also have an old gun I'd like to use to harvest a Bison:  an original 50-70 Rolling Block.  It has the longer 32" barrel & a tang sight; it is quite accurate.  Do you think the 50-70 with a 500 grain cast bullet would be a humane caliber to harvest a Bison?   I understand there is a ranch up in PA & I might inquire about harvesting a animal for a fee & also buying some of the meat.

that would be fine and rather historically accurate too   the reason we use such large calibers when we butcher is because the USDA requires a head on shot to be taken and a bison's skull is thick, able to take to force of two 2000lbs+ animals running at each other at 40 mph and making head on collisions.  for hunting though.  if you are going for a heart or lung shot anything that would typically work for an elk will work for a bison
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#27]
My son built a buffalo corral for a tribe out in WA. 7' high, 2" heavy-walled pipe. I guess it worked.

Wouldn't be much of a hunt in my opinion.  Around Jellystone you have to have a lot of patience to ever see one take a step.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BisonWorld,

depends on the day of the week,  with bison you cannot get in the pen with them for butchering so a firearm is required.  we typically have 4 that we use depending on who is doing the butchering or just what is in the truck that day:  a H&r handi in 45/70,  a s$w 460 xvr, a taurus 454 casuall, and a desert eagle 44 magnum (i've linked it in a few threads) with some very hot loads.

I'll take a family pic of my butchering utensils when I get home this evening.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

they are back, working at a Dell call center
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BisonWorld,

depends on the day of the week,  with bison you cannot get in the pen with them for butchering so a firearm is required.  we typically have 4 that we use depending on who is doing the butchering or just what is in the truck that day:  a H&r handi in 45/70,  a s$w 460 xvr, a taurus 454 casuall, and a desert eagle 44 magnum (i've linked it in a few threads) with some very hot loads.

I'll take a family pic of my butchering utensils when I get home this evening.

I'd like to see the butchering process too, if you happen to have any, and don't mind sharing.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm...and Wyoming.

Not really

The minute they leave Yellowstone they are shot
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

that would be fine and rather historically accurate too   the reason we use such large calibers when we butcher is because the USDA requires a head on shot to be taken and a bison's skull is thick, able to take to force of two 2000lbs+ animals running at each other at 40 mph and making head on collisions.  for hunting though.  if you are going for a heart or lung shot anything that would typically work for an elk will work for a bison

Good to know!  BTW - the 45-60 had a great effect on the bull; my buddy was also using cast lead bullets.  He told me that when the bullet struck the heart/lung area, the bull lept a full foot in the air "like a scarred cat" as he put it,  came down, snorted a gallon or two of blood through its nose and collapsed.  He said the rancher told him it was about a humane a kill as one could expect (other than, I guess, the head shot you described and which the USDA requires).  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

You must really like the pee of someone named Grayson.
Most people have screen names related to something they are interested in, and some even have websites relating to that. Guess what one of my interests is. I even used to have a website.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes!! This.

Wait I thInk I signed something when I bought my house about Indians wanting their land back.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

there is no practical, affordable fencing to keep bison in.  You can only make what I like to call suggested boarders.  If they really want out, they will get out, and when that happens (unless it was our fault it escaped) we put the animal down on the spot.  it's a 2000 lbs+ animal of solid muscle that can jump 6 feet high from a stand still.  basically you just have to keep them happy inside their domain and put up a fence that would require them to put forward more effort to cross than to stay put.  now for our load out facility, it's all reinforced steel, a lot of reinforced steel.

Yikes!

I am starting to see why bison would be so expensive to raise.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm...and Wyoming.

Not really

No, guy there are tags and a season.  You can't just blast em.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm...and Wyoming.

Not really

There are also ranched bison, just south of FE Warren AFB, on I-25.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I once read that herds could be as large as the state of Rhode Island before they were hunted.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody posted it yet? Really???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Lmkm5EF5E

IT'S CHEAPER THAN ADOPTION!  

BuffaloooooooOooooooOoooo!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Been there,  Some of the bison fencing I was helping install was massive thick wall pipe and basically guard wire that you would see on the side of the highway combined with two or three inch bar stock threaded together and about six or seven foot high.  But,  when those bastards wanted out they would either go over it,  or believe it or not right the fuck through it!  

The one I remember the most was a bison and her calf that wandered on the highway at about 3 or 4 in the morning and a Pepsi 10 wheeler hit them.  That truck was utterly destroyed!  Took the front end off,  knocked the engine and tranny out of the frame and rolled them under the truck knocked the cab loose and the front axle and what was left of the hood was in the ditch.  
That mess was cleaned up with front end loaders and fire trucks.  

Believe it or not there are a lot of bison in ND and SD,  Quite a few get shipped here from Canada.  And they make one hell of a tasty burger!  Or Chili.    MMMM
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

no bull (?)

ETA: Thanks for posting the website.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sort of, in the Ted Turner sense (privately owned herds).

Want them to make a huge comeback? Start eating them. The more demand there is for Bison, the more ranchers will rise to the challenge.

Challenge accepted!
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
OP have you seen all of the open land out west?

Yellowstone has a herd albeit not a large one.
Ted Turner has a boatload of buffalo on his ranch. Last a heard it was about 50K or so.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yikes!

I am starting to see why bison would be so expensive to raise.

you can typically get by with a more simple set up to start out with.  it's more of when the operation grows and you are running a few hundred of stressed out massive animals in a confined area that SHTF and you need to upgrade to something with a bit more strength.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#45]
No, you will never see bison roaming in great numbers again any more than you will see the Plains Indian that followed them.  Bison are migratory, the big herds needed the whole North, South cooridor that is the Great Plains for their survival. That whole institute was lost to the barbed wire fence, planted farmlands and superspeed highways.  

Havinbg a token few in a well fenced pasture is one thing, however, to try and contain a large herd as the seasons change is not natural, anymore than expecting wild geese to not migrate in the fall /spring.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No, you will never see bison roaming in great numbers again any more than you will see the Plains Indian that followed them.  Bison are migratory, the big herds needed the whole North, South cooridor that is the Great Plains for their survival.  That whole institute was lost to the barbed wire fence, planted farmlands and superspeed highways.

Chevy Volt vs angry bison at 65 mph (do Volts go that fast) - who's yer $$$ on

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sort of, in the Ted Turner sense (privately owned herds).

Two times tastier than beef.  Right now the meat is 2x more expensive than beef.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

lets bring back wooly mammoths and giant sloths. thats got my vote.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://blog.mydot.com/image.axd?picture=2011/1/wooly_mammoth.jpg

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://blog.mydot.com/image.axd?picture=2011/1/wooly_mammoth.jpg

think there would be a bow season for those?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top