Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2012 10:04:11 PM EDT

WOW it was bad enough from a diving perspective in the first show, now they are ice diving.

So, having been a commercial diver, things that stand out.

NO apparent standby diver set up.  Total no-go in real life.  Get stuck or trapped, you're F'd.  Sure there's not a lot on bottom but it's the principle of the thing.
No tender.  Looks like they are running 3+ people.  One person should actually work the divers hose.  take up and feed out slack so they don't have their hose all over the place.  The episode I'm watching right now they are having problems, and the divers are on their own having to climb the dredge hose.  They panic and blow their ascent speed.
I'm watching a diver die of smoke inhalation and he can't get off bottom because his untended hose is flailing into the water.    There was an electrical fire and the air compressor sucked up all the smoke.   The FIRST thing the guy on the radio should have been able to do is turn the manifold over to back up high pressure air tanks, and have the diver free flow air out of his mash to clear the line.   That way he'd have gotten maybe a breath or two of smoke, not huffing it down while everyone else appears to look go look at the fire.

On the flip side, the diver could have switched to his emergency "bail out" tank, except they don't wear them.

Using light duty auga masks instead of actual commercial diving helmets.  Aga's are neat masks, but are basically high end scuba gear.   Even a Kirby Morgan "band mask"  would be light years ahead, for being a mask and not a full helmet.
No teamwork, no communication, no nothing.  Total amateur hour.
Forgetting to fuel up things, like, oh the hot water machine that keeps your diver warm.

2 divers in a row have problems breathing.  They panicked like hell, but is the answer to throw another diver in the water?  Or is it to check your compressor and make sure you have the right "over bottom" pressure for them to breath while working?
Are there any REAL dive outfits looking for gold up there?   Or is just flyby night?

Link Posted: 9/2/2012 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

WOW it was bad enough from a diving perspective in the first show, now they are ice diving.

NO apparent standby diver set up.  Total no-go in real life.  Get stuck or trapped, you're F'd.  Sure there's not a lot on bottom but it's the principle of the thing.

No tender.  Looks like they are running 3+ people.  One person should actually work the divers hose.  take up and feed out slack so they don't have their hose all over the place.  The episode I'm watching right now they are having problems, and the divers are on their own having to climb the dredge hose.  They panic and blow their ascent speed.

I'm watching a diver die of smoke inhalation and he can't get off bottom because his untended hose is flailing into the water.    There was an electrical fire and the air compressor sucked up all the smoke.   The FIRST thing the guy on the radio should have been able to do is turn the manifold over to back up high pressure air tanks, and have the diver free flow air out of his mash to clear the line.   That way he'd have gotten maybe a breath or two of smoke, not huffing it down while everyone else appears to look go look at the fire.

On the flip side, the diver could have switched to his emergency "bail out" tank, except they don't wear them.

Using light duty auga masks instead of actual commercial diving helmets.  Aga's are neat masks, but are basically high end scuba gear.   Even a Kirby Morgan "band mask"  would be light years ahead, for being a mask and not a full helmet.

Forgetting to fuel up things, like, oh the hot water machine that keeps your diver warm.

2 divers in a row have problems breathing.  They panicked like hell, but is the answer to throw another diver in the water?  Or is it to check your compressor and make sure you have the right "over bottom" pressure for them to breath while working?

Are there any REAL dive outfits looking for gold up there?   Or is just flyby night?

Whenever someone business strategy involves searching for gold under a frozen lake, you have to take their mental capacity with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#2]
You know damn well they know what their doing... it's on TV for Gods sake.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

You know damn well they know what their doing... it's on TV for Gods sake.

LOL this is true!

Link Posted: 9/2/2012 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Whenever someone business strategy involves searching for gold under a frozen lake, you have to take their mental capacity with a grain of salt.

I'd dive for gold under ice if I could have a good crew of trained commercial divers, vs. dredging in Africa for diamonds.  
Now THAT would make an awesome show!  

Link Posted: 9/2/2012 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
No, it wouldn't make an awesome show for the people who watch TV, it would be boring as hell.  No drama, no accidents, no excitement.  Watching professionals do their job is boring as hell, as it should be.  They know what they are doing and everything usually runs like clockwork.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No, it wouldn't make an awesome show for the people who watch TV, it would be boring as hell.  No drama, no accidents, no excitement.  Watching professionals do their job is boring as hell, as it should be.  They know what they are doing and everything usually runs like clockwork.

Oh, sorry, I meant the diamond diving in Africa.
Shit's pretty wild.  I worked with a few South African divers and heard their day to day stories.

Link Posted: 9/2/2012 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

SIC

Your description of what your watching has answered the above in red very easily.

Yes they are fly by the seats of their pants from how they are depicted on the show.

They are gonna get somoen killed if not on the show but at very least from someone who thinks they could
do that and head to Alaska and make a go at it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, let me get this straight.

This was a show that said that the underside of the ice will bear sea gold?

Or was this a show about finding gold in the Bering Sea?
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SIC

Your description of what your watching has answered the above in red very easily.

Yes they are fly by the seats of their pants from how they are depicted on the show.

They are gonna get somoen killed if not on the show but at very least from someone who thinks they could

do that and head to Alaska and make a go at it.

Oh no doubt they'll get someone hurt or killed.

Obviously they picked the most dramatic crews for the show, but there's got to be at least a FEW super pro crews working right?

Link Posted: 9/2/2012 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Pros cost money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Pros cost money.

Pro's make money.

Better maintenance means less downtime, also even if something DOES break it's faster to get back online when people know what they are doing and have experience.  Enough divers, in that shallow of water you can run 24 hour ops real easy.  Safer, faster, more efficient.

Link Posted: 9/2/2012 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Pros cost money.

So do people that drown in the water because someone didn't know what they were doing...
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 12:03:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pros cost money.

So do people that drown in the water because someone didn't know what they were doing...

The smoke inhalation scene drove me nuts.
Dude's literally going to die, is scrambling up his hose but keeps dragging more in the water because there was to tender to pull the guy 25' to the surface.

No HP air to switch to it looked like, everyone jsut kind of walked out of the control van to find where the smoke was coming from and left the diver to dangle on his own.

I've had the same thing happen.
Welders started working next to the intake to the dive compressors.  Called out smoke on the radio, imideatly opened the knob for more air, supervisor closed the compressor air, turned on the HP air and I was breathing fine in no more than maybe 5-6 seconds?  No panic, no worries.  They stopped the welders, drained the air tanks 3 times and put me back on compressor air.  Never even stopped working.

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 12:37:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bering Sea is not a fucking lake

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Has water, is lake.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Where they are diving is like 5-25' deep and near shore.    Not to mention lack of visible current and visibility for DAYS.
They always hype up "lack of viability"  (since it adds suspense) but they have straight up YARDS of vis if not more.
Offshore in the Gulf you're lucky  you have zero, literally doing everything by touch, to 3-5 feet.   Most times if you have good viz it'll be messed up when you start working.
Very lake like.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I saw the previews for the show... thought 'meh'.

Nice to see a diver's perspective on it... if they really are putting people in that much danger for 'excitement'... then I don't know who to be mad at. The producers/execs/insurance for allowing them to, or the divers for doing it and risking a horrible tragedy for their families(If they have nobody who cares about them, then it's not so bad if they kill themselves trying to be stupid).
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Truth, it just confuses me seeing suck amateur hour operations.  
I know in some places like the public gold area's there's a limitation to the dredge size and power.  Looking in the background you can see one man rafts with a regular freaking compressor powering a one man operation.
And I suppose there are plenty of regulations stopping the old school dredging with the gigantic barges.
It's that in between that I'd like to find out about, the places that follow code.   I keep thinking about trying to get on with Raytheon polar services, might as well go dive for gold instead. :)

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 2:11:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't know jack shit about hookah diving or whatever, but I saw 5 minutes of that show and it was obvious to me it was either entirely staged, or they are going to get someone killed very soon.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't know jack shit about hookah diving or whatever, but I saw 5 minutes of that show and it was obvious to me it was either entirely staged, or they are going to get someone killed very soon.

this..

most reality shows like this seem fake as hell..too much whiny drama...

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 3:10:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Too much stupidity and drama on that show.

But if you guys set up a crew of arfcommers, I'm in. Fuck the TV, we'll go in, dredge whatever we can, I'll swallow the gold in condoms and get the fuck out of the country.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pros cost money.

Youre not going to get pros to line up for a job were you may or maynot have a paycheck.

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Too much stupidity and drama on that show.

But if you guys set up a crew of arfcommers, I'm in. Fuck the TV, we'll go in, dredge whatever we can, I'll swallow the gold in condoms and get the fuck out of the country.

Join the GPAA, they do it every year at Nome. Search for 'Alaskan' on the Outdoor Channel to watch what they do.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pros cost money.

Youre not going to get pros to line up for a job were you may or maynot have a paycheck.

Not necessarily.    While the gold diving looks like an all or nothing gig, from what I saw they were getting gold pretty easy.   I'm sure it's the way the show is edited, that makes it seem everytime they find gold they have a near catastrophic failure.  But, that still goes to show they do have constant problems getting them from running 24 hour ops.
In commercial diving, I've been on jobs where we ran 24/7 diving, fir 2 months+ with nary a problem.  
That translates to less down time, more money made!

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Pros cost money.

Pro's make money.

Better maintenance means less downtime, also even if something DOES break it's faster to get back online when people know what they are doing and have experience.  Enough divers, in that shallow of water you can run 24 hour ops real easy.  Safer, faster, more efficient.

If there was real money in it there would be commercial pros on the job.  The fact that the people doing it have to do a reality show shows that they are not making real cash at it.  I bet they make more money in the filming than they do from the actual gold.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 6:51:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pros cost money.

Pro's make money.

If there was real money in it there would be commercial pros on the job.  The fact that the people doing it have to do a reality show shows that they are not making real cash at it.  I bet they make more money in the filming than they do from the actual gold.

I agree with you 100%, and am interested to learn if there ARE any pro's doing it.  I imagine the gold diving business to be a LOT like treasure hunting dive business.   A million amatures, a few pro's, and the pro's fly so low under the radar you'll never hear a word about them.

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#27]
They are amateurs..with the exception of the Shamrock.

According to this http://www.akmining.com/mine/bering_sea_gold_the_nome_gold_rush.htm Nome's offshore East and West Beach are open for "recreational miners" (that would be The Clark and the Lazy Gator).
The Shamrock is probably the only outfit that's operating under an actual claim (based on the HP rating of their pump).
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Pros cost money.

Pro's make money.

I agree with you 100%, and am interested to learn if there ARE any pro's doing it.  I imagine the gold diving business to be a LOT like treasure hunting dive business.   A million amatures, a few pro's, and the pro's fly so low under the radar you'll never hear a word about them.

I bet the pros don't want anything to do with publicity.  No sense giving away any possible edge by advertising to the world.  But it would be nice to see how a well run operation works.  That does not make good TV though. You need stupid people doing dramatic stuff to get the masses to watch.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pros cost money.

Ever see how many guys sing on to fishing boats?
I can take you to the docks in Anacortes and show you all of the fishing boats that can't go out to sea because they didn't make any money the previous season.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm nothing close to a diver, but noticed all of the OPs concerns.

Did anyone else notice the "In memory of _____ _____,1985-2012" at the end of the show.  I just flip to that show during commercials, but saw that and wondered to myself if one of the diver's had died during filming.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I went to commercial diving school for the fun of it and never worked.
I watched some of one of those shows and even I would have known better than to be on that boat, much less in the water.
I wonder if those "divers" are actually divers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top