Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2012 1:42:23 PM EDT
The helicopter saw the bear sitting over the remains guarding the "food cache".

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/26/california-man-dies-in-first-fatal-bear-attack-at-alaska-denali-national-park/

ANCHORAGE, Alaska –  A hiker in Alaska's Denali National Park photographed a grizzly bear for at least eight minutes before the bear mauled and killed him in the first fatal attack in the park's history, officials said Saturday. Investigators have recovered the camera and looked at the photographs, which show the bear grazing and not acting aggressively before the attack, Denali Park Superintendent Paul Anderson said.
The hiker was identified late Saturday as Richard White, 49, of San Diego. He was backpacking alone along the Toklat River on Friday afternoon when he came within 50 yards of the bear, far closer than the quarter-mile of separation required by park rules, officials said. "They show the bear grazing in the willows, not acting aggressive in any form or manner during that period of time," Anderson said of the photos.
Officials learned of the attack after hikers stumbled upon an abandoned backpack along the river about three miles from a rest area on Friday afternoon. The hikers also spotted torn clothing and blood. They immediately hiked back and alerted staff park.

Rangers in a helicopter spotted a large male grizzly bear sitting on the hiker's remains, which they called a "food cache" in the underbrush about 100 to 150 yards from the site of the attack on Friday.
A state trooper shot and killed the male bear on Saturday. Investigators examined the bear's stomach contents, looked at White's photos and used other tests Saturday evening to confirm that it was the animal that killed White, park officials said in a statement Saturday night. White's remains were recovered Saturday evening and were being sent to the medical examiner in Anchorage. There's no indication that the man's death was the result of anything other than a bear attack, investigators said, adding that it's the first known fatal mauling in the park's nearly century-long history. "Over the years, and especially since the 1970s, the park has worked very diligently to minimize the conflict between humans and wildlife in the park," Anderson said.

"We have some of the most stringent human-wildlife conflict regulations in the National Park system, and I think those are largely responsible for the fact that there hasn't been a fatal attack."
White had been in the Denali backcountry for three nights and may have recently hiked in other areas of Alaska, park officials said. It was unknown if he had previous backcountry experience in Denali.
Park officials said they don't believe other registered backpackers are in the immediate area. That portion of the park is closed but other wilderness areas remain open, officials said. Prior to receiving a permit to hike in the area, all backpackers in the park receive mandatory bear awareness training that teaches them to stay at least a quarter-mile away from bears, and to slowly back away if they find themselves any closer. Investigators confirmed that the hiker had received that training. Denali is located 240 miles north of Anchorage. It spans more than 6 million acres and is home to numerous wild animals, including bears, wolves, caribou and moose.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Stupid games and all that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I feel bad for the bear to be honest
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Same here
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Bet he tasted like tofu and patchouli.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I almost have to agree. I was hiking in Glacier two weeks ago and saw some real bonehead shit going on with a group of four inexperienced hikers which put my group in danger by cooking/eating and storing food improperly in the designated back country campsites.

Some people don't bother to learn the necessary skills and rules around bears. Those who show a total lack of regard for where they stand on the old food chain once out in the back country should not be surprised when faced with trouble in the form of a griz or other bears.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#7]
So if you're in the woods how can you be sure to stay a 1/4 mile away from a bear?

That distance looking through trees would be impossible to maintain would it not?

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So if you're in the woods how can you be sure to stay a 1/4 mile away from a bear?

That distance looking through trees would be impossible to maintain would it not?

What if you had a bag full of magnets?
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

but srsly, wtf was he doing in bear country without a gun?

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah like this story wouldnt have been posted already? damn man. IBTL
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The hiker was identified late Saturday as Richard White, 49, of San Diego. He was backpacking alone along the Toklat River on Friday afternoon when he came within 50 yards of the bear, far closer than the quarter-mile of separation required by park rules, officials said. "They show the bear grazing in the willows, not acting aggressive in any form or manner during that period of time," Anderson said of the photos.

Tards all over but his home town doesn't surprise me nor does his up close and take photos of the pastoral wildlife amaze me.

Dumbass wanted to be one with nature and got it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tards all over but his home town doesn't surprise me nor does his up close and take photos of the pastoral wildlife amaze me.

nope, he will end up as number 2
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I opened the link, saw he was from california and now my shocked face.

Fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#15]
pepper spray...for the win !!
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Hahaha, at first glance I thought the OP's thread title was "Bear Grills eats a man"!!!  And sadly I wouldn't put it past him.  He's gotta boost his ratings one way or another...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Poor thing probably had indegestion.

I feel bad for the medical examiner too...

"OK who left the pile of bear s––t on the autopsy table"!

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I read the title as "Bear Grylls Eats Man in Denali National Park"

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't shoot a bear.  It's illegal.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#23]
That's one hell of a way to go, RIP.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hahaha, at first glance I thought the OP's thread title was "Bear Grills eats a man"!!!  And sadly I wouldn't put it past him.  He's gotta boost his ratings one way or another...

Quoted:
I read the title as "Bear Grylls Eats Man in Denali National Park"

Must be something going around. Two other people said the same thing in the earlier thread.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I like how it says in the article that after the remains were removed from the stomach of the bear, they were turned over to the medical examiner, presumably for a post mortem.

Is that so they can make sure the victim didn't die in a car crash or something?

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope, he will end up as number 2

Poop thread
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I like how it says in the article that after the remains were removed from the stomach of the bear, they were turned over to the medical examiner, presumably for a post mortem.

Is that so they can make sure the victim didn't die in a car crash or something?

It's probably state law that all remains get examined when anything out of the ordinary happens.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's probably state law that all remains get examined when anything out of the ordinary happens.

Probably so.

Sometimes, I think it's a bit silly though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Great, I am going up there next week. What is the recommended stuff and where can I buy it?

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

only to take his mind off of the 454 casul rounds bouncing off his cranium

Dont leave home without it:  http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkAlaskan/models.html
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Stupid games and all that.

and sometimes the Bear gets you....... and all that

And I can see why the bear had to be killed, he would just look for more hikers.
Bear probably was saying WTF that was too easy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#32]
As I have stated numerous times ...

Stupid fucking city boys.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You can shoot if the bear is trying to eat you.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Great, I am going up there next week. What is the recommended stuff and where can I buy it?

You don't need to buy anything to avoid what happened to that guy.  You just have to not stick your zoom lens up a grizzly's ass.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I was pissed at someone, bonking them on the head and leaving the honey and molasses covered corpse in Denali might work  

DATELINE ANCHORAGE:

The Anchorage medical examiner's office today revealed the death of a San Diego man in Denali National Park, which was initially assumed to be the result of a marauding bear attack, was actually a case
of murder.

"Previously, we assumed that this death was accidental, when the victim got too close to the hungry bear" said Dr. Fussmucker of the ME's office.

"However, we have since ascertained that the victim was bonked on the head and covered with molasses prior to being devoured by the brown bear" he added.  "This is why we do post mortems even in cases where
the cause of death appears to be obvious."

The Anchorage district attorney's office has stated they have a possible suspect in the case, who they describe as "senior site staff" of a popular gun website, "with over one hundred thousand posts" on that forum.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you allowed to carry a gun in national parks?

Answered my own question: Yes you can

12. Can I carry a gun or firearm to protect myself from bears?
If you are entitled under applicable federal and State of Alaska laws to possess a firearm, recent changes in federal law make it legal to carry firearms in most outdoor areas of Denali National Park and Preserve.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I was in Denali National park last year and it was the most amazing place I have been. We saw grizzlies, caribou, Dall sheep. In the 12 hours we were in the park we saw at least a dozen grizzlies. Several with one or two cubs. I spent most of my time on the buses that tour the park but you can get out and hike any time and catch the next bus if you would like. There has not been hunting, and very little people, in the park for 150 years. Most of the animals couldn't care less if you were there or not.

Me and my dad.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been there.  The bears would dig up marmots to eat.  Huge energy expenditure for such little payoff.  I guess they got their main food from chasing wolves off of their kills of moose & caribou.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably so.

Sometimes, I think it's a bit silly though.

Oh, I agree with you.  I guess we're just seeing bureaucratic red tape in action.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't need to buy anything to avoid what happened to that guy.  You just have to not stick your zoom lens up a grizzly's ass.

Figured as much. I'm more worried about hitting a moose on the highway in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Common sense. You probably already have some.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Some of the bears from Denali. They were about 100-150 yards away and I had the wrong lens on my camera when we saw them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Shoulda bought a Yukon.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure about that?

ETA: I see a fellow Alaskan has already set you straight.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Why did they have to kill the bear? He was no longer a threat. It's not like he was raiding garage cans in town or chasing school children while waiting for the bus.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Figured as much. I'm more worried about hitting a moose on the highway in the middle of the night.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2010/05/grizzly-bear-shot-and-killed-hikers-denali-national-park-and-preserve5943

Read this and decide for yourself if you think you need a gun.

I'd take a good bear spray at the least. They aren't polar bears, where a long arm is usually required, but they aren't black bears either. Odds may  be low, and you certainly shouldn't shoot every one that just wanders into your path.... Experienced people who live in Griz. country do get dead from them though even when they follow the best practices.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Check the various camping outlets.  Cabeals and REI both sell bear spray.  I suggest the biggest size.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top