Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2012 5:38:42 PM EDT
These seem to be gaining in popularity.  It seems weird to have a 1911 with a thick double stack grip.  
Are the barrels, triggers, and other parts interchangeable with the single stacks?  
Are most of the double stacks reliable?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#1]
they feel like holding onto a brick.  triggers are different, not sure on other internals
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
they feel like holding onto a brick.  triggers are different, not sure on other internals

I love mine.  I want one of the RIA double stack .45's... especially if the mags will work in my Para's.
-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Feel like a brick?  Or a block?  My Paras feel great but I've got larger hands.  They feel natural to me.

Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a STI Edge the juice was not worth the squeeze
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't get over the grip. I stick to single stack.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The barrel of the P14.45 I used to own had a ramped barrel, totally unlike the single-stack M1911A1's I have also owned.

That, I know is not interchangable.

That handgun for sure had a big ass
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one of the Israeli Bul M5's for some time. I liked it quite a bit. Sold it to some guy at the range that had to have it. Made a tidy sum on it. it wasn't a spectacular pistol. But shot really well.

Brother in Indianapolis has a Para P14 that is a damn good pistol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have tiny fucking hands and they feel and shoot fine to me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The barrel of the P14.45 I used to own had a ramped barrel, totally unlike the single-stack M1911A1's I have also owned.

That, I know is not interchangable.

That handgun for sure had a big ass

Clark ramp, far superior to non-ramped.  Used in some custom pistols.  When  ramped barrels came out, there were two styles, the Clark and the Nowlin.  Since Wilson adopted the Nowlin, it became more popular.  But the Clark is stronger.

Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't find any online.  What's a good price on these?  

Are most of the mags interchangeable (are Rock River v Springfield double stack mags the same)?
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don't like the large grip, try an STI/SVI. Grip feels only slightly different than a regular 1911.

While there are exceptions, I'd advise you stay away from Para-Ordnance. I don't have any experience with the Rock Island or Springfield double stack, so can't really say.

Triggers aren't interchangeable, as they span the magazine in the 1911 design. Other parts that, as I recall, don't interchange include thumb safeties, grip safeties, and mainspring housings. I can't think of any double stacks that don't use a ramped barrel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are most of the mags interchangeable (are Rock River v Springfield double stack mags the same)?

Yes RIA and Springer use para mags. I picked up a springer doublestack in the EE a year or so back for 400. I think thats normally what the RIAs go for now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Para P-12, I love it. I shoot better with it than I do with My Gold Cup. It has been totally reliable and is my carry weapon when I'm going someplace questionable. The grip panels are thinner to make up for most of the difference in the double stack. It really doesn't FEEL much thicker than my Colts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#15]
A good friend of mine just picked one up. I talked to him the other day and he says he's been leaving his single stack at home and carrying the double. Guess he likes it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes RIA and Springer use para mags. I picked up a springer doublestack in the EE a year or so back for 400. I think thats normally what the RIAs go for now.

THAT WAS YOU!?

I wanted that gun. A blued Springer doublestack? I just missed out on it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#17]
They do feel a little square in my hands, and I have larger hands. To me, the squarish brick feeling of the front strap, coupled with a lack of good grip options, make the pistol feel like its not very secure I my hands. It wants to move around a lot when firing.  I don't have this prob with. normal 1911s.

Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Kimber double stack. The frame is made by Bul. It shoots well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Original Para Ordnance frame kit. Definitely big, definitely heavy, but OK....just OK...by me. I prefer a single-stack.

In addition to the work done by the Springfield Custom Shop, Novak put in the night sights and cut the front cocking serrations (which, of course, I never use.) I dropped a chunk of change to get it where I wanted it, as it was my first ever handgun purchase when I turned twenty-one, but it has pretty much sat in the safe ever since.

I may add an aftermarket rail and make it a dedicated house/car gun, or may simply sell/trade it for something I really want.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#20]
SVI and STI 2011's here i have medium hands the grip is perfect
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I had 2 Para Ordnances. I did everything I could to make them run but they wouldn't. I sold them.

I'd love a high cap 9mm 1911 with a non-linked barrel lockup. That runs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I had 2 Para Ordnances. I did everything I could to make them run but they wouldn't. I sold them.

I'd love a high cap 9mm 1911 with a non-linked barrel lockup. That runs.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Para Ordinance, ever since they started production. Before the Internet, in other words.

Basically, if you got a good one, you were golden.

If you got one they didn't run well, you would send it back several times, little to nothing would be done, then you may or may not try to pay out f pocket to have a 'smith fix it, then you sell it at a loss.

I don't know if a lot of people got bad ones, or they just made a lot of noise because they were justifiably pissed off.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#24]
This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#25]
This has been my carry gun since 1995, 12 rounds of 45 in a gun the size of an Officers 1911.

Never a problem after I went with a Wilson one piece guide rod.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I had a P14 LTD that ran like a top , and regret selling her , almost every day .

I still have a USP and also owned two G30's and a G21 .......I want the Glocks back , and will eventually have an STI , but I'll never get rid of the Hk
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 6:55:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I can't get over the grip. I stick to single stack.

Pretty much this on account of my child like hands.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Currently carrying a XD45 Tactical.  My hands are pretty big so bigger grips don't phase me.  Saw a Para at the NRA convention that got my attention, their blackops doublestack looked cool, but I may just have something for all black guns.

Figured I'd tag this thread, as I'd heard Paras can be hit or miss and wanted to check the validity of the rumor mill
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Currently carrying a XD45 Tactical.  My hands are pretty big so bigger grips don't phase me.  Saw a Para at the NRA convention that got my attention, their blackops doublestack looked cool, but I may just have something for all black guns.

Figured I'd tag this thread, as I'd heard Paras can be hit or miss and wanted to check the validity of the rumor mill

My SF-45A is going back to the factory when I get home. Shoots about 10" below POA at 10 yards.

Dad's CCO never could get through three mags without some kind of malfunction. Three trips to Para, no repairs performed, they claimed user error. On the fourth trip back he advised them that if something wasn't done, he, as a chief of police, would ban Paras from use in his department and distribute a bulletin to other Texas agencies advising they do the same. It came back a few weeks later and hasn't jammed since.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#30]
They are no bigger than holding a glock or some other hi cap pistol. Look in to STI. I have two and I love them both. I don't even look at my other pistols as I only shoot these and they both have very high round counts with no problems

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#31]
I have an STI I rarely shoot set up for Limited Class.  I would never use one for carry, they are just too fat.  I have a CCO for that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

This has been my carry gun since 1995, 12 rounds of 45 in a gun the size of an Officers 1911.

http://4-riders.com/pics/gun/P1245a.jpg
That is a seriously handsome pistol!  I just added it to my want-to try list.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hmmm what other mods were done?
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I love my STI Perfect 10.  Probably my favorite pistol to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
These seem to be gaining in popularity.  It seems weird to have a 1911 with a thick double stack grip.  
Are the barrels, triggers, and other parts interchangeable with the single stacks?  
Are most of the double stacks reliable?  
http://www.armoryblog.com/wp-content/gallery/shot-show-2012-media-range-day/shot-show-2012-media-range-day-rock-island-double-stack-1911-45acp.jpg

All my experience comes from shooting STIs and SVs.
They have a composite lowers.
Their reliability has been proven in USPSA/IPSC competition.
Trigger bows are larger but most internals are same size.

MetroArms is making STI/SV clones cheap.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have an STI I rarely shoot set up for Limited Class.  I would never use one for carry, they are just too fat.  I have a CCO for that.

The really are not that much wider than a single stack.  How much fatter is your STI sans magwell than your CCO; a few thousands of an inch?

And just to add some pictures.

And for CCW the ultimate in concealability and fire power a wide body 22LR.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ab-so-freaking-lutely!!!

In addition to the P-12 I also have a P-14 Limited that's my back-up competition gun.  The only thing I've EVER found wrong with Para doublestacks are the mag springs.  Get a set of Wolff extra power magazine springs and Paras will run with any 1911 out there.

That being said, my main competition gun is an STI Eagle 5.0.  The best source I've found for STI is Brazo's

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#38]
A cautionary tale of what happens when you manufacture a full size all steel double stack .45.

That's right, 3 pounds empty! Polymer is good...

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a seriously handsome pistol!  I just added it to my want-to try list.

Yeah. That is really nice looking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top