Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/10/2012 6:58:09 AM EDT
minus the metal latch. Its a small dinky 1/2'' wide leash but who knows how she ate it. How fucked am I at this point? It was some time overnight and I found the leftovers (metal latch only) in her kennel this morning. What are the odds she shredded it vs eating it all as one intestine blocking piece? I have a VM in to my vet to see what he wants me to do first, I didnt see any signs of it in her morning poop and she isnt showing any obvious signs of distress at this point.

FML, when it rains, it pours.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a vet, but she'll poop it out and be fine IMO.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:03:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I know of a Dalmatian ate a pantyhose...got it so wrapped up in the dog's guts, that it couldn't be saved.Dead.
Good luck with this, really.
Freeze
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My wifes been a vet tech for many years. She tells me all kinds of stuff that they pull out of dogs. I would have to disagree with your post.

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Wrong. This can kill your dog op. Get it into the vet ASAP  for a xray to see if its blocking the intestines.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#5]
wife says take it to the vet. Asap. Also have a nother vet in the gahtf.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Vet.

Now.

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Hydrogen peroxide.  Teaspoon to tablespoon will make them puke it up.  It will work.

***Do not accept this as medical advice***
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:06:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. This can kill your dog op. Get it into the vet ASAP  for a xray to see if its blocking the intestines.

I got a voicemail into the guy, hes in surgery.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#9]
If it gets stuck halfway out..  walk the dog.  Take pics.  

I'm guess it'll be fine.  Mine do all kinds of dumb shit.  Call your vet if you are concerned.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Five feet?? God DANG.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a voicemail into the guy, hes in surgery.

Good. I will say a prayer for the the pup :( gl op.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hydrogen peroxide.  Teaspoon to tablespoon will make them puke it up.  It will work.

I dont even know if its still in her stomach
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:08:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When the lab poops it out, see if you can pull start him like a mower...
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#14]
A month back my Lab ate some steel wool that I used to clean the BBQ grill. Two days later it reappeared.

This to shall pass..
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok... I read something like this in a thread.  

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT YANK ON IT LIKE YOU WERE STARTING A LAWNMOWER.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the lab poops it out, see if you can pull start him like a mower...

You fuckin fuck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:09:05 AM EDT
[#17]
My German Shorthair once ate 4 feet of "Christmas Wrapping Ribbon".
The stuff that costs 10 cents for 100 yards and gets all "curly" when you
wrap presents.

Bound up in her intestines and cost us 2,500 bucks to get her fixed up.
Watch her closely. If see starts eating grass and puking you're in trouble...
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#18]
My girlfriend's parents have a standard poodle that ate a tube sock, and passed it through.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Kids were playing waterballoons in the back porch this summer...Dog at the remains.  Funny going on poop patrol and seeing bright red, green, blue and white dog shit
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Best wishes for your pooch.

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:11:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont even know if its still in her stomach

How recent?  If not very recent go to vet asap.  These things go badly quite often.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My girlfriend's parents have a standard poodle that ate a tube sock, and passed it through.

A friend of mine is a vet tech ,she told me about a golden retriever that ate a plastic grocery bag and didn't pass it... the outcome was not a good one.
Hope it all works out for your pup!
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#23]
LOL.  I've got an 85lb lab/husky mix.  She once ate a leather work glove.  I only know this because I was missing a glove and the next day I went to pick up poop and found a very tightly twisted WHOLE work glove amongst her poop.  She would also swallow the rocks.  For whatever reason, she wouldn't digest those - they'd end up in a pile of puke on the carpet.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm on the phone with the vet now, I think I'll be heading up there to drop $200 on a few xrays in a sec.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#25]
My dog ate about 6' worth of paper towels once. When he crapped it out it was link a 6 foot string of sausage links. amazing what doesnt kill them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Now she can walk herself!

Good luck, she's probably fine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I am so thankful that our dog doesn't chew on anything except for treats, and her throwing rope...which if she was somehow able to eat, i'd be quite impressed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#28]
My lab a Mardi Gras bead necklace, passed w/o issue.  But we also lost a kitten to a loose thread off a blanket.

Will all depend if the lab broke the leash into small sections chewing on it, or if it swallowed a longer peice.

Watch the dog if it starts eating grass or puking - that'll be your sign that its stuck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd get the x-ray to be safe.  

My dag ate his own shit yesterday while I was at work, then puked it back up right on the living room rug.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If it gets stuck halfway out..  walk the dog.  Take pics.  

I'm guess it'll be fine.  Mine do all kinds of dumb shit.  Call your vet if you are concerned.

ROFL!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#31]

My neighbor lost their border collie about a year ago to the exact same scenario.

Get to a vet!!

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#33]
A buddy of mine's lab ate a fucking recliner, killed it deader than shit. Call the vet.
My labs destroyed all sorts of shit, never ingested it though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#34]
My boxer shreds and eats those indestructible fire hose toys.

It's always awesome to see what a 15 dollar turd looks like

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Ive seen a small shit dog eat condoms.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#36]
IBTFFPT

In Before The Five Foot Poop Thread
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#37]
I kept a friends lab mix in my garage overnight.  It ate the rubber weather stripping off the bottom of my two-car garage door.  He was shitting that stuff for a week
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Mine swallowed a tennis ball, surgically removed.  One of many WTF Labrador moments in life.

She also chewed up a rope toy and shit out string.  A leash will be a blockage requiring surgery.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Maybe, if he chewed it up in to tiny pieces, but I doubt that, more likely he gobbled it down.  Vet plus x-rays is the only way to know it whether it'll create a blockage.

Take the dog to the vet, and stop leaving stuff around that's meant not to be chewed on by the pooch.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm on the phone with the vet now, I think I'll be heading up there to drop $200 on a few xrays in a sec.

Thank you...Take care of your Dawg.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#42]
First calm yourself because you know nothing at this point as to if the dog ate it.
Second, nothing is going to hurt for a day or so.  Signs of distress would be apparent- loss of apetite, labored breathing, etc.
Third- you will probably hear some whining and have to step on the said leash while dog trots off.
Fourth, and most important, try to make sure this doesn't happen in front of your neighbor while she and you both try to ignore it like it is natural.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, if he chewed it up in to tiny pieces, but I doubt that, more likely he gobbled it down.  Vet plus x-rays is the only way to know it whether it'll create a blockage.

Take the dog to the vet, and stop leaving stuff around that's meant not to be chewed on by the pooch.

My three year old son likes to give her things through the slat in her crate.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Shes at the vet now. I should know something by 3pm or so.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Hope everything is OK with your dog. If the vet says its all good expect to find it in the yard in 3 days.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Animals swallowing lengths of string or leashes is serious. Pay ZERO heed to those saying it'll poop it out. It might... but it's far more likely to either stick in the stomach and block or destroy their intestines as they try to pass it.

The only answer for stuff like this is get it to a vet ASAP. They can scope it and pull it out the easy way before surgery is required.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Dont worry, she'll either crap it out or throw it up.
My dumb dog lives to eat Clorox wipes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#48]
One of my friends was a vet assistant and has told me all kinds of horror stories. It amazes me at how some dogs can eat inedible things, crap them out, and be fine. Another dog will eat a little piece of plastic and die.

An xray will give you piece of mind. Hope all goes well.

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

this works. but you have to either catch the dog eating something or within minutes. if they dont puke it up
off to the vet.
also take note that this works much better if your dog is active. we gave ours a few tablespoons without effect
started throwing the tennis ball and she didnt even make it halfway back...gave us the "you did this" look and puked projectile style.

note... this will also work on cat but takes much longer. we were in the emergency vets exam room when it worked its magic...everywhere
should have told the tech...ehh were good now nevermind. nope cost me lots of $
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I hope everything works out for your pal...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top