Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2012 10:31:32 AM EDT
Was the space shuttle door gunner an Arfcom creation or does it have a history elsewhere (military, Internet)?
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The position was created when the USAF entered the space shuttle program back in the 80s......
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The position was created when the USAF entered the space shuttle program back in the 80s......

That was my MOS, 911BadAss.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#3]
No gunners on the Shuttle, but the Soviets' Salyut program is a different story.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No gunners on the Shuttle, but the Soviets' Salyut program is a different story.

You don't know wtf your talking about
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

No gunners on the Shuttle
, but the Soviets' Salyut program is a different story.

Whatever. Just keep drinking in the Kool-Aid.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#6]
It came about the same time the Air Force created the position "in flight missile mechanic".
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Shuttle door gunner? That ain't shit.
We have Ranger SEALs, Force Recon Rangers, Special Forces Marines and Airforce BJs on ARFCOM
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]
True story:

About six years ago, I was involved with a NASA program to encourage students to pursue a career in space/technology/robotics.  Part of that program meant that we visited NASA for a weekend and had several guest speakers.  Engineers, Technicians, Scientists and even Shuttle Crew all came to give presentations and wander through the student groups.

I ate lunch with a Shuttle pilot.  I have his signed picture on my wall in my office.

Over lunch I asked him, "Sir, I would like to know if the door gunner slot on your crew is open? If so, I would like to offer my services."  Straight-faced.  Deadpanned it.

After a half second he laughed and said I was the first person to ever ask for that.

I got the handshake and commitment to join the crew.

I never got the call, and with the Shuttle's retirement, I never will.

The only solace I take is that when the conversation ever comes up around here, I was actually offered the job of Space Shuttle Doorgunner.  No shit.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe the position was created in case the shuttle had to re-enter the atmosphere over hostile territory.  Why do you think these guys are so bad ass?  They can survive re-entry hanging out an open door.  That's why they get mad respect, yo.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

True story:

About six years ago, I was involved with a NASA program to encourage students to pursue a career in space/technology/robotics.  Part of that program meant that we visited NASA for a weekend and had several guest speakers.  Engineers, Technicians, Scientists and even Shuttle Crew all came to give presentations and wander through the student groups.

I ate lunch with a Shuttle pilot.  I have his signed picture on my wall in my office.

Over lunch I asked him, "Sir, I would like to know if the door gunner slot on your crew is open? If so, I would like to offer my services."  Straight-faced.  Deadpanned it.

After a half second he laughed and said I was the first person to ever ask for that.

The only solace I take is that when the conversation ever comes up around here, I was actually offered the job of Space Shuttle Doorgunner.  No shit.

TRG

Now that is 125% pure awesome.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Johnson Space Center, early 2009

/No shop, check the pixels

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was the space shuttle door gunner an Arfcom creation or does it have a history elsewhere (military, Internet)?

As far as I know it's just a parody that started on here (no idea by who) in reference to people who play themselves up and exaggerate or even invent some sort of prestigious military position or job.

However there is this:

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#14]
It began in the 60s with the MOL program...

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as I know it's just a parody that started on here (no idea by who) in reference to people who play themselves up and exaggerate or even event some sort of prestigious military position or job.

However there is this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/He219/more%20pics/6465179.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5060/5486483454_7a3ed2c4ae_z.jpg

http://www.dfwstangs.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10013/normal_1242132.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/Pat_Sajac/Rotors/nasauh1h2.jpg

Thank you for answering my original question.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone who stands still is a well-disciplined cosmonaut.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as I know it's just a parody that started on here (no idea by who) in reference to people who play themselves up and exaggerate or even event some sort of prestigious military position or job.

However there is this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/He219/more%20pics/6465179.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5060/5486483454_7a3ed2c4ae_z.jpg
http://www.dfwstangs.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10013/normal_1242132.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/Pat_Sajac/Rotors/nasauh1h2.jpg

Thank you for answering my original question.  

No problem, and I meant invent and not event (corrected in my original post).
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I didn't bother with the space shuttle door gunner position i went straight for the tier 1, super cool guy,special ops space station door gunner. You can only get a chance at that position after serving as a Capt. in the salvation army and then volunteering for the 87th chairborne recon ranger marine seals.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Back in the 80s we used tell people we were space shuttle door gunners when they asked about the SCUBA badge on our uniforms...

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
True story:

TRG

Yeah, yeah. Whatever, buddy. You're like that guy I know who swears he got accepted to go to BUD/S but then his mom got sick.

Poser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top