Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/19/2012 4:00:31 PM EDT
Flight Blindness
Why F-35 pilots suddenly have the jitters.

BY R. JEFFREY SMITH AND THE CENTER FOR PUBLIC INTEGRITY | JUNE 18, 2012

A host of problems plague the military's newest jet fighter, the F-35, but one of the simplest yet most troublesome is identified in a new government audit as unreadable "symbology."

The problem exists inside a small item at the heart of what makes the F-35 the world's most sophisticated aircraft –– if only it could be made to work. Namely, the pilot's helmet visor. On the world's most advanced, fifth-generation military aircraft, the visor is meant to be much more than a sun shield. It is supposed to do wondrous things.

Acting like a small, see-through movie screen, it is designed to display data showing how the plane is performing, where enemy targets are, and which weapons the pilot can use to handle them. As the pilot swivels his head, the display is meant to adapt, creating a direct link –– as in a science-fiction movie –– between the pilot and the aircraft's unprecedented computing power.

The visor is, according to the Government Accountability Office's latest annual report on the F-35's development, "integral to the mission systems architecture." In other words, the plane was more or less designed around the unique capabilities of that fancy helmet appendage.

Just one problem: It doesn't work. In flight tests, the visor's "symbology" has evidently been unreadable, because the plane itself has been bouncing up and down in the air more than expected. The effect is probably like trying to read an e-book while riding a bicycle along a boulder-strewn path.

"Display jitter," the GAO report says in a footnote, "is the undesired shaking of display, making symbology unreadable ... [due to] worse than expected vibrations, known as aircraft buffet."

Unfortunately for the plane's designers, jitter and buffeting are only part of the problems undermining the visor's use. The others are a persistent delay in displaying key sensor data –– making the visor symbols outdated as the aircraft streaks through the air at speeds up to 1,200 mph –– and an inability to show night vision readings properly.

So what's the big deal? It's just a visor. Well, the GAO report says "these shortfalls may lead to a helmet unable to fully meet warfighter requirements –– unsuitable for flight tasks and weapons delivery, as well as creating an unmanageable pilot workload, and may place limitations on the [F-35's] operational environment."

In short, if the visor doesn't work, the plane may not be able to do all the impressive things that the Pentagon is spending more than $1.5 trillion –– over the next 30 or so years –– to make it do.
The GAO said this alarm was sounded by the program officials interviewed by its investigators.

A new visor is under development, at an estimated cost of just $80 million, so the Air Force may have a backup if the original visor's kinks cannot be worked out. But according to the GAO, the alternate visor won't be as capable. An Air Force spokesman did not respond to a request for comment, but DODBuzz.com quoted the F-35 program director in March as promising that the helmet troubles are "being addressed."

The director, Vice Adm. David Venlet, told a defense conference that the plane was just having "normal teething problems."

A few things went well for the F-35 program last year. A version being made for the Marines, capable of short takeoffs and landings, "performed better than expected" in flight tests. And the Air Force was able to double the number of test flights it performed the previous year. The volume of changes made to engineering drawings of the plane's components every month –– even while the plane is in early production –– has started to decline.

But there wasn't a lot of other good news in the report. Although the program was extensively restructured by senior Pentagon officials last year, by adding many millions of dollars and stretching out key deadlines, it still managed to meet only six of its eleven objectives for the period. Many of these goals were administrative. Among the uncompleted tasks: an interim upgrade of the plane's software and a redesign of its tailhook.

The plane has had no difficulty being launched by catapults, a key prerequisite for its use by the Navy aboard aircraft carriers. But so far, it has not been able to use its tailhook to catch a cable and stop suddenly –– which is also, well, crucial for operations on an aircraft carrier. Generally speaking, Navy pilots need a place to land when their missions are complete.

Venlet has called the tailhook troubles "a damping-bouncing issue" that could not have been foreseen. It is being redesigned, but the GAO warns that "other aircraft structural modifications may also be required." The discovery of cracks in the plane's bulkhead, an upright wall in its fuselage, will require costly repairs, and other parts are showing unexpectedly early signs of wear. Flight tests so far have shown "different structural loads than predicted," the GAO disclosed, a sure sign that unplanned work lies ahead. "Aircraft reliability and parts shortages" contributed to testing shortfalls last year.

continued at link

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Another Pentagon Blunder / Money PIT !!! ????

Osprey , C5A  Galaxy , Even the Apache to some degree .

We have to wait and see on this one I guess .

As my uncle would say about typical Big govt programs .... " A Money Burner "
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing works well right out of the gate.

Nice thing about software problems and helmet problems is they don't have to rebuild the damned planes to fix them.

And what I've seen about that visor suggests that it really is a game changer.  It makes a holographic HUD look like a blindfold.

(I'd rather have more F-22's, but that's a different argument.)
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nothing works well right out of the gate.

Nice thing about software problems and helmet problems is they don't have to rebuild the damned planes to fix them.

And what I've seen about that visor suggests that it really is a game changer.  It makes a holographic HUD look like a blindfold.

If they can ever get it to work.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#4]
So what's wrong with a HUD?
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Shrug.  For everything that's ever worked there's always been a stage at which it did not.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The simple version is that a HUD is only useful if you're looking straight ahead.

The F-35's visor is intended to provide the pilot with a HUD no matter where they're looking, including down through the plane itself.  As a result, if you're flying straight, and someone launches a SAM at you from directly under you, the visor might give you an indicator and a graphic.  You glance down, and instead of seeing your legs or your seat or your plane itself, you see a simple 3D graphic of the ground below, with a tracking marker around a representation of the missile.  Or if you're in a dogfight with four enemy planes, you can glance toward each of them and immediately pick them out because they have a tracking marker overlaid on them, probably with some data about them like vector and identity and such.  And it's very easy to add lines to the display pointing to the various threats beyond field of view.

It's really a tricky concept to get your head around, and much of it only makes sense if you've ever flown or have a very good imagination.  I suppose flying planes in games like Battlefield 3 or whatever will give you the same sense of how limited a pilot's situational awareness normally is at close range, but I'm unaware of any simulator that demonstrates capabilities like the visor has.

And I think they've got a pretty tight lock on the full capabilities due to secrecy, so a lot of it is just speculation.  But the few comments I've heard are that, when it works, it's unbelievable.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's what all that actually looks like.  You can skip to 4:00 for the helmet-specific stuff.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The F35 Money Shark
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Ever look at an LCD alarm clock while brushing your teeth with an electric toothbrush?  Same principle applies.  The engineers were (are) morons.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ever look at an LCD alarm clock while brushing your teeth with an electric toothbrush?  Same principle applies.  The engineers were (are) morons.

That's my thought as well.  What, did they offshore this stuff to India or something?  How did the project leads not think this one through?  I'm certain that some of the juniors raised their hands and said "uhh, guys, planes shake..." and the seniors said "hush, little boys, your betters are talking."

But the issue should be surmountable.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my thought as well.  What, did they offshore this stuff to India or something?  How did the project leads not think this one through?  I'm certain that some of the juniors raised their hands and said "uhh, guys, planes shake..." and the seniors said "hush, little boys, your betters are talking."

But the issue should be surmountable.

But that isn't the only issue. The data lag time is also making the data displayed on the visor useless.

Unfortunately for the plane's designers, jitter and buffeting are only part of the problems undermining the visor's use. The others are a persistent delay in displaying key sensor data –– making the visor symbols outdated as the aircraft streaks through the air at speeds up to 1,200 mph –– and an inability to show night vision readings properly.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not after talking to my AF buddy that was very close to the program.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#13]
$100 camcorders have anti-jitter tech, I have a feeling this can be fixed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#14]
All of the camera manufacturers have licensed some sort of stabilization firmware for their displays......
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#15]
More stuff on the 35 is failing or not working as told by LM.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Doesn't work if you're not looking straight ahead...
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#17]
WTF!

I wasn't even in this thread when I posted the A/C system reply.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Camcorders don't travel at well above the speed of sound and through turbulence. The fact that the Air Force is spending $80 million developing a less capable back up visor doesn't exactly instill confidence that they are making progress on the problem.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey it wouldn't an american plane if we didn't spend at least a trillion dollars on it, then try for about 10yrs to make it work, only to be scraped because it has been surpassed by current technology.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#20]
The air refueling recepticle is having issues as well. KC135s and KC10s are no longer allowed to refuel them, with the exception of certain test flight squadrons. F-22 FTW.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Camcorders don't travel at well above the speed of sound and through turbulence. The fact that the Air Force is spending $80 million developing a less capable back up visor doesn't exactly instill confidence that they are making progress on the problem.

This is a problem that wants to be fixed so badly that it will be, no matter what.

Imagine having the same capability while sitting inside a tank, or in a submarine, or in an air traffic control tower.

ETA: Google Glasses seem to have solved this issue already.  And Google won't turn down LM engineers if the federal government threatens to pull every government contract and protection.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah AF not too happy about maintenance to flight hours. Least that's what a guy said last year. Boeing probably worked out some of the operational issues by now.

I never have gotten the mind set of people bitching about programs like these.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Ad Astra Per Aspera.

Problems will come up when you're trying to do something that's never been done before.  They can be fixed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a problem that wants to be fixed so badly that it will be, no matter what.

Imagine having the same capability while sitting inside a tank, or in a submarine, or in an air traffic control tower.

Or, more likely, they'll fail to fix it, announce that they have fixed it, go ahead with production, and put our pilots at risk in order to save the politicized boondoggle that the F-35 has become.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Additionally, you don't wear camorders on your head.  The head has much less vertical shock absorption than the arms.  The vibration transfer is immediate with a helmet.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#26]
How is this different from what the AH-64's use?
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Flight Blindness

Just one problem: It doesn't work. In flight tests, the visor's "symbology" has evidently been unreadable, because the plane itself has been bouncing up and down in the air more than expected. The effect is probably like trying to read an e-book while riding a bicycle along a boulder-strewn path.[/span]
[/span]

continued at link

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah AF not too happy about maintenance to flight hours. Least that's what a guy said last year. Boeing probably worked out some of the operational issues by now.

First, the F-22 is Lockheed Martin's baby.  However, Boeing was a prime contractor for the life support system, wings, and aft fuselage.

Second, the airplanes belong to the USAF.  The USAF works out its own operational problems, sometimes civilian contractors may be hired to aid.

The reason people bitch about these latest fighter airplane programs is the egregious cost and extraordinarily late schedules (which causes cost increases).  Not only are the airplanes years late, they are decades late to full operational capability with the ability to fly over hostile beaches.

We should all be amazed that our country has so much wealth that we can sponsor all these projects across DoD.  That doesn't mean we have to agree with the waste, and there's more than you can imagine if you aren't working in the industry.

it's kind of like watching sausage being made.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here's what all that actually looks like.  You can skip to 4:00 for the helmet-specific stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fm5vfGW5RY

ho-lee-shit. That is some videogame shit. I'm not so butthurt about federal withholdings for the time being.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#31]
MK262 quotes a left-wing "think tank" to criticize the F35 program.  

I'm so shocked.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flight Blindness

Just one problem: It doesn't work. In flight tests, the visor's "symbology" has evidently been unreadable, because the plane itself has been bouncing up and down in the air more than expected. The effect is probably like trying to read an e-book while riding a bicycle along a boulder-strewn path.[/span]
[/span]

continued at link

http://thisdistractedglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/boondock-saints-1999-willem-dafoe-pic-3.jpg

I believe the word you're looking for is "symbolism".  SYMBOLISM.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Another Pentagon Blunder / Money PIT !!! ????

Osprey , C5A Galaxy , Even the Apache to some degree .

We have to wait and see on this one I guess .

As my uncle would say about typical Big govt programs .... " A Money Burner "

... horseshit!

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#34]
UCAVs are the future.  Question will really be discreet and hyper lethal or cheap swarms that overwhelm.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#35]
What I have always found fascinating, is that if they're willing to disclose this information on technology and finances, what top secret shit is going on that we won't hear about for another 10 years, and how much is that costing us?

Now excuse me while I go put on my tin-foil hat!
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

With the F-35's sensor/visor suite the pilot can "see" through the entire aircraft and cue the weapons systems.  It can fire missiles backwards!  I think this is also a night vision system as well.  It really is a game changer...if they can get it to work consistently...

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm so shocked.

"Left wing think tank"???

Again you prove you have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#38]
F-35 is the best Russian plot, ever.

Meanwhile, 3 years from concept to wheels-up:

Procurement in the US is irrevocably broken.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What I have always found fascinating, is that if they're willing to disclose this information on technology and finances, what top secret shit is going on that we won't hear about for another 10 years, and how much is that costing us?

Now excuse me while I go put on my tin-foil hat!

Most of the technology that goes into the Money Shark are Top Secret/Special Access Programs.  It is going to require almost everyone the squadron to have a TS clearance and the heightened levels of security associated with the Aircaft have not really been programed in, so the current fly away cost does not include all the security upgrades necessary once the aircraft are fielded (which is quite a bit if you know how much MilCon costs, a building easily goes into the 10s if not 100s of millions)
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The aircraft itself is top notch, the O2 supply is what is causing problems.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm so shocked.

"Left wing think tank"???

Again you prove you have no idea what you are talking about.

So, any "think tank" George Soros contributes to must be truly objective

Really, it's not that hard to figure out.  A reference site as generic as Wiki-no friend of conservative ideology-admits left wing bias, backed up by documented financial disclosure-yet you deny the obvious.

Keep digging that hole.  College students do it all the time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
With the F-35's sensor/visor suite the pilot can "see" through the entire aircraft and cue the weapons systems.  It can fire missiles backwards!  I think this is also a night vision system as well.  It really is a game changer...if they can get it to work consistently...

Could it be that the technology just isn't there yet to make it work consistently? I truly believe that we are expecting too much at one time out of this design. It seems that we are trying to go from fourth generation fighters to 6th generation in one step.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

But that translates to $1,00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 in Pentagon money.

Seriously, look it up.  It's like dog-years.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, the F-22 is Lockheed Martin's baby.  However, Boeing was a prime contractor for the life support system, wings, and aft fuselage.

Second, the airplanes belong to the USAF.  The USAF works out its own operational problems, sometimes civilian contractors may be hired to aid.

The reason people bitch about these latest fighter airplane programs is the egregious cost and extraordinarily late schedules (which causes cost increases).  Not only are the airplanes years late, they are decades late to full operational capability with the ability to fly over hostile beaches.

We should all be amazed that our country has so much wealth that we can sponsor all these projects across DoD.  That doesn't mean we have to agree with the waste, and there's more than you can imagine if you aren't working in the industry.

Quoted:
How is this different from what the AH-64's use?

Completely different concept.  The image in the helmet is integrated from sensors under windows scattered over the outside of the airplane, plus the instrument panel information that's needed.

The pilot sees the world around him as if he's flying in a transparent airplane.

Wonder Woman had that shit licked years ago.  Time for LM to unfuck this shit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

F-35 is the best Russian plot, ever.

Meanwhile, 3 years from concept to wheels-up:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/A12-flying.jpg/800px-A12-flying.jpg

Procurement in the US is irrevocably broken.

Not 3 years. Lockheed had layouts and analysis of the airplane in 1958; they had a head start. But still, the point you're making is valid.

Well, 4 years then.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#47]

If you don't support $15,000 toilet seats, $12,000 gaskets, and $400 hammers, you hate America.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm not buying that aircraft have issues or bugs that need to be worked out after they are certified and safe to fly.  No aircraft is entirely perfect but if the system is designed to be your primary then it should have gone through a rigorous process to be deemed satisfactory to field.  

I install and test new systems on commercial aircraft often and the very first aircraft has to have a supplemental type certificate validated through testing after that system is installed before it is put into service.

What I see here is an aircraft that is over budget and rushed into production.  Don't tell me that the first few aircraft fielded were working great and had zero problems with this helmet system.

Edit:  After reading the whole article the whole project was a cluster fuck with no help from political intervention.

The director, Vice Adm. David Venlet, told a defense conference that the plane was just having "normal teething problems."

The civilian aviation world has its problems such as the Boeing 787 and its logistical problems but the military can spend and spend even more tax payer money without even having a product that can't even fill its primary role.  The good thing is a back up helmet is in the works that can't perform like the first one and will only cost $80 million.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Additionally, you don't wear camorders on your head.  The head has much less vertical shock absorption than the arms.  The vibration transfer is immediate with a helmet.

Ummmmmmmmmmm.........You might want to rethink that.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The aircraft itself is top notch, the O2 supply is what is causing problems.

Not at all what he was telling me as an insider. Squadrons grounded because they couldn't identify the root cause of some problems. I'm sure I don't remember all of the specifics but it didn't sound pretty.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top