Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2012 6:21:42 PM EDT
About a month ago I purchased a 10" gong target from qualitytargets.com.

Here is the email correspondence between me and their customer service:

GAZ32 Jun 11 (7 days ago) to Qualitytargets
Hello,

I purchased a 10" 3/8 ar500 gong from you guys about a month ago. I've shot .308, 7.62x54, 5.7x28, 9mm, and .45 with zero problems. Yesterday I took it out and shot .308 at 180 and 400 yards, however whenever I started shooting federal m193 at 100 yards it put huge dents in the plate and one round cut all the way through it at the bottom right hand side. I know for a fact that I have zero m855, so they weren't steel core. My rifle is a LaRue Stealth with 18" barrel.

I didn't know what could cause this other than the plate must not be uniform. I can send pictures if need be.

Thanks

Qualitytargets Jun 11 (7 days ago) to GAZ32
Sorry but there's nothing I can do, we have no control how the target is
used. I would not shoot any more of the M193s which I have no idea is.

-Guy at Qualitytargets

Jun 11 (7 days ago) to Qualitytargets
QT,

I completely understand that you have no control over how the target is used. If I wanted to buy one of your targets and use it for scud middle testing, then I wouldn't be emailing you because obviously your targets aren't rated for that. But when there's a problem because of an inconsistency in your product, I would hope that you'd stand behind it.
Here's a quote from the website:

Customer Service

Quality Target's customer service goal is simple: We are committed to providing our customers total satisfaction. Every time. Guaranteed.

Your mission is simple enough, and is the lifeblood for many companies around the world: commitment to our customers TOTAL satisfaction.

I capitalized "total" because in your email you tried to denounce your own goal. I'm not satisfied. Not one bit.

GAZ32Jun 13 (5 days ago) Qualitytargets
QT,

I still see that you have not replied to my email even when I state my discontent with one of your company's products.

Your direct attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

GAZ32 Jun 16 (2 days ago) to Qualitytargets
I have contacted you on several occasions to try and work out this problem with one of your products. The time to deal with it is now.

Attached are two pictures of the target in question. Picture 11 shows a low view where you can see the hole as well as the other divots in the steel. Picture 22 shows the back of the target where there are dents in the back as well as the other side of the hole.

Your inability to deal with customer's problems reflects poorly on you and your company as a whole. I would suggest taking the time out of your schedule to devote to actually helping and providing customers with a level of satisfaction that is synonymous with good business. As I see it now you should ask whoever handles your IT to remove the Customer Service tab on your website. While they are at it, they should take your old business goal and replace it with something more fitting: "We are committed to providing our customers total satisfaction 0% of the time. If you ever have a problem with one of our products, it's never our fault. We will stop at nothing to make sure we don't return e-mails or answer our phone. Every time. Guaranteed." That sounds about right.

I would really appreciate if you would get back to me at your earliest convenience.

Here's the target in question.
Photo 11

Photo 22

If that's at 100+ yards, would it look like swiss cheese at 50?

Basically this guy told me to fuck off and go pound sand. I think I'm more mad since I tried several times to contact him to no avail.

I don't think that's a way to handle customer service, so I won't ever be placing an order with them again.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, looks like a steel core round went through it.

Hope they take care of you.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]
So it will stop a 308 @ 180 yd, but a 55gr 5.56 punched right through it?
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Speed kills steel.

I use 3/8 ar400 for targets
My 308 load is 175 gr at 2650 no damage
223 75 gr at 2800 starts to dimple
223 55 gr at 3200 goes through

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't shoot that gong with .223 at 100 yards. Not surprising the bullets dented/went through it even with no steel core.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy another one. It is not their fault you shot a hole through it.

Don't use that ammo in the future.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn dude that looks like AP
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
If that is supposed to be AR 500, someone is on crack.  Hell I've shot 3/8" AR500 with 30-06 AP at 100yds, with a solid backstop, (not swinging) and it just takes a chip out of the AR500.....  And that is a actual AP round....

I've threw all the 5.56 I've had at my plates @100yds, and they may leave a little dimple that is it....

That other cratering on the plates doesn't look right either
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#8]
M193 shouldn't even dimple AR500 steel, at any range, much less put holes in it.

The only way I've been able to really put a noticeable dent into my 1/2" AR500 was to shoot it at ~40 yards with the .416 Rigby.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had fantastic service from MGM. Sorry to hear about the lousy service you're getting and I'll make note as I'll be getting another target this fall. And yes, IMO you are being treated poorly as a customer.

-JC
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#10]
All of those divots were with m193.

All were shot at 100+ yards.

If it's my fault, then why advertise AR500 steel when .223 rounds cut through it like butter in a certain area? Velocity should be less than 2800 at 100 yards+.

Their rules:
SAFETY RULES FOR SHOOTING STEEL TARGETS:

General Warnings and Disclaimer:
1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction. DONE
2. Don't Rely On Your Guns Safety. DONE
3. Be Sure Of Your Target and What's Beyond It. DONE
4. Use Correct Ammunition. DONE
5. Do not fire high powered rifles at targets closer than 100 yards. DONE
6. Do not fire small bore guns at targets closer than 40 yards. N/A
7. Minimum recommended distance with a handgun and standard lead ammunition is 15 yards. N/A
8. Do not fire air guns at targets closer than 12 yards.  N/A
9. Always wear wrap-around eye protection and proper hearing protection. DONE
10. Discontinue use of target if it becomes disfigured, deformed, or damaged in any way. DONE
11. Never ever use armor-piercing, steel-core, or other hardened ammunition. DONE
12. Never ever use steel shot, pellets, BB’s. N/A
13. Never use ammunition that exceeds the target’s scope of design. DONE
14. Always use high quality steel targets specifically designed for heavy duty use. SUPPOSEDLY
15. Never use steel targets for purposes outside their scope of design. DONE

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Le bump.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top