Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/9/2012 8:21:42 PM EDT
Neighborhood strays are getting thick again, tomcats were fighting on my front porch and sounded awful. A few years ago we trapped something like 85 over the summer in a small animal trap and took em to the shelter...all but 3 had no tags. I don't want to mess with that again. I'm tempted to use subsonic .22's but that may not be entirely legal. Is airsoft enough or should I get a really good air rifle?

P.S. It's an excuse to buy another toy too

eta: airsoft was considered JUST as a possibility to let kitty know he's not welcome and keep away,  but is no longer an option.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Airsoft is not going to kill a cat.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're talking about actually offing cats, you're about to get raped, son.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Airsoft is for fun, not killing. Get a BB gun.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#4]
50 BMG

Just to be sure

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#5]
airsoft is just gonna sting and scare em off
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#7]
You need a pellet gun to kill stray cats. BB only guns are far too weak for that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Setup a feeding zone, then POW with a claymore

You might get an unwanted surprise for killing stray cats

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're in town killing is probably not a good option.  How about motion activated sprinklers?

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
20 gauge slug
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Airsoft is for fun, not killing. Get a BB gun.

With airsoft he might be able to shoot the cats eyes out though.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#13]
frozen paintballs?
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#14]
been using an old red ryder bb gun an it scares em off for the night, but they're back again the next. It's pretty old, was my first so the springs may be well worn, maybe something a little higher powered would make em remember more?

Killing them, noone said anything about killing them...but if they happen to die later from pellet inflicted wounds I wouldn't be sad. I was about to pull the trigger(pun intended) on a high powered pellet gun earlier on amazon but thought I'd try something else first. Escalation of force and all that. Neighbors want them gone as bad as I do so I'm not too concerned about repercussions.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#16]

very nice but I'd prefer to keep it under $100 unless looking at something like this

$160 but will take care of other pests as well

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Fuck that I've used this before it works.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/products_id/5477

Blanks + AR15 withouth BFA = loud as fuck
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Avoid a BB gun!  It will lodge the BB between the epidermis and dermis of the cat, leaving it open for infection.    Airsoft is just as bad!

Really, get a bad ass Super Soaker, and know that you are seriously pissing the cats off by getting them soaked.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#19]
for a big feral tom you will need to shoot them in the head to reliably kill them, even with a .22, a airsoft gun, no way and a cheap pellet gun is not far behind.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#20]
.460 Wby Mag.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I use 22 long rifles and high powered spring pellet rifles to kill feral cats.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i48.tinypic.com/a9xpq0.png

Well, this thread hasn't gone quite as I expected.....

It seems my comment may have been a bit premature....
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Bowfishing bow so you can reel the bitch in and throw it into the trash instead it running off and dieing in the neighbors yard.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

most realize that there is a difference between a feral cat and family's kitty.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#25]
In for the rape.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just messing around. With the cat and dog avatars, figured I'd have some fun.

Nobody takes me serious anywhere else but here.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
frozen paintballs?

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I should add that the little bastards left claw marks on the hood of my car recently, I routinely come out to dirty paw prints and didn't mind too much till I saw the scratches. Luckily it didn't get through the clearcoat. Hence the extreme dislike

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.mindcontroll.com/imagearchive/images/1441.jpg

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Call it what it is: Culling.

I love cats and dogs. Even strays. But when you get a cat epidemic, or a pack of feral dogs around, etc., sometimes you simply have to thin the herd. Doesn't mean someone has to laugh and joke about it, but it's necessary.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.mindcontroll.com/imagearchive/images/1441.jpg

Damn! Now it's there. WTF?  

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I love cats and dogs. Even strays. But when you get a cat epidemic, or a pack of feral dogs around, etc., sometimes you simply have to thin the herd. Doesn't mean someone has to laugh and joke about it, but it's necessary.

Understood.

Uncontrolled, feral "pet" animals can do a lot of damage.

We "cull" all manner of pest and predator animals.

I love my pets, but  truthfully don't see a difference, unless it's clear the animal was a pet someone dumped.

I just didn't see the thread going this way.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood.

Uncontrolled, feral "pet" animals can do a lot of damage.

We "cull" all manner of pest and predator animals.

I love my pets, but  truthfully don't see a difference, unless it's clear the animal was a pet someone dumped.

I just didn't see the thread going this way.

I must admit, I'veade some pretty amazing (lucky?) shots with the ole Mini-14 on some feral tomcats that were tearing up our barn cats.

Show a gif of a Japanese woman in heels stomping a kitten though, and bend on over.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#35]
gamo springer pellet gun. 1000 fps! will drop a BIG squirrel first shot.not loud and cost is minimal. i love mine for taking out squirrels in my back yard.have a bushnelle rimfire 3x9 scope on it. damn squirrels drive my beagle nuts, he goes apeshit when they run through the tree in my back yard. mine will put pellet after pellet in a 1 inch circle @25 yards all day long. best shot was a dove on a phone line @ 60 yards. just a puff of feathers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Airsoft is not going to kill a cat.  

Fire. Kill it with fire. Have you learned nothing on ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#37]
If you got about 85 cats in one summer someone is feeding them. Feral cat populations don't get that big any other way and if someone is feeding them those are their precious little babies no matter how diseased and vicious they are. I'd stick with just trapping them and letting animal control do the dirty work unless you feel like turning into the animal killing gun nut the media will portray you as if they ever caught wind of it.

To those who would talk shit about the OP, have you ever been near a large feral cat colony? As soon as you get anywhere near one you know it because everything smells like shit and wet dirty cat. If my house was anywhere near the smaller ones I've seen like 20-30 cats, I'd kill every cat and the bitch feeding them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#38]
so the consensus seems to be 1) supersoaker if death is not the answer or 2) high power pellet gun if kitty needs the dirt nap (no firearms, don't want to wake the neighbors shooting at midnight)

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Gamo makes some pretty good spring powered air guns that are capable of killing a cat, just have to keep the ranges within about 40 yards to reliable drop them on the spot.  Good luck and thank you for doing a much needed community service.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What's the difference between him shooting them vs taking them to the pound where they're gonna get the needle?

.223 w/45grain hollowpoints
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

If you got about 85 cats in one summer someone is feeding them. Feral cat populations don't get that big any other way and if someone is feeding them those are their precious little babies no matter how diseased and vicious they are. I'd stick with just trapping them and letting animal control do the dirty work unless you feel like turning into the animal killing gun nut the media will portray you as if they ever caught wind of it.

To those who would talk shit about the OP, have you ever been near a large feral cat colony? As soon as you get anywhere near one you know it because everything smells like shit and wet dirty cat. If my house was anywhere near the smaller ones I've seen like 20-30 cats, I'd kill every cat and the bitch feeding them.

If I could find who was feeding them I would do something about that quick fast an in a hurry. My cousin had a lady down the street that would just put a open big bag of cat food on the front porch

I'm not going to mess with driving to the shelter 2-3 times a week this summer

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
so the consensus seems to be 1) supersoaker if death is not the answer or 2) high power pellet gun if kitty needs the dirt nap (no firearms, don't want to wake the neighbors shooting at midnight)

yes, go to gamo's website and check them out. they make .22 cal airguns as well. some hit 1400 fps.thats better than my ar15/22.

edit: the 1400 fps number i got from the dude i bought the air rifle from who said the pre chaged ones can hit 1400 not the spring pistons. sorry
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

most realize that there is a difference between a feral cat and family's kitty.

More than likely they just haven't read past the thread title.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Just keep in mind the Gamo rifles are not as quiet as they let on.  They are quieter than a 22 but they do make some noise.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, go to gamo's website and check them out. they make .22 cal airguns as well. some hit 1400 fps.thats better than my ar15/22.

thanks, is the included scope at least halfway decent?

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#47]
this is the model i have. i did upgrade the trigger and glass but this will get the job done in stock trim.i like the fixed barrel over break barrel. they make a whisper rifle with some sound dampening built into the end. bought mine used with the adjustable charle detuna trigger for $175.less than 1 pound trigger pull

http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=60
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the difference between him shooting them vs taking them to the pound where they're gonna get the needle?

.223 w/45grain hollowpoints

Read on.....
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Pellet gun, get the high power Gamos not that weak ass beeman. You wanna kill them right? not injure them.  Head shots ONLY.  Most ethical shot on the bastards.  Right between the eyes or right between the eye and the ear if its broadside.  WARNING, they may do the headshot dance after you blast them
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Cats definitely have an impressive headshot dance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top