Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2012 4:13:21 PM EDT
I've always been an Oakley fan. Literally for as long as I can remember. I've owned 11 pairs over the years and have always been satisfied with them. The most recent pair that I bought was a pair of Half X about 2 years ago. I bought them to replace my X Metal XX's that I lost, which at the time were my favorite glasses. The Half X took some getting used to but it wasn't long before I found myself reaching for them over my X Metal XX's. (yes, I purchased another pair of the Metal XX's. Had to search hi and lo though because they had been discontinued. Then when I did find a pair, trust me, I paid a premium price for them.)

So, I had the half X's for 2 years and they became my go to glasses. 2 weeks ago I got to put them on my face and the right hinge breaks in two. "FUCK" if you can imagine. So I call Oakley to see about getting replacement parts. The customer service rep informs me that Oakley does not deal with replacements parts. To fix my glasses I would have to purchase an entire new frame, which usually costs about half the price of the glasses. These glasses were $400 2 years ago. So you can imagine my disbelief that I am going to have to spend $200 to get my glasses fixed. At this point, after a few choice words, I'm so disgusted that I'm hanging up, as words are still coming out of my mouth. :)

So I sit on it for another week and decide that I am going to bite the bullet and fix them. I like them that much. So called Oakley back today and start the process. They transfer me to the warranty/repair department where they are supposed to let me know how much it is going to cost to fix. The repair guy comes and and instantly regrets to inform me that the glasses that I have were discontinued and they do not make the frames for them anymore. But if I was interested in another pair, I could get 25% off a new pair of glasses if I wish.

So, I've come to conclusion that I will never purchase another pair of Oakleys, or any Oakley product for that matter, until they start giving a shit about their customer support. Support your fuckin products or give up the fuckin business.

So my last resort is some JB Weld. Hope this works out.

Hope none of you have had this same problem with Oakley. And learn from my mistakes, STAY AWAY FROM OAKLEY.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always felt Oakleys were VASTLY overrated. Cheap plastic sunglasses for only a few hundred bucks. Give me Ray Bans every time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Costa Dildoed me on my lenses . I went to oakley and if I break them Ill buy another pair

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya, and I'm.never buying another Ford because they don't support the model T anymore!

Hey bro, shits discontinued, do you just expect them to miracle you some new parts?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I've worn Oakleys long before it was "Tier 1" to wear them. My old Frogskins were the bomb in HS.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The military line's a price I'm willing to pay, I won't buy the retail ones.
I prefer the matte black and subdued accents over the glossy commercial ones anyway.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, 11 pairs? I'm on my third since 2001, and still have the older two. And  got some lenses and ear tubes for my a-wires 2 years ago, and they had been discontinued for some time at that point.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Noted.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#8]
So you have had 11 pairs over the years and one happens to break(which you apparently wear all the time for over 2 years).  It is a discontinued item but you still demand it, even though they don't have it?

Sounds like a personal problem on your end...

Just my opinion.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've always felt Oakleys were VASTLY overrated. Cheap plastic sunglasses for only a few hundred bucks. Give me Ray Bans every time.

I agree. I have 2 pairs of Oakley and 2 pairs of ray bans, the oakleys always pit on the lense after I get salt water or chlorine on them. The ray bans never do.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Do they still make Juliettes? I need work done on mine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a pair of Oakleys that I wear on the jobsites for the impact rating.

Other than that they're pretty much useless is you ask me.

Costa Del Mar or Maui Jim FTMFW
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

this

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I just sent mine in for a tuneup and new lenses early this year. Cost around $100.

ETA: took them around 3 weeks to get them back to me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ya, and I'm.never buying another Ford because they don't support the model T anymore!

Hey bro, shits discontinued, do you just expect them to miracle you some new parts?

Doesn't Caterpillar run on being able to get like any part they ever made? I know they are awesome about their current stuff if you need it NOW.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes. Of all my sunglasses, those are my personal favorites. My GF gave them to me for my birthday the first year we were together.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I have three pairs of Oakley currently; my vintage M-frames that served with me in Iraq in 2003; use those for the range, since I have the "array" set with clear and VR28 lenses. My current duty Half Jackets with Fire Iridium lenses (which are no longer made) and my titanium Square Wires with Silver Iridium Polarized lenses, which I got cheap via Steep & Cheap, also no longer made.

Thinking of adding a pair of Infinite hero Split-Jackets...

The Infinite Hero Foundation is dedicated to honoring and empowering those who exemplify the highest virtues of courage and heroism. A non-profit 501©(3) organization, the foundation uses funds from the public to further its mission of providing aid and supportive services to members of the military community who have made heroic sacrifices to protect our freedoms. With your purchase of this special edition Infinite Hero product, Oakley will provide 15% of its net proceeds to the Foundation.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The military line's a price I'm willing to pay, I won't buy the retail ones.
I prefer the matte black and subdued accents over the glossy commercial ones anyway.

Kharn

Agreed, then again I wouldn't spend more than $50-$75 on any pair of sunglasses because I am pretty hard on them and they don't tend to last more than a year or two.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. I have 2 pairs of Oakley and 2 pairs of ray bans, the oakleys always pit on the lense after I get salt water or chlorine on them. The ray bans never do.

Well shit, my Whiskers must be freaks then because they have spent several vacation weeks in saltwater and in the pool and only got a freshwater hose down about 60% of the time and they are fine.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't Caterpillar run on being able to get like any part they ever made? I know they are awesome about their current stuff if you need it NOW.

Cat has excellent legacy support, but that's a whole different economic ball game.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just sent mine in for a tuneup and new lenses early this year. Cost around $100.

That's what I need, the rubbery flex points have broken down with age. Good excuse to upgrade to polarized lenses.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So you have had 11 pairs over the years and one happens to break(which you apparently wear all the time for over 2 years).  It is a discontinued item but you still demand it, even though they don't have it?

Just my opinion.

This....

Who expects sunglasses to be repaired 2 YEARS after you bought them? Its not a fucking automobile. Jesus christ....
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Absolutely love my pair...

I am assuming you checked out usstandardissue prices are bad at all...once you are verified mil
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I need, the rubbery flex points have broken down with age. Good excuse to upgrade to polarized lenses.

They came back tight as new. I scratched one of the new lenses about 2 weeks later.

here's a pic, because I'm bored at work:

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

... My current duty Half Jackets with Fire Iridium lenses (which are no longer made) and my titanium Square Wires with Silver Iridium Polarized lenses...

They still make fire iridium lenses for the Half Jacket model, they're simply no longer sold as replacement lenses.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I called to get some rubber earsocks for my Half X and they said they didn't have any.

No earsocks. On a model that is still being sold on Amazon.com.

Fuck you, Oakley.

btw, what exactly broke in your earstems?

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's not so much the fact that they are discontinued. If I wanted, I could buy another pair. There are quite a few pairs still out there. It's more the fact that even if you buy a pair of Oakleys that have been just released, and something breaks on them, you can't just purchase a replacement part. You have to purchase the whole frame. Why the hell should someone have to purchase a $200 frame just because a $5 fuckin hinge broke? That's like making you buy you whole new Model T just because you lost the gas cap.......

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I called to get some rubber earsocks for my Half X and they said they didn't have any.

Fuck you, Oakley.

Just because shits sold on amazon doesnt mean its still made. Could be some chester the molester filled his van with 1000 pairs so he could sell them to buy candy...
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Just my opinion.

+1

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not so much the fact that they are discontinued. If I wanted, I could buy another pair. There are quite a few pairs still out there. It's more the fact that even if you buy a pair of Oakleys that have been just released, and something breaks on them, you can't just purchase a replacement part. You have to purchase the whole frame. Why the hell should someone have to purchase a $200 frame just because a $5 fuckin hinge broke? That's like making you buy you whole new Model T just because you lost the gas cap.......

I'm looking at my half jackets, and the hinge is integral to the frame.  Yours must be different?

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#30]
They have replaced my cracked hinge M-Frames two times free of charge and the third time it cost me $22 for the frames.

I'll keep buying Oakleys, thanks.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, a piece of heavy machinery that you/your company has most likely invested over a couple hundred thousand dollars into versus a pair of sunglasses....
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh, and this thread will not stop me from buying Oakley products.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Overpriced piece of plastic is overpriced.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been wearing M-frames since 96.

Nothing else feels right.

As long as I can get lens and frames when needed I'll probably never switch to anything else.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Fuck you, Oakley.

The actual hinge itself. From what I can see, there was a milled down part that slipped into the earpiece. It broke right where it enters the piece.

For those who say its BS to expect them to fix a 2 year old pair of glasses, your telling me that it's ok that a company doesn't stock parts, even just two years later, to fix a $400 item? Again, like my statement above, it's like purchasing a $2500 refrigerator only to have the compressor go out two years later and be told by GE that they don't support that product anymore so you'll had to buy a new fridge.

It's not like I was asking for them to be fixed free of charge. I was willing to pay for the repair. But that was not even an option. If this was a cheap ass $25 pair of sunglasses I wouldn't say a word. But if your product line is as high priced as it is, you need to make sure you can supply yor customers for several years after the item has been discontinued. It's hasnt been discontinued for 2 years. That's just when I bought them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck you, Oakley.

Just because shits sold on amazon doesnt mean its still made. Could be some chester the molester filled his van with 1000 pairs so he could sell them to buy candy...

Also still sold at the Vault at the time. Point is, Oakley puts out $400 products and doesn't provide replacement wear items.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, a piece of heavy machinery that you/your company has most likely invested over a couple hundred thousand dollars into versus a pair of sunglasses....

Hey man, your eyes are important

FWIW, I was comparing it to Ford not having Model T parts. It was a ridiculous comparison already.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I screwed up my costas, sent them to them and they no longer made that model so they sent me a whole new pair pretty much like them for 10$
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought Oakleys and they've worked great. I'll buy another pair soon to make up for what you won't spend.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, Oakley.

The actual hinge itself. From what I can see, there was a milled down part that slipped into the earpiece. It broke right where it enters the piece.

For those who say its BS to expect them to fix a 2 year old pair of glasses, your telling me that it's ok that a company doesn't stock parts, even just two years later, to fix a $400 item? Again, like my statement above, it's like purchasing a $2500 refrigerator only to have the compressor go out two years later and be told by GE that they don't support that product anymore so you'll had to buy a new fridge.

It's not like I was asking for them to be fixed free of charge. I was willing to pay for the repair. But that was not even an option. If this was a cheap ass $25 pair of sunglasses I wouldn't say a word. But if your product line is as high priced as it is, you need to make sure you can supply yor customers for several years after the item has been discontinued. It's hasnt been discontinued for 2 years. That's just when I bought them.

On that type of part?  Yes.

Here's why- it's likely a unique part to a discontinued line, secondly its the frame.  That's not something most people replace, they get a new pair.  

They're plastic sunglasses, they're consumeable.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Absolutely love my pair...

I am assuming you checked out usstandardissue prices are bad at all...once you are verified mil

I came in to post this exactly this. I've had great support from this side of the house.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just an FYI, but Oakley and RayBan are both subsidiaries of a Company called Luxottica.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, Oakley.

Here's why- it's likely a unique part to a discontinued line, secondly its the frame.  That's not something most people replace, they get a new pair.  

Then what type of part, on a pair of glasses, would you expect them to back stock?

A hinge is only the most used part of any pair of glasses. I guess I can understand why a company wouldn't want to stock the most used/wearable part on their glasses.

And these are not your standard plastic Oakley. These are pure metal sunglasses. There are NO plastic parts on these glasses.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#44]
My $250 Oakley jury's broke within the warranty period, however they longer make those anymore. so they are cerditing my $250 towards any pair of sunglasses. Seems fair enough, shit happens. Oakley makes good stuff and this is the first I've had anything break to include M frames.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a pair of Oakley Penny sunglasses. After 10 years I finally just had to send them in for a tuneup yesterday. They are doing it at a 40% discount and even offered me a 25% on any new sunglasses if I purchased directly from Oakley. But I'm keeping my Pennys. Apparently they are very rare and worth almost 3 times what I paid for them new.

If I ever get a new pair, they will be Oakley Juliets. Oakley has always done me right.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, Oakley.

Then what type of part, on a pair of glasses, would you expect them to back stock?

A hinge is only the most used part of any pair of glasses. I guess I can understand why a company wouldn't want to stock the most used/wearable part on their glasses.

And these are not your standard plastic Oakley. These are pure metal sunglasses. There are NO plastic parts on these glasses.

Honestly none.  Keeping track of stuff is expensive in both time and money.

Maybe the lenses if they're user serviceable and not unique to that line.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#47]
How will you dress as Kenny Powers for Halloween?
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I have a pair of Oakley Penny sunglasses. After 10 years I finally just had to send them in for a tuneup yesterday. They are doing it at a 40% discount and even offered me a 25% on any new sunglasses if I purchased directly from Oakley. But I'm keeping my Pennys. Apparently they are very rare and worth almost 3 times what I paid for them new.

If I ever get a new pair, they will be Oakley Juliets. Oakley has always done me right.

When you say "tuneup" what do you mean exactly?  

I've got a pair of nanowire 1.0s that I really like, but the frame is slightly bent, not in an obvious way, but in a way that they set a little crooked on my head, which makes me not wear them anymore.  I believe they are Titanium frame and have always wondered if they could be made true again without buying a whole new frame.   Is this something they can do with their metal framed glasses?

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#49]
For the cost, I personally think the frames should be warrantied for life, or at least a seriously long time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#50]
I <3 my half jacket.

Originally had the non-polarized lenses and put polarized ones in 4 years ago, putting new ones in every 2 years from lots of use.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top