Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2012 3:29:48 PM EDT
He says he was in Korea, but his Garand has no mag. How many Garands made it to Korea and when did the M-14 come to use? When was the big switch from .30-06 to .308?
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Many Garands made it to Korea.

The M 14 was not adopted until 1957, well after Korea.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
All Garands have a magazine, it's just internal.  

The M14 came about in 1959, or so.  Korea was long over by then.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Many Garands made it to Korea.

The M 14 was not adopted until 1957, well after Korea.

This.  The Garand even saw (very limited) action in Vietnam, although mostly ARVN Units, but it was there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
M1 Rifle was the standard rifle of the US Army and Marines in Korea. The M1 Carbine (and M2) were limited-issue, especially to officers, NCOs, and crew-served weapon troops.

M14 was officially adopted about 1957, but due to issues with early production, didn't see general-issue status until the early 1960s, in part because Ordnance insisted the M14 was so similar to the M1 in manufacture that there was no need for production studies. Then it turned out a year later they did need those studies, which took 6 months to complete on top of that. Would have been much faster and cheaper to just do the study up-front, and probably would have avoided many of the early production issues at Springfield.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

M1 Rifle was the standard rifle of the US Army and Marines in Korea. The M1 Carbine (and M2) were limited-issue, especially to officers, NCOs, and crew-served weapon troops.

M14 was officially adopted about 1957, but due to issues with early production, didn't see general-issue status until the early 1960s, in part because Ordnance insisted the M14 was so similar to the M1 in manufacture that there was no need for production studies. Then it turned out a year later they did need those studies, which took 6 months to complete on top of that. Would have been much faster and cheaper to just do the study up-front, and probably would have avoided many of the early production issues at Springfield.

Would have been much cheaper and faster if the U.S. would have let Garand build the rifle with a detachable mag like he wanted.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He says he was in Korea, but his Garand has no mag. How many Garands made it to Korea and when did the M-14 come to use? When was the big switch from .30-06 to .308?

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#7]
He said something about 'piling gooks like you up as sand bags', implying he served in the earlier parts of the war, Chosin maybe. Those guys did not have the latest and greatest gear.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My Wife had and ex North Korean uncle. One day he was looking

through one of my gun magazines and he saw a Garand. His eyes

perked up and he told me that he killed many Chinese with one

after he fled to the south leaving his families Apple orchard.

He said he killed them up to 800 meters. He hated the communists

that ruined his wealthy life.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

We supplied what, 300,000 troops and the ROKs had 600,000.  So basically, a shit-ton of Garands made it to Korea.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/EPHorn/not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Well, at least you got to use your cool poster for some street cred, eh? Been waiting long to use that since you saved it?

I thought Korea was the first war with the M-14. BFD.....
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=29441

See above post, it applies to you, too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They're not off the mark.  How did you seriously NOT know that??  I mean, my wife wouldn't know that, but in her defense, she can't tell a shotgun from a rifle, and has zero interest in firearms in general.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

They're not off the mark.  How did you seriously NOT know that??  I mean, my wife wouldn't know that, but in her defense, she can't tell a shotgun from a rifle, and has zero interest in firearms in general.

Wow. Just wow. Some guys, I swear will rip ass over any stupid thing. I own a 1943 Garand but was sure by Korea the M-14 was in use. I was wrong. Seriously, what the fuck, bro? Being 41 years old, it was just a bit before my time and I never studied the timeline...just looked mine up. My books are all on MY rifle, the Garand. The books I have never discuss when the M-14 comes in to play.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, at least you got to use your cool poster for some street cred, eh? Been waiting long to use that since you saved it?

Because it makes about as much sense as posting "How come Dirty Harry didn't carry any spare magazines for his Model 29?"

Anyone posting about an M1 Garand magazine is either drunk, trolling, or fairly inexperienced with firearms.  Given that you have over 9000 posts on a gun forum, it would seem to be a safe assumption that you probably know a moderate amount about rifles, particularly fundamental operating information on rifles for which you already know the designation and caliber.  That leaves trolling or inebriation, and in consideration of your flawless grammar and spelling, one is left to strongly suspect yet another gem of Arfcom wit is somehow in play.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#16]
yeah well, WWII happened before my time, yet i still know all about how the germans bombed pearl harbor.

get it together man!
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Nobody's ripping your ass, you have a serious case of sand in your pussy.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Movie's on TNT right now.

Waiting for OP to birth a pearl.

DP

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Burt Lancaster is angry at this thread.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it makes about as much sense as posting "How come Dirty Harry didn't carry any spare magazines for his Model 29?"

Anyone posting about an M1 Garand magazine is either drunk, trolling, or fairly inexperienced with firearms.  Given that you have over 9000 posts on a gun forum, it would seem to be a safe assumption that you probably know a moderate amount about rifles, particularly fundamental operating information on rifles for which you already know the designation and caliber.  That leaves trolling or inebriation, and in consideration of your flawless grammar and spelling, one is left to strongly suspect yet another gem of Arfcom wit is somehow in play.

Ummm, don't be an idiot. I never meant to imply the Garand had a mag. Just an observation that he has a Garand in the movie but said he was in Korea. Figured he would have a M-14 but......I WAS WRONG.  So I was off by 10 years.....
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And here you are to clean it......
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Burt Lancaster is angry at this thread.

Sweet picture of Humphrey Bogart and the Lewis Gun.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Movie's on TNT right now.

Waiting for OP to birth a pearl.

DP

Watching now....
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Would have been much cheaper and faster if the U.S. would have let Garand build the rifle with a detachable mag like he wanted.

Or study the Italian BM-59.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Thin skin is Thin
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll leave that to you and your boyfriend.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll leave that to you and your boyfriend.

Personal attack much? That was quite the witty comeback! You must have gone to public school too!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Sweet picture of Humphrey Bogart and the Lewis Gun.

I know!  This is my favorite scene from Hamburger Hill

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

He said something about 'piling gooks like you up as sand bags', implying he served in the earlier parts of the war, Chosin maybe. Those guys did not have the latest and greatest gear.

My Dad described them as "Stacked like cordwood." That line in the film made me laugh, thinking of my father. Mounds of commie bodies must have been a common experience.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#30]
This thread digressed quickly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#31]
That is what happens when op asks stupid gun questions and then gets sand in his mangina.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That is what happens when op asks stupid gun questions and then gets sand in his mangina.

So I am 10 years off on the transition from M1 to M14 and I somehow i am the one with sand in the mangina after several idiots feel the need to slam me for it? Fucking please.....Pot / kettle syndrome......

Get a fucking life. I was wrong, and the question was answered. Don't be such a duche bag to people who share the same interests you do.......maybe just observe the fact I was wrong and have been educated on the production date of the M14??????????????????

Fucking purse swingers, I swear.....

Edited for mods...
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry grandpa......Some of us don't know shit about Garands.  I don't know anything about them and I'm not about to waste my time learning about them.  It's the natural progression of things.  

Relax a little folks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I am 10 years off on the transition from M1 to M14 and I somehow i am the one with sand in the mangina after several idiots feel the need to slam me for it? Fucking please.....Pot / kettle syndrome......

Get a fucking life. I was wrong, and the question was answered. Don't be such a duche bag to people who share the same interests you do.......maybe just observe the fact I was wrong and have been educated on the production date of the M14??????????????????

Edited for mods...

Well if you know about the Garand as you stated then you know it was produced well into the 50's as a result of the Korean war. Or maybe you just don't know about Garands either.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Personal attacks removed - warning issued - Paul
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edited for mods...

wow

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Edited for mods...

Well if you know about the Garand as you stated then you know it was produced well into the 50's as a result of the Korean war. Or maybe you just don't know about Garands either.

And now this duche bag. Any more issues with this thread  should be made into a damn pit thread.

Fucking troll here, folks. I am very familiar with my 1943 Garand but don't really give a shit about 1950's Garands since I DO NOT OWN ONE. Wanna call me out on this? Please....go get some air or something.  Get a life, find a hobby....change your nozzle..

Feel better for posting? Cool kid club paid member?

you need to take your own advice man
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Edited for mods...

And now this duche bag. Any more issues with this thread  should be made into a damn pit thread.

Fucking troll here, folks. I am very familiar with my 1943 Garand but don't really give a shit about 1950's Garands since I DO NOT OWN ONE. Wanna call me out on this? Please....go get some air or something.  Get a life, find a hobby....change your nozzle..

Feel better for posting? Cool kid club paid member?

you need to take your own advice man

Umm, you do realize this all began with a question regarding the use of the Garand in Korea, right? I have no intention of taking that guy's shit or anyone else's for asking a question regarding the use of the Garand vs M14. How many more guys want to call out my gun experience or shit in this thread over that question?

Oh, I'm done. Question answered. I don't need any more account warnings...
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Horry SHIT!  He rearry mad!    

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Horry SHIT!  He rearry mad!    

I see what you did there......
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I would post a pitcher of a dude eating popcorn here now if I had one, or felt like looking for one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Thread or account ...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top