Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had my 14060M since '02. Been wearing it nearly every day since. Had it cleaned once, has a small nick on the Saphire.
I have a lot of other watches, but I always go back to my Sub.
I've lost a lot of weight, time to take out another link.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
In before the " buy a timex and acquire guns" watch haters.

I think that it is stupid to piss money away on things that only the truly wealthy can afford, only do delude yourself.  

If you have "that" much money, then knock yourself out.  

If you had to make payments, and it only is a fucking watch (also art)... you need to examine you priorities or define them clearly.  If this is what makes you happy, then more power to you.  Two is one, one is none.  

Don't consider yourself any more "special" or important than the guy with two Sten guns.  Or 27 Aks.  

Wow.

It's OPs money to do with what he wants.  It has nothing to do with "being better" than someone... It has to do with doing the things that make one happy.

Friends of  mine think it's dumb to own multiple firearms or to own a motorcycle or other "toy"... Yet they happily blow loads of cash on their own hobbies which I find dumb.   But, it is their cash and their life,   Much like, it is my cash and my life.

I don't collect nice watches to impress anyone, I do it because it makes me happy and I find them to be functional pieces of art.
I would agree with you that it is dumb to buy a nice watch (or any other luxury item) on credit... Because it is dumb to buy luxury items with cash you don't have.

And I have no problem with that.  I don't give a hairy rats ass if you collect fossilized stank taint teabags, if that is where you want to spend your scratch.

Don't act like a cock, like the guy I quoted, considering all other opinions as "haters".  Fuck, I would love to have the money to waste on wrist art.

Sounds like we see eye to eye then, carry on my friend.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

And I have no problem with that.  I don't give a hairy rats ass if you collect fossilized stank taint teabags, if that is where you want to spend your scratch.

Don't act like a cock, like the guy I quoted, considering all other opinions as "haters".  Fuck, I would love to have the money to waste on wrist art.

The trick is to do it like me. Blow the money you don't need as a single E5, because once the wife and kids show up, you're fuuuuuuuucked

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The 1976 Guns and Ammo annual had a a Rolex ad in it. It was that classic pic of a big game hunter with his kill. Tom Siatos (former publisher of G&A) had his foot on the back of a rhino he had shot. The big print of the ad - "If you hunted big game the world over, you'd wear a Rolex."

I was a little kid when I saw that, but for some damn reason it stuck with me and I wanted one. I had no idea what they cost, but dammit- it was cool.

I bought mine through the PX in Okinawa, Japan in 1990. No sales, luxury or any other tax- $1795.00 out the door.

I need to wear it more often.

I still have that magazine around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:
This watch. This watch was on your Daddy's wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. Now he knew that if the gooks ever saw the watch it'd be confiscated, taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide somethin'. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. Now, little man, I give the watch to you.

This guy gets it! That is one funny scene.

um that was a Hamilton....
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The trick is to do it like me. Blow the money you don't need as a single E5, because once the wife and kids show up, you're fuuuuuuuucked

Well, there is that approach.  

Obviously, you should neglect women and acquire cash... but, to each his own.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone ever have one repaired if so how much did it cost?  Mine broke and I have been to scared of the repair bill to take it in.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone ever have one repaired if so how much did it cost?  Mine broke and I have been to scared of the repair bill to take it in.

Define "broke"

General overhaul is in the 650.00 range. What did you break? as there isn't much too break. Crystal is in the 300 range if it is sapphire, but included in service if it is plastic.

Last service on my D series Sub was 775.00
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Depends on what is wrong with it... If you send straight to Rolex you gonna get raped.  But when you get it back, you will think you got a new watch back.   Everything is gone over and buffed/polished back to "like new".

A true watchsmith with a good stock of parts should be able to do a full service of the movement and repair it for a few hundred bucks.  I recently had one serviced for 240$ by a very competent smith.   Parts are becoming scarce though... Rollie stopped selling them to outsiders a few years back, so if you need uncommon parts, Rolex factory service might be your only option.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on what is wrong with it... If you send straight to Rolex you gonna get raped.  But when you get it back, you will think you got a new watch back.   Everything is gone over and buffed/polished back to "like new".

A true watchsmith with a good stock of parts should be able to do a full service of the movement and repair it for a few hundred bucks.  I recently had one serviced for 240$ by a very competent smith.   Parts are becoming scarce though... Rollie stopped selling them to outsiders a few years back, so if you need uncommon parts, Rolex factory service might be your only option.

Not true... Bob Ridley, Steve Mulholland.. etc... Parts for a modern or even vintage are absolutely not scarce.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true... Bob Ridley, Steve Mulholland.. etc... Parts for a modern or even vintage are absolutely not scarce.

My bad, I had been under the impression that they cut the parts supply to "non-Rolex authorized" folks a few years back.   If I am in error, I do appologize.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been looking at this site for my eventual Rolex purchase. Anyone have an opinion/story about them???

http://www.melrosejewelers.com/submariner-ss-black-393.htm

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad, I had been under the impression that they cut the parts supply to "non-Rolex authorized" folks a few years back.   If I am in error, I do appologize.

There are no Non authorized service centers that use genuine parts. All you need is a parts account w/ Rolex and you are GTG. Getting that account is next to impossible> Best place is Dallas or NY for service. Dallas is amazing w/ vintage...
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:33:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Guess everyone that posts IBTP is a cock as well.

I don't even own a Rolex, but I'm still a cock like a boss
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My local guy billed me $550 for a clean, lube, test + parts (new oscillating weight, plastic crystal, and pearl).

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Further research can be more effectively undertaken at The Rolex Forums. Do NOT post anything about guns on there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Further research can be more effectively undertaken at The Rolex Forums. Do NOT post anything about guns on there.

Some googling can lead to a fun thread on there where our one and only Steyr_AUG got a bunch of europanties in a bunch with his replies to a thread about shooting handguns while wearing your watch.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I love mine I wear that and the Omega PO the most

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That site blows.. Most members can't even spell... Go to timezone.com
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#20]

This is my personal favorite sub
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Good Luck getting them serviced after 25 years. They no longer will service watches greater than 25 years old.

Rolex Service Center, NY is sending mine back unserviced because it was made 1973. Told me to find a local Watchmaker.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Good Luck getting them serviced after 25 years. They no longer will service watches greater than 25 years old.

Rolex Service Center, NY is sending mine back unserviced because it was made 1973. Told me to find a local Watchmaker.

You're better off.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're better off.  

Hard to find a decent watchmaker these days, thats why I sent it to RSC, NY. I knew if they would fix it right.

Definitely changed my attitude toward the company, when they told me they don't fix Rolies older than 25 years.

You are no longer buying an Heirloom with a Rolex anymore.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Get whichever Submariner you want but the one with the date will retain a better value and besides the "cyclops" magnifier is what gives it that look !
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Personally I'd rather buy these two watches and still have enough left over to almost buy a Marathon automatic chronograph.

If I was going to own only one watch, the Submariner would be strong in the running.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#26]
haters gonna hate...

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a 16600 Sea Dweller 4000 that is just flat out awesome. It is basically a thicker submariner that is rated for a much greater death and has a helium escape valve. I like to be a bit different and not go with the flow ! However, the newer deep sea is awfully huge and heavy and has even more useless capability that even professional saturation divers can't even come close to realizing. I do agree that the current submariner is probably the best watch to wear on a daily basis and has more than enough durability.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I have a 16600 Sea Dweller 4000 that is just flat out awesome. It is basically a thicker submariner that is rated for a much greater death and has a helium escape valve. I like to be a bit different and not go with the flow ! However, the newer deep sea is awfully huge and heavy and has even more useless capability that even professional saturation divers can't even come close to realizing. I do agree that the current submariner is probably the best watch to wear on a daily basis and has more than enough durability.

Yeah my buddy wants a Deep Sea, but I think that's just because he's thinking it's the same as the sea dweller. I'd get a sea dweller on the secondary market, that Deep Sea is a tank!

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#29]
im a watch freak.

rolex, i'd get a daytona

was in aspen, there's an expensive hotel by the lift, little nell. its been a while but i was in there, they had a small jewelry shop with some neat watches. so the girl at the counter says 'we dont sell the mass produced watches like rolex'..

which to this day has left me a bit deflated, because, i cannot afford something like this, which costs.. wait for it $1,450,000.00. course my suunto i wear everyday tells better time. i do have a titanium omega seamaster pro like someone put a picture of earlier. but it only gets worn on certain dressup occasions.

Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon Mens Wristwatch
Model 5002G

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Bought mine in 1959 at the Base Exchange in Kenitra, Morocco.  Still runs fine.

I'm in the middle 1968.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I can't believe no one said "Bond, James Bond".  The Submariner was the most popular watch in the '70's and early '80's because of that.  

Make sure you get the expandable (scuba diver) band.  The resale and "cool' factor is well worth it.

I wear a GMT-Master II.  I bought it new in 1986, the watch and lunch at Jack In the Box was $1,100.00 by the time I walked home.  I wear it every day, suits or jeans.  It was serviced once in 2003 by a local watch repairman, and is still running great.  After 26 years, this watch still has the X factor for me!

I should add, if you buy a Rolex, Asian girls (job) will really be interested in you!
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Just polished and ready to post prior to selling to fund my garage build.

I've owned four Rolex watches and the Sub is my favorite.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Panerai gets my attention these days but I still have the Sub-C. Great EDC piece, very versatile.

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Love mine- 14060M.  Has been serviced once in 15 years and still runs great, and is worth more than the $1950 I paid for it new.

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're better off.  

Hard to find a decent watchmaker these days, thats why I sent it to RSC, NY. I knew if they would fix it right.
Definitely changed my attitude toward the company, when they told me they don't fix Rolies older than 25 years.
You are no longer buying an Heirloom with a Rolex anymore.  

I took mine to the local watchmaker and got back the original dial, bezel insert, crown, band, etc.  Had I sent it to RSC, the bill would have been more than what it would be worth after they replace everything that makes it collectible and brought it back to factory spec.  My '68 is happily tickin on my wrist right now.

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Go big. get a DSSD.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Mine was a gift from my father on the day I graduated from law school.  It's been with me everyday since then.  Through several years in the Marines, to the tops of mountains, to diving in the Caribbean, to the first marlin I ever caught, to the day I almost died, it's been on my wrist. It's gotten a lot of wear in that time, but every scratch and ding is a story.  I love the watch and it'll probably be the only watch I ever wear.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Ive tried a few on while shopping for my first big watch purchase but just cant seem to like them.

Its a Omega Seamaster or Planet Ocean for me
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Bought this Submariner in 1991.

Been going strong
and accurate since.

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Loved my subs...

My First one was a 5513 reissue... the one with no date, and the thick domed acrylic crystal.

Then I had a basic 1990's  16610 Sub/date. that got stolen in a burglary years ago. :/

Replaced it with a 16660 Seadweller which has been great,

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Go big. get a DSSD.

I love my DSSD

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Oh my.  The thread is back.

A 1 year old GMT II C just became available also...

I think I am going to have to look at it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah my buddy wants a Deep Sea, but I think that's just because he's thinking it's the same as the sea dweller. I'd get a sea dweller on the secondary market, that Deep Sea is a tank!

The SD 4000 is a classic and the apotheosis of the SD line IMO, I thought about a SDDS but it's just too large for me.

mine:
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Oh my.  The thread is back.

A 1 year old GMT II C just became available also...

I think I am going to have to look at it.

Don't do it! Your wrist will get heavier and your wallet much lighter, very quickly!

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I love mine I wear that and the Omega PO the most

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/alexmartinjr/IMG_3342.jpg

That Planet Ocean Omega is the next watch I'm buying.  
Quoted:

I've read this elsewhere a few times, disappointing to say the very least.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
im a watch freak.

rolex, i'd get a daytona

i do have a titanium omega seamaster pro like someone put a picture of earlier. but it only gets worn on certain dressup occasions.

??? Why would you not wear an Omega Seamaster daily?  Its not really a dress watch....
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The guy at Tourneau wanted 8k plus tax for this watch, which is too much considering the advertised retail price is like $7300.

My commitment to my current employer ends in almost exactly 17 months, and I'm gonna pick one up after some further shopping around.

Kiss any thought of a discount goodbye... and the reply by 'karmatp' really makes ya go http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&th=1778493&mid=6119776&rid=0&rev=&reveal=
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
This watch. This watch was on your Daddy's wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. Now he knew that if the gooks ever saw the watch it'd be confiscated, taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide somethin'. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. Now, little man, I give the watch to you.

You need the picture...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Funny you should mention.

I tried a Submariner on just last night at Tourneau, the new 116610 Submariner date, like this...
http://image.rakuten.co.jp/bluek/cabinet/rolex_b/rx116610lnbk-3b.jpg

The guy at Tourneau wanted 8k plus tax for this watch, which is too much considering the advertised retail price is like $7300.

My commitment to my current employer ends in almost exactly 17 months, and I'm gonna pick one up after some further shopping around. My wonderful wife unit wanted to buy it for me last night as I tried it on but I'm afraid of bad luck as I'm not finished up just yet.

Consider this thread very much tagged.

Would go very well with: "Alden Shell Cordovan's"...

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top