Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:52:53 PM
I have seriously been considering a Rolex Submariner.

Please tell me about yours and why you love it.

MALT0SE
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:55:10 PM
This watch. This watch was on your Daddy's wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. Now he knew that if the gooks ever saw the watch it'd be confiscated, taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide somethin'. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. Now, little man, I give the watch to you.
teamr2
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:56:19 PM
Originally Posted By MALT0SE:
This watch. This watch was on your Daddy's wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. Now he knew that if the gooks ever saw the watch it'd be confiscated, taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide somethin'. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. Now, little man, I give the watch to you.

This guy gets it! That is one funny scene.

devildog12210
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:57:30 PM
First post and all.
DigDug
God Emperor of Dune
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:58:45 PM
Most people won't even recognize it. Probably the most copied watch design in history.

"Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel" Horace Walpole

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!" Rorschach
DOW
Son and heir... of nothing in particular
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:59:26 PM
Funny you should mention.

I tried a Submariner on just last night at Tourneau, the new 116610 Submariner date, like this...

The guy at Tourneau wanted 8k plus tax for this watch, which is too much considering the advertised retail price is like $7300.

My commitment to my current employer ends in almost exactly 17 months, and I'm gonna pick one up after some further shopping around. My wonderful wife unit wanted to buy it for me last night as I tried it on but I'm afraid of bad luck as I'm not finished up just yet.

Consider this thread very much tagged.
"Panic sweeps my men when they are facing the AMERICAN MARINES."
-Captured North Korean Major

"Never get out of the boat."
- Chef
macro
Bitter Pennsylvanian clinging to his guns
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:59:53 PM
The sub is the classic modern Rolex. Clearly a signature look....recognizable from across the room.
Folks will be along momentarily to tell you to get an Omega instead....I have both....I like both, but the Rolex is still my favorite of the two.

We are who we decide to be
Snow-man
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 5:12:17 PM
Love mine

"Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!!!"

".....it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
Ohio_Bill
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 5:12:22 PM

Originally Posted By macro:
The sub is the classic modern Rolex. Clearly a signature look....recognizable from across the room.
Folks will be along momentarily to tell you to get an Omega instead....I have both....I like both, but the Rolex is still my favorite of the two.

Winner right here...

If I get a second Rolex it will be a Submariner.
"My irritability keeps me alive and kicking" --Howard Devoto

"Didn't watch it. You don't rack up 100k posts by reading the articles before commenting on them, slow poke." --Aimless
macro
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 5:14:53 PM
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:

Winner right here...

Actually, me too...I don't have a sub....I have a yacht....and I still want a sub
Also have an omega Seamaster....great watch....love it...but I like the yacht a lot more.
Ohio_Bill
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 5:21:51 PM

Winner right here...

Actually, me too...I don't have a sub....I have a yacht....and I still want a sub
Also have an omega Seamaster....great watch....love it...but I like the yacht a lot more.

I have an Oyster Perpetual Date... my everyday watch for 20 years... runs like new. I get a laugh out of the "Rolex = crap" threads
"My irritability keeps me alive and kicking" --Howard Devoto

"Didn't watch it. You don't rack up 100k posts by reading the articles before commenting on them, slow poke." --Aimless
netwt12
"46 year termer"
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:13:39 PM
i've worn mine everyday since 07 and have beaten the shit out of it. no complaints other than it gains about 4 mins per year.

"There are only two things more beautiful than a gun: a Swiss watch or a woman from anywhere. Ever had a good... Swiss watch?"- Cherry Valance, 1948

technically not a life member
كافر
30Caliber
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:20:25 PM
My dad and I (he'd had it a couple years by then)

My brother

Me

That's the same watch in all three photos.
FivespeedF150
OFP Zodiac Driver
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:23:31 PM
Are GMT-II guys allowed in this thread?
Originally Posted By Troubl3shooter: The biggest advantage to a coed navy is that while the rum is still the same, the buggery now has some variety.
NRA Patron Benefactor @ 24
Strider47
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:26:54 PM
I've had mine since 1987 and it's tits. Never had a problem with it.
WhirlyGirl45
The coolest GIRL on the block!
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:30:33 PM
Originally Posted By Snow-man:
Love mine

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/snowkelrs2/LV1.jpg

I have that exact watch- 50th anniversary model, mine was a gift....I wear it once a week or so.
Yes, I know its a mens watch...I hate most womens style watches.
~Leadership is not worn on your coat but carried in your heart-Hugh Thompson~
~Leather pants, leather jacket, Black shades and black gloves, every man's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed WOMAN~
6winchester2
Texaco Sky Chief
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:31:18 PM
[Last Edit: 4/1/2012 7:37:35 PM by 6winchester2]
Sold mine years ago and went with an Omega Seamaster Professional instead.

By odd coincidence, not ten minutes ago, I was buffing a few minor scuffs out of the clasp on my Seamaster bracelet with a Dremel polishing wheel.

"It is better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand." - Apache Wisdom.
WhirlyGirl45
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:31:22 PM
Originally Posted By FivespeedF150:
Are GMT-II guys allowed in this thread?

Yes, they are almost alike.
~Leather pants, leather jacket, Black shades and black gloves, every man's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed WOMAN~
FivespeedF150
OFP Zodiac Driver
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:39:16 PM

Originally Posted By WhirlyGirl45:

Damn right. That's why I got it. The GMT-II Red/Black was my dream watch, though once I had the cash they had come out with the GMT-II Ceramic in black only. It's on my wrist now, and I love it. The Rolex sub is the timeless watch design. The GMT is very similar. My next Rolex will be a two-tone sub with blue face.

For now, I do love my SS GMT-II. I feel comfortable wearing it with shorts and a t-shirt or a suit.

Originally Posted By Troubl3shooter: The biggest advantage to a coed navy is that while the rum is still the same, the buggery now has some variety.
NRA Patron Benefactor @ 24
Evilriflefan
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:44:14 PM

Winner right here...

I have an Oyster Perpetual Date... my everyday watch for 20 years... runs like new. I get a laugh out of the "Rolex = crap" threads

Me too ! Mine is 22 years old. Never been serviced. Runs 2 minutes fast every 5 days. My BIL steam cleans it at his jewelry store once a year. Hasn't had a single problem.

ed_in_fl1
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:46:55 PM
[Last Edit: 4/1/2012 7:50:25 PM by ed_in_fl1]
Mine is a 1969 model and it runs great. I have never had someone keep a straight face and tell me to get an Omega. I do like the Omega's, especially the newer Planet Ocean....but it doesn't have that classic look. I plan on saving up so I can have both. The Sub is one of the only "sport" type watches that still looks classy with a suit and goes just as well at the beach (or in the ocean where it belongs). Even at 43 years old I still dive, fish, spearfish, etc. with it. I wear it 24 hours a day and only take it off if I am going to be doing something that requires serious shock to the wrist (i.e. punching bag, air tools, etc.). In the end, you should get what you want. I can say that you shouldn't worry about people noticing it....most people won't, so if you're into having it to "show off" don't bother. I can also say that the few people that have noticed mine over the years were interesting people that I enjoyed a conversation with, not random "is it a real one" idiots (those type seem to be much more attracted to Rolex Datejusts....lol). Anyway, good luck with finding the right one.

p.s. Don't let anyone tell you that a Breitling or Tag are in the same ballpark. Some Omegas are very well made, but I would say just a notch below. Unless you are willing to get into the real rich man's game with an Audemars Piguet, IWC, Patek Philippe (etc.) the Rolex is the way to go.

-Ed

WhirlyGirl45
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:48:04 PM

Damn right. That's why I got it. The GMT-II Red/Black was my dream watch, though once I had the cash they had come out with the GMT-II Ceramic in black only. It's on my wrist now, and I love it. The Rolex sub is the timeless watch design. The GMT is very similar. My next Rolex will be a two-tone sub with blue face.

For now, I do love my SS GMT-II. I feel comfortable wearing it with shorts and a t-shirt or a suit.

http://www.watchmatchmaker.com/wp-content/uploads/files/u6/picture-128-494x534_0.png

Gorgeous!

danpass
Harvest time
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:48:20 PM
Take a look at the Sea-Dweller also. No date wart.
Dan
Psalm 91:7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.
6winchester2
Texaco Sky Chief
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:51:24 PM
Originally Posted By danpass:
Take a look at the Sea-Dweller also. No date wart.

That's called a Cyclops Lens.

"It is better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand." - Apache Wisdom.
warp_foo
Wait ...What?
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:53:09 PM

http://www.watchmatchmaker.com/wp-content/uploads/files/u6/picture-128-494x534_0.png

I currently have a 16710 GMT Master II Pepsi, but I started back in 1986 with a black Sub. That watch was with me for years, and I rarely took it off. Tough watch, and no scratches –– even after wearing it while loading cargo on to airplanes. (Old School pallets and chains style...)

If you want a hardcore Submariner, get a 14060M no date, no cosc:

One day I'll get another Sub, maybe a 5513 from back in the day.

m
Black on black gives me a heart attack, and the silence makes it deadly.
Some choose to kill with simple will. I've seen them fall fast and steady.
HKHamartia
absit iniuria verbis
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:56:29 PM
[Last Edit: 4/1/2012 8:48:06 PM by HKHamartia]
I have rode ridden mine hard.

It has gone back to the factory twice for service in 15 years. No fault of the watches though.

I figure I will kick off with that watch on my wrist.
Arfcom runs on hate and cheap steel cased ammo buddy
batjka104
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:57:54 PM
Not the same, but I have a Tudor Sub on my wrist as I type this. I like it so far :-))
JINXR
I've got a problem for your solution
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 8:05:55 PM
I've never paid much attention to Rolex watches so I'm surprised the Invicta watch I got for Christmas from my wife looks so similar.

I really like the watch and I doubt many people I run into would recognize the design, but now I'm worried about looking like a poser.
"I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism." - K. Powers
DigDug
God Emperor of Dune
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 8:40:31 PM
Did someone say Pepsi?

"Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel" Horace Walpole

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!" Rorschach
LHD
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 8:43:53 PM
I liked the submariner but ultimately went with the Day-Date president diamond gold and a daytona. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
macro
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 8:47:24 PM
Just remembered that I had this hosted from a long time ago....

DigDug
God Emperor of Dune
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 8:48:47 PM

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/macr05/Misc/guncrop.jpg

Very nice!!!!

pearl1982
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 8:48:55 PM
Originally Posted By warp_foo:

I currently have a 16710 GMT Master II Pepsi, but I started back in 1986 with a black Sub. That watch was with me for years, and I rarely took it off. Tough watch, and no scratches –– even after wearing it while loading cargo on to airplanes. (Old School pallets and chains style...)

If you want a hardcore Submariner, get a 14060M no date, no cosc:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f2/419939d1302483932-there-can-only-one-maybe-two-rolex14060m1.jpg

One day I'll get another Sub, maybe a 5513 from back in the day.

m

If/when I can afford a Rolex, this is the one I'm looking to get. No date Subs are awesome.

macro
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 8:50:57 PM
Originally Posted By DigDug:

Very nice!!!!

I planned on buying a stainless sub....someone here posted a similar picture of a yacht and I changed my mind.....yet another way this site has helped pry money out of my wallet
niceguymr
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 9:01:30 PM
Buy it and you'll have no regrets. Mine's not a Submariner but I'd be just as happy if it were.

The Original Range Report ®
The Original Bathroom Pic ®
skeeters65
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 9:04:44 PM
I have a 50th anniversary and love it. It gains about 5 minutes a month but I can deal with that.
Like said before it is a classic design that is recognizable anywhere.
That's why I went with the green 50th for a something a little different and rare.
DigDug
God Emperor of Dune
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 9:04:54 PM
Originally Posted By DigDug:

Very nice!!!!

I planned on buying a stainless sub....someone here posted a similar picture of a yacht and I changed my mind.....yet another way this site has helped pry money out of my wallet

Tell me about it. This place has "made" me spend so much money over the years it isn't even funny.

Kharn
Mushroom Cloud Measurer
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 9:18:01 PM
[Last Edit: 4/1/2012 9:18:26 PM by Kharn]
Don't be That Guy with the bracelet still the factory length, its an expensive item, don't let it bang into things like you don't care about the damage.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
tt350z
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 9:18:08 PM
In before the " buy a timex and acquire guns" watch haters.
macro
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 9:19:41 PM
Originally Posted By niceguymr:
Buy it and you'll have no regrets. Mine's not a Submariner but I'd be just as happy if it were.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/niceguymr/watchgun.jpg

Looks familiar
fd4887
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 9:21:25 PM
1987 stainless and gold FTW! Gift from the wife many years ago. Yep, I know it needs cleaning.
OiRogers
You will have to speak up, I'm naked.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 9:22:17 PM
Originally Posted By Snow-man:
Love mine

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/snowkelrs2/LV1.jpg

I have that exact watch- 50th anniversary model, mine was a gift....I wear it once a week or so.
Yes, I know its a mens watch...I hate most womens style watches.

Men's watches on women look great. . Wish I could get my better half to wear one of mine occasionally.

I love my Sub... I grabbed it used and don't wear it nearly enough as I've been on a Panerai kick for the past several years.. I will say that there are many great brands of mechanical watches and there are many watches more "haute couture" than Rolex, but the Sub is an undeniable classic. It is IMHO, the single most iconic watch design of the wristwatch era.

It IS the most faked and most copied watch for a reason.
Make your mark, because in the end it's all that remains. - Templars
It's better to be dead than f@&king red - Combat 84
rangermonroe
(CH2-N-NO2)3.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 9:32:28 PM

Originally Posted By tt350z:

I think that it is stupid to piss money away on things that only the truly wealthy can afford, only do delude yourself.

If you have "that" much money, then knock yourself out.

If you had to make payments, and it only is a fucking watch (also art)... you need to examine you priorities or define them clearly. If this is what makes you happy, then more power to you. Two is one, one is none.

Don't consider yourself any more "special" or important than the guy with two Sten guns. Or 27 Aks.

dmacintyre
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 9:37:22 PM
Great watches, very versatile. I loved mine but sold it to upgrade to a Fifty Fathoms. I wanted something which was a bit more haute horologie. I think I lost about $200 on the Ceramic Sub after wearing it for a year. The resale on Rolexes is unmatched by most other brands. If you change your mind after buying it you shouldn't lose your shirt.
Snow-man
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 9:59:35 PM
Originally Posted By rangermonroe:

I think that it is stupid to piss money away on things that only the truly wealthy can afford, only do delude yourself.

If you had to make payments, and it only is a fucking watch (also art)... you need to examine you priorities or define them clearly. If this is what makes you happy, then more power to you. Two is one, one is none.

Don't consider yourself any more "special" or important than the guy with two Sten guns. Or 27 Aks.

Really!?

"Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!!!"

".....it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
TheGunCollector
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 10:01:01 PM
Love mine - NEVER wear it.
gmtmaster
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 10:03:22 PM
I have a 16610

And a 16750.. Which is a vintage plastic quickset, which I prefer over the Sub.

1MAC
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 10:13:56 PM
I don't have much to add to the above posts. I have a 16610 I bought new for myself about 5 years ago. I looked at watches and researched them for about a year until I finally realized that if I could only have one watch it would be the Submariner.

I'm still happy with my decision, but if I were not happy I could sell the watch now for the price I paid for it or a little more. I can't say the same for my wife's TAG Heuer.

If you have to finance a watch (or anything else besides a house or maybe a car), you probably shouldn't buy it.
Time wounds all heels.
OiRogers
You will have to speak up, I'm naked.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 10:15:56 PM

Wow.

It's OPs money to do with what he wants. It has nothing to do with "being better" than someone... It has to do with doing the things that make one happy.

Friends of mine think it's dumb to own multiple firearms or to own a motorcycle or other "toy"... Yet they happily blow loads of cash on their own hobbies which I find dumb. But, it is their cash and their life, Much like, it is my cash and my life.

I don't collect nice watches to impress anyone, I do it because it makes me happy and I find them to be functional pieces of art.
I would agree with you that it is dumb to buy a nice watch (or any other luxury item) on credit... Because it is dumb to buy luxury items with cash you don't have.
Make your mark, because in the end it's all that remains. - Templars
It's better to be dead than f@&king red - Combat 84
HKHamartia
absit iniuria verbis
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 10:18:41 PM
[Last Edit: 4/1/2012 10:23:33 PM by HKHamartia]

Hell yes! Welcome back man.

Arfcom runs on hate and cheap steel cased ammo buddy
rangermonroe
(CH2-N-NO2)3.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/1/2012 10:24:23 PM

Originally Posted By OiRogers:

Wow.

It's OPs money to do with what he wants. It has nothing to do with "being better" than someone... It has to do with doing the things that make one happy.

Friends of mine think it's dumb to own multiple firearms or to own a motorcycle or other "toy"... Yet they happily blow loads of cash on their own hobbies which I find dumb. But, it is their cash and their life, Much like, it is my cash and my life.

I don't collect nice watches to impress anyone, I do it because it makes me happy and I find them to be functional pieces of art.
I would agree with you that it is dumb to buy a nice watch (or any other luxury item) on credit... Because it is dumb to buy luxury items with cash you don't have.

And I have no problem with that. I don't give a hairy rats ass if you collect fossilized stank taint teabags, if that is where you want to spend your scratch.

Don't act like a cock, like the guy I quoted, considering all other opinions as "haters". Fuck, I would love to have the money to waste on wrist art.

Previous Page
Page:  / 3