User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/28/2012 5:27:02 AM EDT
Interesting church?  

Folks over on Reddit have emailed the church and they've responded
confirming that this is a legit sign and not the product of the
photoshops (just to be sure, look very close at the pixels)

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Both destined for the same judgement.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:31:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:32:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bad Theology for a Christian church.

God is not pleased with Atheists or unkind Christians.

He loves them both and wants both of them to change their mind and love Him.

Yes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:32:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's the point the church is making. It's better to treat your fellow man with respect and not believe in god rather then believe in god and be an asshole.

And how do you know god hates athiests? You claim to know his mind?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm curious who they expect to attract.

Atheists will never participate, and they run the risk of turning off Christians. I have nothing against atheists, but it's a bit odd for a church to be trying to play to them.

However, having said this, it IS a Methodist church, so we shouldn't be surprised of anything they do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:35:01 AM EDT
[#6]
As with any statements concerning religion or claims via science, proof please.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Atheists will never participate, and they run the risk of turning off Christians. I have nothing against atheists, but it's a bit odd for a church to be trying to play to them.

However, having said this, it IS a Methodist church, so we shouldn't be surprised of anything they do.

They aren't trying to attract athiests, thier making a point to christans that they need to act like it 24/7 not just sunday morning.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good response.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Arfcom has taught me that this is not true.

From what I understand its not about how kind you are.

It doesn't matter if you are mother Teresa or Hitler, both deserve eternal damnation due to their sins.

As long as they accept Jesus, they both get to go to heaven.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the point the church is making. It's better to treat your fellow man with respect and not believe in god rather then believe in god and be an asshole.

Valid or not, good luck with reasoning.  Dogma abhors reason.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Scripturally incorrect.

However, every age has it's own heresy - some behavior that is so offensive, so radical, so terrifying that no right-thinking person of the day can do anything but reflexively and unthinkingly condemn it. It would appear that ours is "hate". We must hate "hate". Anyone who doesn't hate and vilify hate is a hateful human being that is unfit for life.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:40:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And we're off.  That didn't take long.  

In response to the OP I'm willing to bet that this pastors definition of a hateful Christian is one that is opposed to gay rights etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:43:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not a practicing Catholic anymore... but I think atheists wouldn't be on God's good side.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that is poor Theology.  God approves of neither.

I did not say that God hates Atheists.  I said just the opposite.

There is only 1 theological truth that should be present in a "Church" and that is Grace. Anything else is secondary and mans own creation and placing of importance on ritual and tradition.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:50:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:56:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I kind of see his point to an extent. I would not consider myself an athiest, more of an agnostic but I will never even entertain the thought of joining an organized religion because of past experiences with hateful and hypocritical "christians".
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#20]

LoL, ok then.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:59:39 AM EDT
[#21]
How appropriate that this should be today's SMBC comic.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:01:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#23]
It has historical president - God showed preference to to Gentiles over hateful Jews.  The repentant thief over the arrogant priests.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:05:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Someone who actually reads scripture will note that Jesus heaped more condemnation on Pharisees than he did prostitutes. He criticized their practice of tithing on mint and cumin (herbs and spcies...to show how pious they were they'd give a tithe on even the herbs they had in the kitchen) while ignoring things like taking care of their family.

A prostitute can at least be shamed because the prostitute knows they are a prostitute.

The pharisee uses the observation of religious tradition as an insulation against the requirement to critically examine themselves and how they live their life in relation to the perfect example of God's character. (Which is the fundamental truth of Christianity)  They're also really good at finding excuses within their religious tradition to do what they want to do anyway.

So yes...there is some scriptural basis to hold that God prefers people who try to treat others well and behave in a moral way as opposed to those who live like scumbags but who think they're ok because they know John 3:16.

Do I expect the reddit/4chan crew to understand the reasons why?

Nope.

Perfect.

Christ had lots of problems with religious leaders. Not a lot of problems with the veritable dredges of society.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:09:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It has historical president - God showed preference to to Gentiles over hateful Jews.  The repentant thief over the arrogant priests.  

Anyone remember the exact verse, it was something about "I would rather have someone follow my way and not know me, then do bad things in my name"  It's been forever since I read it but I know it's there somewhere. Basiclly saying it's better to live a good life in accordance with the bible and not worship god.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Christ had lots of problems with religious leaders.

Well, ya...I mean, they killed him.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Both destined for the same judgement.

Not according to my non-god god
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:12:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is not your best thing, is it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

O_P said God hates atheists? Didn't YOU just highlight that O_P said God loves them? That's some funny shit.

I'll bet a dolla fitty you have an interestingly difficult life.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I like the sign. Hopefully it helps him make a point to his congregation.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:20:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So which denomination is the one God wants us to follow?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I kind of see his point to an extent. I would not consider myself an athiest, more of an agnostic but I will never even entertain the thought of joining an organized religion because of past experiences with hateful and hypocritical "christians".

To an extent that's not much removed from saying that you wouldn't pursue higher education because of hateful and hypocritical professors and students.

There are hateful and hypocritical agnostics, too...yet you don't let that stop you from identifying as one.

Bad examples of humanity exist everywhere. No group or philosophy is immune from the inevitability of human nature. If you allow human behavior to interfere with your search for truth then you're going to live in a pretty dark corner of the world.

Not really the same thing. I still believe in god just not in organized religion. Most would call me agnostic but I don't really know or care what group I fall into. Living in texas and utah all of my life, i've never really met more than a dozen or so agnostics or athiests and never a hateful one so I have nothing to go off of.

I also believe that in certain cases like mine, higher education in the form of college is a complete waste of money. I've read all of the college books that I would read for a degree in business but i've never set foot inside of a college classroom. I taught myself just like I worship by myself.  My job pays the same whether I dropped out at age 16 or have an mba. Most of my complaint about professors and students isn't their hate or being hypocritical. It is their complete and utter ignorance of how to make and manage money. I've been in business all of my short life and feel no need to go listen to someone who doesn't own or manage a business tell me how I should do it.

I own a decent sized landscaping company with 10 employees, and manage/own a share of a mechanical service company that does several million dollars in revenue every year. I'm a licensed general contractor and licensed class A refrigeration contractor in both environmental and commercial cooling. I've never been taught any of this in my life. I've learned it by doing. My point in all this rambling is that some people are more independent thinkers than others. I don't need a congregation to believe in god, I don't need a teacher to educate myself. I choose to distance myself from most people because I feel like they are typcially not worth my time in dealing with. I guess you could say that I resent the group mentality more than anything.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#35]
That statement is wrong. What the pastor should have put was "I prefer".

I agree with his sentiment but I do not think God does. Because depending on your definition of Atheism it is tantamount to blasphemy. Blasphemy is a decisive, willful opposition to God and thus avoidance of sharing his love. But you can't just lump everyone into giant groups of Christian or Atheist. It's almost like we are back to Jew and Gentile delineation. That makes it too simple and is dogma.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#36]
<Remarks removed. CoC #1. -NorCal>
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

That statement is wrong. What the pastor should have put was "I prefer".

I agree with his sentiment but I do not think God does. Because depending on your definition of Atheism it is tantamount to blasphemy. Blasphemy is a decisive, willful opposition to God and thus avoidance of sharing his love. But you can't just lump everyone into giant groups of Christian or Atheist. It's almost like we are back to Jew and Gentile delineation. That makes it too simple and is dogma.

Most atheists don't believe in god because there is no evidence of god.  Its not a willful opposition to god, its a simple lack of belief.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone remember the exact verse, it was something about "I would rather have someone follow my way and not know me, then do bad things in my name"  It's been forever since I read it but I know it's there somewhere. Basiclly saying it's better to live a good life in accordance with the bible and not worship god.

I usually avoid theological threads on arfcom because I consider it tantamount to trying to discuss string theary with a squad of deranged chimps, but I think I'm gonna be in on this one.

Apparently, this is your belief system. You're basing it, at least partially, on a piece of scripture you kinda remember. Please cite the scripture. It COULD be important.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#39]
so if god loves me, why doesn't he text me the winning lotto numbers?

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Most atheists don't believe in god because there is no evidence of god.  Its not a willful opposition to god, its a simple lack of belief.

I believe this is the case as well. Man is given free will to believe what he will. I think this is good.

I do get a kick out of those who become personally enraged when confronted with someone who DOES believe in God. I find evangelical atheists amusing, mostly because they have no concept of their own ego transparencies. They're adorable.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I just opened mine and scanned the distribution list. You're not on it...again. Sorry, bro.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just opened mine and scanned the distribution list. You're not on it...again. Sorry, bro.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe this is the case as well. Man is given free will to believe what he will. I think this is good.

I do get a kick out of those who become personally enraged when confronted with someone who DOES believe in God. I find evangelical atheists amusing, mostly because they have no concept of their own ego transparencies. They're adorable.

I do get a kick out of those who become personally enraged when confronted with someone who does NOT believe in God.  I find evangelical Christians amusing, mostly because they have no concept of their own ego transparencies.  They're adorable.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:12:05 AM EDT
[#44]
God loves us all. He doesn't hate anyone.

My favorite part of these threads is when people start saying stuff like "You can't prove the existence of God so there isn't one," or "I don't believe in God so you're an idiot."
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I usually avoid theological threads on arfcom because I consider it tantamount to trying to discuss string theary with a squad of deranged chimps, but I think I'm gonna be in on this one.

Apparently, this is your belief system. You're basing it, at least partially, on a piece of scripture you kinda remember. Please cite the scripture. It COULD be important.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#46]
There's hope for me!
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fucking WAY I let that come out of my keyboard...

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Too bad the church sign doesn't give the gospel, but instead simply states someone's opinion about God's likes or dislikes.

The sign could have said:

"Jesus Christ died for your sins, was buried, and rose again.  Repent and believe the gospel"
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fucking WAY I let that come out of my keyboard...

And I'm not sure how any GD thread isn't like 'trying to discuss string theary with a squad of deranged chimps.'
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top