Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I once had a parts car come in that had a cracked block(4cyl) that had been repaired with a bunch of JB Weld and then had a metal plate screwed down over it.

It ran fine and I re-sold the engine to a customer - with full disclosure - who installed it in a customer car of his - with full disclosure - and that person was happy.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Repaired some water jacket erosion in an aluminum cylinder head with it.

Worked for about 5 years, probably still good (engine has been sitting here for a long time).
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Strong enough to seal up octomom's cooch.

Ha, you sure?

I've seen it used to patch engine blocks before, but it's far from a weld.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I used it to seal up my crank case on a yamaha raptor . It lasted a year . Honestly i forgot about it and never checked it again and i sold the bike and never had a problem
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't weld aluminum yet so JB fixes all the aluminum or other stuff I cant fix with the mig. Pretty good epoxy, my Jon boat would have sank a long time ago if it weren't for ol JB. Kind of a last resort deal though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I always thought it was kind of brittle. Only thing I would use it for now is nose weight in a model rocket
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I could weld it quicker than you could mix the epoxy.

Sometimes it is harder than shit to get a welder in where you need it to  be though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
JB Weld  doesn't work with ethanol gasoline.  I had to weld an aluminum carburetor float bowl after the JB Weld failed.  Wire brush, 4 seconds at 45 amperes AC,  75% balance and 90 Hz. 12 cubic feet per hour pure argon, ceriated  1/16" tungsten sharpened to a point, 4043 filler rod.

I'm using a lot less JB Weld since getting my welder

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would JB Weld be appropriate for locking the threads of a muzzle device to the barrel? So you don't have the pin and weld it?

Or would the heat from shooting be too high for it to work?

Too high. I tried to attach a comp to the end of my barrel. The JB melted.

Silver soder.

They've got high heaat shit. If I had the choice between a solder and jb weld I'd use the high temp jb and call er good. That being said nothing beats a mig or arc, except for thermite/maganese welding they use on the train rails.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#10]
It's no Chuck Norris
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Army strong
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I have use it to patch a couple of rows in a radiator it is still going fine after 5 years. Also use it to patch a hole in the bottom of my wife's CJ5 gas tank more than 20 years ago and it still does not leak.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#14]
It's good for making a replacement button for the switchblade you bought in Tiajuana.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I put some on a dog's ass and it haired over in four days
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I was at HD today and there's about 4-5 version of JB weld now for plastics, wood, high strength metal, water applications etc.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was at HD today and there's about 4-5 version of JB weld now for plastics, wood, high strength metal, water applications etc.  

Fiberglass version too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would JB Weld be appropriate for locking the threads of a muzzle device to the barrel? So you don't have the pin and weld it?

Or would the heat from shooting be too high for it to work?

Too high. I tried to attach a comp to the end of my barrel. The JB melted.

Silver soder.

They've got high heaat shit. If I had the choice between a solder and jb weld I'd use the high temp jb and call er good. That being said nothing beats a mig or arc, except for thermite/maganese welding they use on the train rails.

Thanks! I did not know that. My stores have been holding out
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I knew someone who used it to repair a cracked radiator.  Didn't work.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Its pretty strong if mixed and applied properly, but it only handles up to about 500 degrees F. It also needs some surface area to get a good bond. Some edges etc are just not big enough to make it strong.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
ha, ha, no.

EAW on steel is 50,000 psi or greater.

You have never seen my welds. They look like a robotic chicken took a shit all over the part....  

you were in my class, right????
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top