BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 152
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've owned (...or funded) several start-ups, and had some glorious failures.  But the one thing that remained constant, is the government (local,state, and federal) all made money...even off the failures.  

I paid licencing fees, permit fees, inspection fees, user fees, employee taxes, sales tax, and income taxes... even on the failures the government MADE money.

It's like the mafia.  No matter what they WILL get their cut, whether you make it or not.  If you don't pay, eventually men with guns will show up and collect.  We absolutely need to eliminate all the regulatory red-tape and minimize the tax load.  

The only way to do that is to shrink the size and scope of government.  We're headed for the mother of all complexity collapses.  

Many states increase those business taxes 'fees' as an easy way to find new monies, 'It's $100 increase, Pass it on to your customer'
Great point Q

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was having lunch with a young person yesterday. He has been fairly pro-active at trying to make money as an independent contractor. He wants to start a small business. He started looking at how much money he would have to bring in just to pay all the taxes, fees, licenses, etc. vs. what he could charge out time for services. He has determined that he can't make any money starting a business because of the current environment. So, when you hear that  "small business entreprenuership is at the lowest rate in decades", you can pretty well believe it. If we can't turn around both the perception and the reality for small businesses, the economy will simply die off. It can't do otherwise because small businesses are the engine that drives the US economy. Kill that goose, no more golden eggs.

He's right.  

I've owned (...or funded) several start-ups, and had some glorious failures.  But the one thing that remained constant, is the government (local,state, and federal) all made money...even off the failures.  

I paid licencing fees, permit fees, inspection fees, user fees, employee taxes, sales tax, and income taxes... even on the failures the government MADE money.

It's like the mafia.  No matter what they WILL get their cut, whether you make it or not.  If you don't pay, eventually men with guns will show up and collect.  We absolutely need to eliminate all the regulatory red-tape and minimize the tax load.  

The only way to do that is to shrink the size and scope of government.  We're headed for the mother of all complexity collapses.  

Many states increase those business taxes 'fees' as an easy way to find new monies, 'It's $100 increase, Pass it on to your customer'
Great point Q

3rd world countries call it what it really is, a local/state/fed  bribe, in the US, it's a "fee" or a "tax" or a "inspection charge."
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
3rd world countries call it what it really is, a local/state/fed  bribe, in the US, it's a "fee" or a "tax" or a "inspection charge."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was having lunch with a young person yesterday. He has been fairly pro-active at trying to make money as an independent contractor. He wants to start a small business. He started looking at how much money he would have to bring in just to pay all the taxes, fees, licenses, etc. vs. what he could charge out time for services. He has determined that he can't make any money starting a business because of the current environment. So, when you hear that  "small business entreprenuership is at the lowest rate in decades", you can pretty well believe it. If we can't turn around both the perception and the reality for small businesses, the economy will simply die off. It can't do otherwise because small businesses are the engine that drives the US economy. Kill that goose, no more golden eggs.

He's right.  

Great point Q

Yes.

Once all the patriotic nationalistic illusions fall away, you start to view government as nothing more then a well organized mafia system.  In the united states we call it taxes, and fees, and use a more formal organization of men with uniforms and titles to enforce them.  But it's really all the same.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
people don't want to accept what's going on for many reasons I suppose.

The one that gets to me is that I would have to admit I am either powerless against it, or too cowardly

(ie: "I have a family and too much to lose") to pick up a rifle and fo hoping others would do the same.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The one that gets to me is that I would have to admit I am either powerless against it, or too cowardly

(ie: "I have a family and too much to lose") to pick up a rifle and fo hoping others would do the same.
View Quote

It's not fear, you are rational person.  Right now, it would be folly to "fight" our government.  It's certainly would be completely foolhardy to sacrifice yourself, and your family, for principle, and that's all you'd be doing.  Even a relatively large group of like minded individuals operating in an organized fashion would fail.  They'd be labeled terrorist, isolated, hunted down, and incarcerated or killed.

The country is nowhere near the point were armed resistance is a viable solution.   Most people are in the pot of warming water with you.  We see where it's going, and know what enviably will happen, but right now the water isn't hot enough to jump out.  We still have enough freedom to avoid interactions with government.  We pay them off, follow their rules, and they leave us alone.  

Until that changes, it'd be wise not to even entertain the idea of "resisting".   Take the time to prepare, but hope it never comes to that.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's not fear, you are rational person.  Right now, it would be folly to "fight" our government.  It's certainly would be completely foolhardy to sacrifice yourself, and your family, for principle, and that's all you'd be doing.  Even a relatively large group of like minded individuals operating in an organized fashion would fail.  They'd be labeled terrorist, isolated, hunted down, and incarcerated or killed.

The country is nowhere near the point were armed resistance is a viable solution.   Most people are in the pot of warming water with you.  We see where it's going, and know what enviably will happen, but right now the water isn't hot enough to jump out.  We still have enough freedom to avoid interactions with government.  We pay them off, follow their rules, and they leave us alone.  

Until that changes, it'd be wise not to even entertain the idea of "resisting".   Take the time to prepare, but hope it never comes to that.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And pray that some how, some way, and by some large miracle this country turns around to the way it should be before it ever comes down to having to Fo.  I'm not optimistic but I will hold out hope until all hope is lost.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have followed this thread from the beginning years ago. I have a 6 year old son. I am teaching him as any good parent should. My problem is this.

I want him to grow up and enjoy the freedoms and liberty I had a child.
I want him to be fairly taxed when he has a job.

I DO NOT want him to ask when he is older and asking about how America was like when I grew up, then say, why did you not do something Dad?

I write, I fax, I email, I vote, I went to DC for the GB rally a few years back with some others members here and met our NRA board member that is/was here.

I feel like we are loosing/have lost. I am holding out hope.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Fed made the announcement today.  They aren't going to clear their balance sheet, instead they'll be rolling over all principle and interest payments, so they'll still expand their balance sheet, they've just taken their foot off the gas.   I'm still wading through the entire policy statement.  But the above is a good summation so far.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
QE is over.  ...sort of.

The Fed will continue to reinvest proceeds from it's sizable holdings (translation: buy more bonds), and will continue to rollover it's U.S. Treasury holdings.  So it's not going to reduce its balance sheet any time soon, and it's not going to create more money to buy new assets, but it will let it's portfolio of bonds continue to expand the money supply, and its balance sheet, by reinvesting in bonds.  

Basically, they've taken their foot off the gas, and put QE on cruise control.  

isn't the fed still buying commercial paper from the banks?

Aren 't there enough buyers of debt at low rates right now or are you suggesting the fed is going to let govt bond rates go up

The Fed made the announcement today.  They aren't going to clear their balance sheet, instead they'll be rolling over all principle and interest payments, so they'll still expand their balance sheet, they've just taken their foot off the gas.   I'm still wading through the entire policy statement.  But the above is a good summation so far.  

maybe they need that money to dump into the markets.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

QE is over.  ...sort of.

The Fed will continue to reinvest proceeds from it's sizable holdings (translation: buy more bonds), and will continue to rollover it's U.S. Treasury holdings.  So it's not going to reduce its balance sheet any time soon, and it's not going to create more money to buy new assets, but it will let it's portfolio of bonds continue to expand the money supply, and its balance sheet, by reinvesting in bonds.  

Basically, they've taken their foot off the gas, and put QE on cruise control.  

isn't the fed still buying commercial paper from the banks?

Aren 't there enough buyers of debt at low rates right now or are you suggesting the fed is going to let govt bond rates go up

If they do nothing, except rollover their bonds, they'll be dumping around $100-150 billion into the economy on cruise control.  It's a drop in the bucket.  But they have to be careful unwinding the bonds.  The Fed now owns about two and half times what the Chinese hold.   I'll have to look up what their current holdings of other bonds are.  But let's just say, they won't be unwinding this position anytime soon.   When this all started their balance sheet was less then $800 billion.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, with the Fed's $4 Tril balance sheet (at least the part they're actually reporting), rolling over their paper is still going to be sucking up a monstrously large percentage of Treasury issuance. Further, they are still paying interest on so-called "excess reserves" to the big banks using printed money. They are still conducting "market operations" like buying S&P futures and e-minis with printed money. They still may be buying commercial paper (so they technically won't be buying any more treasuries per se) with printed money. They appear to still be buying Fannie&Freddie paper with printed money. Remember, the "actual" QE of $85billion a month was only PART of the money printing they've been doing. Ignore what they say, watch what they do.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have followed this thread from the beginning years ago. I have a 6 year old son. I am teaching him as any good parent should. My problem is this.

I want him to grow up and enjoy the freedoms and liberty I had a child.
I want him to be fairly taxed when he has a job.

I DO NOT want him to ask when he is older and asking about how America was like when I grew up, then say, why did you not do something Dad?

I write, I fax, I email, I vote, I went to DC for the GB rally a few years back with some others members here and met our NRA board member that is/was here.

I feel like we are loosing/have lost. I am holding out hope.

View Quote

I get what you are saying, I am in the same boat with a 3 and 5 year old. But by doing nothing we are going to make them fight the war we should be. Look how fast it went down hill in our generation, how fast will it go for them. We are not doing anyone a favor here. I
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:53:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, with the Fed's $4 Tril balance sheet (at least the part they're actually reporting), rolling over their paper is still going to be sucking up a monstrously large percentage of Treasury issuance. Further, they are still paying interest on so-called "excess reserves" to the big banks using printed money. They are still conducting "market operations" like buying S&P futures and e-minis with printed money. They still may be buying commercial paper (so they technically won't be buying any more treasuries per se) with printed money. They appear to still be buying Fannie&Freddie paper with printed money. Remember, the "actual" QE of $85billion a month was only PART of the money printing they've been doing. Ignore what they say, watch what they do.

View Quote

yep, nobody is mentioning the buying of commercial paper which is also QE.

I still stand by my assertion that there are buyers at the current return rates for US debt which is the only reason the fed will stop buying US debt from the banks, there has to be, or the rates will go way up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I wonder what became of " this "
View Quote

In the scheme of things that little graft and corruption is a drop in the bucket.  Our republic is terminally ill.

"...you have a republic, if you can keep it."- Benjamin Franklin

The electorate long ago learned that it could vote itself money from the public treasury.  Coupled that with a huge self-replicating bureaucracy that can write volumes of codes and regulations and create complex insanity, almost completely unchecked, and you lose the republic.   Our politicians are routinely made wealthy by their connection to "public service", and no one stops to ask why.  

Huge contracts are granted as political favors, or payback for support.  No politician get's elected without promising money from the public treasury.  The public has grown dependent on government, public sector employment, benefits, and retirement, government contracts and their associated employment, social security, medicare...half the households in America receive some financial benefit from government.  

It certainly looks like we've lost the republic, and gained a kleptocracy and oligarchy.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Just found out how strong the banks are. Osama Bin Ber Nank was denied refinancing on his home on Capitol Hill.  Here's an excerpt:

At a conference in Chicago on Thursday, Mr Bernanke said he was unsuccessful in refinancing his mortgage, Bloomberg News reported. Refinancing means replacing an existing loan with a new loan offering lower interest rate or more flexible tenure.

According to reports, Mr Bernanke wanted to refinance the mortgage on his Capitol Hill house, which he and his wife had bought for $839,000
View Quote

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industries/article-former-fed-boss-ben-bernanke-denied-mortgage-refinance-674278  

So much for the trickle down from the quantitative easing that he ph*cked the world over with.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just found out how strong the banks are. Osama Bin Ber Nank was denied refinancing on his home on Capitol Hill.  Here's an excerpt:

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industries/article-former-fed-boss-ben-bernanke-denied-mortgage-refinance-674278  

So much for the trickle down from the quantitative easing that he ph*cked the world over with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

At a conference in Chicago on Thursday, Mr Bernanke said he was unsuccessful in refinancing his mortgage, Bloomberg News reported. Refinancing means replacing an existing loan with a new loan offering lower interest rate or more flexible tenure.

According to reports, Mr Bernanke wanted to refinance the mortgage on his Capitol Hill house, which he and his wife had bought for $839,000

You guys really don't believe this dribble?
Google also list Bernankes net worth @ $2million,
yeah right, I believe that
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard of a cash poor millionaire?  If I had a loan, I'd refinance it too while it's ata  low interest rate.  Of course, the banks don't want to re-fi because it means they'll lose their 7 plus % for 2-3%.  They'll re-fi at a higher rate or to clear the title (when a loan is packaged up with other loans and sold to a hedge fund, then it's harder to foreclose on because of the paperwork involved.  A refi gets it out of the hedge fund and into one party which can then foreclose).
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#17]
So why hasn't the stock market crashed with the end of QE?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's been pointed out sooooo many times. QE can never be allowed to end.  Do you understand why?

At least until the Leftists are ready to destabilize the whole shebang and take over a la Stalin and Mao.

Ackshully, this is PRECISELY what we are being set up for, -yet folks constantly over-analyze the details like picking lint from their belly buttons.

The story abt ending QE was Bull Shit served on a Cow Pie Platter to the Ignorant Sheeple,  to manipulate the elections.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

QE did not end. The fed just said they will stop buying Govt bonds at the end of Oct. That was only half of the current QE.

They are still buying worthless commercial paper from the banks unless someone can show they have stopped.

And they will not be presenting mature bonds to the treasury for payment, like I said they would not 4 years ago.

There are still buying market futures propping up the markets, and maybe other things that no-one knows about simply because they create the world's semi-reserve currency and they can " invest " in anything they want, they are privately held and privately run, and they NEVER get audited. So nobody really knows what they are buying.

It is the biggest scam in history and almost everyone thinks it is normal.

Let me ask you this. If you could print all the money you wanted and nobody would ever find out because nobody is allowed to look at your records, why would you invest in anything at all? Would you really be looking for a rate of return when you could just create the money you wanted?  All you would be interested in doing is keeping your scam going.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

QE did not end. The fed just said they will stop buying Govt bonds at the end of Oct. That was only half of the current QE.

They are still buying worthless commercial paper from the banks unless someone can show they have stopped.

And they will not be presenting mature bonds to the treasury for payment, like I said they would not 4 years ago.

There are still buying market futures propping up the markets, and maybe other things that no-one knows about simply because they create the world's semi-reserve currency and they can " invest " in anything they want, they are privately held and privately run, and they NEVER get audited. So nobody really knows what they are buying.

Let me ask you this. If you could print all the money you wanted and nobody would ever find out because nobody is allowed to look at your records, why would you invest in anything at all? Would you really be looking for a rate of return when you could just create the money you wanted?  All you would be interested in doing is keeping your scam going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is commercial paper?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is basically unsecured corporate debt that is traded like a bond.   Since they are not secured with collateral, financial companies sell insurance policies to insure in case of default. Those are called Credit Default Swaps. Then a company will buy a credit default swap to protect those credit default swaps, and the layers go on and on. My understanding it is all considered commercial paper. There is about $600 trillion of it in the world, all supposed to have value, but it is mostly just repackaged and resold and re-insured. The top 5 banks in the US hold $250 trillion of it, and it is all a house of cards.  If some of it defaults, it dominos  and it will all default.

The fed has been buying it from the banks, even though it is worthless, that is part of the QE nobody talks about.

At least that is my understanding and it may not be accurate and I might he confusing things.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:56:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is basically unsecured corporate debt that is traded like a bond.   Since they are not secured with collateral, financial companies sell insurance policies to insure in case of default. Those are called Credit Default Swaps. Then a company will buy a credit default swap to protect those credit default swaps, and the layers go on and on. My understanding it is all considered commercial paper. There is about $600 trillion of it in the world, all supposed to have value, but it is mostly just repackaged and resold and re-insured. The top 5 banks in the US hold $250 trillion of it, and it is all a house of cards.  If some of it defaults, it dominos  and it will all default.

The fed has been buying it from the banks, even though it is worthless, that is part of the QE nobody talks about.

At least that is my understanding and it may not be accurate and I might he confusing things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In addition to subprime Fannie & Freddie paper from the banks. It's considered commercial, rather than Government paper (bonds) even though it (they) are government sponsored groups, the bonds themselves are not backed by the "full faith & credit" of the U.S. in spite of the Fed buying about 15bn per month from the 5 TBTF banks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

The BoJ Jumps The Monetary Shark - Now The Machines, Madmen And Morons Are Raging

snip..."Never mind that the BOJ will now escalate its bond purchase rate to $750
billion per year - a figure so astonishingly large that it would amount to nearly $3 trillion per year if applied to a US scale GDP.
And that comes on top of a central bank balance sheet which had
previously exploded to nearly 50% of Japan’s national income or more
than double the already mind-boggling US ratio of 25%."

Japan's train hasn't wrecked yet, so they decided to show the globe markets they produce are the best 'Printers'.

After this high wears off, the EU will have to start their version of QE, or they'll risk a real break-up.

...and OUR Dollar continues to strengthen, causing many commodities, i.e. gold & oil, to crash back down to reality.

When those lows are realized, traders will finally begin to realize QE can not impersonate one thing...DEMAND!

Short-term, it inflated the deflated, but, unfortunately, when supply is high & demand is low prices will go down.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The BoJ Jumps The Monetary Shark - Now The Machines, Madmen And Morons Are Raging

snip..."Never mind that the BOJ will now escalate its bond purchase rate to $750 billion per year - a figure so astonishingly large that it would amount to nearly $3 trillion per year if applied to a US scale GDP. And that comes on top of a central bank balance sheet which had previously exploded to nearly 50% of Japan’s national income or more than double the already mind-boggling US ratio of 25%."

Japan's train hasn't wrecked yet, so they decided to show the globe markets they produce are the best 'Printers'.

After this high wears off, the EU will have to start their version of QE, or they'll risk a real break-up.

...and OUR Dollar continues to strengthen, causing many commodities, i.e. gold & oil, to crash back down to reality.
When those lows are realized, traders will finally begin to realize QE can not impersonate one thing...DEMAND!
Short-term, it inflated the deflated, but, unfortunately, when supply is high & demand is low prices will go down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip..."Never mind that the BOJ will now escalate its bond purchase rate to $750 billion per year - a figure so astonishingly large that it would amount to nearly $3 trillion per year if applied to a US scale GDP. And that comes on top of a central bank balance sheet which had previously exploded to nearly 50% of Japan’s national income or more than double the already mind-boggling US ratio of 25%."

It's called a currency war and Japan just shot a big salvo over the global bow.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#25]
The race to the bottom
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The race to the bottom
View Quote

It's going to be a rather long duration race...

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pulled this statement from the comment section of a Magpul litigation announcement ...

Dug up an Atlas Shrugged quote for the day ...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The race to the bottom

Pulled this statement from the comment section of a Magpul litigation announcement ...

TomSanchez  • 6 days ago
Yes I criticized your company because in the perfect world the government would force you, with violence if need be, to divulge these so called trade secrets in order to save the tax payers money.

Your defense of capitalism is entertaining, yet WE are winning election by election. Your kind will never hold office in this nation again, you cannot deny this fact! Soon there will be no where for 1% scum like you to hide.

Soon people like you would be happy to trade your silly patents, and trade secrets for your old way of life. Fortunately.. you will be given no quarter.

“The only proper purpose of a government is to protect man's rights, which means: to protect him from physical violence. A proper government is only a policeman, acting as an agent of man's self-defense, and, as such, may resort to force only against those who start the use of force. The only proper functions of a government are: the police, to protect you from criminals; the army, to protect you from foreign invaders; and the courts, to protect your property and contracts from breaches or fraud by the others, to settle disputes by rational rules, according to objective law. But a government that initiates the employment of force against men who had forced no one, the employment of armed compulsion against disarmed victims, is a nightmare infernal machine designed to annihilate morality: such a government reverses its only moral purpose and switches from the role of protector to the role of man's deadliest enemy, from the role of of policeman to the role of a criminal vested with the right to the wielding of violence against the victims deprived of the right of self-defense. Such a government substitutes for morality the following rule of social conduct: you may do whatever you please to your neighbor, provided your gang is bigger than his.”
? Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

The current communists and community organizers ( but I repeat myself ) in the govt have emboldened people like that. If there are enough of them, and I think there are, it will be them that start the violence in the streets, just like in the 60s, except this time they will not be protesting they will be waging war , either because they believe the govt will protect them and it is time, or because they see the tide change and their communist / facist movement is no longer in power.  Either way, I believe they will act in violence. I just hope most of them are truly cowards like they appear to be and it can be avoided, but I have my doubts.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#29]
K
Quoted:

The current communists and community organizers ( but I repeat myself ) in the govt have emboldened people like that. If there are enough of them, and I think there are, it will be them that start the violence in the streets, just like in the 60s, except this time they will not be protesting they will be waging war , either because they believe the govt will protect them and it is time, or because they see the tide change and their communist / facist movement is no longer in power.  Either way, I believe they will act in violence. I just hope most of them are truly cowards like they appear to be and it can be avoided, but I have my doubts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The race to the bottom

TomSanchez  • 6 days ago
Yes I criticized your company because in the perfect world the government would force you, with violence if need be, to divulge these so called trade secrets in order to save the tax payers money.

Your defense of capitalism is entertaining, yet WE are winning election by election. Your kind will never hold office in this nation again, you cannot deny this fact! Soon there will be no where for 1% scum like you to hide.

Soon people like you would be happy to trade your silly patents, and trade secrets for your old way of life. Fortunately.. you will be given no quarter.

“The only proper purpose of a government is to protect man's rights, which means: to protect him from physical violence. A proper government is only a policeman, acting as an agent of man's self-defense, and, as such, may resort to force only against those who start the use of force. The only proper functions of a government are: the police, to protect you from criminals; the army, to protect you from foreign invaders; and the courts, to protect your property and contracts from breaches or fraud by the others, to settle disputes by rational rules, according to objective law. But a government that initiates the employment of force against men who had forced no one, the employment of armed compulsion against disarmed victims, is a nightmare infernal machine designed to annihilate morality: such a government reverses its only moral purpose and switches from the role of protector to the role of man's deadliest enemy, from the role of of policeman to the role of a criminal vested with the right to the wielding of violence against the victims deprived of the right of self-defense. Such a government substitutes for morality the following rule of social conduct: you may do whatever you please to your neighbor, provided your gang is bigger than his.”

There are many cowards. They will be in charge of the fools. You don't have to be brave to get people to kill other people for your cause.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The race to the bottom

TomSanchez  • 6 days ago

"The only proper purpose of a government is to protect man's rights, which means: to protect him from physical violence. A proper government is only a policeman, acting as an agent of man's self-defense, and, as such, may resort to force only against those who start the use of force. The only proper functions of a government are: the police, to protect you from criminals; the army, to protect you from foreign invaders; and the courts, to protect your property and contracts from breaches or fraud by the others, to settle disputes by rational rules, according to objective law. But a government that initiates the employment of force against men who had forced no one, the employment of armed compulsion against disarmed victims, is a nightmare infernal machine designed to annihilate morality: such a government reverses its only moral purpose and switches from the role of protector to the role of man's deadliest enemy, from the role of of policeman to the role of a criminal vested with the right to the wielding of violence against the victims deprived of the right of self-defense. Such a government substitutes for morality the following rule of social conduct: you may do whatever you please to your neighbor, provided your gang is bigger than his.”

This is the deep-seeded reason for this thread.  At least for me, and I can only speak for myself, but I've thought a lot about it. Why do I almost long for a financial reset?  My fear isn't of a financial collapse, it's of a continuation of the trajectory that we are on.  It's the fear that there won't be a natural economic "reset".  They'll just keep changing the rules, and mesmerizing the mob with smoke and mirrors.  We are moving towards a world where individual liberty is no more, replaced by authoritarian collectivism.  Marx was right, in a way, capitalism (...and democracy) are leading towards authoritarian collectivism.    

If you don't fit the collective, you will be weeded out, and they'll use government and it's tools to do it.  It won't happen overnight, it will happen slow and steady.  

I don't believe things are anywhere near as bad as they will get.  Barring a financial collapse, in a few decades we'll have a world that is cocktail mix of George Orwell's, Alex Huxley's, and Ayn Rand's dystopic vision.  A world where the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the individual.  A world where the majority rules, and the central planners of the political class are triumphant.  A collapse, while painful would at least derail our current trajectory, and while it's a "nuclear option", I've come to believe it's the ONLY thing which can do it.  

While there are certainly no guarantees that what comes after would be better, at least we have a chance they will.  On our current path there is NO chance.  There will be no political solution.  We aren't going to change things through elections.  No matter which political party get's elected to power the government will be bigger, the oligarchs and political class stronger, and individual freedom will be less.  

Capitalism is just the "free-market".  It's the economic expression of individual freedom. The only way to kill capitalism is to destroy individual freedom, and it's individual freedom that is the real target.  

I fear, there will be no economic reset.  Or at least not one which will save us anytime soon. Each "crisis" created by the natural forces of the free-market to correct our trajectory will be addressed by simply changing the rules. That's what's happened in the past, and that's what is being done right now.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#32]
From the SF forum... With modifications...

Quoted:
The DOW and S&P will skyrocket, metals will plummet for a while until people realize nothing will change.
View Quote

I sort of feel sorry for the Repubs.

They are totally out of their league vs. the Commie Dems who will be pushing the Repubs faces in the MUD for the next few years [LIKE THEY'VE BEEN DOING THE past FEW YEARS]...

...the Media will be Demonizing them BIG TIME [their specialty].

All the while the Sheeple will be grazing looking for MORSELS OF FREE SHIT on the ground.

Still a better choice than the Commie Dems tho...  

NEVER believe ANYONE who is so ignorant as to try to equate the two.

The Repubs want to steal your money...

While the Dems, with their Powerful Communist Socialist Totalitarian Ideology... Similar to Stalin, et al.

Want to steal everything you have including your country.

As well as your FREEDOMS...

And your GUNS... Destroy your Business, Family. Make you DEPENDENT ---on them, whatever they can to do further their destruction of the USA

Reminds me of this....

Terrence Hill represents the Commie Dems ---and the Sucker on the Right ---no pun intended...   the Dopey Repubs.

It would be funny to watch them the next few years except for the further devastation to our country that will result.

Watching the antics of the pathetic Repubs is going to be exactly like watching a T Hill movie.

It's disgusting to see what they have become over the decades.

Like Terrence says, "FOLKS LIKE YOU NEVER SEEM TO CATCH ON".

That phrase is SO apt for the Dopey Repubs.

Watch....

This election disaster is just another "Crisis" the Dems can practice not allowing to go to waste.

At our expense.

By BAITING the Sheeple, with MOAR FREE SHIT, to make us even weaker and more dependent.

We are an Ignorant and Stupid society and deserve EVERYTHING we're gonna get.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Well, I hope the red shirts surprise me ...
View Quote

Will they...

1.  Balance the Federal Budget?  Stop the insane debt cycle?  Will they stop raising the debt ceiling?  Propose a Balanced Budget Amendment?

2.  Repeal our current tax laws, and come up with a more sane, less complex alternative? (e.g. FairTax, flat tax, national sales tax...)

3.  Repeal Obamacare?

4.  Shrink the size and scope of Government, defund Federal departments and agencies?  (e.g. Department of Agriculture, Transportation, Education...)

5.  Repeal gun laws, propose legislation that gives further protection of the 2nd Amendment?

6.  Stop the NSA from spying on, and collecting data on U.S. citizens?

7.  Address our unfunded liabilities, social security, medicare, etc?  ...roll back socialism?

8. Repeal anti-business regulations, and lighten the tax load on businesses?

9. Finally deal with the king like powers of the Presidency, by putting sensible limits to "executive orders".

Will they do any of this?  Or will they grandstand on sensational issues, accomplish nothing, end up growing government, and call it a day?

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I hope the red shirts surprise me ...

Will they...

1.  Balance the Federal Budget?  Stop the insane debt cycle?  Will they stop raising the debt ceiling?

2.  Repeal our current tax laws, and come up with a more sane, less complex alternative? (e.g. FairTax, flat tax, national sales tax...)

3.  Repeal Obamacare?

4.  Shrink the size and scope of Government, defund Federal departments and agencies?  (e.g. Department of Education, Transportation, Education...)

5.  Repeal gun laws, propose legislation that gives further protection of the 2nd Amendment?

6.  Stop the NSA from spying on, and collecting data on U.S. citizens?

7.  Address our unfunded liabilities, social security, medicare, etc?  ...roll back socialism?

8. Repeal anti-business regulations, and lighten the tax load on businesses?

Will they do any of this?  Or will they grandstand on sensational issues, accomplish nothing, end up growing government, and call it a day?

If they don't accomplish the above in red, they will consider themselves a failure.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#35]
The Man In the Moon with Super Man powers...

Couldn't begin to do ANY of the Above.

The SHEEPLE, like US, will have NO part of it.

More Wishful Thinking...

Why even waste the B-W?

The Dems have addicted us to Free Shit and like a doper strung out, there is only one way to go and we all know which way that is.

This is the New Way ---to steal a country.

Addict the Sheeple, More and More, until everything blows up...

Then Promise the Sheeple even more...  

In exchange for their Freedoms.

Altho many here haven't the ability to see what's ''happening", it's what's happening.  

Slowly, some folks are beginning to see the forest ----despite the trees...

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The Dems have addicted us to Free Shit and like a doper strung out, there is only one way to go and we all know which way that is.

This is the New Way ---to steal a country.

Addict the Sheeple, More and More, until everything blows up...

Then Promise the Sheeple even more...  

In exchange for their Freedoms.

View Quote

When this "economy" finally shits the bed what will be proposed as a solution, and by whom?

Look at the average 'citizen' today, self centered, self absorbed and ignorant. We are facing a multigenerational crisis of frightening proportions with one of the least prepared generations in our history.

A disaster in the making, a country for the taking...
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

When this "economy" finally shits the bed what will be proposed as a solution, and by whom?

Look at the average 'citizen' today, self centered, self absorbed and ignorant. We are facing a multigenerational crisis of frightening proportions with one of the least prepared generations in our history.

View Quote

Iceland leads the way.  Iceland was in the same position we were in 2008 but they couldn't print their way out (or at least buy time by printing money).  Instead, they literally threw their parliament out of office and told their president that they did not want to pay the debt.  Their president heeded the will of the people (lest he got thrown out too).  The bankers that could be caught were jailed and those who weren't jailed fled to the City of London.  Iceland now has 1-2% (real) growth (and not the cooked books like we do to show recovery).  It can be done.

The difference is that the average Icelander was aware of what was going on and took action.  I don't expect this of the average American and especially the FSAer.  It takes an awakening of the sleeping giant and the giant is medicated (many Americans are medicated), and in the 1940s vernacular, fat, dumb and happy.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Iceland leads the way.  Iceland was in the same position we were in 2008 but they couldn't print their way out (or at least buy time by printing money).  Instead, they literally threw their parliament out of office and told their president that they did not want to pay the debt.  Their president heeded the will of the people (lest he got thrown out too).  The bankers that could be caught were jailed and those who weren't jailed fled to the City of London.  Iceland now has 1-2% (real) growth (and not the cooked books like we do to show recovery).  It can be done.

The difference is that the average Icelander was aware of what was going on and took action.  I don't expect this of the average American and especially the FSAer.  It takes an awakening of the sleeping giant and the giant is medicated (many Americans are medicated), and in the 1940s vernacular, fat, dumb and happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The people of Iceland have a much different culture.  I went up there 5 years in a row. They have a culture of individual responsibility.

Some examples:

There is boiling mud pots, and boiling pools of water at the volcanic sights and and no ropes, fences, signs, walkways etc. The culture is that if you are too stupid to know not to walk into a boiling mudpot or you walk around a volcanic area and fall into boiling water, then you are an idiot and deserve to die. There are no lawyers involved.

If you are in a vehicle accident and you get hit from behind, you are at fault because you obviously did something that prevented the person in back of you from being able to stop in time.

Civil law suits are very uncommon. There is no victim status. You are responsible for what happens to you. You are not a victim. It is not somebody else's fault, it is your fault.

It is a completely different mindset in their culture. People have honor.

When the people demonstrated to throw their parliament out, the people in parliament left because they were no longer wanted. Here, people in govt are corrupt and even when indicted for crimes, have no shame or honor and do not leave office voluntarily. They simply do not resign. They hire lawyers.

What happened in Iceland will not happen here without bloodshed, ropes, and trees.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you begin to see this on a widespread basis dig thru the closets for your bandoleers.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The people of Iceland have a much different culture.  I went up there 5 years in a row. They have a culture of individual responsibility.

Some examples:

There is boiling mud pots, and boiling pools of water at the volcanic sights and and no ropes, fences, signs, walkways etc. The culture is that if you are too stupid to know not to walk into a boiling mudpot or you walk around a volcanic area and fall into boiling water, then you are an idiot and deserve to die. There are no lawyers involved.

If you are in a vehicle accident and you get hit from behind, you are at fault because you obviously did something that prevented the person in back of you from being able to stop in time.

Civil law suits are very uncommon. There is no victim status. You are responsible for what happens to you. You are not a victim. It is not somebody else's fault, it is your fault.

When the people demonstrated to throw their parliament out, the people in parliament left because they were no longer wanted. Here, people in govt are corrupt and even when indicted for crimes, have no shame or honor and do not leave office voluntarily. They simply do not resign. They hire lawyers.

What happened in Iceland will not happen here without bloodshed, ropes, and trees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some examples:

We used to be that way.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
We used to be that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some examples:

We used to be that way.

Addiction to government makes a people weak.  Over time it kills them.

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#43]

You could get rid of at least half of management today and most companies would never miss them except for the companies golf league.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:24:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is the deep-seeded reason for this thread.  At least for me, and I can only speak for myself, but I've thought a lot about it. Why do I almost long for a financial reset?  My fear isn't of a financial collapse, it's of a continuation of the trajectory that we are on.  It's the fear that there won't be a natural economic "reset".  They'll just keep changing the rules, and mesmerizing the mob with smoke and mirrors.  We are moving towards a world where individual liberty is no more, replaced by authoritarian collectivism.  Marx was right, in a way, capitalism (...and democracy) are leading towards authoritarian collectivism.    

If you don't fit the collective, you will be weeded out, and they'll use government and it's tools to do it.  It won't happen overnight, it will happen slow and steady.  

I don't believe things are anywhere near as bad as they will get.  Barring a financial collapse, in a few decades we'll have a world that is cocktail mix of George Orwell's, Alex Huxley's, and Ayn Rand's dystopic vision.  A world where the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the individual.  A world where the majority rules, and the central planners of the political class are triumphant.  A collapse, while painful would at least derail our current trajectory, and while it's a "nuclear option", I've come to believe it's the ONLY thing which can do it.  

While there are certainly no guarantees that what comes after would be better, at least we have a chance they will.  On our current path there is NO chance.  There will be no political solution.  We aren't going to change things through elections.  No matter which political party get's elected to power the government will be bigger, the oligarchs and political class stronger, and individual freedom will be less.  

Capitalism is just the "free-market".  It's the economic expression of individual freedom. The only way to kill capitalism is to destroy individual freedom, and it's individual freedom that is the real target.  

I fear, there will be no economic reset.  Or at least not one which will save us anytime soon. Each "crisis" created by the natural forces of the free-market to correct our trajectory will be addressed by simply changing the rules. That's what's happened in the past, and that's what is being done right now.  
View Quote

Yup, that's exactly my view of the world too.  The longer this situation goes on, the less I pay attention to the day-to-day events in the world of politics.  The enemies of freedom are playing the long game, and they will most likely win.  I continually educate myself and will be ready if the time comes to defend myself and what is right, but until then, worrying about it won't do me any good.  At least that's what I keep telling myself.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#45]
The global economic reset is in progress.  All nations will be turd world nations.  Feudalism for everyone.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Well, they could " fine " their way back to solvency.
View Quote

Typical government solution.  Create a problem

...then create a solution, which creates more government, that creates new problems, allowing you to create even MORE solutions, more government, more enforcement, more excuses to steal (tax and fine).
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#48]

The financial media has been fretting sluggish new car sales for quite some time, but they shouldn't.  New data shows that the consumer is doing financially so well, that they're buying more pre-owned cars instead of new cars!

I love how they spin.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Pre-owned cars that have been repossessed...

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 152
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top