Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/1/2012 4:24:15 PM EDT
I've been spending hundreds of dollars a pop every time I need a new Krieger barrel for my service rifle and then some guy takes 3rd place(with a perfect score) in a match with a rifle barreled with a piece of rebar and the scope is epoxied on.

I feel like I've been had.  

The article is in this months' issue of Precision Shooting.

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Fascinating.  How did he rifle it?

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Please tell me this is a joke.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
lolwut.  

OP, are you serious?
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#4]
the fuck
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Ha-ha that's awesome. Just goes to show you that it most cases It's not the gun but the one running the trigger

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]
If that is true, that is too damn funny...
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]
A million ARFCOM gun snobs are having coniption fits right now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The article said he deep hole drilled it on his machine ( Ron Smith of RKS Barrels) and then cut the rifling by hand by "one tenth of a thousandth" at a time.

The article is in the latest issue of Precision Shooting.

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Just might be true...  If you were good enough behind the trigger, and wanted to blow some minds it would be fun.

Nothing wrong with the epoxy for a range gun, as long as it holds.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just might be true...  If you were good enough behind the trigger, and wanted to blow some minds it would be fun.

Note the wire in the picture.  Just in case the epoxy fails.

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The safety wire is a nice touch.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Note the wire in the picture.  Just in case the epoxy fails.

He musta been a motorcycle racer too!  
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The article said he deep hole drilled it on his machine ( Ron Smith of RKS Barrels) and then cut the rifling by hand by "one tenth of a thousandth" at a time.

Interesting. I wonder what kind of steel re-bar is made if. I suspect that re-bar is too soft to make a good material for a barrel and it will shoot out relativity quickly. I have no idea though; metallurgy is not any area that I am knowledgeable in. Anyone know?
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag for home...
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#15]
How exactly does one get the idea to turn a piece of rebar into a rifle barrel?

Pretty neat nonetheless.

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

First off

It is not rebar.

2nd

There are only around 7 Pratt Whitney Cut Rifling Machines in the United States. All of them owned by custum rifle makers like Obermeyer, Kreiger, Mike Rock and so on. If he cut rifled the barrel he is one of those guys.

Most bench rest shooter agree that you can make a good barrel out of crap steel with cut-rifling as it does not work harden the barrel when machined.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A million ARFCOM gun snobs are having coniption fits right now.

Sparks are flying out of their ears
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First off

It is not rebar.

2nd

There are only around 7 Pratt Whitney Cut Rifling Machines in the United States. All of them owned by custum rifle makers like Obermeyer, Kreiger, Mike Rock and so on. If he cut rifled the barrel he is one of those guys.

Too bad this guys in Canada.

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#19]
No way. For real? Any links?

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting. I wonder what kind of steel re-bar is made if. I suspect that re-bar is too soft to make a good material for a barrel and it will shoot out relativity quickly. I have no idea though; metallurgy is not any area that I am knowledgeable in. Anyone know?

Barrel steel is actually very mild steel to withstand the pressure (lots of tensile strength) and rebar is exactly that: Mild steel with a high flexibility and high tensile strength.

So realistically its probably not the worst steel you could use, BUT rebar is made cheaply and in large quantities with less QC than barrel blanks are.

So it probably wouldn't last very long (maybe a few hundred rounds) before you got pretty bad throat erosion, but it wouldn't be the worst thing you could possibly do....

I think the guy is a fucking genius for thinking outside the box like this. Why the fuck not, right? Good on him

ETA

If you had a broaching cutter and a lathe with a timed pull arm (for cutting threading), its theoretically possible to cut rifling (one groove at a time) and as the guy said, on ten thousandth at a time is about what you would do.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No way. For real? Any links?

I can't find anything online.

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#23]
omg zip gun ban it!
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Bet he could win a fuckload of money with that thing.

Show up to any range with a mouth full of chew and some dirty bib overalls.

Talk a buncha shit, whip out yer homebrew, wait for wagers...

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Well that's great and everything, but you couldn't use it as a weapon because it doesn't look cool.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#26]
oh please let it be real oh please let it be real oh please let it be real oh please let it be real oh please let it be real lease let it be real oh oh please let it be real please let it be real oh please let it be real oh please let it be real oh please let it be real oh please let it be real oh please let it be real oh please let it be real oh please let it be real oh please let it be real oh please let it be real oh poh please let it be real lease let it be realoh please let it be real
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#27]
This is one of the rifles brought out of Cuba, isnt it??

Brian
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How exactly does one get the idea to turn a piece of rebar into a rifle barrel?

Pretty neat nonetheless.

By watching an episode of 60 minutes back in the early 1990's when they did a segment on Kyber Pass firearms manufacturers.

My memory is fuzzy, but I do remember them filming some guys using rebar to make rifle barrels. The rifles in question at the time looked like copies of Enfield No.1 MK III's.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Barrel steel is actually very mild steel to withstand the pressure (lots of tensile strength) and rebar is exactly that: Mild steel with a high flexibility and high tensile strength.

So realistically its probably not the worst steel you could use, BUT rebar is made cheaply and in large quantities with less QC than barrel blanks are.

So it probably wouldn't last very long (maybe a few hundred rounds) before you got pretty bad throat erosion, but it wouldn't be the worst thing you could possibly do....
I think the guy is a fucking genius for thinking outside the box like this. Why the fuck not, right? Good on him

ETA

If you had a broaching cutter and a lathe with a timed pull arm (for cutting threading), its theoretically possible to cut rifling (one groove at a time) and as the guy said, on ten thousandth at a time is about what you would do.

Only .22 rimfire rifle barrels.  Carbon steel erodes with centerfire  pressures.  Rapidly.

Rebar can be mild to medium carbon.  Fine for rimfire.

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#30]
He probably tempered it.  The accuracy from that set up is from all the elbow grease and ingenuity put into it.  That is how you polish a turd.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Only .22 rimfire rifle barrels.  Carbon steel erodes with centerfire  pressures.  Rapidly.

I don't believe the caliber was listed for this rifle but they are shooting soft lead bullets in the 1300-1500fps range.  I'm wondering how much better or worse a rebar barrel would be from a barrel made 150 years ago.

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bet he could win a fuckload of money with that thing.

Show up to any range with a mouth full of chew and some dirty bib overalls.

Talk a buncha shit, whip out yer homebrew, wait for wagers...

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA

It's the plasma (think welders torch on the barrel throat) that kills a barrel.

The latest I heard that the barrel life for stainless was around 8 seconds of shot time and 7 seconds for carbon steal. One of the rifle makers (If I remember correctly was Lilja, but I am more than a few beers to the wind so don't quote me) actually did a small study.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Who made the action? It's not a Hall.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#35]
A good shooter with half decent gear is going to do well.  I'm pretty sure this holds true in any shooting sport.  It's the archer my friend.  Nobody ever won simply because they bought top of the line shit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A good shooter with half decent gear is going to do well.  I'm pretty sure this holds true in any shooting sport.  It's the archer my friend.  Nobody ever won simply because they bought top of the line shit.

I'm invoking "I wouldn't trust my life to it" so your argument is invalid.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#39]
make your own http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=10974/Product/-22-CALIBER-RIMFIRE-BARREL-LINERS
The hard part would be getting the 8mm hole in the rebar.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

He probably tempered it.  The accuracy from that set up is from all the elbow grease and ingenuity put into it.  That is how you polish a turd.

Hardened, then tempered.  Only if it is 0.35% carbon steel or greater.  Hardening that dimensioned bar would require 0.50% carbon which is rare.

Tempering reduces the hardness and restores toughness.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#42]
WTF? Did he hot glue the scope onto the Barrel?????

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Now I want to turn down a barrel and fix it in a rebar sleeve.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't believe the caliber was listed for this rifle but they are shooting soft lead bullets in the 1300-1500fps range.  I'm wondering how much better or worse a rebar barrel would be from a barrel made 150 years ago.

Barrel steels from 150 years ago are all hammer forged without benefit of vacuum treatment.  Carbon content is controlled by forging steel blister until the carbon content is correct.  Lots of art, little science.

Rebar of today is far higher quality.  Most comes from mini-mill plants which use scrap steel.  Alloying elements (Cr, Ni, Si, C etc) are all burned out by oxygen lance, then specific alloying elements are added to the heat (charge in the arc furnace) and then the furnace is tapped into the ladle.   From there, it goes to strand casting, usually 4x4 and larger "strands" which then are processed by hot roll/slitting/drawing.

Remember, the steel used in the Titanic was Bessemer converted, meaning air was used to burn the carbon out.  Nitrogen contaminates steel, making it brittle at colder temperatures.  Modern low carbon steels don't become brittle at -20 F temperatures.

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know the metallurgy of rebar but I do work with it regularly. It is very soft and can be bent with relative ease.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#46]
The new tier one!

When is the AR version coming out?

Everybody MUST have one........
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA

It's the plasma (think welders torch on the barrel throat) that kills a barrel.

The latest I heard that the barrel life for stainless was around 8 seconds of shot time and 7 seconds for carbon steal. One of the rifle makers (If I remember correctly was Lilja, but I am more than a few beers to the wind so don't quote me) actually did a small study.

Pressure and temperature are pretty much a constant.  Rimfire and cartridges like .45 ACP/.38 Special are fine with carbon steel.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll never look at a piece of rebar the same again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Does this issue cover APRIL as well.

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top