Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2012 5:37:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:38:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I threw my 6 cell away when that happened.  I still have the 4 cell in my sock drawer but very seldom ever use it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy a new light.  I bought 4 new mag lights the other day, 3 and 4 cell d's, cost me $15.00 each.  

I had a couple  that ended up corroding over the years. They were never the same after I tried to clean them up and ended up scrapping them anyway.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:43:32 AM EDT
[#3]
most of the time there's nothing that can be done. you have to carefully clean away the corrosion to see if there is anything substantial enough left underneath to be dependable enough to count on. having gone through this, too many times, is why all the optics and lights get checked quarterly and replaced twice a year. i've been burned by "new" batteries.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:46:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I did from a fenix light.  It took a long time of using cook on a q-tip, light bead blasting, dielectric grease.  It's been working for the past 2 years.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:46:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Do this at your own risk.

1. drill small hole in bottom of battery

2. screw in a screw

3. grab screw head with pliers and pull

4. repeat using a long screw driver with a tip bent 90 degrees with a slot in it to hook the screw heads.

But me I'd chunk it and get a modern light. Or do you need it for knocking heads?
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I had to trash mine. On a related note, I had a pack of energizer or Duracell, can't remember which, leak in the unopened package. They were a month old!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#7]
For me, I would say it isn't worth the time effort or energy anymore. There are far better lights out there that are easier to maintain, have better light source life, and a re cheaper to feed.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

2. screw in a screw

4. repeat using a long screw driver with a tip bent 90 degrees with a slot in it to hook the screw heads.

But me I'd chunk it and get a modern light. Or do you need it for knocking heads?

I was going to say "Slide Hammer"  but that's about the only way to do it
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

2. screw in a screw

I repaired one yesterday using a large EZ-Out bolt remover after drilling a hole in the end of the offending battery. Tapped it in and 'screwed' it out. Works great.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I had this happen to me yesterday.oddly enough.

After many attempts I finally threw it in a vise and used channel locks on the rear cap.

It opened but I don't feel it's worth trying to save.  I pulled the LED lamp and pitched the rest.

It was the one I kept in my truck, batteries seemed very wet.  I think the constant freeze / thaw cycles of having the car in the cold and then heating up caused condensate inside that killed it.

ETA: sounds like you've got the cap off but can't get the batteries themselves out?  Pitch it.  They're like 15 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Had a 3 cell I pulled out of the closet so corroded none of the batteries would come out.  
I'm stubborn and just couldn't throw it away.  Ended up taking it apart down to just the battery tube
and started prying and pounding.  Squirted wd40 into the tube to try and lube it up.
Got to the point I thought I was going to trash the tube, but just kept going.  Eventually they came out,
I cleaned up with inside of the tube, put it back together with fresh batteries, greased the o-rings and it works great.

So I guess what I really did was spend over a hour playing with battery acid, chemicals, and hand tools just to save $15.00 bucks.

It was worth it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I tried this twice.  It worked once.  I had to use a hammer and taped/pounded the corroded batteries out.  Took some Hoppies #9 and scrubbed the inside clean then dried it out.  Cleaned all contact points too.  I then reassembled it with fresh batteries.  The one time the corrosion was severe and it didn't work but I had a tube from another one that was broken.  Yes, I save parts when one goes bad.  I have three of them.

By the way Ray-o-Vacs suck.  I have had more flashlights ruined with them than any other.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:53:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For me, I would say it isn't worth the time effort or energy anymore. There are far better lights out there that are easier to maintain, have better light source life, and a re cheaper to feed.

This. I had that happen to mine. Sprayed some WD40 in there and let it set a couple weeks. Tapped it on the workbench and got the batteries to fall out. Messed around with it a LOT and never could get it to work. I shouldn't have wasted the time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:57:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

2. screw in a screw

For a Mag Lite it is easier to just pull the rubber cover off the switch. Then you will see the switch has a hollow tube, stick an allen wrench in there and loosen the set screw that holds the switch, light mechanism in. Then just pull that out the front and once that is out you can push the batteries through. This also lets you take apart and clean the switch. The switch and positive contact get corroded too and why some people can't get the light to work even after they pry the batteries out of the end.

Here's a video that shows how to do it. I recomend you mute it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Baking soda and water cleans up car batteries really well. So why not try that?
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Tried (with a Solitaire). Failed.

Recommend Eject.

Not legal advice, MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#18]
i had a 5 cell that did this.  i tried to beat the batteries out with a broom handle.  i beat that fucker right thru the center of the batteries, they were so corroded.  tossed it.  RIP flashlight i had 15 years.  oh well no big loss, now i have a surefire that is 1/10 the size and probably 100 times the light.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:07:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I had Energizer brand batteries that ruined a Princeton Tec headlamp of mine. I called and sent it into Energizer. Those batteries suck!
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#21]
The corrosive liquid in alkaline batteries is usually potassium hydroxide.  Any of the metallic hydroxide bases corrodes aluminum easily, which mag-lites are made of.

Once the battery leaks and corrosion has occurred, the aluminum has reacted to form an aluminum oxide complex with the potassium.  It swells up and takes up all extra space in the tube, making it almost impossible to remove the batteries.  However, it can be broken down by phosphoric acid.

So, if you have any phosphoric acid type metallic cleaner (naval jelly thinned with water, phosph-etch, etc), put a little bit down inside the mag-lite tube, roll it around to get the phosphoric acid to reach the corrosion and leave for a few minutes, maybe as much as 30 minutes, but not very long since the phosphoric can also attack the aluminum.

Typically, after the phosphoric acid soak, just knocking the mag-lite on a board will cause the batteries to start sliding out. Might take a few good smacks, but they'll start to move.  Rinse out all the phosphoric acid and let air dry.

I've resurrected 3 mag-lites over the years by this method and have brought them all back to working condition.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The corrosive liquid in alkaline batteries is usually potassium hydroxide.  Any of the metallic hydroxide bases corrodes aluminum easily, which mag-lites are made of.

Once the battery leaks and corrosion has occurred, the aluminum has reacted to form an aluminum oxide complex with the potassium.  It swells up and takes up all extra space in the tube, making it almost impossible to remove the batteries.  However, it can be broken down by phosphoric acid.

So, if you have any phosphoric acid type metallic cleaner (naval jelly thinned with water, phosph-etch, etc), put a little bit down inside the mag-lite tube, roll it around to get the phosphoric acid to reach the corrosion and leave for a few minutes, maybe as much as 30 minutes, but not very long since the phosphoric can also attack the aluminum.

Typically, after the phosphoric acid soak, just knocking the mag-lite on a board will cause the batteries to start sliding out. Might take a few good smacks, but they'll start to move.  Rinse out all the phosphoric acid and let air dry.

I've resurrected 3 mag-lites over the years by this method and have brought them all back to working condition.

I gotta remember that.  Last time I had a battery failure....I failed at clearing it.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I tried this twice.  It worked once.  I had to use a hammer and taped/pounded the corroded batteries out.  Took some Hoppies #9 and scrubbed the inside clean then dried it out.  Cleaned all contact points too.  I then reassembled it with fresh batteries.  The one time the corrosion was severe and it didn't work but I had a tube from another one that was broken.  Yes, I save parts when one goes bad.  I have three of them.

By the way Ray-o-Vacs suck.  I have had more flashlights ruined with them than any other.

Not all Ray-o-vacs are the same. They must contract out their production runs to various manufacturers. I've seen various lots of their batteries that were made in the USA, Germany, and China.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#24]
1. Buy now Maglite.

2. Throw old Maglite in trash.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Little question related to this thread, If lithium batteries leak, do they do the same damage as alkaline batteries.
I just switched to lithium AAA's in my RDS, so im curious.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Over the years, I had that happen to both Maglight and Streamlight "multi-cell" units.    Ended up having to pitch both.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#28]

drill a hole into the body, weld on a shrader valve, remove end cap, hit it with compressed air and pow!!  either the batteries fly out, or the head blows off.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
drill a hole into the body, weld on a shrader valve, remove end cap, hit it with compressed air and pow!!  either the batteries fly out, or the head hand blows off.

FIFY  
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Little question related to this thread, If lithium batteries leak, do they do the same damage as alkaline batteries.

if Lithiums develop leaks your light is MUCH more likely to Kaboom.....the only cleaning you'll need to do is the frags...they have a tendency to get energetic
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I had that happen to me with a 4 cell maglight about a year ago. I tried for about 20 minutes or so just trying to tap those corroded batteries out with no luck. I ended up pitching the whole thing in the garbage.

Been using a full sized rechargeable LED flashlight ever since. I'm done with maglight.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#33]
You bet.  the best way to do it is unscrew the end cap, and beat the flashlight against the head of a burglar until the batteries come out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had that happen to me with a 4 cell maglight about a year ago. I tried for about 20 minutes or so just trying to tap those corroded batteries out with no luck. I ended up pitching the whole thing in the garbage.

Been using a full sized rechargeable LED flashlight ever since. I'm done with maglight.

My old partner broke his Maglight......threw it like a goddamned javelin at a guy who had sucker punched him and run away..Probably a good thing he missed the guy (Broken eyeglasses) because the maglight was bent, and the batteries had burst inside the tube.  he said "Never again' and for the rest of the time on the road he carried a cheapo plastic Everready light..which worked out after a Shittum accused him of whacking him with a flashlight.....whole courtroom pretty much dissolved in laughter when the 6'5 280 lb guy pulled a crappy blue plastic light out of his jacket pocket, and said on the record he hadnt owned a maglight in about 8 years.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#35]
LOL, had one last week do the same.
Got the first two out without TOO much effort, but smashed that sumbitch to pieces trying to get the last one out!

I did, but the tube was destroyed at that point.
But I won!
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#36]
ya'll send me your broken maglights please.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd try pouring Coke in it and let it sit a while.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a graveyard full of damn Maglights. Got sick of fucking with blown bulbs, exploding batteries, fucked up tailcaps. I'm a Surefire man now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#40]
What sound does it make?

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#41]
wd 40 and lots of pounding.  i didnt even try to put batteries back in bc there was so much corrosion
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#42]
I'd take all the "broken" Mag Lites I can get, they are easy to repair. Before I learned how though I tossed a six cell Mag Lite over a non functioning switch. That sucked because when I bought it, it was a 40 dollar flashlight and that was in mid 90's dollars so like 55 bucks in todays dollars.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Can of coke has always worked for me.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#44]
One I could never get going again.

I kept some parts of it but the body is not one of them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if Lithiums develop leaks your light is MUCH more likely to Kaboom.....the only cleaning you'll need to do is the frags...they have a tendency to get energetic

Guess i better switch em out every once in a while so my Red dot doesn't blow up in my face
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Depending on your battery used, they might warranty the batteries not to leak and replace the flashlight.

Also look at having Mag replace it. They're based out of Ontario, CA, so at least a replacement would be supporting an American product.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#47]
send it to Rayovac.
Energizer replace a couple for me years ago when their batteries did the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#48]
I have sent several back to maglight and had them replaced at no charge when using energizer batteries.  I dont know if they still do that or not.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#49]
If it's an old Maglight (non LED) it's junk anyway.  Embrace the new generation of flashlights.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Same thing same light same Rayovac batt about 5 years ago.

Sent the light to rayovac, they sent me a check for like $30.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top