Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Great. I can't stand old whiney bitch Eli but he shed that. He has grown into the QB he could be and he is great at it. His big bro only has one ring and who did he duel to win it? Meanwhile Eli has beat Brady twice in the SB. That is greatness. He has shown he is clutch. He owns the 4th quarter, he's a cool customer and isn't afraid to make the game winning plays. I despise him and his team but I have to give him credit where credit is due. This superbowl was about a great QB supporting his defense that is finally breaking down some.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#2]
If he ain't great yet he is at the very least VERY good IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably not great but has better stats than his brother.

Funny...all those years of living in Peyton's shadow and baby bro has the 2nd win.....and beating Brady in the process

Something I've noticed is that he can make an average tight end or receiver look good as long as they can catch the ball. Going back to 07 other than Steve Smith and Shockey, the NYG didn't have very many good receivers but Eli was able to get the ball in their hands when they needed to make plays and 1st downs. I agree on time will tell where he stacks up against an Elway, Montana or Namath.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's an average QB that had an uncharacteristic good year.  The Giants were extremely fortunate to even be in the playoffs this year.  Then, every team they played pretty much laid down for them  or had an injury to hold them back (Gronk).  The stars alligned for them.

Nope. They took it to another lever when playing the Cowboys and after that no one was even close to them. They just gelled and the rest is now history.

ETA. In the college football threads about having playoffs, I talk about teams that step up in the playoffs.

This is what the Giants did. It is what great teams do. They step up their play to win.

The Cowboys are garbage.  No big achievement there.  

I assume by "gelled" you mean they limped into the playoffs, played an Atlanta team that laid down, then played a Green bay team that just didn't show up at all, then played a San Fran team that outplayed them the whole game only to have two bonehead plays by one special teams guy screw them, then play a Patriots team with their most dangerous offensive weapon at about 60%.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's an average QB that had an uncharacteristic good year.  The Giants were extremely fortunate to even be in the playoffs this year.  Then, every team they played pretty much laid down for them  or had an injury to hold them back (Gronk).  The stars alligned for them.

Nope. They took it to another lever when playing the Cowboys and after that no one was even close to them. They just gelled and the rest is now history.

ETA. In the college football threads about having playoffs, I talk about teams that step up in the playoffs.

This is what the Giants did. It is what great teams do. They step up their play to win.

I assume by "gelled" you mean they limped into the playoffs, played an Atlanta team that laid down, then played a Green bay team that just didn't show up at all, then played a San Fran team that outplayed them the whole game only to have two bonehead plays by one special teams guy screw them, then play a Patriots team with their most dangerous offensive weapon at about 60%.

Same argument could be said for the Pats vs Ravens.

Except for a couple bonehead plays, it would have been Ravens vs 49ers...if we could just get rid of that annoying scoreboard.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#7]
He is great. If he played in a pass first system, all the stat-heads would have an easier time comparing him. He is clutch on 3rd down and in the 4th quarter, which is no surprise considering those are the essential pass oriented downs in an "establish the run first, control the clock" offense. There's no question he is tough as hell after watching them play the 49er's this year. He got his ass kicked and never took it out on his team mates.

After taking over mid season in 2004, Eli has lead the Giants to 5 post-seasons and has won two Super Bowls, both times being named MVP, while coming very close to the playoffs in two other seasons. After Toomer retired and Plax shot himself, Eli didn't have much to throw to, besides Steve Smith and then a young Hakeem Nicks. He certainly doesn't have the problem anymore, Nicks has really come into his own and is one of the best receivers in the NFL, and certainly was the best in the playoffs this year, and well, if you follow football at all you know the story of Victor Cruz.

I predict Eli will improve even more next year and (maybe) start silencing the haters.

The most telling stats of all are his two rings, and the fact that he beat Tom Brady and the Patriots in both games. There is no question Brady is great, he may end up being The Greatest, but Eli beat him when it counted, twice.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is no question Brady is great, he may end up being "The Greatest", but Eli beat him when it counted, twice.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#9]
That's BS.  He had one  of the best years of his career.  He has two Superbowl rings in lest than 5 years.  The giants earned there spot by winning 5 HUGE games one after another.  Plus he is more clutch than just about any quarterback in the league.   Bottom line is that ELI is a future HOFer.  Don't be a hater.  Give respect where its due.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a pissed Eagles Fan to me.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no question Brady is great, he may end up being "The Greatest", but Eli beat him when it counted, twice.

Are you questioning that Tom Brady could end up being the greatest QB of all time? In 12 seasons (two of which he only played part of one game in each) he has led his team to the post season nine times, 45,000 total yards, 338 total passing TDs, 13 total rushing TDs, 5 Super Bowl appearances, 3 wins, two SB MVPs, two league MVPs, and an arms length of NFL records.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably not great but has better stats than his brother.

i'm results oriented. Peyton =1 ring

Eli =2 rings and better yet HE STUCK IT TO NEW ENGLAND TWICE.

that's like 5 rings equivalent.
This.

Eli is a great QB.  He delivers when the chips are down.

Best of all...he consistently whips The Cheaters!  

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you questioning that Tom Brady could end up being the greatest QB of all time? In 12 seasons (two of which he only played part of one game in each) he has led his team to the post season nine times, 45,000 total yards, 338 total passing TDs, 13 total rushing TDs, 5 Super Bowl appearances, 3 wins, two SB MVPs, two league MVPs, and an arms length of NFL records.

Maybe it is due to parity, but to me, it looked like none of the teams in the NFL playoffs were all that dominant. The Patriots & Giants both got lucky and their QB's helped raise their teams about being mediocre.

Patriots only beat winning teams in the playoffs and the Giants were 7-7 at one point.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm more bitter than pissed.

Look, I'm just saying they aren't a great team.  They played well enough to beat the teams in front of them, so good for them, but 2 months ago people were thinking Coughlin was done in NY and now everyone wants to put Eli in the Hall.  

Aw, fuck it, Eli FOR PRESIDENT!!!

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah pretty lucky. Sometimes that is how sports work...When the team that wins just has better luck, less injuries and/or happens to just play a little better than the other team.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Edit.  I don't want to hurt anyone's fragile feelings.

Never know, one of the smartasses on here might get out from behind the screen and hunt me down someday
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Joe Montana was a great quaterback.
Steve Young was a great quarterback.

Eli Manning is a very very very good quarterback.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#18]
"then play a Patriots team with their most dangerous offensive weapon at about 60%."

pretty sure the pats have more than one "dangerous offensive weapon" on the team (Welker had what..120+ receptions this year not to mention Hernandez is a beast in his own right). even deion branch is still very effective.
the sad part is when its evident that Gronk isn't going to cut it before the first half ended, they have Ocho sitting on the sidelines and they still don't use him except for a handful of plays. say
what you will about Ocho but he is a pro bowl reciever (sitting on the sidelines during the SUPER BOWL) and can still burn MOST but  not all secondaries. Belichik should have used him could've changed the game.

oh yeah ELI with two super bowl wins and MVPs: great quarterback
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Nearly great at best. Sure he now has more bling on his fingers than his brother but I suspect he will never come-up to Peyton's level as a player or a leader.

Way too many peaks and valleys year end and year out to put him in the great catagory. He could be replaced with a decent back-up and the team not skip a beat.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#20]
He's a whiny bitch.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Cam Newton FTW!!!

Go Panthers!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#22]
A good QB who had a good season and an amazing post-season.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#23]
What's the definition of great?

If Great is Superbowl wins, then yes he is great, he was won 2 Superbowls.

Lets compare

Current QB's                    Superbowl Wins

Tom Brady                        3
Ben Roethlisberger          2
Drew Brees                      1
Aaron Rodgers                 1
Peyton Manning               1

Retired QB's                   Superbowl Wins

Terry Bradshaw              4
Joe Montana                  4
Troy Aikman                   3
Steve Young                   3 (2 as back up)
John Elway                     2
Bob Griese                     2
Jim Plunkett                   2
Roger Staubach             2
Bart Starr                       2

So he is 1 of only 3 current starting QB's with multiple Superbowl wins.
And he is 1 of only 11 starting QB's of all time with multiple Superbowl wins.

Sounds like a great QB to me, but what do I know I am only Giants fan.

(P.S. I know Phil Simms has 2 rings, but he was injured)
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look, I'm just saying they aren't a great team.  They played well enough to beat the teams in front of them, so good for them, but 2 months ago people were thinking Coughlin was done in NY and now everyone wants to put Eli in the Hall....

One thing that an Eagles fan will never understand, is that to be a champion, you have to be a winner.

Losers can be uber-talented, but they still lose, because they're losers. Just look at this year's Eagles Dream Team.  Then listen to Philly sports radio, and hear the blame and excuses and bitter mewling.

It's about attitude and poise.
When the Eagles had a chance, Reid choked, McNabb choked, the whole damned team choked.
Why?  Because they're losers.  They've ALWAYS been losers and they always WILL be losers.

The Giants rolled into the playoffs, and they reeked of momentum and victory.  Non-bitter football fans all across the NFL saw this coming.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#25]
And he's only 31  
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Garbage.

Whiny garbage.

his 2 rings say otherwise

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Great.

No doubt.

He will also break all previous Giant QB records in the next few years.

Greatness is measured in rings. That's what playing the game is about.

Winning the big one and he's done it twice against insurmountable odds.

Not as flashy or "cool" but a great QB.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#28]
He's a great QB.  I don't think it can be argued any more.  Starting with his toughness, at 6' 4" and 230lbs, he stands in the pocket and survives tough games (like NFC championship game), physically his arm is as strong and accurate as anyone's in the league, and mentally he gets it done at the end of the game.  You can't argue with his clutch play and the insane number of games he won in the last possession throughout his career.

Did you see his throw to Manningham?  One of the best throws ever at the most critical moment of the biggest game of the year.

In any case, whatever we say, he's a two time Superbowl winner and MVP.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look, I'm just saying they aren't a great team.  They played well enough to beat the teams in front of them, so good for them, but 2 months ago people were thinking Coughlin was done in NY and now everyone wants to put Eli in the Hall....

One thing that an Eagles fan will never understand, is that to be a champion, you have to be a winner.

Losers can be uber-talented, but they still lose, because they're losers. Just look at this year's Eagles Dream Team.  Then listen to Philly sports radio, and hear the blame and excuses and bitter mewling.

It's about attitude and poise.
When the Eagles had a chance, Reid choked, McNabb choked, the whole damned team choked.
Why?  Because they're losers.  They've ALWAYS been losers and they always WILL be losers.

The Giants rolled into the playoffs, and they reeked of momentum and victory.  Non-bitter football fans all across the NFL saw this coming.

Ummm...OK.    

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Garbage.

Whiny garbage.

Trent Dilfer has a ring.  Is he a great QB?
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes, he is now considered an elite QB.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
what is the consensus on arfcom?

Used to think he was mediocre and inconsistent.  

He was absolutely great this season.  Absolutely clutch in critical moments.

Oh, and for the record, I'm a Cowboys fan.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Garbage.

Whiny garbage.

2>1

Of course, the question remains, how many you got?
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Great quarterback.

Whipped up on Brady twice, who is also considered a great QB.

Nuff said.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Garbage.

Whiny garbage.

2>1

I have none, as I don't even play professional football.  I don't need to play professional football to know a great QB when I see one, just like I don't need to be a professional chef to know when my food tastes good.

Just so I have this right:

Winning the Superbowl makes a QB great (regardless of how average he may be), but only if he wins more than one.  1 ring = may or may not be great, but 2 rings = instantly great?
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right. Those two rings were sheer luck, the stars aligned, and someone sold their soul to the devil...
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Garbage.

Whiny garbage.

2>1

I have none, as I don't even play professional football.  I don't need to play professional football to know a great QB when I see one, just like I don't need to be a professional chef to know when my food tastes good.

Winning the Superbowl makes a QB great (regardless of how average he may be), but only if he wins more than one.  1 ring = may or may not be great, but 2 rings = instantly great?

When a quarterback leads his team through tough playoffs, beating the best teams in the Conference in their own stadiums...

...and then he beats the team that the media and sportswriters were hailing as "the greatest football team ever"....

...and he does it for a second time, EACH time earning the Super Bowl Most Valuable Player Award...

That's a pretty strong indicator that you're a bit more than average.

There's nothing "instant" about it.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nearly great at best. Sure he now has more bling on his fingers than his brother but I suspect he will never come-up to Peyton's level as a player or a leader.

Way too many peaks and valleys year end and year out to put him in the great catagory. He could be replaced with a decent back-up and the team not skip a beat.

100% agree with the peyton comment.

Peyton was best described as "an offensive question with no defensive answer."  he was conssitently excellent.

As the patriots had their final drive, I noted to my friends that the only quarterback who I could have GUARANTEED to have done that drive and scored would have been peyton manning and maybe eli manning and maybe tom brady.  
peyton could do it anytime - 1st quarter, fourth quarter, 2AM and surprised out of bed? WHENEVER.
any rational observer will admit that eli could have succesffully prosecuted that drive IF HE HAD TO - he's done it too many times to deny that.
brady was definitely on that list as well, but his receivers came up short.
When the pats got the ball - I was worried.

Who else could you give the ball to with 1:00 and 100 yards left and guaranteed a TD.
In my mind, only peyton.
Eli will never be peyton in terms of the certitude, but I honesty don't think Eli's done blinging up his hand yet.

as far as eli being great, history will tell.
he's certainly among the best.
maybe a third ring will silence his doubters.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#39]

if Manning had Brady's looks, he'd be considered the greatest of all time

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

if Manning had Brady's looks, he'd be considered the greatest of all time

You are probably right
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Garbage.

Whiny garbage.

2>1

According to this guy, who's only argument is "how many rings you got", yes.

Actually, using your own reasoning, you can't say that he is a good QB unless you are qualified. So, as you so eloquently stated, how many rings you got???

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#42]
weird post...
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#43]
He as won two Super Bowls and still may not have hit his prime yet.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Although he sent my team (49ers) packing I like Eli and have no doubt he is a future hall of famer.  I would say he has a much better chance at another SB appearance than his bro.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hate him or love him. He produces & wins when it counts. That is what makes an elite QB, IMHO.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

This!
And his wife don't make him look like even MORE of a whiny, whipped bitch than he already is, like some OTHER Superbowl QB who isn't Eli Manning.

SUCK IT NEW ENGLAND!

(and I mean that in the nicest way possible)
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Definetely an elite QB. If his team was more consistent with multiple 12+ win consecutive seasons more people would realize it.

I wish I could be there at the Manning family Thanksgiving dinner just to see him flossing two rings in front of his big brother.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Name another QB with two rings won without some sort of controversy in recent times..yeah you really can't.Eli is a great QB.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Great.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
He's improving. He has a ways to go before "great" is attached.....but he's definitely getting there.

Improving to What? Where does he go beyond winning the superbowl?
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#50]
He is a b*tch is what he is.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top