Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 59
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The State of the nation and continual decline s will just keep pushing the crime rate higher and higher in some areas.  Keeping the OPs exquisite post in mind at all times will serve every one of us well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent post. Thanks for the input. Its nice to see the info from your perspective.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:
Great post.

If someone challenges you after you indicate you are armed say "I don't have a gun". Then they will know you do.

I don't understand this part.

Because, everyone on the "street" lies.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By watchwatch:
Did anyone else notice their heart rate increase?.

Yep!
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
thank you for the good post
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Very informative.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DJdiesel:
You cant really "teach" anyone situational awareness, my fiance just kinda thinks it a form of paranoia and no matter how much i try to explain it no one ever gets it and they act like i have a bad attitude of living life of sorts.

Im gonna make everyone read this, thank you

I don't agree that you cannot teach it. I learned a great deal about it in the army. I don't think anyone is born knowing to be alert in dangerous situations. It's a learned behavior.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
This should be tacked.  Period.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:
Great post.

If someone challenges you after you indicate you are armed say "I don't have a gun". Then they will know you do.

I don't understand this part.

I thought the same thing. Thanks for writing your post OP.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#10]

This may be one of the best and most timely posts I've ever read here.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't agree with some of the things you mentioned your post OP, and the advice is hard to give to such a broad audience, but I understand what you're trying to do and why.  The community is better because of the good advice you have to give

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:29:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackhawk101] [#12]
+10000 to great fucking post - I printingt his out and taking it with me to a lethal force seminar I am going to in a couple of weeks.

I was held at gunpoint during a bank robbery in Canada of all places during a high school trip to Montreal. I swore never again to feel that helpless.

In almost 30 years of carrying I have drawn twice. Once was at 2 AM while taking a walk with the g/f when a homie shambled up asking for a dollar, when I said I didnt have any his reply was "Well you gonna fucking give me some while putting his hand in his pocket. His tune changed when I swept the g/f behind me wth me left hand and drew with my right- I locked my tritiums on this little button over his left breast, his eyes got all big and after that it was all "Its cool.. its cool... i dont want no trouble... its cool...".

Second time was 3 punks trying to jump me and my son for his PS2 many years ago. They pulled a knife, I pulled a Combat Commander,this was followed by "Fuck he has a gun!!!" and the sound of feet running fast and far away.

So I endorse the draw fast and draw early. And situational awareness! In both cases I saw them coming and got the primal hinky feeling/hair on back of neck feeling that one is being stalked.

I would also say heed that primal ganglia that tells one you are being stalked! I had a friend who was visiting another city and marked himself as a tourist- Mark is a big dude, multiple black belts, krav maga instructor, etc. He said he was walking across the street and all of a sudden violently flinched because he felt like something was thrown at his head. He turned around and was being fanned by four guys- he focussed on the ring leader and with non-visual ques informed the guy that Mark may go down but he was going to kill the leader. He said they stared at each other and finally the leader shook his head and everyone backed off and went back down the street.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Great read.  Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Very informative post. What's it doing in GD?

Thank you!

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:35:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joedirt1977] [#15]
Everything in the OP is 100% spot-on.

I served in the invasion of Iraq and have been a C.O. since 2004. As a result, situational awareness is an involuntary state of being for me, and it saved my ass in 2007.

I worked 11 to 7 at the time and kept odd hours as a result. I was grocery shopping and paid for my things and headed to the parking lot at around 3 a.m. Not 5 feet out of the exit I notice 3 "urban youth" behind me and I knew something was up. My car was the only one within 4 rows, and these motherfuckers had no groceries.

It was obvious they intended to rob me, car-jack me, or, both.

I sped up to gain some separation, stepped behind my cart, threw back my coat, and got a grip on my 1911. They stopped IMMEDIATELY.

Looking back on it, it was strange. They just stood there.

After a few seconds I asked, "Is there something I can help you MOTHERFUCKERS with?" They took off running behind the store.

Other than a few times in Iraq, I have never been that shaken in my life.

OP correctly stresses SITUATIONAL AWARENESS.

Too many folks pay ZERO attention to their surroundings.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By makintrax73:
This has got to be one of the best posts I have ever seen in GD.  Thank you.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank You! That is an outstanding post and has been very informative.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#18]
You cant really "teach" anyone situational awareness, my fiance just kinda thinks it a form of paranoia and no matter how much i try to explain it no one ever gets it and they act like i have a bad attitude of living life of sorts.

You can get too paranoid.

Anyway excelent post OP
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Excellent post.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Great post.  Just wanted to add a bit to it.

If by chance you are having a conversation with a stranger you are already at a bit of a disadvantage, unfortunately we are social beings and we interact with people every day.

One thing to watch for is the the grooming move and the look around.  A punk will do a grooming move (adjust glasses, brush hair, swipe his nose, etc.) This lets them know you are relaxed and they can move their hands without danger to themselves.

Next they will look around for any witnesses.  The reason is obvious, they want to be alone when they commit the crime.

Be safe and understand that anybody you meet on the street wants something from you.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you, Sir.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By joedirt1977:

<snip>

I grew up in Brooklyn, New York in the late 70's / 80's.  I got to see a couple of city wide black outs during that time.  We learned at a young age and was taught by my parents to have situational awareness.

I'm having a hard time raising my kids in the burbs of Utah teaching the same thing.

Perfect example, when we first moved in a few of the neighbors kids would find my doors locked.  I mean dead bolt, door knob and even a latch.  They only wanted to come over and invite my boys to play.  They couldn't understand why I keep my doors locked.

Also, if they followed me through my garage before the garage door came down and entered my home without announcing themselves or asking if they could enter, they would "unfortunately" see "Mr Sterling18" point his EDC at them and wondering why there's a red laser on their center mass.  I've had a couple of parents actually call and complain.  Well I spoke to them about it but it was like talking to liberals and I live in Utah one of the most conservative states in the Union.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:48:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MP0117] [#23]
Good stuff.

I've read and heard a number of lectures on the subject, and I have to say this is an excellent summary.

ETA - Glock 19, FTW.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Very validating and thought provoking.  I was reviewing my program of instruction for the CCW courses I teach for this year...I will be incorporating much  of this post.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By 1911SFOREVER:

Very validating and thought provoking.  I was reviewing my program of instruction for the CCW courses I teach for this year...I will be incorporating much  of this post.

+1

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By giraffejeff:
Great post.  Just wanted to add a bit to it.

If by chance you are having a conversation with a stranger you are already at a bit of a disadvantage, unfortunately we are social beings and we interact with people every day.

One thing to watch for is the the grooming move and the look around.  A punk will do a grooming move (adjust glasses, brush hair, swipe his nose, etc.) This lets them know you are relaxed and they can move their hands without danger to themselves.

Next they will look around for any witnesses.  The reason is obvious, they want to be alone when they commit the crime.

Be safe and understand that anybody you meet on the street wants something from you.

Great post by the OP, and your reply was very informative.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Try being a trucker....all of us have to deal with this shit all the time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#28]
deep powerful stuff, thanks OP.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By CRC:

You can get too paranoid.

Anyway excelent post OP

Too much of anything can be bad...as can too little

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By piccolo:
Originally Posted By makintrax73:
This has got to be one of the best posts I have ever seen in GD.  Thank you.

+1

+1000 Great post. Thank you for taking the time to post this. I hope people will read and learn.

RLTW

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the insight. This is what keeps me coming back.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#32]
damnit threads like this make me love arfcom
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Great post, thank you!
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:14:55 PM EDT
[#34]
5 star post.

Already emailed it to a couple of people.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Great info.  This ties in well with the book I am currently reading.

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:18:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TaskForce] [#36]
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Outstanding, thank you!
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:23:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: resq2106] [#38]
I am humbled and grateful that this member of our online family cared enough about us to sit down and write this. It means a hell of a lot. It reinforces my own mindset, and I am thankful.

Edit had my 15 year old son read this he says you need to get it published.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I read it all.  Twice.  Thank you for posting this.  

Im glad I read this now, as I was thinking about buying a new carry gun, something expensive most likely.  Based on this, its probably gonna be a Glock or M&P now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I didn't read every post but I will only add, do NOT disrespect the knife, in close quarters it will kill you faster than any .44 magnum's reputation. 85% of everyone shot with a gun survives

many thugs carry knives because they are cheap, easy to conceal, QUIET, and kill people fast.

always keep this in mind, whether in a fight with a knife or gun....you have a 1 in 3 chance of surviving. if he's better than you you die, if you are equally matched you both die, if you are faster and better than him you win, he dies.

think about that for a minute and let that sink in, in any fight with a weapon you are more likely to die than prevail. I don't mean give up and not fight, that's stupid, I am saying it's very important to be trained, have the right mindset and avoid confrontation when ever possible.

good thread.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Bravo.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By sterling18:

Originally Posted By joedirt1977:
<snip>

I grew up in Brooklyn, New York in the late 70's / 80's.  I got to see a couple of city wide black outs during that time.  We learned at a young age and was taught by my parents to have situational awareness.

I'm having a hard time raising my kids in the burbs of Utah teaching the same thing.

Perfect example, when we first moved in a few of the neighbors kids would find my doors locked.  I mean dead bolt, door knob and even a latch.  They only wanted to come over and invite my boys to play.  They couldn't understand why I keep my doors locked.

Also, if they followed me through my garage before the garage door came down and entered my home without announcing themselves or asking if they could enter, they would "unfortunately" see "Mr Sterling18" point his EDC at them and wondering why there's a red laser on their center mass.  I've had a couple of parents actually call and complain.  Well I spoke to them about it but it was like talking to liberals and I live in Utah one of the most conservative states in the Union.

It sounds like you were the one with SA fail, letting some kid sneak into your garage and into your house without seeing him.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Originally Posted By dan45678:

I don't agree that you cannot teach it. I learned a great deal about it in the army. I don't think anyone is born knowing to be alert in dangerous situations. It's a learned behavior.

It's absolutely teachable. The problem is people often talk about "situational awareness" but don't relate what, exactly, people should be looking out for.

Somebody rolling in a convoy through Baghdad is going to have to look for specific things that are signs bad shit is about to go down. They have to learn what those things are one way or another, either through training or because the last ambush they rolled through had a lot of similarities.

Sometimes it's possible to recognize bad situations on a subconscious level and not even be able to articulate why with our rational mind.

People absolutely can be taught to recognize the early signs of a criminal attack and to take immediate action to hopefully avoid or, if necessary, confront the attack.

Definitely a teachable skill.  I've had several students contact me, some years after they took my course, to tell me that what they learned in my class gave them enough of an edge to see and avoid a situation.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Bravo sir

I have reformatted your post via word for better layout with the proper cite and link, will be good reading material for students.

If anyone would like the word doc shoot me a email at [email protected]
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Lots of good information there.

Reminded me a lot of your writing style. Very well thought out, extremely easy to read.
OP, I am not only going to save this to read it again. I am going to email this to my wife to read together, and my daughters, and several of my friends.

When we were finally allowed to (legally) carry concealed in WI (as of Nov 1, 2011), I noticed how much my mindset has changed while carrying. My head is more so on a swivel then it has ever been in my life. I "see" more things that I used to somewhat ignore.

Your post tells me I'm about half way there. In training you're always told to keep it hidden. My eyes were opened quite a bit with your world view of bad guys.

I hope you don't mind, I am going to share this, and give credit to a guy from arfcom. This has been one of the finest posts I've read on here, ever. Thank you for taking the time!

As others have said, this should be a sticky. Even Ed Sr. made comment recently about how many fellow arcom'rs have been robbed lately...

Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Great post, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#49]
You know a piece of writing is powerful and/or relevant because even as you are reading it a part of your mind begins making a list inside your head of all the people you know who NEED to read it.

This work has that quality.

Thank you for writing this.  Well done.

You might have saved quite a few people from a great deal of unnecessary pain.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Utterly fantastic post sir. Best thing I've read on this site in months. ever. I'm going to have my SO read this, she needs to learn not to talk to strangers on the street.
Page / 59
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top