Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2012 2:05:51 PM EDT
I picked up a Ruger SR-22 pistol Saturday.

I love the gun, it's more fun to shoot than my G34. Nice single action trigger, I could keep them all in the bullseye at 10 yards so pretty happy with that.

But, I am having some problems with it. Sometimes it fails to strip off the 1st round in the magazine. I'll shoot it and the slide will cycle, but I guess the round doesn't come up far enough

for whatever reason. It was always the first round, and I'm positive the magazine was all the way in every time. Also, only one of my magazines won't lock the slide back when empty.

That kind of bummed me out, then when I took it apart I really got bummed out. I noticed some unusual wear on the slide:

Here you can see it is actually wearing into the slide, its not just the finish coming off.

Kinda bummed out, I'm thinking I should call Ruger in the morning, because I don't think that wear is normal for only 500 rounds.

What say you?

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if that was a defect or damage covered up by your gunstore with a magic marker.  That's a weird wear signature.

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Not to bag on you at all, but that looks really poorly made, you could contact Ruger but me, I'd be looking to trade it off immediately and let someone else be the Ruger development/recall subject...

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, it sound like you are now part of Ruger's R&D staff.  That sucks for you that this is going on and YES, I would call them up asap

that is not something I would put up with as "normal"
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That sucks.  It's also what happens when the mechanisms for firearms are made out of ill selected materials, such as plastic and aluminum.

They are great materials, but must be used appropriately and their properties must be considered.  A quality plastic frame with steel guides prevents this:

(That's right, 3 pounds empty)

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

OP, it sound like you are now part of Ruger's R&D staff.  That sucks for you that this is going on and YES, I would call them up asap

that is not something I would put up with as "normal"

Thanks, I didn't figure it looked like normal wear.

I really like the pistol so I'm going to hound them until they get it right, so much easier to clean than my Mk III and funner to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]
wouldn't that be sort of dishonest?  
Edit - and don't tell us you would fully disclose - because you know you wouldn't.  

Quoted:

Not to bag on you at all, but that looks really poorly made, you could contact Ruger but me, I'd be looking to trade it off immediately and let someone else be the Ruger development/recall subject...

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no kidding

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
that seems to be the issue with them so far, the mags dont load the round into the chamber, call ruger
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd make that call. I've been scouring the internet for range reports and reviews while mine is on order. I've heard or seen nothing like what you have shown here. I have heard that Ruger's customer service is great. Good luck on resolving your issue.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

wouldn't that be sort of dishonest douchebaggy?  

Edit - and don't tell us you would fully disclose - because you know you wouldn't.  

Quoted:

Fixt.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#13]
damn i had one of these on my list , and i had hopes for the aluminum slide over the p22 zinc slide. Looks like is too soft or poor fit during function ?  will have wait for reports of others now , might wait a year or 2.  My ruger MK3 hunter is .22 pistol perfection , love it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

damn i had one of these on my list , and i had hopes for the aluminum slide over the p22 zinc slide. Looks like is too soft or poor fit during function ?  will have wait for reports of others now , might wait a year or 2.  My ruger MK3 hunter is .22 pistol perfection , love it.

My buddy bought one after shooting mine and shot it today, he texted me and said his doesn't have the wear problem that mine does.

I'm just lucky I guess
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no kidding

It was Ruger's reputation for recalls that prompted my comment on someone else being the recall subject, but how's trading this handgun off dishonest?  Ruger has apparently built a firearm that isn't up to your expectations and perhaps it's not quite ready for prime time, who knows, you apparently are unhappy enough with it to ponder contacting Ruger regarding build quality and performance so deciding to trade off a poorly made, poorly functioning, questionably manufactured firearm is now dishonest?  I've dumped every firearm I've owned that didn't meet expectations, I only own Colt, Noveske, and Wilson now.  If it's dishonest to sell off things that are not a quality build then I'm certainly guilty as charged.  If you wish to keep a low quality poorly operating firearm that's your business, but to believe it dishonest to trade it off when you discover the shortcomings isn't exactly being realistic...

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no kidding

It was Ruger's reputation for recalls that prompted my comment on someone else being the recall subject, but how's trading this handgun off dishonest?  Ruger has apparently built a firearm that isn't up to your expectations and perhaps it's not quite ready for prime time, who knows, you apparently are unhappy enough with it to ponder contacting Ruger regarding build quality and performance so deciding to trade off a poorly made, poorly functioning, questionably manufactured firearm is now dishonest?  I've dumped every firearm I've owned that didn't meet expectations, I only own Colt, Noveske, and Wilson now.  If it's dishonest to sell off things that are not a quality build then I'm certainly guilty as charged.  If you wish to keep a low quality poorly operating firearm that's your business, but to believe it dishonest to trade it off when you discover the shortcomings isn't exactly being realistic...

I know it has a problem that others apparently don't, that means my gun has a problem, not the design in general.

Trading off the gun knowing that would be dishonest in my opinion, and I'm not going to do it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Disclose what?  That's it's a piece of poorly made junk?  That should be obvious, but if you want to be one of Ruger's test subjects go right ahead, but don't pretend you have the high moral ground because I'd trade off a dog of a handgun...

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the heads up.  I'll be taking this one off my list.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Didn't you hear, there is a recall on them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Disclose what?  That's it's a piece of poorly made junk?  That should be obvious, but if you want to be one of Ruger's test subjects go right ahead, but don't pretend you have the high moral ground because I'd trade off a dog of a handgun...

No matter how you spin it trading/selling  this gun off without letting the person know is dishonest period.  It has nothing to do with the moral high ground it just basic honesty.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I guess the SR-22 is just living-up to it's P-22 roots.

As to the feeding problem it might just be your mag springs have not took a set yet. I've seen that happen with new mags. I had a new Ruger mag for a Mk-2 that took a while for it to take a set. It had the same 1st round feeding problem.

Try loading one round less in the mag and see what happens. If it runs OK then just keep your mags fully loaded and the problem should go away in time when the spring takes a set.

If all else fails and you can get your $$$ back get you a Bersa Thunder 22.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Didn't you hear, there is a recall on them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Odds are...not a joke.

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#23]
The first round failure that you are experiencing could be related to the bullet profile- my GSG, for example will do the same thing if load ten Federal 36 gr hollow points in the magazine- but will work fine with 9. If I load 40 grain projectiles, it  works fine with 10....
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The first round failure that you are experiencing could be related to the bullet profile- my GSG, for example will do the same thing if load ten Federal 36 gr hollow points in the magazine- but will work fine with 9. If I load 40 grain projectiles, it  works fine with 10....

I read the gunblast review and he claimed it ran perfectly with enough cheapy wal-mart crap, which is what I was using.

I was using the 555 bulk pack, forget who made it or what bullet weight it was
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Did you contact the company yet?
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 6:44:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Did you contact the company yet?

Not yet, was busy last week, I'm going to call them this afternoon

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Called them today, they are sending me a label to overnight-it to them on their dime.

Pretty happy with Ruger CS
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 3:24:35 AM EDT
[#28]
If I had a gun the way OP described it, i would not just sell it off to let someone else be the ruger recall subject as you have said.  I'd do the honest thing and deal with Ruger directly, or if I were going to sell I'd fully disclose it's problem and price it accordingly to perhaps a gunsmith who could easily tune it up if that is possible.  If the flaw was visible, OP would not have bought it.    this is a problem with full operation, which would be a material defect that would be a latent defect a buyer would not realize until he went to the range.  You know what you meant.

This has nothing to do with moral high ground, but an oath I took decades ago to never lie, cheat, or steal, or tolerate those who do.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If I had a gun the way OP described it, i would not just sell it off to let someone else be the ruger recall subject as you have said.  I'd do the honest thing and deal with Ruger directly, or if I were going to sell I'd fully disclose it's problem and price it accordingly to perhaps a gunsmith who could easily tune it up if that is possible.  If the flaw was visible, OP would not have bought it.    this is a problem with full operation, which would be a material defect that would be a latent defect a buyer would not realize until he went to the range.  You know what you meant.

This has nothing to do with moral high ground, but an oath I took decades ago to never lie, cheat, or steal, or tolerate those who do.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Clichéd platitudes aside, the fact remains, rubbish is rubbish and if you feel the need to purchase low quality merchandise and then attribute yourself feign moral obligation as to disposition, more power to you.  Ruger delights in stamping and roll marking all manner of warnings on their 'products', the time has come for them to add one more... caveat emptor
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 5:54:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Is that wear "Normal" on that pistol????  I don't think so.   I have a Ruger 22/45 that is about 3 years old and have fired maybe 5,000 rounds through it.  It shows no problems like your Ruger pistol has.
However, the next Ruger pistol in .22 will be one with a steel frame and slide.   Something about the plastic frame that bugs me.  Plus it is a bear sometimes to re-assemble.

Did you buy it new or used?

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Is that wear "Normal" on that pistol????  I don't think so.   I have a Ruger 22/45 that is about 3 years old and have fired maybe 5,000 rounds through it.  It shows no problems like your Ruger pistol has.
However, the next Ruger pistol in .22 will be one with a steel frame and slide.   Something about the plastic frame that bugs me.  Plus it is a bear sometimes to re-assemble.

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

New, they said its not normal.

My buddy bought one and its running great, no wear at all where mine did, I guess I just got a lemon
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Still waiting
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#34]
It's been over a month and no word from them or letter in the mail, kind of turning me off towards ruger.

And everytime I try to call they are too busy to answer
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Got it back today.

"Cosmetic issue does not affect function, slide assembly replaced as courtesy to customer"

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:29:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Got it back today.

"Cosmetic issue does not affect function, slide assembly replaced as courtesy to customer"

And I still stand by what I posted earlier in this thread and was taken to task for by the moral majority, it's poorly made, just sell it and move on...

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:32:19 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got it back today.

And I still stand by what I posted earlier in this thread and was taken to task for by the moral majority, it's poorly made, just sell it and move on...

I stand by what I said, I suspect it was damaged (ergo a defect) from the start and the finish merely wore off and exposed it.

I bet the 2nd slide will be fine.  Ruger replaced it, all seems well!

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got it back today.

I don't think it's poorly made, I think mine was out of spec. It is a pretty nice pistol, my friend has put 3K+ through his now with only a few stoppages that were ammo related.

I am selling it, but I fully disclosing that it went to Ruger for repairs and including the work order form.

I'm going to get an M&P-22 instead to use as a .22 trainer for my M&P's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top