Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/7/2012 8:52:55 AM EDT
What does the hive mind think of this truck?

Should I fo?

Are gas prices going to instantly rise to $5 a gallon?

Should I drive unreliable POS cars and invest lose my money in the bipolar stock market?

ETA: Something like this http://www.inventory.ford.com/2012-Ford-F-150/SearchDealerLot?zipCode=76180&vin=1FTFW1ET0CFA19733&dealerPAcode=02486

The following image posted by Draco223:

ETA 2: Here is the truecar estimate on the above F-150.

Here is the X-plan price:

X-plan is slightly under the truecar great price threshold.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Lariat's make my pee pee tingle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
They're certainly nice.  From my limited reading of the various forums, don't expect the mileage to be that great.  16/19 seems to be the norm.

For the price they're asking, I think they are a lot of money.  Unless you have 2-3x that amount saved, or take home $5K/mo, financially you'd be crazy to buy one IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

They're certainly nice.  From my limited reading of the various forums, don't expect the mileage to be that great.  16/19 seems to be the norm.

For the price they're asking, I think they are a lot of money.  Unless you have 2-3x that amount saved, or take home $5K/mo, financially you'd be crazy to buy one IMHO.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yep.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#5]
do eeet!

I love mine! (2011 EcoBeast)

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Was thinking about this color:

But without the chrome package.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#7]
i like the chrome package, i have it on mine, but in 2011, or at least on the white ones, they didn't do those ugly chrome mirrors.

the blue is a good color, too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They are a lot, but I can get X-plan pricing through my job - $2000 in rebates - $1000 trade in assist - $1000 if I finance through Ford.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#9]
From what I was reading in a magazine at the dentists office, you can get one with the 5.0 and save a lot of cash, seems like the 5.0 was a fraction less powerful then the ecoboost.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
From what I was reading in a magazine at the dentists office, you can get one with the 5.0 and save a lot of cash, seems like the 5.0 was a fraction less powerful then the ecoboost.  

the EcoBoost was only a ~ $785 upgrade from the base V-6, IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had a 2011 for a couple of months now and it's a nice truck. lots of power.  I got the off road package so I have the rear locker.  
Good luck getting the advertised MPG.  Depends on your gears, how hard you drive and how flat the area you live in is.  If towing is important to you pay attention to which tow package is on the truck.  I didn't look close enough and got a truck with the standard tow package instead of the max package.
Also, the ecoboost is hard to put a winch on because of the intercooler for the turbos.  I'm still trying to find something that will work.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the idea of 365 hp of twin turbocharged goodness.

Does anyone have the Sony radio/nav system? If so, what do you think?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've had a 2011 for a couple of months now and it's a nice truck. lots of power.  I got the off road package so I have the rear locker.  
Good luck getting the advertised MPG.  Depends on your gears, how hard you drive and how flat the area you live in is.  If towing is important to you pay attention to which tow package is on the truck.  I didn't look close enough and got a truck with the standard tow package instead of the max package.
Also, the ecoboost is hard to put a winch on because of the intercooler for the turbos.  I'm still trying to find something that will work.

Does yours have the trailer brake controller?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i went with the base sync system and it works fine, even for navigation. I'm sure the larger nav screen is cool though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope it is $750 from the 5.0

ETA: something around $4,500 from the base V6 to add the eco.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had a shortage in 2011 of the NAV system, not sure if they have any more supply issues. If you go with the sync, you get turn by turn navigation (with a green text display on the center console, plus voice commands). You also get access to a lot of other "add-on" features via the system. Free for the first year and $70 after that per year (IIRC)

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes but that doesn't mean it has the max package. That can come with the standard tow package.  From all the conflicting info I have read on the web about the difference between the package is that the trailer hitch is different between them. I looked at my trailer hitch and it says max of 10500lbs so expect I have the standard package.  

Can any other owners tell me what their hitches say?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as you get the towing package, you can add the controller later. You pay for the controller and another hour of tech. time to have them program it (need the dealership computer). I am saying this, because if you find a package you want and the only thing that is hindering you purchase is the brake controller (again) if you have the tow package you can add it later....

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes but that doesn't mean it has the max package. That can come with the standard tow package.  From all the conflicting info I have read on the web about the difference between the package is that the trailer hitch is different between them. I looked at my trailer hitch and it says max of 10500lbs so expect I have the standard package.  

i'll check mine today when I leave work and let you know.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Not in a million years would I pay that much for that truck. I have spent a bit on a few work trucks. But they were diesel quad cab 4x4 duallys and were built for towing work trailers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have the mirrors that have the "telescopic" option, then you have the max-tow. If yours don't extend out...you have the "standard" towing package. Easiest way to tell...

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as you get the towing package, you can add the controller later. You pay for the controller and another hour of tech. time to have them program it (need the dealership computer). I am saying this, because if you find a package you want and the only thing that is hindering you purchase is the brake controller (again) if you have the tow package you can add it later....

There is a difference between the two tow packs though.  
Standard package = 9600lbs
Max package = 11200lbs
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I want one of those F150's (Platinum Edition) so bad. But the price on new trucks seems to have been going up 10% per year for the last 10yrs. I just can't bring myself to pay those prices for a half ton truck.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#25]
If I was going to buy a (new) truck today from any of the 3 makers in a half ton, it would most definately be the Ford Lariat. I love their interiors.  My gf has a 2000 4x4 quad cab dually Lariat 7.3 diesel and I really love that thing.  

But holy crap! The prices they are charging nowadays scares me away!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Max package = 11200lbs

Correct...see my prior post on how to tell between the max and standard tow without having to spend too much time...you can get the controller with both options.

Also keep in mind that UNLESS you get the tow package(standard or max) you will not be able to set gears, etc.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have the mirrors that have the "telescopic" option, then you have the max-tow. If yours don't extend out...you have the "standard" towing package. Easiest way to tell...

I have heard this before but also heard that in 2011 some max packages came without the slide out mirrors.  I'm not sure what to believe.  

Sorry for the high jack op.
Best part of the 2012 year is you get the 36 gallon tank instead of the 26.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope it is $750 from the 5.0

ETA: something around $4,500 from the base V6 to add the eco.

I keep my vehicles until the wheels fall off - and can imagine how much "fun" it is to keep two turbos and a 2150 PSI fuel system working properly over the long haul.

I think I'd rather have the 5.0, thank yew.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard this before but also heard that in 2011 some max packages came without the slide out mirrors.  I'm not sure what to believe.  

and you can put the electronic transfer case in neutral...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Link added to OP.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I wish that I could get the base model with about 2/3 of that engine and 30% better fuel economy, with a 6 speed manual and a simple full time 4WD setup.  I like power.  Who doesn't?  I would really like to average 20mpg city and 27mpg highway on 87 octane regular in a long bed half ton.  I see that as a selling point.

Of course, I am one of those people who want manual windows and locks, and no manufacturer really caters to us anymore.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow! that would be nice! I would only have to fill up once a month!!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Max package = 11200lbs

Correct...see my prior post on how to tell between the max and standard tow without having to spend too much time...you can get the controller with both options.

Also keep in mind that UNLESS you get the tow package(standard or max) you will not be able to set gears, etc.

Do you know of any other differences than the hitch and the mirrors between the packages?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I've got 2010 4x4 Lariat Supercrew...the year before Ecoboost was available.

Great truck.  I do recommend!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#35]
May help: www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1263543_Bought_a_new_truck__F150_Ecoboost_.html

Here's mine ...................

2011 F-150 XLT (EcoBoost V6 - 365HP-420TQ/3.55 rear/tow-haul/chrome 18" wheels/SYNC) ...............

It's garage mate: s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/drfcolt/Mustang%20GT

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Link added to OP.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Trucks just keep getting bigger and bigger, it's ridiculous. Everyone doesn't need a god damn BIG RIG for daily driving. They need to start scaling down trucks back to original dimensions. I love how everyone things because the name has "eco" in it, you're going to sip gas like a Prius. If you're not pulling 65K plus and have super duper stable work/job you're F N nuts to buy something new right now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Trucks just keep getting bigger and bigger, it's ridiculous. Everyone doesn't need a god damn BIG RIG for daily driving. They need to start scaling down trucks back to original dimensions. I love how everyone things because the name has "eco" in it, you're going to sip gas like a Prius. If you're not pulling 65K plus and have super duper stable work/job you're F N nuts to buy something new right now.

Define EVERYONE?

This is my 12th9th 4x4 truck...I tow...I hunt...I play in the mud...this IS the best MPG that I have EVER gotten in a truck...and I can tow with no problems! No kicking up the revs going up inclines, no problems when attempting to pass other vehicles.

I never purchased it because of the ECO...I know it is a marketing move, more power to them. Prior to the 2008 gas problems this engine was "announced" and it was called TWIN-FORCE...IMHO not any better than ECO. With that said I buy a truck for MANY other reasons on top of the ones already stated.

I get 17MPG with premium and 16MPG with regular....to be able to get that in a semi-consistent basis with prior trucks I had to drive like grandma, with tail wind and an incline. If i drive like grandma with this one and no tailwind and no incline I average 18MPG + (3.73 rear, 4X4 SCREW). I have no complaints, I average ~100miles more per tank than I did with my last F150 (putting 22-23 gallons in per fill). It does more than I ever hopped for(I don't buy into all the marketing hype...trial by fire is the only way to know...), I got more than I was expecting!!!

Sorry to the OP for all the hijacks...

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#39]
$48,000.00 MSRP?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

In all fairness most manufactures do create classes of auto's from little cars all the way to large trucks.
Buy what you want in whatever size you want, don't worry about what other people want.

If they want to waste their money on big doofy trucks that don't maneuver or brake well and get shitty gas mileage  to drive to the office, let them.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#41]

I too am in the market for a new truck from Ford. My current 5.4 2004 XLT has 99k miles and is ready for a trade in.

If you are getting the Lariat, get the 6.2 motor. I'm not sold on the EB...why get a big truck with a 6 cylinder motor? If you want MPG's, get a car.

Three things I don't like about the new trucks. The open differential/E-Locker, the Traction Control, and the rear-end options.

The gears are made so Ford can meet the ridiculous EPA fuel mileage standards. I doubt they are much good for towing on the lower end.

Unlike the LS differential, you can't drive around all day with the e-locker. For you in Texas, this might not be that big of a deal, but here in the snowy/muddy states, it's going to suck. I'm already ready posts about this on the F150online.com forums. Also, there is no way to fully disengage the Traction Control. Sure, an e-locker in 4x4 is great, but if you can't fully disengage the traction control and other "safety" features, it really does no good. How are you supposed to spin the wheels fast enough when stuck to clear the treads of snow/mud? Who wants to drive the whole way to work in 4x4 because of the open dif, when you can do it in 4x2 with a LS?!

Also, what's the cost to fix an electronic locker? What pumps and actuators are involved? To me, a clutch pack is much easier and cheaper to replace.

The Raptor has the technology to fully disengage the Traction Control, I don't know why the others don't have that option.

I think I'm going with another XLT Screw, 6.5' bed, 5.0 with the 3.73 LS.

It seems if Ford is making a pussified truck for girlie men who don't use their trucks for intended purposes anymore.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

It seems if Ford is making a pussified truck for girlie men who don't use their trucks for intended purposes anymore.

Ford stopped making trucks in 1997.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Dang, for 5K more you can be rolling in a F250 King Ranch.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I have an '11 with the ecoboost and i love it.  I have the offroad package (3.73 rear) and have averaged 16 mpg overall, with 90% of my mileage being city driving.  I'm at 6,000 miles and i used my car starter everyday.  The eco provides a ton of power with good mileage.  I only wished it sounded as good as the 5.0.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#47]
I absolutely love my 2011 FX4.  Have everything except vented seats, Sony sound, and nav.  I live in Alaska so the vented seats and nav system are pointless here and was an extra $5k for all those upgrades.  I've got the 5.0 and was getting 17.5mpg on my commute, which is half city/highyway during the summer.  I like my FX4 tuxedo black.  No shinny metal on the exterior.  When it's clean, it looks baaaadd aaasssss.

ETA: with X-plan pricing and incentives I'm into it for about $34k, about $8k off of sticker.  I didn't think that was too bad at all.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#48]
I love the idea of ecoboost, but I just don't want a truck that big.  The smaller truck (new Ranger) they sell in Europe, with a smaller version of the ecoboost or a turbodiesel, would be perfect for me.

Quoted:

Unlike the LS differential, you can't drive around all day with the e-locker. For you in Texas, this might not be that big of a deal, but here in the snowy/muddy states, it's going to suck. I'm already ready posts about this on the F150online.com forums. Also, there is no way to fully disengage the Traction Control. Sure, an e-locker in 4x4 is great, but if you can't fully disengage the traction control and other "safety" features, it really does no good. How are you supposed to spin the wheels fast enough when stuck to clear the treads of snow/mud? Who wants to drive the whole way to work in 4x4 because of the open dif, when you can do it in 4x2 with a LS?!

Also, what's the cost to fix an electronic locker? What pumps and actuators are involved? To me, a clutch pack is much easier and cheaper to replace.

The Raptor has the technology to fully disengage the Traction Control, I don't know why the others don't have that option.

I think I'm going with another XLT Screw, 6.5' bed, 5.0 with the 3.73 LS.

My VW has the option to turn off the traction control, but the stability control is always on.  The only I way I know of to turn it off is to disconnect a wheel speed sensor.  I guess if you KNOW you're getting into some slop you could do that, but of course you shouldn't have to.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I just sold my truck today, guy picks it up Monday....which means I need to drop that $$$ on a down-payment for something a little newer.

Unfortunately, I REFUSE to buy a vehicle with a "first year" engine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I love the idea of ecoboost, but I just don't want a truck that big.  The smaller truck (new Ranger) they sell in Europe, with a smaller version of the ecoboost or a turbodiesel, would be perfect for me.

+1.  Do want:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top